PDA

View Full Version : Rumor/Report: Coyotes Expected to Name 26-Year Old John Chayka as GM

Lt. Dan
05-04-2016, 06:25 PM
@CraigCustance

Big news coming in Arizona. Coyotes expected to name 26-year-old John Chayka the GM at Thursday press conference.

Will post more info as it comes, but this is pretty crazy. :cool:

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/a727e0bd6df04b2c91b535c8eb249e04/ap-source-coyotes-promote-26-year-old-chayka-gm

GLENDALE, Ariz. (AP) — A person familiar with the situation has told The Associated Press that the Arizona Coyotes will promote 26-year-old John Chayka to general manager, making him the youngest GM in NHL history.

The Coyotes have scheduled a news conference Thursday to introduce Chayka, the person said on condition of anonymity because the official announcement has not been made.

Chayka will replace Don Maloney, who was fired on April 11 after nine seasons as GM.

Morphinity
05-04-2016, 06:33 PM
What am I doing with my life?

For reference, this is what the company he co-founded (Stathletes) does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=40&v=G5OVIT4boPI

NYRangers92
05-04-2016, 06:47 PM
lol me and him got our bachelor's in the same year.

Dunny
05-04-2016, 06:49 PM
Gotta be hard for Maloney to swallow the fact he got fired for an analytics kid in a sport where analytics are mostly retarded.

Phil in Absentia
05-04-2016, 07:05 PM
Except that that's not even close to being true, and this is a trend that's already affected on-ice performance (players) as well as coaching, so it stands to reason that it's going to affect front offices as well.

This is bold, but let's not pretend Chayka is a snot-nosed rookie being thrown to the wolves. He's not. He's been acting as an AGM since May of 2015, and NHL front offices aren't one-man operations any longer. He'll be surrounded by a number of bright hockey minds, and they'll act in a larger consensus than they used to. Even Gorton admitted to that here when he was finally named GM.

General Manager positions aren't dictatorships. They're more like democratic republics.

Dunny
05-04-2016, 07:15 PM
I think both my points remain. Not even baseball really hires many analytical driven GM's, and that's in a sport where they are wayyyyy more useful. They absolutely are a piece of the puzzle in hockey but firing a guy like Maloney to hire a kid when the kid already worked for you? I dunno about that. He isn't going to have some kind of insight that nobody else has like the A's did at one time in baseball. The cats out the bag.

Phil in Absentia
05-04-2016, 07:18 PM
I wouldn't have fired Maloney either, so we agree there. We just don't agree on the analytics aspect.

Pete
05-04-2016, 07:24 PM
IMO you'd have your GM, and your analytics guy. I don't think one person can really do both to 100% of ability.

Need the checks and balances.

Puck Head
05-04-2016, 07:28 PM
IMO you'd have your GM, and your analytics guy. I don't think one person can really do both to 100% of ability. Need the checks and balances.

Agreed 100%

If I owned the club, I'd have a leader sitting in that GM position and directly under that scouting along with analytics

Dunny
05-04-2016, 07:41 PM
IMO you'd have your GM, and your analytics guy. I don't think one person can really do both to 100% of ability.

Need the checks and balances.

That's my feeling as well.

Phil in Absentia
05-04-2016, 07:46 PM
I also agree with that. But the leader has to be open to the values his scouts are telling him as well as what his analytics guys are telling him.

SaveByRichter35
05-04-2016, 08:06 PM
26? Shit, good for him. What was his position in the franchise prior?

Phil in Absentia
05-04-2016, 08:28 PM
26? Shit, good for him. What was his position in the franchise prior?

Assistant GM. Hired last summer.

CreaseCrusader91
05-05-2016, 02:09 AM
If you looked at the video included he isn't so much of an analytics guy in the strategy of say Corsi. He's utilizing video data and breaking it down into systems and stuff like zone time which is useful. As in, team X tries to gain the zone 75% of the time going D to D and then sending forward X here.

Once the NHL expands their program that was piloted at the ASG, you will see more teams utilize this information. To me, this is more akin to baseball where teams look at numbers for shifts etc. This is taking actual events and situations over a period and putting them into buckets in order to create an actionable strategy.

This is only more of an advanced strategy to what coaches like Fred Shero did by watching the Russian national team, and implementing the five man system etc to do something that hadn't been otherwise scouted.

To me analytics has become a buzzword akin to millennials. Yea I understand there is the thought of not wanting to get caught up in the numbers, but I'll tell you there's much more to it. The process of getting the numbers is where you learn.

TL/DR: smart hire and one that should work given makeup of team now and going forward.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pete
05-05-2016, 06:05 AM
Sounds like he'd make a better coach than GM.

Doesn't change my opinion. That background just doesn't sound like GM... And he's inexperienced. Should probably get more seasoning as an AGM.

CreaseCrusader91
05-05-2016, 08:21 AM
The game is changing though and most teams are smart enough to realize that. It make sense to have a GM who knows how their team is going to play and target fits.

The coach is going to call the shots, the GM is going to be the one to give him the players to deploy.

I understand he is young and probably could have benefited from what Dubas is doing in Toronto, but for what it sound the Coyotes want him to do in terms of utilizing and cultivating data more going forward, he's ahead of the curve compared to the rest of the league.

Pete
05-05-2016, 08:31 AM
My point is the person in that analytics role doesn't need to be the GM. Especially inexperienced at 26.

When the cap was instituted it changed the game. Teams hired capologists. They didn't make the cap guy the GM.

I don't think the analytics guy is the guy who should negotiate contracts and trades. It's a different kind of savvy for each role.

Just my $.02. It really has nothing to do with embracing analytics or a changing game.

And I don't really care about the Coyotes. If the Rangers did it, I'd be pissed.

Morphinity
05-05-2016, 11:40 AM
I'd be thrilled if the Rangers did it. This organization needs new blood. No more Sather re-treads. It's a fucking disaster.

CreaseCrusader91
05-05-2016, 04:11 PM
My point is the person in that analytics role doesn't need to be the GM. Especially inexperienced at 26.

When the cap was instituted it changed the game. Teams hired capologists. They didn't make the cap guy the GM.

I don't think the analytics guy is the guy who should negotiate contracts and trades. It's a different kind of savvy for each role.

Just my $.02. It really has nothing to do with embracing analytics or a changing game.

And I don't really care about the Coyotes. If the Rangers did it, I'd be pissed.

No I get that and agree for the most part. My point was that unless the person you hire has some power, what good are they? If you have a bunch of old school hockey guys they may just override said hire.

Pete
05-05-2016, 04:13 PM
No I get that and agree for the most part. My point was that unless the person you hire has some power, what good are they? If you have a bunch of old school hockey guys they may just override said hire.
I guess that is true. Never really looked at it that way. Fair points.

CreaseCrusader91
05-05-2016, 04:15 PM
I guess that is true. Never really looked at it that way. Fair points.

Yeah, I agree you need a negotiator and someone who speaks the language of the other guys in the league. That's why I like the LL/Dubas etc setup in TOR. It's my understand that ARI made this change because Maloney was unwilling to get players who fit the style that Tippett wanted.

Now they have someone who thinks the same way and can make actionable decisions.

Obviously each situation is different though.

Blue Heaven
05-05-2016, 05:03 PM
Are other GMs especially older/long time GMs going to respect a 26 year old GM? They're probably going to go in negotiations with the mindset that its like he's playing fantasy hockey or NHL17 on the PS4

Phil in Absentia
05-05-2016, 06:05 PM
Lost in this is the five-year extension for Tippet, who was also prompted to VP or Hockey Ops.

He'll be working hand-in-hand with Chayka if you ask me. Chayka simply gets final say.

Phil in Absentia
05-05-2016, 06:07 PM
Are other GMs especially older/long time GMs going to respect a 26 year old GM? They're probably going to go in negotiations with the mindset that its like he's playing fantasy hockey or NHL17 on the PS4

And they'd be fools to do so. If he's smart, (and clearly he is some kind of brilliant to have been hired by an NHL team, have stated his own company, and been promoted to general manager within a year of his hire all by the age of 26) they'll deal just fine.

He's not some pimply-faced, scared shitless little kid in fifty-feet over his head.

CreaseCrusader91
05-05-2016, 07:44 PM
Lost in this is the five-year extension for Tippet, who was also prompted to VP or Hockey Ops.

He'll be working hand-in-hand with Chayka if you ask me. Chayka simply gets final say.

A VP being overruled by a manager is an interesting dynamic. Not likely to happen but that's pretty interesting.

That and him holding that title while being the coach. That's something you see in the NBA.

Phil in Absentia
05-05-2016, 07:51 PM
That's not what I meant. I mean Tippet believes in this approach. He's got the experience Chayka doesn't. I'd imagine they work together most of the time.

Pete
05-05-2016, 07:59 PM
And they'd be fools to do so. If he's smart, (and clearly he is some kind of brilliant to have been hired by an NHL team, have stated his own company, and been promoted to general manager within a year of his hire all by the age of 26) they'll deal just fine.

He's not some pimply-faced, scared shitless little kid in fifty-feet over his head.

Being good at math doesn't make you good at negotiations.

Phil in Absentia
05-05-2016, 08:11 PM
He's more than "good at math". That's an oversimplification of who he is.

Pete
05-05-2016, 08:25 PM
He's more than "good at math". That's an oversimplification of who he is.
Point still holds.

We work together. You do one thing. I do another. Both aspects are needed to do a job well.

In my experience, producers who try to design and designers who try to produce don't do either particularly well because both demand different skill sets and a lot of attention.

Mike
05-05-2016, 08:33 PM
Fwiw, on yesterday's NHL Tonight they said not only will Tippet be working with this kid, but they will be hiring hockey minds to surround him.

Phil in Absentia
05-05-2016, 08:41 PM
Point still holds.

We work together. You do one thing. I do another. Both aspects are needed to do a job well.

In my experience, producers who try to design and designers who try to produce don't do either particularly well because both demand different skill sets and a lot of attention.

Of course, but I don't think in this case that he's being thrown to the wolves at all. He's already got Tippet as something of a right-hand man, and a full-on believer in their analytics driven approach. They're also still shopping for an AGM who'll report to him. I wouldn't be surprised to see a more experienced veteran hired for that.

Pete
05-05-2016, 08:44 PM
Of course, but I don't think in this case that he's being thrown to the wolves at all. He's already got Tippet as something of a right-hand man, and a full-on believer in their analytics driven approach. They're also still shopping for an AGM who'll report to him. I wouldn't be surprised to see a more experienced veteran hired for that.
I guess I just don't buy the title then at that point.