PDA

View Full Version : Expansion Draft Rules Agreement between NHL/NHLPA

AmericanJesus
04-29-2016, 11:48 AM
http://www.thefourthperiod.com/columnists/pagnotta/dp160429.html

The format is unchanged, however, as teams will be able to protect seven forwards, three defensemen and a goalie, or eight total skaters and one goalie, and will lose only one player to one expansion team or two players if two new teams enter the NHL. Players with one or two years of professional experience are also exempt from the draft.

The big question on everyone's mind is what happens to players with no-trade or no-movement clauses?

Again, this is not officially confirmed, but from what I've gathered, players with a no-movement clause that is valid through the expansion draft will be protected as part of a team's overall list, and not in addition to it. So, for example, if Forward X has a no-move clause, he will count as one of the players a team must add to their protection list.

Players with just a no-trade clause, by the sounds of things, can be exposed in an expansion draft.

Still huge question marks for the Rangers. The only three players that have NMC are Hank, Staal and Girardi. Hank will have to be protected. Staal's converts to a NMC in 18/19 so if he's still on the team, he will have to be one of the three protected defenders. Girardi's NMC converts to a NTC in 17/18. If he's still on the team, it may come down to when the Expansion Draft occurs. Contracts run through July 1st. Or maybe this will mean for the 17/18 season, in which case we could expose Girardi.

As to first or second year pros, it gets tricky. Do they mean NHL pros or just North American Pros? Do they mean players who will be playing their second Pro year in 17/18 or who played their second pro year in 16/17? Did Skjei burn a pro year this season? Will Buchnevich (if he plays next season for the Rangers) be exempt?

I'm sure we'll get more clarity as things move along.

Morphinity
06-05-2016, 11:49 AM
More clarification from Uncle Larry:
http://nypost.com/2016/06/04/how-nhls-mad-parity-quest-hurts-players-wallets-ambitious-teams/

Second, Slap Shots has learned that rules for the 2017 expansion draft that will precede Las Vegas’ anticipated 2017-18 admission to the league as its 31st franchise (“Done deal,” we’re told), will compel teams to protect players with no-move clauses even if they or the contracts themselves expire at the end of 2016-17.

This means if the expansion draft is held, say, on June 21, 2017, teams will be obligated to protect players who, a) would become unrestricted free agents 10 days later; or, b) would be able to be waived or traded 10 days later.

The Rangers need to protect Girardi and Staal.

Fuck everything.

Phil in Absentia
06-05-2016, 12:08 PM
Awful, but expected. They're going to just have to bite the bullet and buy Girardi out after this season IMO. No other choice barring some out of left field trade scenario (think David Clarkson).

Blue Heaven
06-05-2016, 01:01 PM
The NHL is so f'd up trying to screw teams that adhere to the CBA rules but find ways around certain language in the CBA. The NHL should kind of make it fair for all the teams, instead of having the expansion draft in June, have the expansion draft the first week of July so the contracts with NTC/NMC could come off the books, and start Free Agency July 10th or so. But all Bettman wants to do is screw the teams that want to try and win (Chicago), so the teams like Florida, Phoenix, Calgary have a "chance"

Phil in Absentia
06-05-2016, 01:49 PM
We can argue to the end of days about whether a league with at least one-third of its teams failing to make a profit need to be in the expansion business (they don't), but I can't blame Bettman and co. one bit for not wanting to force expansion teams to come in and suck shit by being given the dregs of the league as some kind of right of passage. If you're going to expand, do it right and give the team a shot at actaully doing well.

It blows that it comes at the cost of success, and I think the NHL has an issue with parity (secondary issue), but I can't blame them for this.

Bugg
06-05-2016, 08:17 PM
Just move the Coyotes to Vegas and be done with it. Bettman is a complete asshole.

Vodka Drunkenski
06-07-2016, 05:45 PM
Per Brooks: UPDATE: NHL expansion draft 'protection' rules not as horrible as thought nyp.st/2163v5D via @nypost

We might be able to let Girardi go afterall

Puck Head
06-07-2016, 06:02 PM
Per Brooks: UPDATE: NHL expansion draft 'protection' rules not as horrible as thought nyp.st/2163v5D via @nypost We might be able to let Girardi go afterall

I doubt any team would be interested in him or that contract.
They key is not having to burn protected player status on him

Phil in Absentia
06-07-2016, 06:03 PM
It allows them to not protect him, sure, but I have serious doubts that anyone is claiming him regardless.

Like Puck Head says, this is more a minor victory in being allowed to actively protect someone they actually want to.

G is getting traded at 50% retention after this season (when his NMC changes to NTC) or he's being bought out IMO. Likely the latter.

Vodka Drunkenski
06-07-2016, 08:56 PM
Why do you guys have to ruin all the fun!

Pete
06-07-2016, 09:08 PM
I doubt any team would be interested in him or that contract.
They key is not having to burn protected player status on him
That's the biggest win.