PDA

View Full Version : Gretzky Laments the 'Grinding Game' That the NHL Has Become

Phil in Absentia
04-07-2016, 08:54 PM
In an interview with the New York Times, the Great One lamented the “grinding game” that he sees today in the NHL.

“When I was 10 years old, they’d throw a puck on the ice and say, ‘Go score,'” he said. “Now, at 10 years old, the kids are taught to play in their lanes. Defensemen stay back. Everybody blocks shots. I mean, my goodness, I don’t think I ever blocked a shot, and I killed penalties every single game. I thought goaltenders were paid to block shots, not forwards. It’s changed completely. I think the biggest thing we’ve lost is a little bit of our creativity and imagination in general.”

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/04/06/gretzky-laments-the-grinding-game-that-the-nhl-has-become/

Pete
04-07-2016, 10:52 PM
:clap:

Mike
04-07-2016, 11:28 PM
"Defense wins championships" has taken over in every sport. It definitely kills the game in some sports, but it's effective and also very true. Now in hockey they've replaced defense with puck possession. You can look at it in several ways.

Dunny
04-07-2016, 11:39 PM
It's just a matter of efficiency. The only difference between your Wednesday night game and an 1980's NHL game is talent.

Pete
04-08-2016, 07:53 AM
It's just a matter of efficiency. The only difference between your Wednesday night game and an 1980's NHL game is talent.
I don't understand this post, but agree that talent dilution due to over expansion is definitely part of it.

Future
04-08-2016, 08:27 AM
Stop players from leaving their feet to block a shot, and you don't need this critique.

Phil in Absentia
04-08-2016, 10:51 AM
Stop players from leaving their feet to block a shot, and you don't need this critique.

Sort of. I think it would help (to increase scoring), but that's not necessarily solving the overarching issue of a lack of creativity and imagination. That's coming systemically by the league and feeder leagues beating "the fun" out of players so they're all "good 'ol boys" by the time they reach the show.

It's a systematic, institutionalized tactic bring done right now to actually change the behavior of the leagues more personable young stars. Subban, Seguin, Hall, Etc.

NYR2711
04-08-2016, 12:23 PM
I have to say that I agree with him. I miss having the dynamic scorers and talking about who was going to be the 50 goal scorers. Now it's who is gonna be a 35 goal scorer. The game has gotten a little boring. I love it still, but it's gotten boring from when I was a kid. Your never gonna have dynasty teams like Montreal, the Oilers and Islanders were back then. Maybe making the nets bigger would bring the game back some.

Puck Head
04-08-2016, 12:53 PM
I don't understand this post, but agree that talent dilution due to over expansion is definitely part of it.

I disagree.
The talent level is higher than ever before. Since 1980 we've had Europeans introduced into the NHL and Americans now comprise 1/3 players.

Issue is the talent simply doesn't have much room to work now.

Future
04-08-2016, 12:58 PM
Sort of. I think it would help (to increase scoring), but that's not necessarily solving the overarching issue of a lack of creativity and imagination. That's coming systemically by the league and feeder leagues beating "the fun" out of players so they're all "good 'ol boys" by the time they reach the show.
You can't be creative when guys are literally laying, taking up 8-9 feet of ice, in passing and shooting lanes.

And I agree with Puck Head that players are more talented now than they were before. They're bigger, stronger, faster and have far superior shots than in the past. The same goes for defensemen, especially when it comes to size. It's a lot easier to dance around a guy who is 6'1" 190 than a guy who is 6'5 220 laying on the ice.

Puck Head
04-08-2016, 01:09 PM
Hockey players are simply 5x the skaters then they were 30 years ago. Especially in regards to defenseman

ThirtyONE
04-08-2016, 09:24 PM
Sounds like an old guy complaining about the game that used to be.

Pete
04-09-2016, 08:22 AM
I disagree.
The talent level is higher than ever before. Since 1980 we've had Europeans introduced into the NHL and Americans now comprise 1/3 players. .

That doesn't mean the talent level is higher.

Puck Head
04-09-2016, 04:18 PM
That doesn't mean the talent level is higher.

But it is

Pete
04-09-2016, 05:04 PM
But it is
That's certainly your opinion.

Define talent though. There's definitely less offensive creativity, and more guys blocking shots.

Guess talent doesn't mean a whole lot if someone's willing to stand in front of the puck.

Puck Head
04-09-2016, 06:34 PM
That's certainly your opinion. Define talent though. There's definitely less offensive creativity, and more guys blocking shots. Guess talent doesn't mean a whole lot if someone's willing to stand in front of the puck.

Skating, stick handing, shooting.
And it's not only my opinion but the opinion of most in the hockey world.

The defensive systems and tactics now bred into the game can mitigate that talent, but make no mistake, the talent is still there.

Pete
04-09-2016, 06:37 PM
OK.