• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NYR Sign [F] Cristoval "Boo" Nieves to 2-Year/$1.51M Entry-Level Contract; $755M AAV

Dave

:tweet: Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie NYR and Boo Nieves have agreed to terms on a two-year entry level contract. Will kick in next season. Nieves will go to HFD now on ATO.

:tweet: Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie Nieves was NYR 2nd round pick in 2012. 10G and 31 pts in senior year at Michigan. Could've gone UFA by waiting til Aug. 15 but opted for NY.

He was an incredibly skilled playmaking forward, but despite his size, never quite showed the aggressiveness to get to dirty areas of the ice and be a consistent goal-scorer.

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/big-ten/2016/3/28/11317940/michigans-boo-nieves-signs-with-new-york-rangers

Adam Herman

‏@AdamZHerman

Here is @boonieves at his best. When he feels like it, he can just take games over.

http://gfycat.com/DevotedDisfiguredChanticleer

Adam Herman

‏@AdamZHerman

This goal was also pretty good.

http://gfycat.com/WeightyFlickeringHart

I know there's a lot of question marks around his production, maybe getting out of college and focusing solely on hockey will help with that. Certainly flashes talent.

I feel like there was a lot of hype around him and then he went to college and just wasn't that good. Glad to have him signed. We'll see what happens but I'm not holding my breath.

He had a very good freshman year, but never built much on it. From a skill set standpoint he fits this team very well, but he was looked at as a second line center man at one time. Now, not so much.

• 2 weeks later...
Nieves added another assist tonight as Pack dominated for second straight night. His line now reads 2-4-6 and a +4 in four games. Pack play again tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the update CC91

-- I can't remember a year in recent times where I've paid so little attention to the Wolfpack, and when —*aside from Skjei — it seemed as devoid of premier talent as it seems to me right now.

Well, good to see Nieves is producing right away at the pro level. Maybe he'll rediscover what made him a prospect to be excited about once upon a time.

With guys like Nieves, who have a ton of talent and don't necessarily showcase it consistently, you always have to wonder about how playing around lesser talent might have a negative impact. No doubt he's playing with better players on the Pack and he's producing, which I think is a really good sign.

With guys like Nieves, who have a ton of talent and don't necessarily showcase it consistently, you always have to wonder about how playing around lesser talent might have a negative impact. No doubt he's playing with better players on the Pack and he's producing, which I think is a really good sign.

His college production was just under .80 P/GP but he was also deployed to be two-way defensive player.

That's because Mich had quality offensive studs like Kyle Connor, Dylan Larkin, JT Compher, etc. From that perspective he wasn't really ever asked to be the top guy offensively although he didn't have the skill set exhibited by the above.

At this point he's bound to stay in HFD next season and that's where he belongs and then he projects to be good tweener between 2nd and third. There's a chance he's converted to wing due to org depth, but he'd still be able to be utilized on key face offs similar to how Moore takes draws even when deployed on wing.

Overall he could be a nice fit in a year or two if he doesn't become trade bait first.

Archived