PDA

View Full Version : [TSN] Jimmy Vesey Spurns Predators, Will Become UFA August 15th

Phil in Absentia
03-28-2016, 09:17 PM
:tweet: @TSNBobMcKenzie: Representatives for Jimmy Vesey today informed NSH their client will be exercising his right to unrestricted free agency on Aug. 15. #TSN

Shane Falco
03-28-2016, 09:51 PM
Anyone have a scouting report on this kid?

Phil in Absentia
03-28-2016, 09:52 PM
:tweet: @AdamVingan: Poile said the reasoning he received was "It was just the attraction of free agency." Poile called it a "complete 360."

:tweet: @TomAWillis: Poile: "Allow me to confirm that we offered Jimmy a spot in our top 6, playoff time and the chance to burn a year on his ELC." #Preds

Phil in Absentia
03-28-2016, 09:53 PM
Anyone have a scouting report on this kid?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=121865

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/jimmy_vesey/

Pete
03-28-2016, 10:50 PM
I see the future of these things playing out as players doing this become subject to waivers.

Phil in Absentia
03-28-2016, 11:08 PM
Assuming they close this loophole, maybe. I'm not sure it's enough of a problem to warrant addressing, though. I can count on one hand the number of player who've done this in the last decade. Kevin Hayes, Jimmy Vesey, Justin Schultz, Mike Reilly, and Blake Wheeler.

TwoMinutesForNothing
03-28-2016, 11:52 PM
I'm sure we'll be after him. Good prospect, but what we really need is Troy Stecher, defenseman from North Dakota. 21 years old and never drafted, ranked as the 19th best prospect in NCAA hockey.

Speedy two-way dman who is perfect for our system. Basically a right-handed version of Brady Skjei. Would be perfect replacement for Boyle on the right side or for Girardi once he is somehow moved to re-sign Yandle.

NYRanger11
03-29-2016, 12:40 AM
I'll take as much talented UDFA's and rookie UFA's as possible with the lack of draft picks we have.

TwoMinutesForNothing
03-29-2016, 12:54 AM
Yeah, Lukas Bengtsson is a similar player, maybe leans more toward the offensive game, but is a 21 year old righty Dman who put up 14 points in 30 games in the SEL this season. We are probably his most likely destination as he was in our prospect camp this season. Same can be said for Ahti Oksanen, big BU forward who was in our camp. Though Buffalo will likely pursue him as well due to his great chemistry with Eichel.

deejaid
03-29-2016, 02:03 AM
:tweet: @AdamVingan: Poile said the reasoning he received was "It was just the attraction of free agency." Poile called it a "complete 360."

:tweet: @TomAWillis: Poile: "Allow me to confirm that we offered Jimmy a spot in our top 6, playoff time and the chance to burn a year on his ELC." #Preds

A "complete 360" huh? So he is signing with Nashville?:D

Well, a top 6 forward talent on an entry level contract we'll definitely be after him. Like NYRanger11 said, it's the best way to restock our system with our lack of draft picks.

Future
03-29-2016, 08:44 AM
A "complete 360" huh? So he is signing with Nashville?:D
I generally don't care about these kinds of sayings. But this one drives me absolutely nuts lol

Pete
03-29-2016, 08:50 AM
I think he was misquoted, or the tsn article I read corrected him.

Either way, seems he's Boston bound based on a number of clues.

I also don't agree that we can replenish our farm with UFA or wait for draftees to go unsigned. We rarely get nhl quality talent that way.

CreaseCrusader91
03-29-2016, 10:23 AM
I'd say the Leafs are a major possibility too. His dad and brother are in the organization and they have tons of (playing) opportunity.

Phil in Absentia
03-29-2016, 08:13 PM
Conventional logic (based on reports) says it's Boston or the Leafs, but I'm still have a tough time understanding his decision-making here. Based on his age and all the variables around his situation, he could have signed with the Predators, stepped right into the playoffs (a la Kreider), made $92,500 (per Chris Johnston) upon signing, plus $50,000 in base salary this year, burned a year of his ELC which would likely be just two years, and been up for contract renewal at the end of next season.

And you turned that all down for the opportunity to negotiate with two teams, one of whom is years away from being competitive? I mean, I guess if your family situation is that important to you?

phillybô
03-30-2016, 11:51 AM
player's tribune piece from vesey - http://www.theplayerstribune.com/jimmy-vesey-harvard-hockey/

When I officially announced my decision, everyone ó and I mean everyone ó seemed to have a comment. Some people thought I must have been doing it to hold out for free agency this summer, while some people couldnít fathom the fact that I was going back at all. How bad could I really want to be a hockey player if I was choosing to go back to school?

I waited three days after our season ended in the first round of the NCAA tournament before officially announcing my decision, but to be honest, I had made up my mind two weeks before. We had just beaten Yale, our biggest rival, in an absolute battle of an ECAC tournament quarterfinal playoff series. Going into that series, I was something like 0-9-1 in my career against Yale. In the third and deciding game one of my best friends, Pat McNally, tied the score with three minutes left, and we went on to win in double overtime. I always joke around with him and tell him that if he didnít score that goal I might not still be at Harvard.

The postgame celebration after winning that series was hands-down one of the best moments of my life. One of the boysí favorite words at school is electric, and Iíll tell you, that locker-room was definitely electric. Everyone screaming, jumping up and down Ö I mustíve hugged all thirty of my teammates five times each, almost on the verge of tears. Looking back now, it seems like it happened in slow motion, but it was in that locker-room that I fully realized, ďAll right, these guys are my best friends. All right, Iím not ready to leave this place. Nope. No way.Ē

Some people might not have understood my decision to come back, but maybe they donít fully understand what the college hockey experience is truly like. For me, Iíve loved every second of my time at Harvard, both at the rink and away from it. Donít get me wrong, Iím still fully committed to becoming an NHL player and having as long a career as I can, but there are certain aspects of college that I just didnít want to give up if I didnít have to. Like the two things people always say, ďCollege is the best time of your life,Ē and, ďYou can never get those four years back.Ē So I didnít really see the rush.

BlairBettsBlocksEverything
03-30-2016, 11:53 AM
Dominic Moore needs to use that Harvard connect and start recruiting

Slobberknocker
03-30-2016, 12:21 PM
i forget but does the team that drafts him initially get a compensatory pick?

i cant imagine how the clubs won't look to close this loophole during the next cba discussions.

BlairBettsBlocksEverything
03-30-2016, 12:24 PM
Those players should go to RFA, or at least some form of RFA instead of UFA. If you're going to sign a teams top prospect you should have to give up some picks for it. Sure, right now the team that has the player's rights gets a pick in return, but it hardly seems fair that you can use a first round pick on a guy and then four years later you get a 2nd round pick for him, while the other team gets him for free

Phil in Absentia
03-30-2016, 12:30 PM
i forget but does the team that drafts him initially get a compensatory pick? i cant imagine how the clubs won't look to close this loophole during the next cba discussions.

Only if the player was a first-round pick. Vesey wasn't. He was a third-round pick. So Nashville gets nothing.

Morphinity
03-30-2016, 01:36 PM
Yeah he was really going to miss those "aspects of college" for the total of 2 months he had left.

Give me a break.

Future
03-30-2016, 05:24 PM
Yeah he was really going to miss those "aspects of college" for the total of 2 months he had left.

Give me a break.
My last two months of college was probably the most fun I've had in my entire life lol

Giacomin
03-30-2016, 06:13 PM

Give me a break.

I'm older than you, i think, but it is difficult to forget one's last few months in college. Maybe cause it was a shit Reagan economy and most of us knew if we got an entry level job it would be for peanuts, so we tore it up all spring.

Still hard to understand his thinking. Getting to play in the playoffs with a good Nash team immediately. Burning a year of his ELC.

But he's a Harvard guy, probably not enamored with the dirty south and will make money even after his hockey career. He gets to choose any city and any team he wants. And he gets to have the time of his life till August. Then he gets down to business and also gets a max contract. Most agree he will end up in Boston or Toronto. Maybe the NYR can be his third option, he'd get playing time here too. Also frees up a forward to be trade for a RHDman.

Morphinity
03-30-2016, 06:23 PM
My last two months of college was probably the most fun I've had in my entire life lol

I'd imagine winning the Stanley Cup would be more fun than anything any of us could imagine

Captain Clutch
03-30-2016, 08:20 PM
I don't mind players going the UFA route and picking where they want to go. I'd hate if when i started college I was told when I left I had to work for a specific company and be stuck with them till I was 27

Giacomin
03-30-2016, 09:35 PM
Let's see, I could go to Nashville till I'm 27

OR

Have more fun in college, get my degree now and play for

The NY Fuckin Rangers

Pete
03-31-2016, 12:08 AM
Let's see, I could go to Nashville till I'm 27

OR

Have more fun in college, get my degree now and play for

The NY Fuckin Rangers

Which he probably won't.

Giacomin
03-31-2016, 10:17 AM
Which he probably won't.

Well we know that, think you missed the spirit of the post. He has family in the Leaf org and he's a fan of Boston. So, like for many here, if you were a sought after FA who could go anywhere you want, maybe Nashville for the next 5-6 years, isn't all that.

AmericanJesus
03-31-2016, 10:58 AM

Give me a break.

A year and two months:

Last spring, after my junior season at Harvard, I had the opportunity to realize my childhood dream of playing in the NHL. The Nashville Predators, the team that drafted me, were telling me I would step into their lineup on a line with Mike Fisher for the end of the season and the playoffs. It was crazy to think how my college season ended on a Saturday and I could’ve been in their lineup by Tuesday. Could’ve been rubbing elbows with guys like Shea Weber, Mike Ribeiro and James Neal. Could’ve been playing against Patrick Kane in the first round of the playoffs. No brainer, right?

The entire article is talking about that decision, not the one we're currently talking about in this thread.

Phil in Absentia
04-08-2016, 07:30 PM
:tweet: @Sportsnet: Harvard's Jimmy Vesey wins Hobey Baker Award as best college player in NCAA Division I. https://t.co/HVzP3XYxvU https://t.co/186paf6PRP

Travis Bickle
04-09-2016, 08:27 PM
:tweet: @PredsNHL:

Congrats to Jimmy Vesey, recipient of this year's Hobey Baker Award. Second draft pick in #Preds history to win the award.

---

Classy move by the Preds.