PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Fires Mike Eaves After 14 Seasons as Head Coach

Phil in Absentia
03-18-2016, 10:37 AM
MADISON, Wis. Mike Eaves is one of the most distinguished figures in Wisconsin athletic history, which is why this moment is particularly difficult.

Eaves has been relieved of his duties as UW men's hockey coach after 14 seasons, which included an NCAA championship in 2006, a national runner-up finish in 2010 and, at last count, 26 players who've reached the NHL.

Eaves is also the all-time leading scorer in program history, a three-time captain, a two-time Most Valuable Player, an honor student and member of the UW Athletic Hall of Fame.

Director of Athletics Barry Alvarez made the decision after the six-time national champion Badgers labored through consecutive losing seasons for the first time since 1995-97 and saw fan support at the Kohl Center dwindle.

"I told Mike I appreciated the work he's done here," Alvarez said. "I also told him that we have great tradition and standards here in hockey. He's the gate-keeper of hockey. I'm the gate-keeper of the department. We both have a responsibility.

"After last season, because of the success we've had in the past, we felt that Mike had earned a chance to get the ship righted. But now, after back-to-back seasons like the last two we've had, I feel we need a change."

http://www.uwbadgers.com/news/2016/3/18/alvarez-change-of-direction-needed-for-mens-hockey.aspx

Dunny
03-18-2016, 10:42 AM
Wow, 1st ever firing in NCAA hockey history

Mike
03-18-2016, 10:49 AM
Wow Barry ... If your AD had your line of thinking you would have been fired a long time ago, twice !!

I am Scags
03-18-2016, 10:51 AM
I admit I don't know anything about the Wisconsin mens hockey program or college hockey in general, but it appears now that this trend has hit all the sports, where you just simply can't build a program anymore and have lean years. You have one or two poor seasons and the AD and alumni are pretty much calling for your head, its nuts. No longer will we see the great coaches in collegiate sports, the Bear Bryants, the Woody Hayes, the Bob Johnsons or Herb Brooks. There is just no patience anymore to build a program and have it go through lean years

Pete
03-18-2016, 11:06 AM
I guess the emphasis has moved from development to winning.

Dunny
03-18-2016, 11:26 AM
They have no emphasis on development.

Morphinity
03-18-2016, 11:41 AM
I guess the emphasis has moved from development to winning.
College sports is all about winning, especially when you're a big program (like Wisconsin). Big programs with a history of winning are expected to stay that way because they get the top recruits.

The development programs are smaller ones or newer ones, but theyre just dominated by the larger, more winning focused programs.

Pete
03-18-2016, 11:49 AM
They have no emphasis on development.

College sports is all about winning, especially when you're a big program (like Wisconsin). Big programs with a history of winning are expected to stay that way because they get the top recruits.

The development programs are smaller ones or newer ones, but theyre just dominated by the larger, more winning focused programs.

What I mean is, if you have a losing season but say 10 of your players get drafted by the NHL, and 2 years later and playing in the NHL...Then you've produced quality players. One might say you were just unlucky that season, or the drop off between the top 10 players on your team and the bottom 10 was pretty wide.

Just a big generalization, but you get my point. Not sure how true it is, though, just my $.02.

Dunny
03-18-2016, 11:56 AM
I get that. The big programs attract the big recruits and the big recruits turn pro in a hurry.