PDA

View Full Version : Closing The Patrick Kane "Loophole"

Blue Heaven
03-17-2016, 08:32 AM
http://thehockeywriters.com/tape2tape-closing-the-patrick-kane-loophole/

The oddity involves the defending Stanley Cup champions – the Chicago Blackhawks and the league’s current leading scorer Patrick Kane. The issue stems from last season when the Hawks loaded up at the deadline with Kane on long-term injury reserve (LTIR).

The catch is there is no salary cap during the Stanley Cup playoffs. Every team must be cap compliant through the end of the regular season, but the numbers can pretty much be thrown out the window after that day.”

One GM who wanted it included on the agenda for the meetings was Anaheim Ducks’ Bob Murray.

Phil in Absentia
03-17-2016, 09:19 AM
This isn't really the "Patrick Kane" rule. It's the Miro Satan rule, though his case was only slightly different in that he was waived and re-assigned to Boston's AHL affiliate years ago for like one day, then re-called immediately the next day when his $4M~ cap hit no longer mattered.

It's also not really a "loophole". It's how the CBA is designed to function. The Hawks simply lucked out in terms of timing, where they were able to placeh on LTIR and then have him back in time for the playoffs while not running the risk of going over the cap, because the cap ceases to exist once the postseason starts.

Cash or Czech?
03-17-2016, 09:51 AM
We could have done the same thing with Nash if the situation called for it this year. Nothing wrong with playing by the rules in the rule book.

Phil in Absentia
03-17-2016, 10:10 AM
We could have done the same thing with Nash if the situation called for it this year. Nothing wrong with playing by the rules in the rule book.

Not really. Kane's injury was actually supposed to keep him out for I think the first round of the playoffs, but he returned in time for them.

Nash's injury we basically knew he'd be returning well before the playoffs began. There's no way the Rangers were going to fake medical reports to force him to not play, just so they could use his LTIR salary.

Cash or Czech?
03-17-2016, 10:21 AM
Not really. Kane's injury was actually supposed to keep him out for I think the first round of the playoffs, but he returned in time for them. Nash's injury we basically knew he'd be returning well before the playoffs began. There's no way the Rangers were going to fake medical reports to force him to not play, just so they could use his LTIR salary.

He was out for 20 games. Couldn't we place him on LTIR retroactively if we acquired someone expensive at the deadline and still have enough cap room? That would've created an additional $1.95M in space had we gone over. Unless i understand the rule incorrectly.

AmericanJesus
03-17-2016, 10:50 AM
He was out for 20 games. Couldn't we place him on LTIR retroactively if we acquired someone expensive at the deadline and still have enough cap room? That would've created an additional $1.95M in space had we gone over. Unless i understand the rule incorrectly.

LTIR does not create cap room. It allows you to exceed the cap. Real simple numbered example:

$100 salary cap, you have $100 in salary on your roster. Player making $5 goes on LTIR. You can add a player making up to $5 until that player comes off of LTIR. Technically, if you add another player to your roster making $5, you are using $105 in cap space. If you choose not add a player, you are still using $100 in salary and so you do not get any prorated cap space while the player is on LTIR.

Phil in Absentia
03-17-2016, 10:51 AM

Yes, but the way LTIR works, you "pay it back". Meaning when Nash is healthy, his full cap hit goes back on the cap, so had the Rangers used that additional $1.95M, they'd almost certainly be over the cap by that amount.

The reason they're calling this a loophole with Chicago is because they were able to place Kane on LTIR long enough to use his LTIR relief in order to load up their roster that would have otherwise been over the cap had Kane been healthy, then brought Kane back in immediately for the playoffs when the cap is no longer a factor. It was a perfect storm/timing.

Cash or Czech?
03-17-2016, 12:09 PM
Gotcha, I understand. Is it confirmed that Nash is healthy and playing yet? :D