PDA

View Full Version : Sean Avery Q&A on ESPN.com

Blue Heaven
03-17-2016, 08:03 AM
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/14986936/nhl-qa-former-new-york-rangers-dallas-stars-winger-sean-avery

In a recent conversation, Avery detailed his newest pursuits -- everything from real estate dealings in the Hamptons, selling the life rights about his time interning at Vogue Magazine to a film production company and working on an as-yet-untitled autobiography (co-authored by Michael McKinley, published by Penguin Canada and Blue Rider Press) that he intends to be hockey's version of "Ball Four" -- and shared some opinions on pertinent issues surrounding hockey today.

This may be a book I would buy.

Future
03-17-2016, 08:43 AM
ESPN.com: Your personality always seemed like it didn't quite fit into hockey's culture.

Avery: Almost every single time, it was because nobody had ever seen this or ever tried this. Except it's happening every single day outside of our world. But this world hasn't adapted to anything. It's that conservative, status quo, old-guard mentality that nobody can get rid of. It's like, there's a lot of hockey players that have died recently because of issues they've had with the transition [to retirement]. Everyone wants to blame it on that these guys got punched in the head too many times. That's part of it. But another part is that it's a culture that breeds not letting its individuals become individuals. That makes adjusting to life after hockey more difficult.
I think that's a really good point.

You can feel whatever way you want about Avery, but he is a really smart, perceptive guy. His memoir will be a very good read.

Pete
03-17-2016, 09:06 AM
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/14986936/nhl-qa-former-new-york-rangers-dallas-stars-winger-sean-avery

This may be a book I would buy.
Same. But I'd hope is wasn't as disappointing as JRs.

Phil in Absentia
03-17-2016, 09:13 AM
JR's was fun for the stories, but was far from the JR he claims to be — the breaker of walls, and the sharer of all things not supposed to be shared. His podcast is no different.