PDA

View Full Version : Rumor/Report: Bergevin ‘Not Happy’, But Will Reportedly Bring Therrien Back

Phil in Absentia
03-15-2016, 10:37 AM
Like many in Montreal, Canadiens General Manager Marc Bergevin is disappointed with the way this season turned out for his team. After a promising 9-0 start to the year, the Canadiens suffered through one of the worst collapses in NHL history.

“I’m glad to see that our players are putting in the effort every single night because effort is non-negotiable with me,” said Bergevin, per the Journdal de Montreal (quotes have been translated).

“But I’m not happy about our situation and we’ll evaluate everything at the end of the regular season.”

However, according to a TVA report, part of that evaluation may already be done.

TVA’s Renaud Lavoie has “obtained information” claiming head coach Michel Therrien will be back to coach the Habs next season. This comes after Bergevin had previously given Therrien a vote of confidence for the remainder of this campaign, one that came in late January with the Canadiens having won just four times in their last 21 contests.

If the TVA report holds true and Therrien returns, Bergevin’s focus will shift to the roster he’s assembled — and what went wrong with it.

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/03/15/canadiens-gm-marc-bergevin-im-not-happy-with-our-situation/

--

Oh, man. This should go over swimmingly! :rofl:

Cash or Czech?
03-15-2016, 10:40 AM
What went wrong? They lost a top-3 goalie. Can't attribute his team's struggles to the coach when their starting goalies are Scrivena and Condon.

Morphinity
03-15-2016, 10:41 AM
I can never get when a GM refuses to fire a coach at the end of the season if it's been a bad year. What is the point of giving a guy a 15-20 game "last chance", have him most likely fail, and then fire him - only to have to scrape the bottom of the barrel for available coaches and/or have the assistant take over as interim? That's like throwing away a season.

Fire the shitty coach, hire a new one in the off-season and give him a chance to prepare the team fully for a new system.

Vodka Drunkenski
03-15-2016, 11:04 AM
What went wrong? They lost a top-3 goalie. Can't attribute his team's struggles to the coach when their starting goalies are Scrivena and Condon.

This. I haven't watched any Montreal games but I would think it has a lot to do with Price being out for the majority of the season.

Cash or Czech?
03-15-2016, 11:11 AM
I can never get when a GM refuses to fire a coach at the end of the season if it's been a bad year. What is the point of giving a guy a 15-20 game "last chance", have him most likely fail, and then fire him - only to have to scrape the bottom of the barrel for available coaches and/or have the assistant take over as interim? That's like throwing away a season. Fire the shitty coach, hire a new one in the off-season and give him a chance to prepare the team fully for a new system.

Would you fire AV if we lost Lundqvist for 60 games and split those starts between Raanta and a scrub? Same situation. Not the coach's fault when you lose your best player. It's amazing they're only 9 points behind the last playoff spot with mediocre goalies.

Phil in Absentia
03-15-2016, 12:10 PM

I don't think Therrien is a good coach, and the number of reports coming out of Montréal that talk about how divisive he's been in that locker room speak volumes.

That said, if you lose your starting goaltender and collapse in this manner, what that really tells me is you have a bad hockey team. A very bad hockey team. That's on the GM.

Phil in Absentia
03-15-2016, 12:11 PM
Would you fire AV if we lost Lundqvist for 60 games and split those starts between Raanta and a scrub? Same situation. Not the coach's fault when you lose your best player. It's amazing they're only 9 points behind the last playoff spot with mediocre goalies.

I'd fire the GM if the Rangers collapsed the way the Habs did (and probably the coach too), becuase it would tell me the roster is seriously flawed. Because it's not like Montréal is losing all these games close. They're losing games emphatically. Every other night. It's like win one, lose two since they lost Price.

CreaseCrusader91
03-15-2016, 12:16 PM
Will this be Lavy all over again? Brought back but fired shortly? Wonder if this has to do with availability of Francophone head coaches.

Phil in Absentia
03-15-2016, 12:26 PM
Guy Boucher is available, and they could probably ask permission to speak with Julien BriseBois if they were considering removing Bergevin.

Cash or Czech?
03-15-2016, 12:34 PM
I'd fire the GM if the Rangers collapsed the way the Habs did (and probably the coach too), becuase it would tell me the roster is seriously flawed. Because it's not like Montréal is losing all these games close. They're losing games emphatically. Every other night. It's like win one, lose two since they lost Price.

Too bad slats quit before we could fire him. I agree though, Montreal's D is thin. Their forwards are having similar years to ours. It's scary how similarly we are built, IMO.

Phil in Absentia
03-15-2016, 05:12 PM
Perhaps Michel Therrien’s job isn’t safe after all.

Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin didn’t want to talk about his head coach today in Boca Raton, but he did say one thing:

“Don’t believe any reports you read.”

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/03/15/bergevin-on-report-therrien-will-be-back-dont-bel

Travis Bickle
03-15-2016, 05:13 PM
The plot thickens.

Dunny
03-15-2016, 06:56 PM
They should trade. Av for Therrien and a 4th rounder. That would piss Therrien off to no end.