PDA

View Full Version : World Cup of Hockey: Canada Preliminary Roster, Jersey Released

CreaseCrusader91
03-02-2016, 06:36 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CclITboW4AAq4EC.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CclF0NwWIAIVsWl.jpg:large

Morphinity
03-02-2016, 06:46 PM
So where was Vlasic on your list?

Drew Doughty
Duncan Keith
Mark Giodarno
PK Subban
Chris Letang
Shea Weber
Brett Burns
Alex Pietrangelo

I'd saw only Karllson would even make the Canadian roster on the backend

SaveByRichter35
03-02-2016, 06:50 PM
Gonna be touch to beat that roster.

Dunny
03-02-2016, 07:08 PM
Why would they take Vlasic? Girardi turn them down?

Carter and Bergeron are snooztastic.

Dunny
03-02-2016, 07:09 PM
Oh wait, I know why Bergeron and Vlasic are immediately invited, never mind.

SaveByRichter35
03-02-2016, 07:20 PM
Why would they take Vlasic? Girardi turn them down?

Carter and Bergeron are snooztastic.

Vlasic was on the Sochi team too, why not?

Dunny
03-02-2016, 07:26 PM
Actually, his numbers this year are stunning.

HC will always be pressured to find spots for francophone players though. They should put their own team in.

SaveByRichter35
03-02-2016, 07:53 PM
Not crazy about that jersey to be honest.

Phil in Absentia
03-02-2016, 10:14 PM
I don't mind it. I just wish they found a way to bring the black from the outline of the crest into the jersey somewhere else.

SaveByRichter35
03-02-2016, 10:34 PM
Yea if the "leaf" on the sleeves were outlined in black as well it would sure look nicer. Overall I am just not a fan of any of these jerseys though. The best ones, Russia and Sweden are meh at best. Europe is awful. Czech would look ok if it didn't look like a guy wearing a red belly shirt with his white Hanes undershirt sticking out the bottom. USA would be better if they used their USA Hockey crest. Same goes for Canada. I know they had to stop using it in the Olympics because the IOC banned the use of official organizational logos during the games but this has nothing to do with the Olympics. This is ran by the NHL and the IIHF. I really hope this isn't the type of designs we have to look forward to when Adidas officially takes over.

Puck Head
03-02-2016, 10:58 PM
So where was Vlasic on your list?

I wrote him down then erased.
I simply didn't think he had done enough since Sochi to make the roster

jjweimar
03-03-2016, 10:58 AM
This line up is great but the weird part is every player but Benn is a Center

Future
03-03-2016, 11:01 AM
This line up is great but the weird part is every player but Benn is a Center
Yea that's kind of weird...probably gives someone like Nash a better chance to make the team.

Morphinity
03-03-2016, 11:11 AM
Nash will not be on the team. Ain't no way.

Future
03-03-2016, 12:34 PM
Why? There's probably another 5 forward spots available. If you go by just the 2014 Olympic roster, the remaining options are Ladd, Marleau, Duchene, Sharp, Kunitz, Perry, and MSL. Then the other players over 23 includes the likes of Giroux, Couture, Turris, Eberle, Spezza and Ribeiro.

Perry certainly gets in, but Nash has as good of a shot as any of those other guys, especially if they're looking for wingers.

Morphinity
03-03-2016, 01:20 PM
Okay, so 5 players. Players I'd add definitely:
Duchene
Perry
Giroux
Hall

And now for maybes, players I'd add before Nash:
RNH
Ryan O'Reilly
Patrick Sharp

Maybe a guy like Mark Stone or Mike Hoffman gets a look? They're good young players. Or how about fuckin' Jumbo Joe Thornton who is another center, but he's so good.

I think they're looking for a guy who plays a good two way game, then you might see a guy like Nash get on the team. That was basically Nash's role at the Olympics - 4th line energy player and PK'er. We'll see if they want him to play that again. I'd be surprised.

Dunny
03-03-2016, 01:31 PM
They like Nash because they appreciate what he does beyond scoring goals. He's big, he skates really well and he virtually never makes a mistake of any magnitude. Even his dump-ins are calculated.

Many Ranger fans overlook these facts, justifiably so in a sense, because the Rangers really need him to score but Team Canada doesn't need him to score every night.

Morphinity
03-03-2016, 01:53 PM
Right, but I'd choose Ryan O'Reilly to do that over Nash, at this point. ROR is a very good two-way player.

Future
03-03-2016, 02:16 PM
Right, but I'd choose Ryan O'Reilly to do that over Nash, at this point. ROR is a very good two-way player.
We can go back and forth all day on players, so whatever. But Nash is head and shoulders better than ROR.

Pete
03-03-2016, 02:40 PM
Not this year. Nash .73 P/G, ROR .83 P/G.

Vodka Drunkenski
03-03-2016, 02:42 PM
Corsi stats in 3, 2, 1...

Future
03-03-2016, 03:06 PM
Not this year. Nash .73 P/G, ROR .83 P/G.
Nash - 17:18 mpg, 2.55 pp/60, 2:19 PPTOI
ROR - 21:51 mpg, 2.28 pp/60, 3:15 PPTOI

Pete
03-03-2016, 03:08 PM
Nash - 17:18 mpg, 2.55 pp/60
ROR - 21:51 mpg, 2.28 pp/60

Not only is that stat pretty irrelevant, it still doesn't show that Nash is "head and shoulders" above ROR. It's pretty close.

Future
03-03-2016, 03:22 PM
Not only is that stat pretty irrelevant, it still doesn't show that Nash is "head and shoulders" above ROR. It's pretty close.
It's more useful than simply pointing to their P/G, especially when one guy plays a minute more on the PP than the other and has 19/49 points in that situation.

But regardless, ROR isn't in the same class as Nash. He's good defensively but he's not as strong on the puck, as good along the boards or as productive at creating chances 5v5.

Morphinity
03-03-2016, 03:25 PM
Well clearly ROR gets more miles per gallon, and in the current green climate, you've got to go with ROR.

But it's close. And O'Reilly is a solid faceoff man with experience playing both center and wing - the latter for team Canada. Plus, he won gold with Canada most recently in 2015.

Dunny
03-03-2016, 03:26 PM
Nash's only issue is his inability to score on the PP. Other than that, and it's a real issue, he's still a stud.

Morphinity
03-03-2016, 03:28 PM
It's more useful than simply pointing to their P/G, especially when one guy plays a minute more on the PP than the other and has 19/49 points in that situation.

But regardless, ROR isn't in the same class as Nash. He's good defensively but he's not as strong on the puck, as good along the boards or as productive at creating chances 5v5.

Things that can't actually be proven.

Also, ROR plays with not-as-good teammates as Nash does.

Dunny
03-03-2016, 03:35 PM

That doesn't really matter for offensive numbers. I don't understand that argument.

Future
03-03-2016, 03:43 PM

Ok, well the pp/60 can be, and Nash is way ahead of ROR in that regard. He's also killing him in +/- and is ahead in both Corsi and Fenwick. For those other things...I watch almost as many Sabres as Rangers games, I'm telling you, he's not as good. There might not be a forward in the league who is as good as Nash along the boards.

And, not for nothing, but, no, ROR's linemates aren't that far behind Brass/Zucc, who Nash generally plays with. When healthy, he's with Ennis/Kane, who can both put the puck in the net.

Morphinity
03-03-2016, 04:17 PM
That's fine. I'd still rather have ROR on my team over Nash at this point in their careers.

Pete
03-03-2016, 04:27 PM

Maybe if Nash did anything on the power play he'd have the P/G that ROR does.

Future
03-03-2016, 04:54 PM
Maybe if Nash did anything on the power play he'd have the P/G that ROR does.
He's asked to go to the front and screen the goalie. It's not his fault this team can't shoot the puck.