PDA

View Full Version : Confirmed: CGY Trades [D] Kris Russel to DAL for [D] Jyrki Jokipakka, Prospect, 2nd Round Pick

Phil in Absentia
02-29-2016, 01:38 PM
:tweet: @Real_ESPNLeBrun: Kris Russell to Dallas Stars pending a trade call

:tweet: @Fan960Steinberg: Hearing it’s Russell for D Jyrki Jokipakka, F Brett Pollock and a 2nd round pick. #Flames

Mistercosmic
02-29-2016, 01:58 PM
The conditional second-round draft pick will become a first-round draft pick, if Dallas makes the western conference final.

Future
02-29-2016, 02:05 PM
Travis Yost had a pretty great article about Russell a while back.

Relative to these four players – three contract comparables, and our gold standard defensive defenceman – Russell is an absolute sieve in his team’s zone. He bleeds shots and scoring chances against, and his goals-against average is decimal points from being dead last (Petry just inches him out here).
What I think is manifesting here is that Russell’s skill of shot-blocking isn’t so much a skill as it is a necessity. Since he’s always in the defensive third of the ice, he frequently has to block shots. Perhaps in some instances a single shot block will lead to a scoring chance turned aside and a breakout for his team. But in other instances, that shot block only acts as a stopgap of sorts – the opposition corralling the puck and, once again, firing a shot in on the net Russell is defending.
Ultimately, this is where I think Russell gets himself into trouble. For years now in Calgary he’s won the hearts of fans as being the type of player who will lay it all on the line, and that’s a great mentality to have. The problem is he’s never really established himself as anything more than a shot-blocking presence who can pick up the occasional helper. His two bona fides – blocking shots and, generally, playing a physical brand of hockey – don’t seem to help his game much in the defensive zone.
http://www.tsn.ca/flames-russell-is-not-a-shutdown-defenceman-1.436533

Reads an awful lot like Girardi...

I'm kind of torn on this trade. I think Russel is the type of guy that is a great fit for Dallas, but whether there is going to be anything tangible that he adds, hard to say. I kind of have my doubts, but I think he's a big upgrade over Jordie Benn, who I assume would be the guy that gets scratched.

Mistercosmic
02-29-2016, 02:10 PM
If the Stars reach conference finals AND Russell plays 50% of the games in the first two playoff rounds, the conditional second-round draft pick turns to a 1st.

Valriera
02-29-2016, 02:17 PM
This is probably just a "we need defenseman and didn't want to pay for one" deal. He's obviously not ideal for them but he also costs basically nothing too.

Faiz
02-29-2016, 02:37 PM
Flames have the potential to have 2 firsts and 2 seconds this off season.