PDA

View Full Version : Players' Tribune: Ryan Kesler: How We Play Hockey in America

Phil in Absentia
02-25-2016, 11:51 AM
You know what really got me into hockey? NHL í94 on Sega Genesis. Some kids got inspired by watching Wayne Gretzky on Hockey Night in Canada. I got inspired by playing with 16-bit Steve Yzerman. Remember the wraparound trick? You could score eight goals a game with Yzerman. Iíd have my brother going nuts.

We lived in an old ranch-style house outside of Detroit. Itís over 100 years old now. In the winter, my dad would make a rink out back. But we didnít have a pond or anything. Just a big yard. In the beginning, he would just take the garden hose out and spray down the grass. Then he got a little smarter and put some tarp down first.

That was only good for three months a year, tops. The majority of my hockey life revolved around ministicks in the basement, or ball hockey out in the street. My brother is nine years older than me, but for some reason I always kicked his ass whenever we played street hockey. I was dominant. The weird thing was, the domination extended to everything else ó Monopoly, Connect 4, Sega.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/ryan-kesler-ducks-how-we-play-hockey-in-america/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=February%2025th%20-%20Daily&utm_content=February%2025th%20-%20Daily+CID_a61863993a50e0e641474aa166ed845c&utm_source=newsletter&utm_term=READ%20RYANS%20ESSAY

Morphinity
02-25-2016, 11:56 AM
You know, I'm noticing all these stories have a trend. These guys all had endless hours of ice time to work with as kids. Lucky fucks.

Love the way Kesler plays though. This story was awesome

Dunny
02-25-2016, 03:29 PM
Ice time? He literally talks about how he played roller hockey all the time. Roller hockey is weird to me, I told my kid I'd rather have him do gymnastics than buy rollerblades.

Pretty good read, and I completely agree on his US hockey asessment. US players are like robots, in a good way, it's odd how similar 99% of US players are but it's propelled their leap from complete afterthought to powerhouse in less than 20 years.

Wonder who is going to pen the Canadian version of this, I hope it's Todd Harvey.

Morphinity
02-25-2016, 03:37 PM
Well he's talking about the shitty backyard rink his dad made every year. While not the ponds of Canada, it's tons of hours more ice time than 99% the rest of the population. As for roller hockey, all the roller hockey players I knew had silky smooth hands, but couldn't skate for shit. I never played roller though. Never knew how to stop on roller blades.

Future
02-25-2016, 04:05 PM
Well he's talking about the shitty backyard rink his dad made every year. While not the ponds of Canada, it's tons of hours more ice time than 99% the rest of the population. As for roller hockey, all the roller hockey players I knew had silky smooth hands, but couldn't skate for shit. I never played roller though. Never knew how to stop on roller blades.
That's me. I've played a ton of roller in the summer

My hand suck and I can't skate though

Dunny
02-25-2016, 04:10 PM
I think my hate of roller hockey is related to the position I played and it was "new". I don't like new.

My old man was the town Parks and Rec Director while I was a kid, his office was attached to the rink, I had my own locker in the rink so I never had to haul equipment home. We didn't play on ponds or backyard rinks all that much, we just went to the rink.