PDA

View Full Version : Article: Will Pavel Buchnevich Join the Rangers for the Playoff Push?

Phil in Absentia
02-22-2016, 10:33 AM
By far the Rangers' top forward prospect, Buchnevich is right around the age that Vladimir Tarasenko and Evgeny Kuznetsov came to North America and immediately stepped into an NHL role. With 16 goals and 21 assists in 68 KHL games this season, Buchnevich lags only slightly behind where the previously mentioned budding stars sat at the same age and is pretty much in line with Artemi Panarin. Whether Buchnevich can produce at the elite level that these players have is to be determined, but there's every reason to expect that Buchnevich could step into the Rangers lineup and immediately contribute in that offensive role on the wing. Maybe most importantly, he would cost the team nothing except the entry-level contract they were happy to commit to him a year ago.

Getting Buchnevich into the lineup comes with some major hurdles, however. His floundering hometown team in Severstal traded him to SKA St. Petersberg, a quality KHL squad loaded with talented players such as former NHLers Slava Voynov, Dmitri Kalinin, and Ilya Kovalchuk. Depending on the success of his team, Buchnevich's season could end anywhere between the very start of March and late April.

The incentive for SKA to not grant Buchnevich early release is two-fold. Severstal traded Buchnevich because they were out of the playoff picture and understood that his intention is to come to the Rangers. However, while, Severstal are a modest, low-budget team, SKA are the KHL's version of the Rangers or Maple Leafs; an historic team in a major, progressive city with incredible prestige and endless spending power. The team has already stated publicly that it will be making an effort to extend Buchnevich for next season, using the aforementioned qualities in an attempt to change his mind. Will it work? Likely not. But logistically, they have a better chance if they take the time to make a calculated pitch and let him think it over. In that case, they won't exactly be in a rush to cut bait.

The bigger hurdle is the World Championships. Whereas the tournament is an afterthought in the United States and Canada, European countries take it very seriously. While Buchnevich is not a lock to be on the team - it will largely depend on what NHLers are available for the tournament's May 6th start - he will be considered, and seems very likely to at least be invited to Russia's tune-up camp. Especially with the tournament being held in Russia this year, and on the back of an embarrassing Sochi showing in 2014, Russia will be particularly eager to put forth a strong lineup. European leagues are usually very cooperative with their national teams, and the link between the KHL and the Russian Hockey Federation is particularly strong.

http://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2016/2/22/11079536/will-pavel-buchnevich-join-the-rangers-for-the-playoff-push

Morphinity
02-22-2016, 10:43 AM
If he even comes over here this season, I don't see how AV puts him in the lineup. We know he trusts vets a billion times more than he trusts rookies. I can't, in any dimension, imagine him playing a kid who is fresh off the boat from Russia.

Future
02-22-2016, 10:52 AM
If he even comes over here this season, I don't see how AV puts him in the lineup. We know he trusts vets a billion times more than he trusts rookies. I can't, in any dimension, imagine him playing a kid who is fresh off the boat from Russia.
I think he'll get a shot right away on the third line. You almost have to do that if he makes the jump.

However, come playoff time, I'd expect him to be scratched if he doesn't light it up at the end of the regular season.

Dunny
02-22-2016, 10:59 AM
According to Twitter something is going down in St. Petersberg.

Future
02-22-2016, 11:04 AM
According to Twitter something is going down in St. Petersberg.
Kovalchuk was dismissed from the team.

SKA Ice Hockey Club ‏@hcSKA_News 24m24 minutes ago
Ilya Kovalchuk has been removed from the squad and sent to train individually. Details: http://ska.ru/en/news/view/maksim-sokolov-koval-chuk-vyviedien-iz-sostava-komandy …

Vodka Drunkenski
02-22-2016, 11:07 AM
Does this give him more minutes?

Morphinity
02-22-2016, 11:08 AM
Does this give him more minutes?

Seeing as how he had 0 last game, then probably :rofl:

ThirtyONE
02-22-2016, 11:13 AM
I'm of two minds here:

1) AV doesn't like to give kids/rookies large amounts of responsibility and I have no reason to believe he'd just throw this kid in there, in the playoffs, no less.

2) If the Rangers strike up a deal to bring him over, I would assume AV would be on board with it, thus discrediting everything I said above.

I'd love to see him come over and contribute, but it seems far fetched. Rarely do people just jump into the NHL and contribute positively. I'm remaining cautiously optimistic about this kid's future but I don't know if the playoffs are a great time to introduce him to North America.

NYR2711
02-22-2016, 11:30 AM
I'm of two minds here:

1) AV doesn't like to give kids/rookies large amounts of responsibility and I have no reason to believe he'd just throw this kid in there, in the playoffs, no less.

2) If the Rangers strike up a deal to bring him over, I would assume AV would be on board with it, thus discrediting everything I said above.

I'd love to see him come over and contribute, but it seems far fetched. Rarely do people just jump into the NHL and contribute positively. I'm remaining cautiously optimistic about this kid's future but I don't know if the playoffs are a great time to introduce him to North America.

Talk to Krieder and see how he feels.

Valriera
02-22-2016, 11:30 AM
This is the wrong time to start trying to see if promising prospects are all they've been cracked up to be. Let him stay until next season and let him work his way onto the team in training camp.

Future
02-22-2016, 11:39 AM
The better comparison is Panarin, though Buch won't be playing with anybody nearly as good as Kane, obviously

Morphinity
02-22-2016, 11:57 AM
Actually, the best comparison to this situation would be Kuznetzov from last year. He came right over and jumped into the lineup. But he had the luxury of having the best Russian player in the world to take him under his wing. Kuznetzov lived with Ovechkin in his time in NA last season.

We don't have that on this team. It's a tough ask to have him come in and just start playing like it's nothing.

Mike
02-22-2016, 11:58 AM

Scoring a few goals off of pure adrenaline doesn't equal playoff success. Kreider spent plenty of time on the bench that playoff.

ThirtyONE
02-22-2016, 12:09 PM
Actually, the best comparison to this situation would be Kuznetzov from last year. He came right over and jumped into the lineup. But he had the luxury of having the best Russian player in the world to take him under his wing. Kuznetzov lived with Ovechkin in his time in NA last season.

We don't have that on this team. It's a tough ask to have him come in and just start playing like it's nothing.

That is something I've thought about recently as well. There are no other Russian speaking player on the team. It will be a tougher transition for Buchnevich based on that fact alone.

Mike
02-22-2016, 12:11 PM
Kreider speaks Russian. He'll turn him into a dumb hockey player in 2 weeks.

torontonyr
02-22-2016, 01:29 PM
Zucc speaks Russian, IIRc.

Could do:
Buchenvich - Brassard - Zucc

CreaseCrusader91
02-22-2016, 01:34 PM
They could just hire Kovalev as an assistant to the head coach. Aka a BS role just to be translator/billet parent to Buchnevich.

Giacomin
02-22-2016, 01:42 PM

Well Panarin has the best player in the world and Arti to speak Russian with. :D

We do need a winger and we are at the point of calling up Hrivik and having Glass in the lineup every game. However, is Buch really ready to contribute at this level without a training camp? Do we want to do that to him? As I mentioned on the "In the System" boards, we have the luxury of observing him in the KHL playoffs and also find out how long of a playoff run, before we make any decisions on him.

Mike
02-22-2016, 01:46 PM
They could just hire Kovalev as an assistant to the head coach. Aka a BS role just to be translator/billet parent to Buchnevich.

He still lives in Westchester, so that could happen ! Probably not though. Lol

CreaseCrusader91
02-22-2016, 01:56 PM
He still lives in Westchester, so that could happen ! Probably not though. Lol

That was my thinking. I doubt it too. He shows up to enough games, just put him on the payroll and comp a few seats for the kids.

ThirtyONE
02-22-2016, 01:57 PM

haha, not a bad idea. Hire him to be his dad.

Morphinity
02-22-2016, 01:59 PM
That was my thinking. I doubt it too. He shows up to enough games, just put him on the payroll and comp a few seats for the kids.

Haha, imagine?

I'd love a player like Kovalev who didn't give a shit.

CreaseCrusader91
02-22-2016, 02:00 PM
haha, not a bad idea. Hire him to be his dad.

From a culture shock perspective, Kovalev would know what it is like to be a young highly touted player in New York. Would be a natural fit in a way. Given the amount of time he would join, would it make sense for PB to spend money to find a place to stay?

Phil in Absentia
02-22-2016, 03:12 PM
Via Elliotte Friedman's AMA on Reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/472b1n/hello_its_elliotte_friedman_of_sportsnet_ama_on/) right now:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4334542/Screen%20Shot%202016-02-22%20at%203.09.56%20PM.png

Future
02-22-2016, 03:18 PM
Via Elliotte Friedman's AMA on Reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/472b1n/hello_its_elliotte_friedman_of_sportsnet_ama_on/) right now:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4334542/Screen%20Shot%202016-02-22%20at%203.09.56%20PM.png
Nothing like answering a question with a question lol

Phil in Absentia
02-22-2016, 03:46 PM
It's the real answer, though. It seems from everything I've read that this is going to be Buchnevich's call. Either come to the NHL because he wants to be there or stick with the KHL becuase he wants to be there. Either way he'll piss the other off.

Future
02-22-2016, 03:54 PM
It's the real answer, though. It seems from everything I've read that this is going to be Buchnevich's call. Either come to the NHL because he wants to be there or stick with the KHL becuase he wants to be there. Either way he'll piss the other off.
Haha yea I know. It was just a creative way of saying "idk"

Phil in Absentia
02-22-2016, 03:55 PM
Haha yea I know. It was just a creative way of saying "idk"

True. But that's also what these guys are trained to do. They can't venture out too far the limb for fear of it snapping and taking their credibility with it.

Phil in Absentia
02-25-2016, 10:18 AM
4) Pavel Buchnevich’s Saint Petersburg club is tied 1-1 in its KHL first-round, best-of-seven series against Lokomotiv. If SKA is eliminated in five games, the Blueshirts’ 19-year-old prospect’s season would be over on Monday. But even if that is the case, and even if the winger would be able to gain his release from his contract that runs through May 1, there is no guarantee the Rangers immediately would pursue him because signing him would burn the first season of his three-year Entry Level contract. Plus, it is unlikely he would be able to provide the instant help the Rangers require.

Buchnevich dressed, but did not play a second for Sergei Zubov’s team in Game 1. In Game 2, after team captain Ilya Kovalchuk had been sent home ,— we’re told the move was ordered by a much higher authority than Zubov — Buchnevich got 6:23 and an assist before he was ejected in conjunction with a slashing major early in the third period.

http://nypost.com/2016/02/24/how-some-losing-could-help-rangers-make-longer-playoff-run/

ThirtyONE
02-25-2016, 10:38 AM
That team sounds like they're a nightmare to play for

phillyb™
02-25-2016, 10:54 AM

agreed.

Giacomin
02-25-2016, 11:07 AM
http://nypost.com/2016/02/24/how-some-losing-could-help-rangers-make-longer-playoff-run/

Great update on Buch, thanks. And good job Larry, good reporting. Except the fucker stole my premise about finishing with the first wild card spot as the lead for his column. That guy.

lefty9
02-25-2016, 01:54 PM
I really want to see Buchnevich playing for the rangers , but reality is that he is t ready to step right in this season, he is probably better off starting the season with the Wolfpack and work his way up to the ranger team

Flynn
02-25-2016, 02:09 PM
I'd hate to burn a year of the ELC on a handful of games...

Slobberknocker
02-25-2016, 02:23 PM

does steve yzerman gm there as well?