PDA

View Full Version : Article: Islanders, Barclays Eye Escape Clause to Get Team Out of Brooklyn

Phil in Absentia
02-20-2016, 05:15 PM
The Islanders’ relationship with Barclays Center has been on such thin ice during the club’s first season in Brooklyn that both sides are secretly exploring ways to cut ties or modify the existing terms of their lease, The Post has learned.

The Islanders were losing roughly $20 million annually playing at the antiquated Nassau Coliseum — their home for 43 years — when owner Charles Wang in 2012 cut a 25-year lease deal with Barclays Center to have the team move there beginning this season. The lease includes a little-known out clause that kicks in after the fourth season that both sides could take advantage of, sources said.

“I don’t think either side ever believed the full lease would be honored,” said a source briefed on the matter. “I just didn’t think we’d be talking about this the first year in.”

Although the Islanders own one of the NHL’s top home records, their fans have been quite sour about the move, complaining about obstructed-view seating, jacked-up ticket prices, the nixing of longtime team traditions and feeling like second-class citizens in a building monopolized by the NBA’s Nets.

A source close to the Islanders and other industry sources say he’s enamored with possibly moving the team to Queens or back to Long Island.

http://nypost.com/2016/02/19/islanders-barclays-eye-escape-clause-to-get-team-out-of-brooklyn/

fletch
02-20-2016, 05:24 PM
Change the name from the Islanders to the Nomads

ThirtyONE
02-20-2016, 06:00 PM
I dunno. This is the same paper that said Tavares to the Leafs when he's not even a FA for 3 more years. Clearly they're looking to get more fans in the building. I think that can be done in Brooklyn.

Phil in Absentia
02-20-2016, 06:40 PM
I dunno. This is the same paper that said Tavares to the Leafs when he's not even a FA for 3 more years. Clearly they're looking to get more fans in the building. I think that can be done in Brooklyn.

No, that was a speculation piece by Brooks, who said explicity that he could see the Leafs going after Tavares if he made it to free agency, assuming they swing and miss on Stamkos.

This is an actual report with sourced quotes from a different Staff writer.

Respecttheblue
02-20-2016, 10:01 PM
You gotta be offing kidding me, already? LOL.

Good news for us LI Rangers fans if it happens :: less expensive opportunities to see other NHL games close to home, and, of course, the Rangers Islanders Nassau Mausoleum Series contests 20 minutes from home.
Hopefully they get that Nassau renovation done well. Or will they find a way to screw that up too?

NYR2711
02-21-2016, 09:37 AM
You gotta be offing kidding me, already? LOL.

Good news for us LI Rangers fans if it happens :: less expensive opportunities to see other NHL games close to home, and, of course, the Rangers Islanders Nassau Mausoleum Series contests 20 minutes from home.
Hopefully they get that Nassau renovation done well. Or will they find a way to screw that up too?

The new Coliseum is going to be too small for an NHL team, max seating with be only 13,000. I still say a new arena out in Islip should be built, or even where the Kings Park Mental Hospital or Pilgrim State over in Brentwood. Both are huge area's that can support a new arena and parking, and is close to the true Islanders fans.

SaveByRichter35
02-21-2016, 11:50 AM
Pilgrim would be great. Easy access from both Northern and Southern State Parkways and both the LIE and Sunrise. Deer Park Train station is close enough too. Only problem is I believe there are still some buildings of Pilgrim State open and being used.

NYR2711
02-21-2016, 10:02 PM
Pilgrim would be great. Easy access from both Northern and Southern State Parkways and both the LIE and Sunrise. Deer Park Train station is close enough too. Only problem is I believe there are still some buildings of Pilgrim State open and being used.

They have 1 or 2 buildings still being used, but they tore down most of them. Plus, you have that huge field across from the college which coukd be used to build something. That is a prime area, as well as by the courts in Islip, near where the Ducks play.

Blue Heaven
02-22-2016, 12:52 PM
A lot of Islander talk about this arena issue on WFAN the last hour. Basically ripping the Islanders and how this move to Brooklyn has bombed.

Future
02-22-2016, 12:59 PM
A lot of Islander talk about this arena issue on WFAN the last hour. Basically ripping the Islanders and how this move to Brooklyn has bombed.
I don't think it's exactly a surprise.

McDougalfaschnitzer
02-22-2016, 03:04 PM
It's not like the Nets are doing much better in the attendance department. I think if they stick with it (and more importantly win) they would be fine. I was thinking they needed a practice rink closer but to me it doesn't seem like a big deal, especially when you consider how the Rangers aren't close to their practice facility.

Phil in Absentia
02-22-2016, 03:27 PM
It still reeks of sour grapes to me from the majority of Islanders fans who are holdin their own fandom hostage by refusing to travel to Brooklyn to watch games, even though in a lot of ways their commute to and from games has gotten easier and safer. Especially for fans who like to drink at games. Now, you can drink all you like, stumble across the street to the LIRR and let someone else "drive" you home. What's the worst thing that can happen now, you miss your stop becuase you pass out? Big deal.

NYR2711
02-22-2016, 08:11 PM
It still reeks of sour grapes to me from the majority of Islanders fans who are holdin their own fandom hostage by refusing to travel to Brooklyn to watch games, even though in a lot of ways their commute to and from games has gotten easier and safer. Especially for fans who like to drink at games. Now, you can drink all you like, stumble across the street to the LIRR and let someone else "drive" you home. What's the worst thing that can happen now, you miss your stop becuase you pass out? Big deal.

Tack on the LIRR prices plus the ticket now. For me, a trip into Barclay's is about $25-30 round trip. Give that to a family of 4, and you just added on another $100 to an already expensive night. The biggest problem is that there is no parking over there. When you have kids, its a pain in the ass because they won't sleep on the way home.

Blue Heaven
02-23-2016, 01:39 PM
Tack on the LIRR prices plus the ticket now. For me, a trip into Barclay's is about $25-30 round trip. Give that to a family of 4, and you just added on another $100 to an already expensive night. The biggest problem is that there is no parking over there. When you have kids, its a pain in the ass because they won't sleep on the way home.

Ive been to the Barclays a few times for different events. I have driven almost every time and I havent had a problem finding street parking a few blocks away. Metered parking expires at 7 PM near the arena, so I would get to the arena around 5:00-5:30 and feed the meter until 7. They also do have a garage across the street where the Target/Best Buy is.

Phil in Absentia
02-23-2016, 01:41 PM

How would parking make it any better? You'd be paying like $100 to park for the night anyway. Plus the cost of gas.

NYR2711
02-23-2016, 06:15 PM
How would parking make it any better? You'd be paying like $100 to park for the night anyway. Plus the cost of gas.

Coliseum parking was only like $25 to park at. I'd rather pay the $25 over $100 for the train ride. Add in another $5 for gas, and its still cheaper. Your also adding on time to the commute over driving. If the game ends at 930, and your train isnt until 10, thats already a half hour of just standing around. I hate taking the train to Ranger games, I only do it because driving into Manhattan for a 700 game is almost impossible. Anytime I went to the Coliseum for anything, I coukd leave a half hour before the gates open and still be there before they opened up. Plus, from what I hear from people that go to the games, the prices for food are a lot higher at Barclay's than the Coliseum were, so it costs families more money to go to Brooklyn than the Coliseum.

Blue Heaven
02-24-2016, 09:31 AM
Jeremy Roenick on WFAN with Boomer and Carton, just mentioned that he's heard it from players that its a pain for them to get to/from the game.

Pete
02-24-2016, 09:35 AM
Jeremy Roenick on WFAN with Boomer and Carton, just mentioned that he's heard it from players that its a pain for them to get to/from the game.
Do a majority live on LI?

They should move, if so.

It would have been hard for Thrasher players to get to Winnipeg every night, too.

When the team moves, you move.

Blue Heaven
02-24-2016, 09:42 AM

They should move, if so.

It would have been hard for Thrasher players to get to Winnipeg every night, too.

They do live on LI, their practice facility is on LI b/c the Isles wanted to keep the Long Island "roots".

Not an issue for Rangers players though, practice facility in Greenburgh, bunch of players live in Manhattan and travel to practice there, or a bunch of players live in Westchester and travel to MSG on game day. Those isles players are a just a bunch of whiners. :p

I am Scags
02-24-2016, 10:21 AM
They do live on LI, their practice facility is on LI b/c the Isles wanted to keep the Long Island "roots".

Not an issue for Rangers players though, practice facility in Greenburgh, bunch of players live in Manhattan and travel to practice there, or a bunch of players live in Westchester and travel to MSG on game day. Those isles players are a just a bunch of whiners. :p

I was thinking that same thing, although it is a little harder to get into downtown Brooklyn from Long Island, your options are limited; the belt parkway which is an out of the way disaster with constant traffic, the LIE to 278 and through that maze of traffic around the east river crossings (good luck with that) or smaller streets which would take forever. To get to Greenburgh you have more options and less traffic, the Henry Hudson/Saw Mill, the Deegan, or the Bronx River/Sprain Brook, all roadways that unless there is an accident or construction move relatively easy north of the GWB and Cross bronx

NYRangers92
02-24-2016, 10:33 AM
I was thinking that same thing, although it is a little harder to get into downtown Brooklyn from Long Island, your options are limited; the belt parkway which is an of the way disaster with constant traffic, the LIE to 278 and through that maze of traffic around the east river crossings (good luck with that) or smaller streets which would take forever. To get to Greenburgh you have more options and less traffic, the Henry Hudson/Saw Mill, the Deegan, or the Bronx River/Sprain Brook, all roadways that unless there is an accident or construction move relatively easy north of the GWB and Cross bronx

Don't forget Metro North too haha.

I am Scags
02-24-2016, 10:36 AM
Don't forget Metro North too haha.

True, but I was speaking strictly on car travel. But yea Metro North like the LIE on long island is huge mover of people from the north, although doesn't Metro north only pull in and out of Grand Central?

NYRangers92
02-24-2016, 10:44 AM
yeah but how far is a walk from Grand central to MSG/Penn, 10-15 minutes?

I am Scags
02-24-2016, 11:01 AM

That or a quick easy cab fare

NYR2711
02-24-2016, 11:29 AM

They should move, if so.

Problem is that parking over there is very limited, and if you don't live near a subway line that goes near there, their only option is to drive, and Im sure you know how much of a pain in the ass it is to drive in Brooklyn or anywhere else in NYC.

NYR2711
02-24-2016, 11:31 AM

You can take the Shuttle from Grand Central to Times Square, and then the 1,2 or 3 to Penn/MSG. a couple of players do take the subway to the game, the others park across the street from MSG in the garage or take a cab.

Blue Heaven
07-21-2016, 01:32 PM
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-07-21/nhl-s-islanders-said-considering-a-move-to-queens-with-mets-help

The New York Islanders are in talks with the owners of baseball’s New York Mets about building a hockey arena adjacent to Citi Field in Queens, people with knowledge of the discussions said.

Willets Point is emerging as a persuasive alternative to the team’s current home at Brooklyn’s Barclays Center if the Islanders’s owners and arena officials can’t agree on a series of hockey-specific improvements, said the people, who asked for anonymity because the negotiations are private.

Morphinity
07-21-2016, 01:36 PM
I don't see how this alleviates the problems that the Islanders are having with Barclays other than sight lines.

Blue Heaven
07-21-2016, 01:39 PM
I don't see how this alleviates the problems that the Islanders are having with Barclays other than sight lines.

"closer" to Long Island, their main fanbase. Still have LIRR and subway to get to a game, in addition parking.

There is already an arena in Flushing Meadows Park, World Ice Arena, it would be perfect for the Islanders and their fans.

NYR2711
07-21-2016, 03:42 PM
"closer" to Long Island, their main fanbase. Still have LIRR and subway to get to a game, in addition parking.

There is already an arena in Flushing Meadows Park, World Ice Arena, it would be perfect for the Islanders and their fans.

That's a public rink though, I don't think the city would be willing to give that up. Plus, they are still giving Messier issues with the rink he wants to build in the Bronx. I also don't see how it's "closer to Long Island". It's still a part of the city and would only be moving North, plus Brooklyn and Queens are part of Long Island. They should look to build something at either Kings Park or Pilgram State facilities in Suffolk. Both offer plenty of space and are easy to get to. Even if they looked in Islip near where the Ducks play or in Riverhead near the courthouses there is plenty of space.

Blue Heaven
07-21-2016, 04:24 PM
That's a public rink though, I don't think the city would be willing to give that up. Plus, they are still giving Messier issues with the rink he wants to build in the Bronx. I also don't see how it's "closer to Long Island". It's still a part of the city and would only be moving North, plus Brooklyn and Queens are part of Long Island. They should look to build something at either Kings Park or Pilgram State facilities in Suffolk. Both offer plenty of space and are easy to get to. Even if they looked in Islip near where the Ducks play or in Riverhead near the courthouses there is plenty of space.

World Ice: It was a joke, it has seating for like 2000.
Queens: More Islander fans in Queens than in Brooklyn. Easier commute for people from Nassau/Suffolk than to Brooklyn. LIRR/#7 train, AND Parking. Brooklyn only has subway/LIRR and NO MASSIVE Parking lot like CitiField. Citifield is 5 miles closer to Nassau Coliseum (just using as a general reference point) than Brooklyn which could be the difference of 30 minutes driving on a game night.

NYR2711
07-21-2016, 08:17 PM
World Ice: It was a joke, it has seating for like 2000.
Queens: More Islander fans in Queens than in Brooklyn. Easier commute for people from Nassau/Suffolk than to Brooklyn. LIRR/#7 train, AND Parking. Brooklyn only has subway/LIRR and NO MASSIVE Parking lot like CitiField. Citifield is 5 miles closer to Nassau Coliseum (just using as a general reference point) than Brooklyn which could be the difference of 30 minutes driving on a game night.

A lot of the land around Citifield has been sold already to developers, so anything built won't be near the 7 or LIRR. 5 miles also doesn't make that much of a difference. Barclays is easier because you can take a train directly in and out and not have that long of a walk to the arena. In fact, I would say you would have more people going to Barclays over anything in Queens. Brooklyn is the new spot that's booming for nightlife.

CreaseCrusader91
07-21-2016, 08:26 PM
I'm interested to see how they'd swing it. They have been trying to develop around Citi Field for quite some time now. There's the stadium and then the consortium of chop shops across the street.

I know there has been push back at the "urban" revitalization projects but I guess the fact that this group is involved with Sterling means they have a sense of how long it would take etc.

NYR2711
07-21-2016, 08:34 PM
I'm interested to see how they'd swing it. They have been trying to develop around Citi Field for quite some time now. There's the stadium and then the consortium of chop shops across the street.

I know there has been push back at the "urban" revitalization projects but I guess the fact that this group is involved with Sterling means they have a sense of how long it would take etc.

Those chop shops are being torn down, albeit slowly, but they are supposedly rebuilding the area into a shopping district. A lot of that land has been bought up for development. From what I have heard is that they also want to put in a park over there for city kids to play sports. I have heard a lot of things they want to build over there, and it could revitalize the area if they can pull it off. The biggest issue is that a lot of that land over there is also swamp land. They built the new NYPD police academy across the Whitestone, and it's only a couple of years old, and it's already having issues.

Respecttheblue
07-21-2016, 09:38 PM
The new Coliseum is going to be too small for an NHL team, max seating with be only 13,000. I still say a new arena out in Islip should be built, or even where the Kings Park Mental Hospital or Pilgrim State over in Brentwood. Both are huge area's that can support a new arena and parking, and is close to the true Islanders fans.

I go out there often. Pilgrim Psych is closer to a bunch of white tail deer in Heckscher S.P. than anything else ;). It won't pull much in numbers of casual fans

I think your highest density of Islander fans is in Nassau County (disclaimer: where I live) urban and suburban population centers and parts of Queens. Nassau is more central to Suffolk and Queens. Out in Suffolk you are going to lose all those Nassau and Queens fans once again. They can't make two mistakes.

NYR2711
07-22-2016, 01:43 AM
I go out there often. Pilgrim Psych is closer to a bunch of white tail deer in Heckscher S.P. than anything else ;). It won't pull much in numbers of casual fans

I think your highest density of Islander fans is in Nassau County (disclaimer: where I live) urban and suburban population centers and parts of Queens. Nassau is more central to Suffolk and Queens. Out in Suffolk you are going to lose all those Nassau and Queens fans once again. They can't make two mistakes.

I don't think you'll lose too many fans going out to Pilgram State or Kings Park. Riverhead yes, but Pilgram State is in Brentwood which isn't too far, and has easy access to the LIE and Northern and Southern States. There is a huge group of Islander fans in Suffolk as well. It's only a half hour east of the old Coliseum. Nassau really doesn't have any big open area's that can support a new arena either, plus all the NIMBY people are in Nassau, which is why they had to move to begin with.

SaveByRichter35
07-22-2016, 10:00 AM
Suffolk is full of Islander fans, just as much as Ranger fans. An arena at Pilgrim State would be perfect. Its just as accessible as the Coliseum was. LIE exit 53. From there you can also access it from the Northern State via Sagtikos/Sunken Meadow, Southern State via Sagtikos/Sunken Meadow, Sunrise Hwy via Southern State to Sagtikos/Sunken Meadow. From the LIRR, the Deer Park Station is right down the road from there as well. They have shuttles from Deer Park to the Tanger Outlets so I am sure they would also have some kind of shuttles for an arena. Hell, maybe even add a new stop a little further east of DP just for the arena. Will it happen? Probably not. I think the Islanders were one of, if not the last, pro franchise that was located in a suburban area. Probably better for business to be in a more densely populated urban area. More bars and restaurants for pre and post game activities. As it stands now, there isn't shit to do near Pilgrim State.

NYR2711
07-22-2016, 09:03 PM
Newsday is reporting that they are now looking at building an arena at Belmont Race Track.

SaveByRichter35
07-25-2016, 06:58 PM
Suffolk is full of Islander fans, just as much as Ranger fans. An arena at Pilgrim State would be perfect. Its just as accessible as the Coliseum was. LIE exit 53. From there you can also access it from the Northern State via Sagtikos/Sunken Meadow, Southern State via Sagtikos/Sunken Meadow, Sunrise Hwy via Southern State to Sagtikos/Sunken Meadow. From the LIRR, the Deer Park Station is right down the road from there as well. They have shuttles from Deer Park to the Tanger Outlets so I am sure they would also have some kind of shuttles for an arena. Hell, maybe even add a new stop a little further east of DP just for the arena. Will it happen? Probably not. I think the Islanders were one of, if not the last, pro franchise that was located in a suburban area. Probably better for business to be in a more densely populated urban area. More bars and restaurants for pre and post game activities. As it stands now, there isn't shit to do near Pilgrim State.

You know something I forgot was that the Sagtikos/Sunken Meadow State Parkway is only two lanes so that could prove to be a problem with traffic volume for games.

EdMc28
07-25-2016, 10:44 PM
There have been a multitude of problems with the move to Barcaly's. I attended tons of games at the coliseum throughout the years and a decent amount of games at Barclay's this season. I'm a long islander, nearly all my friends are islander fans, and I've heard just about every positive and negative regarding the move. Plus I expierenced a number of them first hand as well.

The LIRR was embraced by the younger crowd, who like Phil mentioned above likes to drink. The trains to barcaly's were packed every single night. I commute home from Atlantic Terminal every night that I'm not going to MSG after work and every night the islanders were home the trains were packed coming in. I read they were averaging something like 4000 extra riders on the trains to BK on nights the isles played at home. All my younger friends like the idea that they can pre game on the train, go to hip bars around the BC, talk to girls at the bar, etc. On the flip side the older isles fans around here who don't work in NYC flat out refuse to take the train to the game. People on long island come in two molds. The ones who work in the city and deal with the train, and those who work on long island and want to drive everywhere. Those are the fans that aren't going anymore. The price of the LIRR plays a huge factor into this as well since its not cheap by any means. A family of four will cost close to $100 depending on where you're coming from. Not to mention that the service can be dreadful.

The building itself isn't bad if you get yourself a good seat. That's all I have to say. I went to a number of games where i just made sure that I had a good seat so I'd have no issues. The people whining about the bad seats are the ones who liked buying $6 tickets in the coliseum parking lot and sneaking down into the 100s which doesn't fly with the strict ushers at Barclay's.

The atmosphere is nothing like nassau which is the biggest difference in my eyes. A packed house at Nassau was an unreal experience, and one of the best in the NHL.

The final thing that I think has happened is they misjudged the hockey interest in Brooklyn and New York City. The locals didn't turn out in droves to see the Islanders. Most nights that place was filled with all the folks who embraced the LIRR and the move that I talked about above, visiting fans, and tourists.

In my mind I would love to see them move to Queens, but do we really need 5 freaking arenas in the NYC area? Not to mention who the heck is going to pay for the arena. For what its worth I would prefer the Belmont park site over citi field as well. Its closer to their core fan base, ample parking, easy access to the highway, and the LIRR has a newly renovated terminal at Belmont that can access the main line in either direction. Fans could be on a train heading to Jamaica in a matter of minutes, and they could run direct trains to Huntington and Ronk with no issues. Taking the train to Citi Field sucks, no other way to describe it. Now imagine doing the whole waiting outside at Mets Willets point, and transferring at woodside, and in some cases Jamacia as well in the cold? No thanks.