PDA

View Full Version : Rumor/Report: Canadiens ‘Gauging the Market’ for P.K. Subban Trade

Phil in Absentia
02-19-2016, 10:44 AM
It's going from silly to sillier in Montreal.

A night after TSN's Bob McKenzie reported that Montreal Canadiens defenseman P.K. Subban and Michel Therrien aren't going anywhere, TVA's Louis Jean has chimed in.

Jean cites a team executive who claims that Subban's "name has come up" on the trade market.

:tweet: @LouisJean_TVA: Not suggesting #Canadiens will trade Subban. Just saying one team confirmed #Habs are "gauging the market".

Subban was called out by Therrien (“http://www.thescore.com/news/962036") after Montreal's latest loss, leading to speculation that a shoe is set to drop within the Canadiens' camp.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/957821

Shane Falco
02-19-2016, 10:49 AM
Habs are beyond stupid if they elect to trade him AND keep Therrien.

Fuck, I'd trade for Subban.

phillyb™
02-19-2016, 10:52 AM
Habs are beyond stupid if they elect to trade him AND keep Therrien.

Fuck, I'd trade for Subban.

that cap hit...
we'd have to lose the nash contract, most likely...and potentially still have to free up money elsewhere.
and then there's the obvious, "let's ask staal or girardi if they want to go to montreal"

Vodka Drunkenski
02-19-2016, 11:00 AM
McD for PK

Phil in Absentia
02-19-2016, 11:00 AM
A lot easier to ask a player to go to Montréal than to go to Columbus.

Future
02-19-2016, 11:01 AM
that cap hit...
we'd have to lose the nash contract, most likely...and potentially still have to free up money elsewhere.
and then there's the obvious, "let's ask staal or girardi if they want to go to montreal"
I think his cap hit makes him almost immovable. $9 million a year with huge question marks about where the salary cap is going makes it really difficult. Perhaps someone could convince the Habs to eat $2m or so, but that means the return would have to be huge.

He was born in Toronto...maybe the Leafs could clear enough cap for him and Stamkos? lol

phillyb™
02-19-2016, 11:10 AM
McD for PK

i'm fairly certain this is a joke because we fleeced MTL in getting mcdonagh. and if this is a joke, this is a great joke.

A lot easier to ask a player to go to Montréal than to go to Columbus.

yeah, definitely true.
i think girardi would look good in that sweater.

I think his cap hit makes him almost immovable. $9 million a year with huge question marks about where the salary cap is going makes it really difficult. Perhaps someone could convince the Habs to eat $2m or so, but that means the return would have to be huge.

He was born in Toronto...maybe the Leafs could clear enough cap for him and Stamkos? lol

omg, could you imagine. stammer and subban. all they'd need is a freakin goalie and they'd be #contenders

Shane Falco
02-19-2016, 11:15 AM

I think if they pulled that off, they hockey world would explode lol

Future
02-19-2016, 11:52 AM
I think if they pulled that off, they hockey world would explode lol
Lol...well it didn't take long

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--GCv7WFyK--/qw9wu7r3ns5bhlnadaon.jpg

Shane Falco
02-19-2016, 12:01 PM
LOL omg..

Subban wants to win. I highly doubt he wants to be part of a rebuild.

Keirik
02-19-2016, 12:01 PM
Nash for PK, then try to move Girardi or Staal for a pick, retain Yandle in the offseason, and we end up in the same boat we are now but instead with a more mobile defense for years to come.

Shane Falco
02-19-2016, 12:05 PM
I don't see the team keeping Yandle if they ever landed PK. That d core would be crazy expensive.

Keirik
02-19-2016, 12:08 PM
I don't see the team keeping Yandle if they ever landed PK. That d core would be crazy expensive.

It obviosly would only work if you got rid of Staal or G and not obtain a contract in the Nash trade. Might not even work that way, but it would be close. Either way, PK would do more in one round of the playoffs than Nash has his entire playoff career.

Blue Heaven
02-19-2016, 12:22 PM
It obviosly would only work if you got rid of Staal or G and not obtain a contract in the Nash trade. Might not even work that way, but it would be close. Either way, PK would do more in one round of the playoffs than Nash has his entire playoff career.

LOL

Morphinity
02-19-2016, 12:26 PM
I'd trade anything for PK Subban, don't even care. He's a player to build around.

Pete
02-19-2016, 12:40 PM
A PK/McD top pair could anchor this team for another 10 years.

Vodka Drunkenski
02-19-2016, 12:50 PM
Eric Staal for PK

Dunny
02-19-2016, 12:51 PM
No, he's just not very responsible and we've seen the results this year. I think he's vastly overrated and on an absolutely awful contract.

He can't "anchor" anything. He's a total freelancer which is really fun to watch but I question how he fits in, as a defenceman, in any structure. He doesn't have the offensive accumen of Karlsson to warrant it.

It's tempting because the love affair would be out of this world but the cost will be too much.

Pete
02-19-2016, 12:55 PM
Yea, you're right.

The current right side of G, Klein, and McI is probably the way to go....

AmericanJesus
02-19-2016, 12:56 PM
Not that this is happening, but what's a realistic package that we can also afford cap-wise?

Nash, Buchnevich, McIlrath and a second?

Adds $1.2M for us next season, but even if we can't get rid of one of Girardi or Staal immediately, we could always try to float next year with one year deals for some young guys and then move Girardi the following year when is NMC becomes a limited NTC.

Yandle and Boyle walk next year and our d is:

McD - Subban
Staal - Klein
Skjei - Girardi

Shane Falco
02-19-2016, 12:57 PM

I know the numbers could work. What I'm saying is I dont think management would want to have a defensive core that costs THAT much. I'm totally for getting him. But I don't think I'd want Yandle AND Subban. Would rather get a forward with Yandle's money.

Future
02-19-2016, 01:03 PM

McD - Subban
Staal - Klein
Skjei - Girardi
I think Subban would be better paired with someone like Staal. Anchoring Mac to Subban would mean that he has to be ultra-responsible and I think that takes away from his own playmaking abilities. If you break the two of them up, you've got two top pairs, essentially, and you've got a lot more balance in terms of playmaking/stay-at-home on the back end.

You can always put the two together on the PP or when down a goal late, but I think pairing them wouldn't allow you to get the most out of Mac.

Pete
02-19-2016, 01:09 PM
I've never been super impressed by McD's offensive "ability".

Keirik
02-19-2016, 01:18 PM
Could you imagine a PP unit of Yandle and PK? That would be pretty impressive and a bit reminiscent of Leetch/Zubov when you just could not take a penalty against us without paying for it dearly.

Johnnydollaz18
Lol...well it didn't take long

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--GCv7WFyK--/qw9wu7r3ns5bhlnadaon.jpg

But Subban is right-handed. lol

Vodka Drunkenski
i'm fairly certain this is a joke because we fleeced MTL in getting mcdonagh. and if this is a joke, this is a great joke. yeah, definitely true. i think girardi would look good in that sweater. omg, could you imagine. stammer and subban. all they'd need is a freakin goalie and they'd be #contenders

;)

Valriera
02-19-2016, 03:15 PM
To be honest, Nash would be a great fit in montreal due to their style of play which involves playing defensively and not scoring goals.

SaveByRichter35
02-21-2016, 01:40 PM
You're giving Nash too much credit. Subban would probably pass him in one game. :D

I know the numbers could work. What I'm saying is I dont think management would want to have a defensive core that costs THAT much. I'm totally for getting him. But I don't think I'd want Yandle AND Subban. Would rather get a forward with Yandle's money.
Agree. Need to get something back for Yandle.

Could you imagine a PP unit of Yandle and PK? That would be pretty impressive and a bit reminiscent of Leetch/Zubov when you just could not take a penalty against us without paying for it dearly.
Knowing AV Subban would probably see the last 30 seconds of the PP just like he's doing with Yandle :rolleyes:

Respecttheblue
02-21-2016, 06:56 PM
i'm fairly certain this is a joke because we fleeced MTL in getting mcdonagh. and if this is a joke, this is a great joke.

yeah, definitely true.
i think girardi would look good in that sweater.

:rofl: Go get 'im Slats, *cough* Gorts.

torontonyr
02-21-2016, 09:53 PM
Not that this is happening, but what's a realistic package that we can also afford cap-wise?

Nash, Buchnevich, McIlrath and a second?

Adds $1.2M for us next season, but even if we can't get rid of one of Girardi or Staal immediately, we could always try to float next year with one year deals for some young guys and then move Girardi the following year when is NMC becomes a limited NTC.

McD - Subban
Staal - Klein
Skjei - Girardi

That'd be one scary Forward corps.