PDA

View Full Version : Rumor/Report: Gaudreau Starts Work on ‘biggest contract in Flames history’

Phil in Absentia
02-18-2016, 01:16 PM
“[A new contract] is just something to get out of the way,” Gaudreau told Eric Francis. “Whatever is best for the Flames and whatever is best for us, we’ll come to an agreement and we’ll figure something out.”

According to Francis, who works for Sportsnet and the Calgary Sun, the figuring-out begins this week. Gaudreau’s agent, Lewis Gross, has flown to Calgary to help Gaudreau with some promotional engagements. Lewis and Brad Treliving will have coffee, the Flames’ general manager said.

That cup of joe, Francis writes, will begin “the framework for what will undoubtedly be the biggest contract in Calgary Flames history.”

Francis points to the eight-year, $60-million deal ($7.5 million cap hit) St. Louis's Vladimir Tarasenko inked last summer as the closest comparable.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/johnny-gaudreau-new-contract-agent-negotiation-rfa-biggest-history-calgary-flames-treliving/

Future
02-18-2016, 02:25 PM
8 for $8m seems about right, though I think it's a little premature to give away that kind of contract. The best part is that you wouldn't be paying him late into his 30s, if that's the case.

Dunny
02-18-2016, 02:25 PM
Don't do it Johnny Guitar!

Johnnydollaz18
02-18-2016, 02:31 PM
Whatever he gets, he deserves it. Just sucks he'll rot in Calgary for most of his career.

Future
02-18-2016, 02:53 PM
Whatever he gets, he deserves it. Just sucks he'll rot in Calgary for most of his career.
Is Calgary a crappy place to be? It always seemed like one of those lovable loser towns with a good fan base to me...like Buffalo.

Johnnydollaz18
02-18-2016, 03:00 PM
Is Calgary a crappy place to be? It always seemed like one of those lovable loser towns with a good fan base to me...like Buffalo.

I'm not sure about the area or the fans, I was mainly commenting on how poor the team has been over years.

Future
02-18-2016, 03:19 PM
I'm not sure about the area or the fans, I was mainly commenting on how poor the team has been over years.
lol oh. It wasn't that long ago that they were in the Cup finals though, and they've got a pretty good young core. Shouldn't be too long before they're a contender, especially with LA, ANA and SJ all fading.

Johnnydollaz18
02-18-2016, 03:51 PM
lol oh. It wasn't that long ago that they were in the Cup finals though, and they've got a pretty good young core. Shouldn't be too long before they're a contender, especially with LA, ANA and SJ all fading.

Very good young core. Just need a consistent starting goaltender and maybe an upgrade on defense.

Morphinity
02-18-2016, 03:55 PM
Very good young core. Just need a consistent starting goaltender and maybe an upgrade on defense.

Sounds like he won't be "rotting" in Calgary then...

Dunny
02-18-2016, 04:02 PM
Pretty good core but you know they'll end up paying Gaudreau, Bennet and Monahan like they're superstars because they have too and they'll be worse off for it.

Valriera
02-18-2016, 06:51 PM
While I don't think he deserves it, anything in that ballpark is going to be looked at as a steal in a few years. The kid can play good hockey on a bad team and he's still 19.

Myusername
02-18-2016, 07:07 PM
He's 22. Even still, a point per game 22 year olds are not easy to come by

Phil in Absentia
02-18-2016, 09:33 PM
Pretty good core but you know they'll end up paying Gaudreau, Bennet and Monahan like they're superstars because they have too and they'll be worse off for it.

New NHL trend pays players early. It's smart.

Johnnydollaz18
02-19-2016, 09:04 AM
Sounds like he won't be "rotting" in Calgary then...

Having a young core doesn't guarantee success...