PDA

View Full Version : [TSN] Leafs Have Remote Chance of Landing Stamkos

Phil in Absentia
02-12-2016, 12:42 PM
Nothing sparks a rebuild like convincing one of the game’s brightest stars to sign on for seven years at $12 million per to jump-start the long trek back to Stanley Cup contention.

Is it possible? Of course it is. Is it likely? Not when you sift through the facts Stamkos is consuming as he weaves his way through the regular season, playoffs and then into a boardroom at Newport Sports to meticulously hammer out the contract of his career.

First of all, it's still a large assumption Steve Yzerman and Lightning ownership won't or can't find the balance between good business and keeping Stamkos, a key cog in their long-term plans. It's unlikely Tampa Bay will move from $8.5 million to $12 million, a figure I use in relation to the Leafs because if Stamkos is giving up two, three, or more contending years, he's going to get paid to do it and paid large. So, provided the Lightning move a bit on the money, there's no reason to think his days in Florida are numbered.

Beyond signing an extension, Stamkos will obviously have multiple options if a decision is made to go to market. Teams will be packing offers creatively mapping out the financial benefits, endorsement ideas and, most importantly, convincing arguments on why Stamkos is the missing piece in their Stanley Cup puzzle.

Toronto could be near the front of this line in terms of offers, bells and whistles, Stamkos street signs, etc. However, further analysis charts their chances at this stage as remote.

http://www.tsn.ca/leafs-have-remote-chance-of-landing-stamkos-1.437040

Dunny
02-12-2016, 12:46 PM
Just his opinion. I think they have the best chance outside of Tampa. That's just my opinion of course.

Phil in Absentia
02-12-2016, 12:49 PM
It's an informed opinion, though. The more I think about it, the less it makes sense outside of just wanting to play for his home town Leafs.

Of all the suitors he's going to have on July 1st, including Tampa, the Leafs offer one of the worst possible immediate futures IMO.

NYRangers92
02-12-2016, 12:51 PM
Also talk about a potentially unwanted culture shock, on-ice stuff aside

BlairBettsBlocksEverything
02-12-2016, 01:02 PM
It's an informed opinion, though. The more I think about it, the less it makes sense outside of just wanting to play for his home town Leafs.

Of all the suitors he's going to have on July 1st, including Tampa, the Leafs offer one of the worst possible immediate futures IMO.

I think we kind of assume that every player is trying to go to their hometown team. With that said, the Leafs will have the resources and cap room to offer him a monster contract. But does Stamkos really want to waste his prime on a team that is completely rebuilding? He spend 4 of his first 5 NHL seasons out of the playoffs. Coming off of a season where he went to the Finals, I really don't see him, after coming so close to a cup once, going somewhere he can't win a cup. Unless he wants to be the legend that takes Toronto to a cup, but he will probably be at least in his early 30's before that team has a chance at a cup, and that's being generous.

Dunny
02-12-2016, 01:04 PM
It's the difference between true greatness and a successful career.

Nobody gives a fuck about the Buffalo Sabers or the Nashville Predators or the Tampa Bay lightning for that matter. They're filler teams invented by marketing people with fan bases measured in the thousands.

Fuck that Steven. Go be a hero.

BlairBettsBlocksEverything
02-12-2016, 01:06 PM
speaking of Buffalo, Bob McKenzie apparently believes that the Sabres are a team that Stamkos is interested in going to.

https://twitter.com/SabresOptimist/status/697976961621069824

Not his twitter, but there's a video in there of him saying that. Sorry, don't know how to get the tweet in the reply

NYR2711
02-12-2016, 01:49 PM

I agree here. The other factor is will he want to run for the money or take a little less to go to a team that is a contender no or will be in the future. Honestly, I can see the Islanders a s a team he could want to go to, if they are willing to spend money. They are a young team that is getting better. Put him on a line with Tavaras, and thats a scary tandem. I don't see Toronto as the fit for him either. I would think Anaheim, San Jose, Detroit might be good fits. But its also going to be tough for the good teams to sign him over the summer and stay under the cap. A team would have to have a sign and trade type of deal if they go after him at the deadline.

Pete
02-12-2016, 10:37 PM
I think we kind of assume that every player is trying to go to their hometown team. With that said, the Leafs will have the resources and cap room to offer him a monster contract. But does Stamkos really want to waste his prime on a team that is completely rebuilding? He spend 4 of his first 5 NHL seasons out of the playoffs. Coming off of a season where he went to the Finals, I really don't see him, after coming so close to a cup once, going somewhere he can't win a cup. Unless he wants to be the legend that takes Toronto to a cup, but he will probably be at least in his early 30's before that team has a chance at a cup, and that's being generous.
Yea. Same as we assume Staal wants to play in Carolina.

It's the difference between true greatness and a successful career.

Nobody gives a fuck about the Buffalo Sabers or the Nashville Predators or the Tampa Bay lightning for that matter. They're filler teams invented by marketing people with fan bases measured in the thousands.

Fuck that Steven. Go be a hero.
Toronto ownership will prevent them from ever winning anything.