PDA

View Full Version : Players' Tribune: Victor Hedman: How We Play Hockey In Sweden

Blue Heaven
02-11-2016, 05:02 PM
http://www.theplayerstribune.com/victor-hedman-lightning-sweden-hockey/

Phil in Absentia
02-11-2016, 05:14 PM
Not bad. Far less compelling a read than the usual Players' Trib entries, but you aren't wasting your time finishing it either.

Dunny
02-11-2016, 05:14 PM
Hey look, it's a bust.

Phil in Absentia
02-11-2016, 05:21 PM
Hey look, it's a bust.

Wrong Swede (http://devils.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8476457)?

Dunny
02-11-2016, 06:55 PM
Haha.. I was thinking about his bust status the other night.

Dunny
02-11-2016, 06:58 PM
Actually a pretty good read, what he's describing sounds like what I grew up with here before minor hockey was pretty much ruined by forcing AAA on rural areas.

Puck Head
02-14-2016, 01:05 PM
Outstanding read, I'm very familiar with MoDo from USA hockey (read further down).

I am going to pass this on to our hockey community. Like Dunny, we have totally screwed ourselves up with "comp" hockey.

I came from a town of North Pole (official population 800). We start skating at age 5-6, and pretty much keep the same group of 12 together through high school. From that high school team we produced 4 NCAA players, and 3 minor league players who never played NCAA.

Then next town over (Fairbanks) was much the same. 100,000 population, and from 1988-1996 produced around 70 NCAA players and 10-15 major Jr players. We didn't skip from team to team back then, we had a even league of 12 players, and around the age of 15-17 we started getting taps on the shoulders that there is a plane ticket waiting to head to the BCHL, USHL, and a few teamates to the WHL. Hell, Hayden O'Rear was drafted directly to the Canucks from our midget team. We grew up together, went to school together, and we're all brothers.

Fast forward 10 years later, and I'm now a coach. And remember when I started to get the "comp" generation. They just didn't play the same way, and the worse part were the parents.

The reason I know so much about MoDo, is this. Around 10 years ago we started working on implementing the new obstruction rules with USA hockey. When someone found out where i was from they asked "what happened to you guys", you were our American MoDo. We were nicknamed the Alaskan pipeline.

It's all about what team you can get your 6 year old on. And if he's not in the top 10% by age 8, they fall off the map.

Respecttheblue
02-14-2016, 03:56 PM
Actually a pretty good read, what he's describing sounds like what I grew up with here before minor hockey was pretty much ruined by forcing AAA on rural areas.

It's all about what team you can get your 6 year old on. And if he's not in the top 10% by age 8, they fall off the map.

Dadgum. Well that is sad to hear.