PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk About How Good the Washington Capitals Are

Morphinity
02-11-2016, 03:28 PM
I'll stop gushing over this team in other threads.

They're currently sitting at 39-9-4 with 82 points. They are first in G/GP with 3.29 and second in GA/GP with 2.25. They're first in PP% at 24% and fourth in PK% at 84%.

Holtby, at 34-5-3, is also on pace to break Brodeur's single season wins record of 48 wins with 30 games left (he only needs 14 more) and has a .928 SV% with a 2.08GAA.

The only thing I can see them maybe needing to do for a Cup run is shore up the third pairing D. But even then, that's probably not necessary.

They're loaded up front. They are loaded on D. They're well-coached. What can stop them?

Dunny
02-11-2016, 03:33 PM
If anyone can it's their recent historical foil: The New York Rangers.

Morphinity
02-11-2016, 03:38 PM
The Capitals owned the Rangers for years before the past few years. This year I could see the tides turning back to that considering how the Rangers are playing.

Phil in Absentia
02-11-2016, 03:40 PM
I'll stop gushing over this team in other threads.

They're currently sitting at 39-9-4 with 82 points. They are first in G/GP with 3.29 and second in GA/GP with 2.25. They're first in PP% at 24% and fourth in PK% at 84%.

Holtby, at 34-5-3, is also on pace to break Brodeur's single season wins record of 48 wins with 30 games left (he only needs 14 more) and has a .928 SV% with a 2.08GAA.

The only thing I can see them maybe needing to do for a Cup run is shore up the third pairing D. But even then, that's probably not necessary.

They're loaded up front. They are loaded on D. They're well-coached. What can stop them?

Good question. On paper? Not much. They're a bull in a china shop that is the Eastern Conference.

This team is fucking good. Aruably the best balanced team in the league from top to bottom.

Mike
02-11-2016, 03:41 PM
The Caps will find a way to blow it. My bet is that they don't make the cup final.

Morphinity
02-11-2016, 03:43 PM
Good question. On paper? Not much. They're a bull in a china shop that is the Eastern Conference.

This team is fucking good. Aruably the best balanced team in the league from top to bottom.

They're the perfect team. They can win in pretty much any way. Track meet, tight game, special teams contest, you name it.

Phil in Absentia
02-11-2016, 03:52 PM
They're the perfect team. They can win in pretty much any way. Track meet, tight game, special teams contest, you name it.

Yeah, I agree. Reminds me of some of the 90's Red Wings teams.

Parsley
02-11-2016, 03:54 PM
Caps/Isles in the first round could spell upset.

Wait....is that even possible? I think it is if the Isles are a wildcard?
That was a hell of series last spring.

Morphinity
02-11-2016, 03:57 PM
Caps/Isles in the first round could spell upset.

Wait....is that even possible? I think it is if the Isles are a wildcard?
That was a hell of series last spring.

Yeah, any team can be in the last wild card. The Caps have pretty much locked up the top seed already, so they play whoever is in the last wild card spot.

Johnnydollaz18
02-11-2016, 04:15 PM
They'll fold over, again. Now, this team is much different than Caps' teams of the past and i'm doing this out of pure despise for this team, though, I love Ovie. I just have a feeling they're going to run into a hot team and/or goaltender in the playoffs and collapse.

Future
02-11-2016, 04:17 PM
They also have been pretty much injury free (Carlson missed like 12 games) and that will eventually bite them. And every team hits peaks and valleys. You could have written this same post about the Stars 6 weeks ago. I can't imagine a team playing an entire season, including playoffs, without ever slumping.

Parsley
02-11-2016, 04:25 PM
Yeah, any team can be in the last wild card. The Caps have pretty much locked up the top seed already, so they play whoever is in the last wild card spot.

Cool. I'd like to see that match up since it was so close last year.

Caps/Isles
Rangers/Pens

|
v

Rangers/Isles

|
v

Rangers/Panthers

|
v

Rangers/Anyone

RANGERS WIN THE CUP!! :pbjtime:

Morphinity
02-11-2016, 04:34 PM
They also have been pretty much injury free (Carlson missed like 12 games) and that will eventually bite them. And every team hits peaks and valleys. You could have written this same post about the Stars 6 weeks ago. I can't imagine a team playing an entire season, including playoffs, without ever slumping.

I guess we'll see, but it'd take an extraordinary slump. They fire on all cylinders on a nightly basis. If there's ever a cylinder that doesn't fire, another picks up the slack.

Valriera
02-11-2016, 05:47 PM
LA can stop them I think, but there's no doubt in my mind that this team is going to the SCF barring some choke.

Dunny
02-11-2016, 05:57 PM
The reality is a Caps/Rangers matchup would signal the end of the Rangers as we know them but I like a challenge.

Morphinity
02-11-2016, 06:03 PM
Well it would certainly put a huge obstacle in the way of the Rangers window. If the goal is to win now, there's a massive obstacle standing in the way in their own division.

CreaseCrusader91
02-11-2016, 06:04 PM
They should be careful with Holtby. At some point they should rest him for playoffs. If he gets close enough to record have hard time seeing him get shutdown. I'd give him 15 of the 30 remaining.

Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc
02-11-2016, 06:07 PM
They have a fantastic team, but this league is so close and competitive that I think a lot of team CAN beat them. Last year we were 2 min away from losing to them in game 5, instead we went on to the ECF. Isles, Pens, Tampa, Boston, Rangers(Lundqvist) can all stop them. And if they do make the SCF, I would say they are 50-50 against Chiago or LA.

I think it all comes down to the hottest team and goaltender atm.

Keirik
02-11-2016, 08:49 PM
Until they beat this team the obstacle is us, not them.

Dunny
02-11-2016, 08:57 PM
That's the spirit

sg3
02-12-2016, 06:13 AM
They will win the PC and then choke it away as usual when it matters

And

BTW

Ovie SUCKS

LGR