PDA

View Full Version : Confirmed: Dion Phaneuf Traded to Senators in Nine-Player Deal

Phil in Absentia
02-09-2016, 11:11 AM
:tweet: @Media_Sens: TRADE: The #Sens acquire defenceman Dion Phaneuf from Toronto in nine-player trade

:tweet: @Senators: #Sens get Phaneuf, Frattin, Bailey, Rupert and Donaghey in exchange for Cowen, Greening, Michalek, Lindberg and 2nd-rounder in 2017.

Lt. Dan
02-09-2016, 11:14 AM
Mind blown! Didn't he have a NTC or something?

Shanahammer
02-09-2016, 11:14 AM
Wow that went 0-60 real fast.

BlairBettsBlocksEverything
02-09-2016, 11:15 AM
what?

Morphinity
02-09-2016, 11:15 AM
I'm not sure I get this, really.

Dunny
02-09-2016, 11:16 AM
WTF are you doing Bryan?

Blue Heaven
02-09-2016, 11:16 AM
:eek:

Cash or Czech?
02-09-2016, 11:18 AM
@Real_ESPNLeBrun

There is ZERO salary retained in the Phaneuf blockbuster trade. Straight hockey deal as per source.

NYR2711
02-09-2016, 11:19 AM
Thats a strange trade for both sides.

Cash or Czech?
02-09-2016, 11:22 AM
Ottawa got away from some bad contracts in Greening and Cowen. Moving Michalek as well makes the salaries balance out for the most part. They compounded all that useless salary into one decent player in Phaneuf.

My thoughts are Toronto tries to trade these guys for additional rebuilding parts over the next two years.

Morphinity
02-09-2016, 11:22 AM
Great trade for the Leafs since they're rebuilding for like three years and they get rid of Phaneuf's stupid contract. The Leafs will probably try to move some of those players at the deadline too since a lot of them expire at the end of this year.

Odd trade for the Senators. Not sure if Phaneuf really helps them that much. Maybe he does. Idk.

Blue Heaven
02-09-2016, 11:23 AM
Freeing up money for Stamkos

Future
02-09-2016, 11:25 AM
Ottawa got away from some bad contracts in Greening and Cowen. Moving Michalek as well makes the salaries balance out for the most part. They compounded all that useless salary into one decent player in Phaneuf.

My thoughts are Toronto tries to trade these guys for additional rebuilding parts over the next two years.

I guess so...but why wouldn't Ottawa just trade these guys for parts? It's not like they're going anywhere.

Cash or Czech?
02-09-2016, 11:35 AM
I guess so...but why wouldn't Ottawa just trade these guys for parts? It's not like they're going anywhere.

Because their defense is bad. Now a top-3 of Karlsson, Phaneuf and Ceci. That's way better than Karlsson, Ceci and Methot.

Cash or Czech?
02-09-2016, 11:35 AM
Between this and Buff, the market for Yandle is going to be sky high.

Vodka Drunkenski
02-09-2016, 11:39 AM
Shit just got serious

Vodka Drunkenski
02-09-2016, 11:39 AM
Makes me wonder if we can move Girardi after all

Dunny
02-09-2016, 11:42 AM
What a deal for the Leafs. Probably a better team now and certainly after next year. Really fucking stunningly stupid move by the Senators.

Mistercosmic
02-09-2016, 11:44 AM
Don't think that Cowen, Michalek and Greening have any future in Toronto. They'll be traded again sooner or later. So basically the Maple Leafs moved their captain for a swedish prospect and future rebuilding parts (draft picks, other prospects) just to get rid of his crazy contract.

The Sens have the cap space to bring in an overpaid Phaneuf these days, but this risky move could bite them in the future when they've to resign their talented RFAs over the next two years (Zibanejad, Ceci, Hoffmann, Chiasson, Lazar, Pageau, Prince, Wiercioch).

Lt. Dan
02-09-2016, 11:47 AM

Oh man, just the possibility gets me excited.

ThirtyONE
02-09-2016, 11:51 AM
If we don't kill it on a Yandle deal I'm going to be very upset.

Morphinity
02-09-2016, 11:53 AM

Of course we can, every contract is moveable - the Clarkson deal and now this one showed that. Only if he waives his NTC though. That's really the rub and always has been .

Future
02-09-2016, 11:57 AM
Because their defense is bad. Now a top-3 of Karlsson, Phaneuf and Ceci. That's way better than Karlsson, Ceci and Methot.
True. They'll be more balanced I guess...this would put them firmly into the win-now group in the NHL. They'll probably be buying at the deadline now.

Morphinity
02-09-2016, 11:58 AM
Win now? Not this year. Maybe next year.

I'm not convinced about Ottawa though.

Phil in Absentia
02-09-2016, 12:02 PM
Mind blown! Didn't he have a NTC or something?

Yes, but didn't need to waive it. Ottawa was one of his OK'd teams from what I've read.

Phil in Absentia
02-09-2016, 12:03 PM
I'm not sure I get this, really.

Garrison is speculating the Leafs will buy out both Cowen and Michálek's deal at the end of this season, opening up all the cap they need to take a run at Stamkos.

Keirik
02-09-2016, 12:05 PM
If Stamkos isn't a leaf next year I will be shocked. Considering the state of teams, it sure would be nice to take Steven out of Tampa too.

NYR2711
02-09-2016, 12:13 PM

The only issue to hold up any Girard move is Girard blocking it. I think if the Rangers dangled him out there, there wouldn't be any shortage of teams looking to grab him. His NMC is what hurts any deal this year for him.

Lt. Dan
02-09-2016, 12:14 PM
Girardi or Staal. Idgaf which one just move one at least.

Blue Heaven
02-09-2016, 12:40 PM
If Stamkos isn't a leaf next year I will be shocked. Considering the state of teams, it sure would be nice to take Steven out of Tampa too.

and Auston Matthews

Vodka Drunkenski
02-09-2016, 01:05 PM
Girardi or Staal. Idgaf which one just move one at least.

Has to be Staal, need to keep the righty

Phil in Absentia
02-09-2016, 01:12 PM

Not necessarily. Yandle walks, so McD, Staal, Skjei still on left. Boyle walks too. G, Klein, McIlrath on the right next year. Either can go. I just hope it's not to keep Yandle.

Lt. Dan
02-09-2016, 01:12 PM

Fine with me. I just hope Gorton gets it done. It can't be easy operating so close to the cap. Especially now that he's got RFAs to sign.

Honestly I'm not calling for some some huge overhaul. But it would be nice to see some solid moves made that don't pin the team against the cap and allow some wiggle room if needed.

I've only briefly looked at the numbers and contracts for this team but it looks one more NTC from a complete disaster. We are seeing teams unload contracts that many looked as untradable. It can be done. Would like to see our new GM fix the mess.

Phil in Absentia
02-09-2016, 01:14 PM
There is no such thing as "untradeable". Clarkson, Lecavalier, Phaneuf, Scuderi all prove it. I'm sure many more will follow. G or Staal could be options among them.

Blue Heaven
02-09-2016, 01:17 PM
There is no such thing as "untradeable". Clarkson, Lecavalier, Phaneuf, Scuderi all prove it. I'm sure many more will follow. G or Staal could be options among them.

GOMEZ!!!!!

Phil in Absentia
02-09-2016, 01:23 PM
GOMEZ!!!!!

Yup. He's another example.

All it takes is the right circumstances, but anyone can be moved.

torontonyr
02-09-2016, 01:24 PM

I'll also say this, as much as G would like to stay here due to legacy, roots, and comfort - he's also a great guy and if a deal came up that was *resonable* for him and his family, I can see him taking it on that giant chin.

Kevin
02-09-2016, 01:28 PM
I kind of like this trade for Ottawa. I think Phaneuf will definitely help that defense...and he's not bad offensively either. Nice luxury to have Karlsson and Phaneuf lugging 50 minutes a game for you on the right side.

Phil in Absentia
02-09-2016, 01:30 PM
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xlt1/v/t1.0-9/12729286_10154073087906055_1386893074878466975_n.j pg?oh=0c984fc70795730d3e9f0ff9befc157b&oe=5768DA0A

:rofl:

Valriera
02-09-2016, 01:48 PM
Bahahaha

G1000
02-09-2016, 02:25 PM
I'm just seeing Karlsson feeding Phaneuf. Over and over and over.

Keirik
02-09-2016, 02:27 PM
and Auston Matthews

Tell that kind of thinkin to the Sabres lol

Keirik
02-09-2016, 02:28 PM
I'm just seeing Karlsson feeding Phaneuf. Over and over and over.

Erik does cook a mean Burrito i hear.

Blue Heaven
02-09-2016, 02:56 PM
:tweet: @imseanavery Finally me and @brendanshanahan can be friends again

LOL!

SaveByRichter35
02-09-2016, 04:44 PM
Not necessarily. Yandle walks, so McD, Staal, Skjei still on left. Boyle walks too. G, Klein, McIlrath on the right next year. Either can go. I just hope it's not to keep Yandle.

I know none of us can really say for sure, but, I wonder if Staal would allow a trade to Carolina to play with his brothers. I know nothing about their cap situation nor their farm system and off the top of my head I can't think of anyone on their roster that would interest us other than Faulk and I don't see them moving him for Marc. Maybe just picks or some smaller pieces that we can then flip in another deal. Or maybe Girardi to Tampa to play with Cally and Boyle again. Nash, Girardi, ____(I honestly don't wanna lose Kreider nor Hayes but you gotta do what you gotta do), and a late round pick for Stamkos and Drouin.

edit - sorry, this probably belongs in the deadline thread so not to derail this thread about a specific transaction but it was an idea I had based off of posts I read in this thread.

Pete
02-09-2016, 05:26 PM
This Staal to Carolina stuff has been talked about for years.

Not everyone wants to play with their brother.... On a bad team....

SaveByRichter35
02-09-2016, 05:39 PM
I know its been talked about forever but they were never both on the same team for years prior. I am just trying to make myself happy with ideas to dump him/them...

Morphinity
02-10-2016, 06:32 PM
:tweet: @Media_Sens
The #Sens today loaned forward Matt Frattin to the American Hockey League's Toronto Marlies.

--

I didn't even know you could do that.

Phil in Absentia
02-10-2016, 08:32 PM
That's awesome for Frattin. Gives him a legit shot to win the Calder Cup with the AHL-best Marlies.

Pete
02-11-2016, 05:34 AM
I'm sure he'd rather be in the NHL...

Phil in Absentia
02-11-2016, 07:50 AM
I'm sure he'd rather be in the NHL...

With the Leafs or Sens? Doubtful.

He's on a one way deal. Gets paid the same regardless.

Dunny
02-11-2016, 09:17 AM
Nobody wants to ride the busses in the AHL, but you'd probably rather be in Toronto than Binghampton.

Morphinity
02-11-2016, 09:22 AM
He couldn't crack the Leafs lineup so he's definitely not an NHL'er.

Dunny
02-11-2016, 09:28 AM
He's as much of an NHL'er as Greening, which is to say, he isn't. Frattin was useful for the Leafs though, got them Bernier.

Phil in Absentia
02-11-2016, 09:35 AM
Nobody wants to ride the busses in the AHL, but you'd probably rather be in Toronto than Binghampton.

I guess, but it boils down to "do you want to win, or do you want to sleep in nice hotels and ride a plane?"

In the AHL, he has a legit shot to win. In the NHL, he flies in luxury with a team pretty much guarnateed to lose every night.

Future
02-11-2016, 11:55 AM
I guess, but it boils down to "do you want to win, or do you want to sleep in nice hotels and ride a plane?"

In the AHL, he has a legit shot to win. In the NHL, he flies in luxury with a team pretty much guarnateed to lose every night.
I'd have to guess that 99.9999999% of players would say NHL without hesitation.

Would you rather go to the NCAA basketball tournament and get the shit kicked out of you by UNC, or go to the NIT and murder Iona? Everybody is taking the former.

Phil in Absentia
02-11-2016, 12:25 PM
I'd have to guess that 99.9999999% of players would say NHL without hesitation.

Would you rather go to the NCAA basketball tournament and get the shit kicked out of you by UNC, or go to the NIT and murder Iona? Everybody is taking the former.

That analogy is completley lost on me, but I still maintain what I said — do you want to win, or do you want to sleep in nice hotels and fly in a plane/jet?

Future
02-11-2016, 01:55 PM
That analogy is completley lost on me, but I still maintain what I said — do you want to win, or do you want to sleep in nice hotels and fly in a plane/jet?
Play at the highest level, the jet and hotels are a perk but have nothing to do with it. Nobody ever sets out in their career and says "man, I'd love to win the Calder Cup!" Nobody gives a shit about winning in the A.

For the record, the NIT is the basketball tourney for teams who don't make the big one. It's a consolation prize.

Cash or Czech?
02-11-2016, 02:46 PM
Play at the highest level, the jet and hotels are a perk but have nothing to do with it. Nobody ever sets out in their career and says "man, I'd love to win the Calder Cup!" Nobody gives a shit about winning in the A. For the record, the NIT is the basketball tourney for teams who don't make the big one. It's a consolation prize.

If I'm getting paid the same, I'd rather play 20 minutes a night and win. That's what they're paid to do.

Dunny
02-11-2016, 02:48 PM
I would have to think Frattin would be dying for a chance at the NHL level. He needs a contract next year. None of these guys want to play in the AHL, you just have to talk to a few AHL vets to figure that out.

Future
02-11-2016, 03:02 PM
If I'm getting paid the same, I'd rather play 20 minutes a night and win. That's what they're paid to do.
They're paid with the hopes that they can be an addition to the NHL roster, not to win a Calder.

That's just a line of thinking I guess I don't understand. You could go undefeated in the AHL and be in 31st place in the bigs.

Pete
02-11-2016, 03:06 PM
I would have to think Frattin would be dying for a chance at the NHL level. He needs a contract next year. None of these guys want to play in the AHL, you just have to talk to a few AHL vets to figure that out.
This.

They want to play at the highest level possible. No one brags about winning games in the instructional league.

Phil in Absentia
02-11-2016, 03:21 PM

But winning the Calder Cup and being a contributing factor on the team the entire season could help that. Aruably more than playing fourth line for the Losing Leafs, where he'll score like two goals and play 8:00 a night for the rest of the season.

Pete
02-11-2016, 04:04 PM
But winning the Calder Cup and being a contributing factor on the team the entire season could help that. Aruably more than playing fourth line for the Losing Leafs, where he'll score like two goals and play 8:00 a night for the rest of the season.
But you're in the show, and the amenities are quite different.

Morphinity
02-11-2016, 04:07 PM
I'm confused. He was on the Marlies all season, got traded along with Phaneuf to Ottawa, and was likely going to Binghamton. They gave him some sort of consideration and loaned him back to the Marlies for what I would assume to be the rest of the season.

What's this talk of him playing in the NHL vs. the AHL? If he couldn't crack the pitiful Leafs lineup he was never going to play for the Senators.

Phil in Absentia
02-11-2016, 04:18 PM

No, I get that. I've said a few times now, you ride in jets/planes and stay in four star hotels, etc. I get it.

But his actual NHL opportunities are going to be slim. He'd be playing for the worst team in the league, likely in their bottom-6, if not their fourth line, where he's not likey to impress a new boss for next season.

Phil in Absentia
02-11-2016, 04:19 PM

No, I get that. I've said a few times now, you ride in jets/planes and stay in four star hotels, etc. I get it.

But his actual NHL opportunities are going to be slim. Slimmer now that he's with the Sens, no? At least with the Marlies he'll get consistent playing time and might be able to impress a new boss next season.