PDA

View Full Version : Players' Tribune: Johnny Gadreau: Here's Johnny

Morphinity
02-03-2016, 10:40 AM
http://www.theplayerstribune.com/johnny-gaudreau-hockey-calgary-flames/

My father grew up in Vermont, where he was raised on a dairy farm. He didnít have much money growing up, but he did have a pair of skates. So for fun, he would glide on the ponds around the farm during the winter, stick-handling around rocks and branches. He didnít have the grades for D-1, but he did play Division-III hockey at Norwich University. Had a great career there, ended up making the schoolís Hall of Fame in hockey as well as soccer.

After that, he moved to New Jersey, about 20 minutes outside of Philly, and built an ice rink. Itís two large sheets of ice, with bleachers to hold a few hundred folks and a snack bar. Whenever you walk in, youíre hit with that smell of perfectly brisk ice with just a faint hint of smelly gear. Itís Ö heaven.

So yeah, I was going to be a hockey player.

As a kid I had the ice available to me whenever I wanted. I definitely abused that privilege. During my formative years, I probably spent more time in skates than I did shoes. I had 10 or 15 close buddies, and weíd spend every possible hour we could playing shinny. Iíve played on plenty of teams and been to more practices than I can remember, but I learned how to play the game during those hours upon hours when I was laughing and goofing around on the ice. When youíre among friends, you donít worry about screwing up when youíre trying out moves. But I think once you get those reps in and arenít self-conscious about screwing up, the difficult parts of the game become second nature. The flow of things seems natural. And you get to figure out on your own what you love about hockey.

Awesome story of Johnny Gaudreau's growth into the game - no pun intended. Lucky fucker having all that ice time.

phillybô
02-03-2016, 11:00 AM
The first thing is that you have to get a thick skin. I’ve heard my fair share of chirps throughout the years. Different things about my size, said in so many ways … including plenty of stuff I’m not so comfortable repeating here. Get used to it, because it’ll come. Everyone handles it differently, but I’ve never been a big chirper myself because the sound of the goal horn is loud enough.

oooooffff.
well worded, johnny.

Pete
02-04-2016, 09:01 AM
Sounds like a douche.