PDA

View Full Version : NHL.tv Issues

Mistercosmic
02-03-2016, 06:30 AM
:banghead:

I’m a long-term subscriber of NHL Gamecenter Live from Germany and haven't had one single problem in many years with not one issue streaming to my desktop PC using firefox until today. Now I can’t get the highly praised NHL.tv to work at all, because I’m unable to even login! After entering the email address and my password correctly there appears a forever spinning loading wheel. This was the first time all season I haven't been able to watch the Rangers. It’s very annoying and frustrating to see that they make such a disastrous update midway during the season with obviously many issues remaining and I'm afraid it will take more than just one day to fix the main problems :(

Parsley
02-03-2016, 07:25 AM
I commented on this in other threads last night. The rollout yesterday failed miserably. Games weren't streaming, ones that did were choppy as hell. A complete mess.

I noticed that the early games 7pm started off ok, but as the night went on and more than 10 games were in play things basically went downhill.

They have major issues to address whether they want to admit it or not. I'll surely cancel if things aren't smoothed out after 3-4 years of smooth service.

Parsley
02-03-2016, 07:31 AM
NHL PR got slammed on Twitter

https://mobile.twitter.com/PR_NHL

Rolling this out mid-season was asking for trouble.

torontonyr
02-03-2016, 07:46 AM
- Games were missing
- UI is confusing
- Games were choppy, even with 200+ mbps/down
+ Fullscreen 16:9 on PC

Parsley
02-03-2016, 08:01 AM
It was a mess. The good thing was watching the Rangers blow their lead last night was nearly impossible. Sadly, a perfectly fine service was ruined (atleast temporarily) by this "upgrade". Hopefully there is a quick resolution. I've been very happy with NHL gamecenter over the past few years.

phillyb™
02-03-2016, 08:33 AM
shit happens.
it was indeed an awful idea to roll out mid-season, but even testing and testing and testing and testing in a development environment still can't 100% elude you from errors in production.

Parsley
02-03-2016, 08:40 AM
shit happens.
it was indeed an awful idea to roll out mid-season, but even testing and testing and testing and testing in a development environment still can't 100% elude you from errors in production.

Understandable, but they puffed their chests prior to the roll out and then even ignored the issues initially last night (saying it was subscribers issues on their ends) but that was BS. Own up to the failure out the gate. Don't tell me my internet is slow, etc.

I'm sure it will be fixed but it still sucks that there was nothing wrong with what they had. In the end those unhappy can drop the service at the end of season.

Pete
02-03-2016, 08:45 AM
Understandable, but they puffed their chests prior to the roll out and then even ignored the issues initially last night (saying it was subscribers issues on their ends) but that was BS. Own up to the failure out the gate. Don't tell me my internet is slow, etc.

I'm sure it will be fixed but it still sucks that there was nothing wrong with what they had. In the end those unhappy can drop the service at the end of season.
This is something that you roll out over the summer so people can get used to a new UI, allow them to access past games, and test live during preseason.

Parsley
02-03-2016, 09:03 AM
This is something that you roll out over the summer so people can get used to a new UI, allow them to access past games, and test live during preseason.

Agreed. When I got the email about the upcoming change after the allstar break I was basically was like....:disappointed:

I'm not sure what the rush was but I heard (read) online that something similar is going to be done with MLB live? I'm not sure if there is any truth to that, if so us NHL fans may have been guinea pigs. Again, I had nothing but positive things to say about NHL Gamecenter. It has been great for me to follow the Rangers and the league in general. Well worth the $1.50-$1.75 per/game...82-game schedule the cost comes out to.

Morphinity
02-03-2016, 09:24 AM

Except subscriptions for GameCenter last over the course of the season, not year 'round. I also don't believe they stream preseason games on GameCenter - except for a select few.

If they had to do it in the middle of the season, this should have been live for the ASG and it should have been an open beta test for everyone to partake in.

Mistercosmic
02-03-2016, 09:25 AM
I gained access to the stream only once, for three seconds with the spinning wheel on a black background. Then I was thrown back to the "Sign in"-page. I've tried everything, but I'm still unable to login to NHL.tv. This really sucks and I can't understand why they immediately switched off a proven service which worked nearly perfectly before the new platform is actually working well for everyone.

Morphinity
02-03-2016, 09:25 AM
Agreed. When I got the email about the upcoming change after the allstar break I was basically was like....:disappointed:

I'm not sure what the rush was but I heard (read) online that something similar is going to be done with MLB live? I'm not sure if there is any truth to that, if so us NHL fans may have been guinea pigs. Again, I had nothing but positive things to say about NHL Gamecenter. It has been great for me to follow the Rangers and the league in general. Well worth the $1.50-$1.75 per/game...82-game schedule the cost comes out to.

But... the blackouts. They're terrible. Last season, nearly 20 Rangers games were blacked out for me because of local (Washington DC) and national (NBC/SN) TV restrictions. Also the entire playoffs after the first round is blacked out.

They've now blocked VPNs (according to BBBE) so you can't even get around it.

phillyb™
02-03-2016, 09:33 AM
I gained access to the stream only once, for three seconds with the spinning wheel on a black background. Then I was thrown back to the "Sign in"-page. I've tried everything, but I'm still unable to login to NHL.tv. This really sucks and I can't understand why they immediately switched off a proven service which worked nearly perfectly before the new platform is actually working well for everyone.

did you try doing some simple shit on your end?
clear cache.
try a different browser.
update browser.

i'm not saying that what you're experiencing doesn't suck. i just want to know if you've done anything about it except complain.

torontonyr
02-03-2016, 09:58 AM
I'll say this, long-term, I think NHL.tv will be a big improvement. Gamecenter was one of the most awful services I've ever used in the realm of streaming.

I have 150mbps+ down, yet can't hold a solid resolution on PS4/PS3 - it's a joke.

Mistercosmic
02-03-2016, 10:58 AM
did you try doing some simple shit on your end?
clear cache.
try a different browser.
update browser.

i'm not saying that what you're experiencing doesn't suck. i just want to know if you've done anything about it except complain.

Tried everything you've mentioned and even more - - - without success.

phillyb™
02-03-2016, 11:01 AM
yeah no doubt.
i'd be livid too.

Parsley
02-03-2016, 11:38 AM
But... the blackouts. They're terrible. Last season, nearly 20 Rangers games were blacked out for me because of local (Washington DC) and national (NBC/SN) TV restrictions. Also the entire playoffs after the first round is blacked out.

They've now blocked VPNs (according to BBBE) so you can't even get around it.

I hear ya. I've learned to live with blackouts. The 5-6 philly games I listen to on mute through Comcast Philly. Nbc game blackouts same thing. I can handle those announcers better. As long as I can see all 82 games a season with some form of access (unlike last night) I'm happy.

Basically for the price of going to one game at MSG with a fair/good seat you can get the whole season online. That's a win.

Speaking of MSG tickets I can't believe what they are asking for a random Game (I was looking at Sabres/Rangers in April). Crazy.

Parsley
02-03-2016, 11:40 AM
I'll say this, long-term, I think NHL.tv will be a big improvement. Gamecenter was one of the most awful services I've ever used in the realm of streaming.

I have 150mbps+ down, yet can't hold a solid resolution on PS4/PS3 - it's a joke.

Hopefully the end result is positive. I basically access via iPhone and iPad and I rarely had any issues with clarity in the past. Hopefully all modes of viewing will end up crisp and smooth.

Morphinity
02-03-2016, 11:43 AM
I hear ya. I've learned to live with blackouts. The 5-6 philly games I listen to on mute through Comcast Philly. Nbc game blackouts same thing. I can handle those announcers better. As long as I can see all 82 games a season with some form of access (unlike last night) I'm happy.

Ah. I don't have cable or anything, so if a game was blacked out, I was SOL. It was terrible.

I could handle missing a few regular season games, but 20 games was extreme. Then not being able to watch the playoffs past the first round just made it worse (won't be a problem this year :rofl:).

phillyb™
02-03-2016, 11:47 AM
Ah. I don't have cable or anything, so if a game was blacked out, I was SOL. It was terrible.

I could handle missing a few regular season games, but 20 games was extreme. Then not being able to watch the playoffs past the first round just made it worse (won't be a problem this year :rofl:).

ha! awful.
i've been contemplating gamecenter for a few months now. my biggest reservation was playoffs...
do they stream all of the playoff games?
are they available to watch after the fact?
i don't have cable either, so i'd be SOL come playoff time and simply go back to illegally streaming all of the content.

Morphinity
02-03-2016, 11:49 AM
ha! awful.
i've been contemplating gamecenter for a few months now. my biggest reservation was playoffs...
do they stream all of the playoff games?
are they available to watch after the fact?
i don't have cable either, so i'd be SOL come playoff time and simply go back to illegally streaming all of the content.

I'm not sure if things changed, but like I said, after the first round, games are exclusively on NBC and NBCSN, so you can't watch those on Gamecenter. You can watch them if you're in Europe, but they fixed the VPN loophole for now. Games are available for re-watch 48 hours after the fact, so there's absolutely no point in the playoffs.

If I remember correctly, even some games in the first round are blacked out if they're on NBC or NBCSN exclusively (usually 1 or 2 games in the first round are.)

phillyb™
02-03-2016, 11:50 AM
fuck everything you just said.
i'll take my chances.

Parsley
02-03-2016, 11:59 AM

Yeah, that'd suck not being able to access it via cable. As for the playoffs........PLAYOFFS!?! :curse:

Pete
02-04-2016, 09:02 AM
Except subscriptions for GameCenter last over the course of the season, not year 'round. I also don't believe they stream preseason games on GameCenter - except for a select few.

If they had to do it in the middle of the season, this should have been live for the ASG and it should have been an open beta test for everyone to partake in.
It would have been very easy to extend subscriptions and stream more preseason games.

BlairBettsBlocksEverything
02-04-2016, 09:37 AM
According to people on Reddit, their VPN's worked fine. Maybe it's just an issue with the roll out going so poorly

But I will say, the mobile app is terrible. They layout for live scores makes no sense. I really like the app before. IDK why they felt the need to change it

Parsley
02-04-2016, 09:52 AM
I was too scared to even check on the few games last night. Lol. I think there were only 3-4 games, I'm hoping things ran smoother. I did check out the archived games from Tuesday and what a mess the new layout is on the iPhone/iPad. It's a shame.

phillyb™
02-04-2016, 10:41 AM
According to people on Reddit, their VPN's worked fine. Maybe it's just an issue with the roll out going so poorly

But I will say, the mobile app is terrible. They layout for live scores makes no sense. I really like the app before. IDK why they felt the need to change it

i don't have an issue with the scores on the app just yet. i'm not thrilled with the way the site handles the scores and how to watch the highlights. i hate it.
BUT the highlights videos are much better now, i will give them that.

Mistercosmic
02-04-2016, 12:03 PM
Day 2, and NHL.tv still doesn't work for me :banghead: sometimes i gain access to the stream for a few seconds with the damned spinning wheel on a black background just to be thrown back to the "Sign in"-page. Most of the time the loading-wheel turns forever after signing up.

I've tried all possible solutions that normally could help in such cases:
Clear cache and all cookies --> no success
Delete cookies-file in profile folder --> no success
Update browser (Firefox) --> no success
Cleanup browser --> no success
Different Browser (Explorer) --> no success
Update all plugins (Flashplayer, Java) --> no success
Deactivate addons (Addblocker) --> no success

The so-called "technical support" is a bad joke: "Dear NHL Customer, Thank you for contacting NHL.TV. We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced while streaming last night's live NHL.TV feed. We welcome you to attempt to login tonight when games go live at 7pm EST as we continue to troubleshoot internally. Thank you for your patronage and patience."

So I payed my money just to become part of a ridicilous beta-test for baseball fans midway during the season and will miss more games of the Rangers. Great!

phillyb™
02-04-2016, 12:18 PM
that fucking sucks. you can't be the only one experiencing these issues...
did you specifically ask that?

Mistercosmic
02-04-2016, 01:42 PM

I sent a mail held in a neutral tone to the support with all details about the issue and my computer system and asked for possible solutions. You can read their "helpful" answer above. Now I'll send them the same mail every day as long as the issue is not fixed.

Parsley
02-04-2016, 02:21 PM

Nah, it's plenty of people. Lots of games tonight including the Rangers. I'll see how it goes firsthand. Expecting more disappointment.

CreaseCrusader91
02-04-2016, 02:46 PM
Day 2, and NHL.tv still doesn't work for me :banghead: sometimes i gain access to the stream for a few seconds with the damned spinning wheel on a black background just to be thrown back to the "Sign in"-page. Most of the time the loading-wheel turns forever after signing up.

I've tried all possible solutions that normally could help in such cases:
Clear cache and all cookies --> no success
Delete cookies-file in profile folder --> no success
Update browser (Firefox) --> no success
Cleanup browser --> no success
Different Browser (Explorer) --> no success
Update all plugins (Flashplayer, Java) --> no success
Deactivate addons (Addblocker) --> no success

The so-called "technical support" is a bad joke: "Dear NHL Customer, Thank you for contacting NHL.TV. We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced while streaming last night's live NHL.TV feed. We welcome you to attempt to login tonight when games go live at 7pm EST as we continue to troubleshoot internally. Thank you for your patronage and patience."

So I payed my money just to become part of a ridicilous beta-test for baseball fans midway during the season and will miss more games of the Rangers. Great!

Have you tried Chrome? In browser applets are constantly updating so it will give you your best bet. Also, do a speed test to see if that's an issue. Just a thought.

phillyb™
02-04-2016, 03:00 PM
if it's a flash site, i'd also recommend at least trying chrome. all of the browsers have different builds of flash from adobe, but chrome's is built-in and pretty solid.

Mistercosmic
02-04-2016, 03:37 PM
Thanks for your advices. I made a speed test and it can't be the issue. Now I'll try chrome and if that doesn't work "bin ich mit meinem Latein am Ende" (= I've run out of ideas).

Edit: Installed chrome and tried to watch NHL.tv, but just the same issue happened.

phillyb™
02-04-2016, 03:40 PM
yeah, good luck dude.
RESET ROUTER too?

Mistercosmic
02-04-2016, 03:49 PM
RESET ROUTER too?

Did it :( after all the things i tried in the last two days i cannot believe that this error could be my fault. Everything works fine except for NHL.tv

phillyb™
02-04-2016, 03:55 PM
yeah, i don't disagree with you. just making sure you're covering all bases for when they ask you this kind of shit.

Mistercosmic
02-05-2016, 07:59 AM
Day 3 and NHL.tv still refuses to work. But in the meantime something new has happened. Now, sometimes firefox freezes up with the loading wheel stagnant in front of the black screen of the stream (either before I'm able to login on the "Sign in"-page or after successful login) and I get the message: "Warning: unresponsive plugin. Shockwave flash may be busy or may have stopped working”. Clicking “Continue” to give the plugin more time to complete my request is not successful. The warning returns after some seconds or the "Sign in"-page appears with it never-ending turning wheel after entering e-mail address and password. When I click “Stop” I’m also thrown back to the “Sign in”-page.

I must mention that I use the most current version of Flash Player and that the plugin has no issues with any stream or video portals except for NHL.tv.

phillyb™
02-05-2016, 09:55 AM
did you send them your daily email yet? lol.
i'd be incredibly frustrated in your shoes.

Mistercosmic
02-05-2016, 11:23 AM
Yes, I've already sent my daily mail. But I don't expect any helpful replies. Unfortunately I'm not member of their main commercial target group (I'm from Europe and desktop PC user), so all I can do is wait and hope that I'll be able to see NHL games as soon as possible again :disappointed:

Dunny
02-05-2016, 11:28 AM
I didn't even re-new my subscription this year, I've had Center Ice for close to 10 years.

The quality of streams is such that I don't really find it necessary to pay anymore.

Morphinity
02-06-2016, 12:59 AM
Hockeystreams is down, rumor has it the NHL/MLBAM took it down.

FUCK.

CreaseCrusader91
02-06-2016, 01:08 AM
Hockeystreams is down, rumor has it the NHL/MLBAM took it down.

FUCK.

They are going to pedal a piss poor product at a higher cost. Fucking bastards.

Phil in Absentia
02-06-2016, 08:52 AM
Was to be expected. They knew about the site for a while now.

Dunny
02-06-2016, 11:53 AM
Hockeystreams did a lot of other stuff than only the NHL right?

Morphinity
02-06-2016, 12:18 PM
Yeah. AHL, CHL, international games and sometimes MMA lol

They also have all the odds and ends like Trade Centre during the deadline, the All Star Game, NHL Awards, and stuff like that.

So much value. Fucking sucks.

Lt. Dan
02-06-2016, 12:31 PM
Yeah. AHL, CHL, international games and sometimes MMA lol

They also have all the odds and ends like Trade Centre during the deadline, the All Star Game, NHL Awards, and stuff like that.

So much value. Fucking sucks.

I used them for a few months last year. Excellent feeds. Shame.

CreaseCrusader91
02-06-2016, 10:23 PM
HS was how I was able to watch prospects. I can get most of the NHL games albeit with ranging quality but AHL/CHL games are hard to find with watchable quality.

Mistercosmic
02-15-2016, 08:19 AM
The custom support of NHL.TV told me lately, I should make sure java is enabled and I should use chrome browser.

Everybody knows that Google’s Chrome since version 45 (September 2015) no longer supports NPAPI (technology required for the Java plugin), so it’s literally impossible to enable java on the chrome browser.

How is it possible that I still get such a piece of advice from experts? This is ridiculous and outrageous. Two weeks after the launch of NHL.TV I’m still unable to watch games and don’t get any helpful advices or serious apologies from the developers.

phillyb™
02-15-2016, 09:12 AM
hmmmm...
i don't remember if you answered this, but have you tried other computers?
and computers connected to other networks?
i wonder what would happen if you disable PPAPI flash from about:plugins and try to install java...i didn't even realize that PPAPI flash and java were mutually exclusive, are they?

i still can't believe i can't watch highlight videos on the mobile app.

Mistercosmic
02-15-2016, 09:49 AM
I once tried to sign up on a different device (iPad from my brother) connected to the same network as my computer and NHL.TV worked fine on it. So probably the problem is that NHL.TV doesn’t support the OS of my PC (Win7), although GCL supported it flawlessly during the first half of the season and the developers still claim that it’s compatible with NHL.TV.

richterforever
02-15-2016, 03:39 PM
So does anybody have any ideas now that Hockeystreams is no longer available? I live in upstate ny and am not able to watch ranger games if the fuckin' Sabres are on at the same time. Gamecenter and center ice wont work either because I'm not considered "out of market". HELP!!!

phillyb™
02-17-2016, 10:54 PM
I once tried to sign up on a different device (iPad from my brother) connected to the same network as my computer and NHL.TV worked fine on it. So probably the problem is that NHL.TV doesn’t support the OS of my PC (Win7), although GCL supported it flawlessly during the first half of the season and the developers still claim that it’s compatible with NHL.TV.

i'm just now realizing you're in germany, not the US. wonder if that has ANYTHING to do with your issues.
have you tried a proxy?

So does anybody have any ideas now that Hockeystreams is no longer available? I live in upstate ny and am not able to watch ranger games if the fuckin' Sabres are on at the same time. Gamecenter and center ice wont work either because I'm not considered "out of market". HELP!!!

i would never tell anyone to illegally stream a game, but if there were any means to an end, then maybe streaming illegally might be the best bet. never stream illegally.
illegal streams are bad mmmkay.

Mistercosmic
02-18-2016, 06:16 AM
i'm just now realizing you're in germany, not the US. wonder if that has ANYTHING to do with your issues.
have you tried a proxy?

Thanks for the advice. In the last two weeks I tried different US proxis, but just got stucked with the loading wheel in front of the media player. The only difference was that I wasn't thrown back to the login page all the time. So I guess their server does not support my OS correctly and maybe my home country is also a problem. This is the only reasonable explanation after countless hours of trying and readjusting without success. Of course they'll never admit the horrendous issues of the new player (officially server problems only happened on launch day), because they fear a storm of compensation demands.

ThirtyONE
03-03-2016, 02:49 PM
Separate issue all together, but living in CA, I depend on gamecenter (now NHL.tv) to watch the Rangers. How is it possible that they can deny you the game if it's on the NHL network? The Rangers have been on NHL network at least 6-8 times over the last month and their next 4 games are on the NHL network. The only reason I buy this shit is to watch the Rangers and I can't.

It's beyond frustrating.

Keirik
03-03-2016, 03:09 PM
So what the fuck did they do to this? I'm utterly pissed. So now you can't access the classic games, cant access any games from prior seasons either? How do you change the whole thing halfway through the year like this?