PDA

View Full Version : Rep Bet: 2015/2016 Calder Trophy

Puck Head
01-28-2016, 05:59 PM
Question
With approximately 60% of the 2015/2016 season being completed, who is your predicted winner of the Calder Trophy.

Correct guesses will receive reputation bonuses.
The more detail you go into your reasoning, the more bonus points awarded.

And the nominees are:

Chicago Blackhawks [LW] Artemi Panarin
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/nhl/players/full/3891952.png&w=350&h=254

GP G A PTS +/- PIM PPG SHG GWG S
53 17 29 46 7 18 2 0 4 14.0

Buffalo Sabres [C] Jack Eichel
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/nhl/players/full/3648002.png&w=350&h=254

50 16 18 34 -11 8 6 0 3 10.7

Detroit Red Wings [C] Dylan Larkin
http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/2dorbSdIabw9FGSU7lF3GA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3NfbGVnbztmaT1maWxsO2g9MjMwO3E9NzU7dz 0zNDU-/https://s.yimg.com/xe/i/us/sp/v/nhl_cutout/players_l/20151021/6381.png

48 15 18 33 24 28 1 0 5 11.8

Arizona Coyotes [LW] Max Domi
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/nhl/players/full/3042014.png&w=350&h=254

49 13 19 32 -1 19 3 0 0 14.9

##

Vote for who you think the winner will be.

Morphinity
01-28-2016, 07:12 PM
Panarin, fo sho. Yes, he's playing with the best player in the world, but he is doing some absolutely astounding things on his own merit too.

CreaseCrusader91
01-28-2016, 08:04 PM
I'm wondering if some will hold Panarin's age and prior experience against him if the season ends with a close scoring race. He's been amazing this year but I see Dylan Larkin as a dark horse. 19 years old, playing big role for DET and producing offensively while playing responsible hockey.

I think Panarin wins but don't sleep on Larkin.

Valriera
01-29-2016, 06:09 AM
I vote Larkin, because in my mind, the Wings are nowhere near relevant without him playing the he has been. Chicago could have myself standing next Patrick Kane or Jonathan Toews and still probably find a way to win, but the Wings are relying a lot on their young guys to step up and play well. We know what happens when those players don't do this: look at our team. The wings, on the other hand, are on the rise, and their window is opening because of guys like Larkin.

Panarin gets the award for best rookie hockey name. Man is that something.

Pete
01-29-2016, 07:07 AM
Larkin is a beast and playing with less talent around him than Panarin.

Johnnydollaz18
01-29-2016, 09:02 AM
I like Eichel here, though, I doubt he will top Panarin, points wise.

Phil in Absentia
01-29-2016, 10:29 AM
I'm going Larkin here too. For a lot of the reasons listed above. He's doing it alone. Panarin is amazing, but he's doing it with the best player in the league. I won't go so far as to say Jonathan Cheechoo, but that has to factor in here IMO.

Puck Head
01-29-2016, 01:02 PM
I'm going Larkin here too. For a lot of the reasons listed above. He's doing it alone. Panarin is amazing, but he's doing it with the best player in the league. I won't go so far as to say Jonathan Cheechoo, but that has to factor in here IMO.

Larkin spent the majority of season with Justin Abdelkader and Henrik Zetterberg. Pretty much the whole season.

CreaseCrusader91
01-29-2016, 01:24 PM
Larkin spent the majority of season with Justin Abdelkader and Henrik Zetterberg. Pretty much the whole season.

Larkin has been the engine of that line though. At 19 he's been very impressive.

G1000
01-29-2016, 01:53 PM
Panarin's on pace for the best rookie season since Malkin, I think.

Circumstance nonwithstanding, it's his to lose.

Faiz
01-31-2016, 12:18 AM
Panarin is a beast, and he has a laser for a shot, but went with Dylan Larkin. In my opinion he's more talented and doing it with less talent around him.

Red Wings are like Rangers when it comes to young, fresh players. They let them develop for a while in the minors before bringing them up. Them letting Larkin play his first year says something about the talent and potential they see in him, present and future. (Maybe their situation just required for a move like this, I'm not 100% sure), but he's the force on the line and has an IQ beyond his experience suggests.

But that is a great list of nominees for the Calder Trophy. This season's rookie class has been incredible. Max Domi has a crazy amount of talent, and as his play matures he will be amazing. For the most part it looks like it's not just a fluke season and it's their play putting the points on the board. (Exception of Panarin, for some reason I think his numbers are inflated due to others around him and that this season is an anomaly, but I haven't watched him play enough to say for certain and I can't predict the future. I sure as hell do hope this is what we can expect from him though).

Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc
02-04-2016, 06:41 AM
Crazy comeback from McDavid. He's just 17 points behind Domi and have averaged over 1 p/ppg in his 14 games.

Realistically tho, I guess Panarin wins, primarily because of the points Kane gives him.

Cash or Czech?
02-04-2016, 09:59 PM
Crazy comeback from McDavid. He's just 17 points behind Domi and have averaged over 1 p/ppg in his 14 games. Realistically tho, I guess Panarin wins, primarily because of the points Kane gives him.

McDavid is back with a vengeance. 5 points in 2 games back.

!br-avery!
02-08-2016, 02:14 PM
McDavid going to tear it up and win it playimg so many less games
Larkin would be my second choice,that kid is good

Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc
02-11-2016, 10:44 PM
McDavid will win it if he stays healthy. He's been playing like one of the best players in the league after the injury.

EDIT: He's unreal. 2 goals tonight, 5 points.

Dunny
02-11-2016, 11:45 PM
He's going to run out of time, if he could have came back 2 or 3 weeks earlier he might have caught them all.

Hope I'm wrong though.

24 points in 19 games. That'll play.

Puck Head
02-12-2016, 09:40 PM
He's going to run out of time, if he could have came back 2 or 3 weeks earlier he might have caught them all. Hope I'm wrong though. 24 points in 19 games. That'll play.

I think he has a strong chance
Depends on Edmonton's record the rest of the way also.

Karan
04-04-2016, 10:10 PM
McDavid absolutely should win this. The guy is by far the outstanding rookie of the year which is the essence of the award. It's not an Art Ross for rookies.

Puck Head
04-06-2016, 04:10 PM
McDavid absolutely should win this. The guy is by far the outstanding rookie of the year which is the essence of the award. It's not an Art Ross for rookies.

I have to disagree.
Panarin simply had the better season, there is no debating that. He not only lead the rookies in scoring by a huge margin, but he was top 10 in the league.
McDavid was outstanding for 1/2 a season at .34 goals per game and 1.05 points per game.
Panarin was outstanding for a full season at .36 goals per game and .95 points per game.

Puck Head
04-06-2016, 04:18 PM
The interesting question is who will be nominated.

Panarin obviously.
Behind him is Eichel and then Domi in points. Neither of which play with near the offensive talent of Larkin, (who fell off anyways), or McDavid.
That being said, it would be hard not to see Shayne Gostisbehere get nominated. Colton Parayko would get nominated is most other years also.

Just a hell of a rookie class.

Pete
04-06-2016, 09:58 PM

Panarin obviously.
Behind him is Eichel and then Domi in points. Neither of which play with near the offensive talent of Larkin, (who fell off anyways), or McDavid.
That being said, it would be hard not to see Shayne Gostisbehere get nominated. Colton Parayko would get nominated is most other years also.

Wait.... You're talking about the talent McDavid plays with, but not Panarin?

CreaseCrusader91
04-06-2016, 10:54 PM

Panarin obviously.

McDavid is 18/19 fresh off Junior and has made his linemates better. Fact is that his top three linemates, Eberle, Pouliot and Yakupov all have been on the ice for more goals with McDavid than without. He's been the key driver because regardless of his linemates he is generating offense at an absurd level for his age.

McDavid and Eberle

Together—3.72 G/60
McDavid W/O—2.79 G/60
Eberle W/O—1.58 G/60

McDavid and Pouliot

Together—3.78 G/60
McDavid W/O—2.89 G/60
Pouliot W/O—1.59 G/60

McDavid and Yakupov

Together—3.81 G/60
McDavid W/O—3.06 G/60
Yakupov W/O—1.12 G/60

The common thread is that McDavid offensively maintains whereas his linemates are not as good without him. Panarin is having a great year but take him away from Kane and his numbers aren't as high. I am not saying he hasn't played well etc. but it helps to have the Art Ross winner on your line.

Personally I'd go McDavid, Panarin and Gostisbehere as my top three with Eichel in fourth. Hard to put Panarin No. 3 but the impact Ghost has had in all areas is hard to ignore.

Puck Head
04-07-2016, 12:24 AM
Wait.... You're talking about the talent McDavid plays with, but not Panarin?

I'm talking about who gets nominated.
Panarin is in a league of his own statistically, my points were in regard to who gets nominated.

Pete
04-07-2016, 06:40 AM
I'm talking about who gets nominated.
Panarin is in a league of his own statistically, my points were in regard to who gets nominated.
He's in a league of his own because of Kane and other talent around him.

McDavid plays with no defenseman to feed the rush, and with guys like Letestu, Pouliot, and Maroon. Big difference.

Panarin will win the Calder, but not because he's the best player. He just has the most points.

Puck Head
04-08-2016, 01:06 PM
He's in a league of his own because of Kane and other talent around him. McDavid plays with no defenseman to feed the rush, and with guys like Letestu, Pouliot, and Maroon. Big difference. Panarin will win the Calder, but not because he's the best player. He just has the most points.

Oh agreed
There is no question as to whom the most talented rookie is this season. (Mcdavid). Also factor in Panrin is 5 years older?

But the award is for what has been accomplished in a season and Panarin is by himself in that regard

I doubt any rookie has put up that kind of season since Crosby/Ovechkin after the lockout

Puck Head
04-08-2016, 01:08 PM
And as far as talent
Mcdavid has pretty much always had Eberle next to him all season.

With a rotation of Poulliot, Yakupov, Hall, and others on the wing

CreaseCrusader91
04-08-2016, 02:03 PM
And as far as talent

And they've been worse offensively away from McDavid than they are with him by a wide margin.

Pete
04-09-2016, 09:54 AM
And as far as talent

Not Hall, not at ES, anyway according to Left Wing Lock.

Pouliot and Yakupov aren't very good. Certainly not the same as playing with the best offensive player on the planet right now—Patrick Kane.

Puck Head
04-09-2016, 04:18 PM
Not Hall, not at ES, anyway according to Left Wing Lock. Pouliot and Yakupov aren't very good. Certainly not the same as playing with the best offensive player on the planet right now—Patrick Kane.

Well no, but once again, I'm not comparing these two players. Panarin IMO gets nominated and walks away with the award.

The interesting question for me is to see who else gets nominated. Lots of worthy choices

Phil in Absentia
04-09-2016, 05:32 PM
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t31.0-8/12976907_1141281015892174_5528483078480174061_o.jp g