Phil in Absentia
01-28-2016, 02:23 PM
http://www.theplayerstribune.com/a-guy-like-me/

--

Incredible. Worth the read.

Morphinity
01-28-2016, 02:26 PM
http://www.theplayerstribune.com/a-guy-like-me/

At first, when it became clear that I was going to win the All-Star fan vote, I understood the leagueís position. They didnít mince words ó This is not a game for you, John ó but I understood all the same. Honestly, on some level, I agreed.

In the beginning, at least, I just wanted the entire thing to go away. We were on a really fun run in Phoenix, and I was starting to feel like I was part of something. The Coyotes had been picked to finish dead last ó but in the first half of the season, weíd surprised a lot of people. We were this strange collection of underdogs, and I fit right in. And I fit right in by doing what I do best: being a locker room guy, a no-nonsense guy, and a quiet yet effective enforcer.

One of the reasons Iíve made it as long as I have in the league is because I specifically know Iím not an All-Star.

So when they asked me to make a statement ó nudging the fan vote in another direction and denouncing the John Scott ďmovementĒ ó I did it without hesitation. I told the fans, ďListen. I donít deserve this. Vote for my teammates.Ē And I was telling the truth.

But while I donít deserve to be an All-Star, I also donít think I deserve to be treated like Iíve been by the league throughout this saga. Iím an NHL player ó and, whatever my set of skills may be, that Iím an NHL player is no accident. I genuinely believe that when Iím on the ice, or even just the bench, I make my teammates feel safe to do what they do best.

Does that make me an elite player? God, no. Am I going to be nervous as hell when I step onto the ice on Sunday ó and Iím playing three-on-three, with Tarasenko whizzing by over one shoulder, and Toews putting the moves on me over the other? Of course. Will I be the worst skater in the game? I mean, probably.

But at the same time: this isnít Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Iím not some random person off the street, and I didnít win a golden ticket to ďplay hockey with the stars.Ē I won an internet fan vote, sure. And at some point, without question, it was a joke. It might even finish as a joke. But it didnít start as one. It started with a very small pool, out of a very small pool, out of the very, very smallest pool of hockey players in the world: NHLers. That was the vote. A fan vote, an internet vote ó but a vote from among the 700 or so best hockey players in North American professional sports.

And Iím one of them.

If the league thought this was an embarrassment, pretty much all of the players Iíve encountered have thought otherwise. Iíve gotten texts from so many guys saying the same thing: ďYou should go.Ē

And that didnít happen because of the internet. I busted my ass to be one of them. Iíve skated every day since I was three years old to be one of them. Iíve persevered through Juniors roster cuts, Alaskan bus rides, Advanced Dynamics exams, and ó yes ó fights, to be one of them.

But Iím one of them. And that means a lot to me.

It means a lot to my family.

So when someone from the NHL calls me and says, ďDo you think this is something your kids would be proud of?Ē

Ö Thatís when they lost me.

That was it, right there. That was the moment.

Because, while I may not deserve to be an NHL All-Star, I know I deserve to be the judge of what my kids will ó and wonít ó be proud of me for.

Just a fantastic article about John Scott's whole story of this saga and also a look into his career path.

But the part I quoted infuriates me. Fuck the NHL. Disgraceful. :disappointed:

Johnnydollaz18
01-28-2016, 02:33 PM
Awesome read. I love seeing stories like that. Imagine getting called up and not having your passport? Thinking you may have blown your one shot to get called-up and weeks later, his dream came true. Awesome.

G1000
01-28-2016, 02:35 PM
Such a fantastic read. Thanks for sharing, gents.

Dunny
01-28-2016, 02:46 PM
Amazing.

Vodka Drunkenski
01-28-2016, 02:52 PM
Great read, love these articles

This will be the first allstar game I watch in a very long time.

BlairBettsBlocksEverything
01-28-2016, 03:21 PM
Great read, love these articles

This will be the first allstar game I watch in a very long time.

Me as well. And it's solely because of John Scott. Can't believe the NHL didn't realize how good it was that he was in it.

Vodka Drunkenski
01-28-2016, 04:14 PM
$20 he wins the MVP

Jules
01-28-2016, 05:11 PM
Me as well. And it's solely because of John Scott. Can't believe the NHL didn't realize how good it was that he was in it.

This. I'm solely watching this, because I want to see John Scott and cheer him on.

Apparently, the John Scott All-Star shirseys are the first ones all sold out on NHL.com. Hilarious and awesome!

Pete
01-28-2016, 05:14 PM
I'm not fan of the way they NHL treated him. It's unconscionable.

That said, this can end 2 ways, as I see it. He either gets dusted, or embarrassed because they slow the game down for him like the 63 year old at the open skate.

Either of those aren't really fun for anyone.

Phil in Absentia
01-28-2016, 05:22 PM
Neither is the ASG to begin with.

I think he comes out of this a cult hero. An even bigger one than he already is now. Even if he gets dusted/embarrassed at a game that doesn't matter.

Pete
01-28-2016, 05:23 PM
That remains to be seen.

Phil in Absentia
01-28-2016, 05:25 PM
Whether it's fun or not? Yeah, maybe. The change in format could have drummed up a little more support for eyes this year. But I'd argue the related news, like Scott's shirseys selling out well before any other player, are far more indicative of being responsible for the extra focus on the game this year.

I think the 3-on-3 format was probably going to entice a few new viewers, but the John Scott fiasco is going to drum up a fuck ton of viewers that the NHL is going to conveniently claim had nothing to do with the bump in ratings.

At the end of the day, Dave Lozo nailed it when he said something to the extent that this is a league that has no ability to be self-deprecating when it comes to jokes. Of any kind. They take everything to heart. Just ask John Scott... and his kids.

Pete
01-28-2016, 05:30 PM
Whether it's fun or not? Yeah, maybe. The change in format could have drummed up a little more support for eyes this year. But I'd argue the related news, like Scott's shirseys selling out well before any other player, are far more indicative of being responsible for the extra focus on the game this year.

I think the 3-on-3 format was probably going to entice a few new viewers, but the John Scott fiasco is going to drum up a fuck ton of viewers that the NHL is going to conveniently claim had nothing to do with the bump in ratings.

At the end of the day, Dave Lozo nailed it when he said something to the extent that this is a league that has no ability to be self-deprecating when it comes to jokes. Of any kind. They take everything to heart. Just ask John Scott... and his kids.
The 3/3 is what I think hurts Scott obviously.

01-28-2016, 05:32 PM
the crowd is going to go nuts when Scott gets one

Phil in Absentia
01-28-2016, 05:38 PM
Of course. That was the whole point of voting him in, to laugh at the league by giving them a candidate they clearly were not anticipating. I just don't think it's going to matter to Scott or the viewers, because the game itself was largely a joke. Few were going to watch anyway, even with the format change to 3-on-3. Many more will now watch just to see Scott, even if he's clearly outplayed, out skated, etc. None of it will matter, because his presence there is self-deprecating in a good way. He knows he's not good enough, but he's going anyway, because this game shouldn't be taken seriously anyway. Players or the league taking it seriously is representative of their inability to laugh at themselves.

RichieNextel305
01-28-2016, 05:43 PM
There is nothing riding on this game. It's not like MLB, which has made it into a fight for home-field in the World Series. All-Star Games across all sports have become so boring over the years. I think letting him play, and with Jagr being in the game, I think those are things fans will tune in for. We all know guys like Kane and Ovechkin are All-Stars. I'm also not advocating to turn ASG festivities into a free-for-all for the fans where they vote 20 crappy players in every year. This is a one year occurance for one sport. It's humorous. And honestly, it's bought more attention to an NHL All-Star Game than literally any other All-Star Game I can even remember. Not a lot of eyeballs have tuned in for this event in a while, nor has it been a major source of discussion. I think more people watched the All-Star draft or the Skills Competition. This year, because of the unexpectedness of John Scott, you'll have people, more people than usual, tune into the game. I'm all for this. It'll make it entertaining.

Valriera
01-28-2016, 05:44 PM
Really great read. Thanks.

Morphinity
01-28-2016, 06:08 PM
He's not THAT slow. Plus, they go like, what, 50% in these all star games anyway.

With 3-on-3, it's going to be mainly stretch passes and half-assed back checking. This is going to be a glorified breakaway competition.

Captain Clutch
01-28-2016, 06:29 PM
The NHL comes out looking incredibly low and embarrassing after this. I LOVE hockey but god do I hate the NHL, or those who run it.

Phil in Absentia
01-28-2016, 08:21 PM
He's not THAT slow. Plus, they go like, what, 50% in these all star games anyway.

With 3-on-3, it's going to be mainly stretch passes and half-assed back checking. This is going to be a glorified breakaway competition.

He also grew up playing defense, so maybe they just put him back there and let forwards play up front to deal with most of the movement.

Kevin
01-28-2016, 08:49 PM
How about the tiny balls on the Phoenix GM? Makes me hope that they finish in last place after this NHL driven horseshit.

01-29-2016, 09:47 AM
Of course. That was the whole point of voting him in, to laugh at the league by giving them a candidate they clearly were not anticipating. I just don't think it's going to matter to Scott or the viewers, because the game itself was largely a joke. Few were going to watch anyway, even with the format change to 3-on-3. Many more will now watch just to see Scott, even if he's clearly outplayed, out skated, etc. None of it will matter, because his presence there is self-deprecating in a good way. He knows he's not good enough, but he's going anyway, because this game shouldn't be taken seriously anyway. Players or the league taking it seriously is representative of their inability to laugh at themselves.

I hoenstly think there's a little bit more to it than that. Remember, this isn't the first attempt at doing this. There's been campaigns to vote in obscure players that never seemed to gain enough traction. I think NHL fans across the league genuinely love John Scott. Every goal he scores, every funny picture he's in, it always goes viral (at least on the hockey secion on reddit lol). The NHL is trying to erase the enforcer role from the game and I think fans, conciously or not, want to recognize how tough his job is and how hard a guy like Scott had to work work in getting to the league.

ThirtyONE
01-29-2016, 12:34 PM
I mentioned this somewhere yesterday but I never understood why the NHL, or any major league sport for that matter, takes the All Star Game so seriously. Good for Scott.

01-29-2016, 03:56 PM
I agree. It's a meaningless game. It's supposed to be a fun treat for the fans. The fans waned Scott in. Why they interfered idk.

Morphinity
01-29-2016, 04:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu43Kt7B_iU&feature=youtu.be

Phil in Absentia
01-29-2016, 04:22 PM
Listening to this guy on HC @ Noon, if this guy isn't in the NHL next year, he's gonna be part of it if he wants to be. He's all personality. Could jump onto any broadcast with ease as an analyst or color guy, IMO.

ThirtyONE
01-29-2016, 04:26 PM
Anybody else find it weird how they're talking to him like he's some fan or retired player?

Phil in Absentia
01-29-2016, 04:53 PM
What I find more interesting is my own theory I conjured up yesterday that goes like this...

Everyone is predicting this to be his last season in the NHL. They think he's finished, the game has passed him and there's no use for players like him anymore. But there's one team still in the league who seem to constantly buck these trends -- the Kings. The same Kings who are reportedly getting next years ASG.

Lecavalier, Schenn, Richards, Carter, Gaborik... John Scott!?

How hilarious would it be if he somehow gets voted in two straight years? :rofl:

Dunny
01-29-2016, 07:01 PM

Bingo. I wanted to mention this yesterday. I get the feeling like people think he's awful at hockey. That's simply not the case. He's relatively bad. This is a guy that had a full ride to a D1 school.

Pete
01-29-2016, 07:05 PM
Against the best players in the world. Even at 50% they will take him apart, or take pity... Which one is worse is not for me to say.

Morphinity
01-29-2016, 07:23 PM
He said it himself, he's not that bad. He'll be fine out there. Could certain players undress him or skate circles around him? Sure. But no one is out there to make anyone look like a fool. The only ones looking like fools during All-Star Games are the goalies, unfortunately.

Pete
01-29-2016, 07:32 PM
He said it himself, he's not that bad. He'll be fine out there. Could certain players undress him or skate circles around him? Sure. But no one is out there to make anyone look like a fool. The only ones looking like fools during All-Star Games are the goalies, unfortunately.
Just because he says he isn't bad doesn't mean he isn't.

Morphinity
01-29-2016, 07:36 PM
Alright, you can believe whatever you want

Pete
01-29-2016, 07:45 PM
Alright, you can believe whatever you wantIt's not about belief, it's about reality.

I mean, you make it like I've never seen the guy play before. There's a reason he's a 13th NHL forward. You're making him out to be some type of untapped power forward.

Morphinity
01-29-2016, 09:11 PM
I'm really not. I'm just refuting your belief there are two options: a) where he gets smoked or b) gets played down to like a child. I think there's more of a grey area.

Pete
01-29-2016, 09:13 PM
I'm really not. I'm just refuting your belief there are two options: a) where he gets smoked or b) gets played down to like a child. I think there's more of a grey area.
Fair enough.

I don't see it, but we shall see this weekend.

Did they announce what skills competition he's in?

Dunny
01-29-2016, 09:21 PM
He has to participate in one? Hardest shot would make the most sense. He has to be able to shoot being that massive.

Morphinity
01-29-2016, 09:23 PM
Fair enough.

I don't see it, but we shall see this weekend.

Did they announce what skills competition he's in?

Hardest shot and accurate shooter is what he said in the interview with Mallard and Kypreos. I think everyone has to play in two.

Pete
01-29-2016, 09:24 PM
He has to participate in one? Hardest shot would make the most sense. He has to be able to shoot being that massive.
Yea agreed. Good shit.

Hardest shot and accurate shooter is what he said in the interview with Mallard and Kypreos. I think everyone has to play in two.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

sg3
01-30-2016, 06:22 AM
Terrific idea by the NHL to have a no talent goon who isn't even currently in the NHL as the captain of one of their all star teams

Maybe MLB should follow suit and select some player on the minor league affiliate roster of an American League team as Captain of the National League all stars

Morphinity
01-30-2016, 09:44 AM
It wasn't the NHL's idea. It was the fans' idea. The fans were given a vote and they voted in a popular player. The NHL tried their best to usurp that though, so you can give them credit if you want.

Dunny
01-30-2016, 09:50 AM
:thumbs:

Pete
01-30-2016, 10:00 AM
It wasn't the NHL's idea. It was the fans' idea. The fans were given a vote and they voted in a popular player. The NHL tried their best to usurp that though, so you can give them credit if you want.
Probably the most embarrassing display from a sports league I've ever seen.

Dunny
01-30-2016, 10:30 AM
Probably the most embarrassing display from a sports league I've ever seen.

Especially if what was in his PT piece is accurate. Pretty much what you said about them being JV.

Phil in Absentia
01-30-2016, 10:54 AM
Especially if what was in his PT piece is accurate. Pretty much what you said about them being JV.

And he spared them in that piece, too. He didn't share his conversation with Maloney or go into depth about who at the league said that shit to him, or what else was said.

Morphinity
01-30-2016, 06:04 PM
:tweet: @wyshynski
Bettman says NHL official pressuring John Scott by evoking his kids "not relevant." “John had to take into account variety of factors." #NHL

--

See you next Tuesday

Pete
01-30-2016, 06:29 PM
:tweet: @wyshynski
Bettman says NHL official pressuring John Scott by evoking his kids "not relevant." ďJohn had to take into account variety of factors." #NHL

--

See you next Tuesday
He's one guy I hope slips on the ice.

Phil in Absentia
01-30-2016, 07:17 PM
Bettman doing his job — taking bullets for the real evil. Always.

Pete
01-30-2016, 07:43 PM
Bettman doing his job ó taking bullets for the real evil. Always.
A fish stinks from the head. None of this happens without his blessing.

Phil in Absentia
01-30-2016, 07:47 PM
He shares some of the guilt, no doubt, but I can't say for certain he lead the charge. I can't charge him with using Scott's kids against him, for example.

But his job is to stand out front and take bullets. Whether's its's for the owners or the front office. He plays the professional rodeo clown.

Pete
01-30-2016, 08:05 PM
He shares some of the guilt, no doubt, but I can't say for certain he lead the charge. I can't charge him with using Scott's kids against him, for example.

But his job is to stand out front and take bullets. Whether's its's for the owners or the front office. He plays the professional rodeo clown.
No one gets to use Scott's kid against him until Bettman gives the OK to circumvent the NHL own system and remove Scott from the game.

The fault lies with him.

Rodeo clowns aren't provoking the bull. Bettman is. He's no innocent.

PS....he isn't taking bullets. He's denying it's relevance.

Phil in Absentia
01-30-2016, 08:10 PM
No one gets to use Scott's kid against him until Bettman gives the OK to circumvent the NHL own system and remove Scott from the game.

The fault lies with him.

Rodeo clowns aren't provoking the bull. Bettman is. He's no innocent.

PS....he isn't taking bullets. He's denying it's relevance.

That's taking a bullet. Just as it was when he claimed fans don't care about the salary cap, when they clearly do.

Pete
01-30-2016, 08:16 PM
That's taking a bullet. Just as it was when he claimed fans don't care about the salary cap, when they clearly do.
I don't see it that way. Taking a bullet is saying he fucked up. He's getting shot at and dodging.

Phil in Absentia
01-30-2016, 08:19 PM
Taking bullets to me is standing in front of the hailfire being shot at the league and taking the hits for the guys who are probably responsible for it.

So in the case of the lockouts, for example, he's the one out there with his face within punching distance. The owners are actually responsible. Jeremy Jacobs likely leading the charge. But the fans will shout things like "Fuck Bettman" and boo him, not the owners, because he makes himself available to be that target.

Keirik
01-30-2016, 08:27 PM
Prior to this year ive felt zero reason to watch the ASG. This year i feel two; 3 v 3 and John Scott.

Pete
01-31-2016, 12:22 AM
Taking bullets to me is standing in front of the hailfire being shot at the league and taking the hits for the guys who are probably responsible for it.

So in the case of the lockouts, for example, he's the one out there with his face within punching distance. The owners are actually responsible. Jeremy Jacobs likely leading the charge. But the fans will shout things like "Fuck Bettman" and boo him, not the owners, because he makes himself available to be that target.
But he's a huge part of it. So he shares the blame. You're kind of positioning him as an innocent calling him a Rodeo clown.

Phil in Absentia
01-31-2016, 09:18 AM
Of course he is a huge part of it. He drives the bus. But the bus is bought and paid for by the owners and the direction he's commanded to steer is determined by them as well. Whenever the NHL pulls the bus over and refuses to drive until specific requirements are met, that's the owners too.

He's complicit, but he's not utterly responsible. That's what I'm getting at. He's a low hanging fruit target because he makes himself one. On purpose.

Pete
01-31-2016, 09:24 AM
Of course he is a huge part of it. He drives the bus. But the bus is bought and paid for by the owners and the direction he's commanded to steer is determined by them as well. Whenever the NHL pulls the bus over and refuses to drive until specific requirements are met, that's the owners too.

He's complicit, but he's not utterly responsible. That's what I'm getting at. He's a low hanging fruit target because he makes himself one. On purpose.
Like every commissioner of every sport.

Greenday4537
01-31-2016, 10:15 AM
Scott is the only reason I'm watching this year. All star games in sports are jokes. To take a popularity contest and claim the results are the best players is ridiculous. FFS, I have to listen about how Jameis Winston is a great QB because he made the Pro Bowl this year (Despite the fact that the only reason he got in is because a bunch of GOOD QBs decided to bow out). No one tries, the goalies give zero craps, and the score is proof.

Vodka Drunkenski
01-31-2016, 08:25 PM
$20 he wins the MVP

Who owes me???

Morphinity
01-31-2016, 08:40 PM
sg3

Phil in Absentia
01-31-2016, 08:42 PM
Can he count money with broken knuckles? I'm pretty sure he's been destroying everything in his house/apartment the last hour+ with his fists...

Slobberknocker
02-01-2016, 10:24 AM
hell of a story and one hell of a game and outcome.

nbc had the video of his team mates lifting him. the nhl website did not.

Phil in Absentia
02-01-2016, 02:42 PM
Like I said, Hollywood movie-level story-telling went on here.

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/mondaymustread-scott-approached-about-movie-1.431618

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1E9DVzIJEk

Mike
02-03-2016, 04:27 PM
I heard it was Colin Campbell that said that shit to Scott about embarrassing himself.

Phil in Absentia
02-03-2016, 04:45 PM
I heard it was Colin Campbell that said that shit to Scott about embarrassing himself.

Yeah, that's the scuttlebutt. Not shocking if true. Google "Colin Campbell emails".

Mike
02-03-2016, 05:14 PM
Was it rumored to be him? I didn't know that.

Dunny
02-03-2016, 05:22 PM
Sounds like Collie for sure. Campbell is actually a popular guy with players but he's just a tough old farmer so he's not exactly PC.