PDA

View Full Version : Suspension/Fine: CGY [F] Dennis Wideman Suspended 20 Games for Linseman Assault; Reduced to 10

Lt. Dan
01-27-2016, 11:51 PM
Wideman crosschecked a linsemen :eek:

https://vine.co/v/iilwrbO79ww

Choppy video but it's all I found for now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWNfGrWBMd8

Vodka Drunkenski
01-28-2016, 08:14 AM
Wideman should be suspended for at least 20 games for this one according to the NHL rule book. That's disgusting

Kevin
01-28-2016, 08:20 AM
Wideman crosschecked a linsemen :eek:

https://vine.co/v/iilwrbO79ww

Choppy video but it's all I found for now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWNfGrWBMd8

I watched this on the highlights just now. It was definitely intentional in my opinion. Just before the impact he actually looks like he speeds up and delivers the check. Immediately after, while on the bench, you can even see him saying "I don't give a fuck". I don't think he'll get suspended because I don't believe he has any of this type of history in the league but it was dirty as fuck.

Mike
01-28-2016, 08:47 AM
He didn't even get a penalty !! He said he was trying to get to the bench, and it was an accident.

I am Scags
01-28-2016, 09:55 AM
While there may not be any history with him and that the 'collision' was not penalized on the ice, the NHL really cannot let this incident just go away with slap on the wrist. They have to set a precedent with this one. We've all seen on the internet how two kids in a high school football game attacked a ref on the field, and how confrontational now players have become with referees. They have to give him at minimum 10 games. The union will fight it and that's fine, that's there job to protect their member, but I can't see how Quintal can just have this one just brushed off and forgotten

Lt. Dan
01-28-2016, 10:34 AM
He didn't even get a penalty !! He said he was trying to get to the bench, and it was an accident.

You should have heard his horseshit explanation in the locker room after the game. It was a total joke. Especially when he said he was just trying to get to the bench and didn't really realize where he was.

Mike
01-28-2016, 02:30 PM
Is the league looking at this.

Phil in Absentia
01-28-2016, 02:54 PM
Don Henderson was sent to hospital for precautionary reasons after a collision with Calgary Flames defenseman Dennis Wideman on Wednesday and has since been released, TSN's Darren Dreger reported Thursday.

Sportsnet's Eric Francis reported that Henderson, who was able to finish the game, was in hospital until 5:00 a.m. dealing with "neck pain and nausea," and went through the concussion protocol.

Dreger added that a decision on whether Wideman will be suspended as a result of the collision is expected later Thursday.

http://www.thescore.com/news/947505

Vodka Drunkenski
01-28-2016, 02:55 PM
Can he press charges?

Dunny
01-28-2016, 03:12 PM
Come on, he was clearly a little confused heading to the bench with what looked like an injury.

Press charges! Ban him for life! Lawsuit!

McDougalfaschnitzer
01-28-2016, 03:15 PM
Come on, he was clearly a little confused heading to the bench with what looked like an injury.

If he left the game with injury, or to a lesser degree left the bench for evaluation, I could give a little benefit of the doubt. Was that the case?

Dunny
01-28-2016, 03:29 PM
I have no idea, but you clearly see him struggling with something in that clip. And it looks head related.

Phil in Absentia
01-28-2016, 03:43 PM
:tweet: @DarrenDreger: Indefinite suspension for Wideman pending post All Star hearing.

G1000
01-28-2016, 03:51 PM
Well he damn sure fuckin deserves it.

NYR2711
01-28-2016, 08:14 PM
What an asshole. How do you even try to play that off as an accident?

Progrocker
01-28-2016, 08:33 PM
I'll play devil's advocate here. Just prior, Wideman got checked hard into the glass apparently hitting his head and putting him on queer street while skating toward the bench. Could've been concussed. He's not known for goonish behavior and I find it hard to fathom anyone in their right mind intentionally greasing an official like that.

Not saying he shouldn't be suspended, I'm just not sure he knew what he was doing entirely.

Vodka Drunkenski
01-28-2016, 09:16 PM
Come on, he was clearly a little confused heading to the bench with what looked like an injury. Press charges! Ban him for life! Lawsuit!

You need your head examined if you believe he was confused. I say that with love

McDougalfaschnitzer
01-28-2016, 09:38 PM
I'll play devil's advocate here. Just prior, Wideman got checked hard into the glass apparently hitting his head and putting him on queer street while skating toward the bench. Could've been concussed. He's not known for goonish behavior and I find it hard to fathom anyone in their right mind intentionally greasing an official like that.

Not saying he shouldn't be suspended, I'm just not sure he knew what he was doing entirely.

I'd be willing to accept that if he did not return to the game after the hit. Does anyone know if he continued to play?

Pete
01-28-2016, 09:59 PM
First time I saw it, it looked to me like he might have had his eyes closed from the way he was acting.

Mike
01-28-2016, 10:13 PM
First time I saw it, it looked to me like he might have had his eyes closed from the way he was acting.

If his eyes were closed he never would have been able to knowingly lift his hands up into the ref's back.

Phil in Absentia
01-28-2016, 11:47 PM
I gave him the benefit of doubt, until I saw his reaction. When you make this kind of contact incidentally/accidentally, there needs to be an immediate or only slightly delayed sense of remorse. Wideman went right to bench and never even looked back.

I'm not buying the concussion thing either. Sorry, dude, but this seems to me he just lost his cool and took it out on the wrong guy. Just like Carcillo. And just like Carcillo he's gonna get ten games.

Pete
01-29-2016, 07:05 AM
If his eyes were closed he never would have been able to knowingly lift his hands up into the ref's back.
Obviously I meant he opened them in time to protect himself.

Mike
01-29-2016, 08:48 AM
Obviously I meant he opened them in time to protect himself.

Lol, I know. I was being facetious.

Mentosman42
01-29-2016, 08:48 AM
Can't see this being accidental, Wideman looks pissed after the hit and swings his stick at the player that hit him.

People do stupid shit when they are enraged.

BlairBettsBlocksEverything
01-29-2016, 09:43 AM
Kinda looks to me like he's looking towards stanchion as he heads to the bench. He looks a little bit wobbly too. Definitely would make sense to me if he didn't see the ref coming.

Kevin
01-29-2016, 04:27 PM
Kinda looks to me like he's looking towards stanchion as he heads to the bench. He looks a little bit wobbly too. Definitely would make sense to me if he didn't see the ref coming.

I wonder if they have another camera angle that debunks this theory.

Dunny
01-29-2016, 04:48 PM
I'm sure it had nothing to do with the hit to the head he just received and this guy who has no prior history of anything in a really long career, and who is generally regarded by all in the league as a good dude, just decided to fuck it and slam a linesman (Refs you get mad at, linesmen you tell what an asshole the ref is) to the ice.

What's more likely?

Obviously he's getting suspended, but that's really not the point.

Phil in Absentia
02-03-2016, 01:51 PM
:tweet: @Real_ESPNLeBrun: Dennis Wideman suspended 20 games by the NHL

phillyb™
02-03-2016, 01:53 PM
good. idiot

Vodka Drunkenski
02-03-2016, 01:57 PM
Should've been more

Lt. Dan
02-03-2016, 01:57 PM
;825653]good. idiot

Should've been more

:word:

Dunny
02-03-2016, 02:00 PM
Dumb

Morphinity
02-03-2016, 02:10 PM
I think the debate over whether or not this was intentional limited it to 20 games. It's really hard to prove, but the optics of this hit were really bad. You can't just let the guy get off because he says it wasn't intentional - of course he says that.

ThirtyONE
02-03-2016, 02:33 PM
Really scummy move. Should be more games.

Phil in Absentia
02-03-2016, 02:48 PM
I think the debate over whether or not this was intentional limited it to 20 games. It's really hard to prove, but the optics of this hit were really bad. You can't just let the guy get off because he says it wasn't intentional - of course he says that.

This. Plus you have the officials union to worry about as well. I think this is a number fair for everyone. I'm not even sure Wideman appeals or not.

phillyb™
02-03-2016, 02:54 PM
did carcillo appeal?

Mistercosmic
02-03-2016, 03:08 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V_E_Jnyhks

Phil in Absentia
02-03-2016, 04:13 PM
did carcillo appeal?

I don't believe so, no.

Respecttheblue
02-03-2016, 11:44 PM

I think he was pissed off at the officials for not penalizing the hit he'd just taken, and decided to let an official feel what it feels like.
He started to get his hands and stick up before he hit the guy, and finished the check by rotating the hit toward the boards.
Not a normally bad guy but this time, he decided to share his pain. No problem with 20 games on that, but the double standard when it comes to players bothers me. If it was on a player it would only be 5-7 games.

Kevin
02-04-2016, 03:38 AM
I think he was pissed off at the officials for not penalizing the hit he'd just taken, and decided to let an official feel what it feels like.
He started to get his hands and stick up before he hit the guy, and finished the check by rotating the hit toward the boards.
Not a normally bad guy but this time, he decided to share his pain. No problem with 20 games on that, but the double standard when it comes to players bothers me. If it was on a player it would only be 5-7 games.

If it was on a player it might be a 2 minute penalty. I don't see this as a double standard in the slightest. The refs/linesman and there to uphold the laws of the game. They are treated as police officers on the ice and should always be considered off limits from physical abuse.

Dunny
02-07-2016, 10:37 AM
Diagnosed concussion. Brain injury.

Puck Head
02-07-2016, 11:31 AM
Diagnosed concussion. Brain injury.

The ref or Wideman?

Dunny
02-07-2016, 11:33 AM
LOL..

Phil in Absentia
03-11-2016, 01:24 PM
:tweet: @RealKyper: Hearing #Flames Wideman had his #NHL suspension reduced by 10 games by neutral arbitrator James Oldham today. @SNHockeyCentral

:tweet: @generalfanager: With Wideman's suspension reduced from 20 to 10 games, he now forfeits $282,258 instead of $564,516.

Kevin
03-11-2016, 01:53 PM
:tweet: @RealKyper: Hearing #Flames Wideman had his #NHL suspension reduced by 10 games by neutral arbitrator James Oldham today. @SNHockeyCentral

:tweet: @generalfanager: With Wideman's suspension reduced from 20 to 10 games, he now forfeits $282,258 instead of $564,516.

Huge savings for him there. Probably the right amount of games too.

Future
03-11-2016, 02:29 PM
Can you imagine if this was a player who....mattered.

Not that he'd ever get suspended for anything, but if Crosby got 20 games and the appeals process took 19 of them. Pitt would be up in arms.

Phil in Absentia
03-11-2016, 02:49 PM
You'd see a bigger stink put up, that's for sure, at least from a public/fan perspective.