PDA

View Full Version : Active Hall of Famers

Kevin
01-25-2016, 01:35 PM
The All-Star Break is right around the corner and as something to keep us interested, how about a discussion on players that are actively playing that seem destined to be in the Hall of Fame?

Some rules may help: 1. Only one player can be named by a user. 2. Some supporting stats should be used to help reinforce your position on why that player will make the Hall.

I'll start:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-PfC5IUwBMnI/AAAAAAAAAAI/AAAAAAAAAHA/26jLlyzYglk/photo.jpg

The King of course!

Notable Career Stats : 361 Wins (2nd among active goaltenders and 17th all-time) , .917 Save Percentage (4th all-time), 2.27 GAA (13th all-time), 1 Vezina *and four other top 3 finishes*, and a 3x All-star.

I figure when all is said and done, Hank just south of 450 wins with his save percentage #'s and GAA staying similar (maybe a little drop). The big detriment to Hank will be that he hasn't won a Cup although there are a few HOF'ers that haven't either (Giacomin, Esposito just to name a couple).

Win total alone doesn't seem like it will be enough to get him in (CuJo) but with the supporting stats, including losses, it should be enough...besides, he's so damn pretty!

Discuss away!

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8468685
http://www.hockey-reference.com/

Puck Head
01-25-2016, 02:47 PM
Great thread, I'll go next

Player- Jagr
Reason- Epic Mullet

jjweimar
01-25-2016, 02:49 PM
Alex Ovechkin
Already the leading russian goal scorer of all time at age 30 with more years to go.
500 goals already and should by the end of next season reach 1000 pts.
6 50 goal seasons
4 100 pt seasons
just under 1 p/g in playoffs

Phil in Absentia
01-25-2016, 04:16 PM
Jarome Iginla is a first-ballot candidate.

18th all-time in goals, currently at 602.
24th all-time in games played, currently at 1,442

Puck Head
01-25-2016, 05:07 PM
I would like to keep going on a list

Mike
01-25-2016, 05:19 PM
I think Hank's wins will be debated because of the shoot out.

Puck Head
01-25-2016, 05:23 PM

I think it's a toss up between him and Luongo on who would get in first if neither played another game

Phil in Absentia
01-25-2016, 05:23 PM
Probably, but he'll get into the Hall, without a doubt. If he wins a Cup, he's first-ballot. Without it he may have to wait for a non-stacked class. But he's getting in based on his track record for sure.

Puck Head
01-25-2016, 05:27 PM
I think at no point in the last 25 years has the NHL been his void of HOF lock players

If nobody played another game
I can think of two goaltenders, 2 forwards, and no defenseman

As far as predictions, that's hard to say, but a couple forwards area still fairly young and have almost gathered enough hardware and stats to get in.

Kevin
01-25-2016, 05:59 PM

I agree with this but I think his other supporting numbers will assist with getting him in. Plus he has been considered one of the best goalies in the league for at least the last 8 years. Guys that have that type of reputation seem to get stronger support then guys like CuJo, Vernon, or Osgood who piled up wins but weren't at the top for as many years.

Kevin
01-25-2016, 06:00 PM
I would like to keep going on a list

If this stalls out then I'm all for it. It'd be nice for a bunch of different users to get input though.

Kevin
01-25-2016, 06:06 PM
I think at no point in the last 25 years has the NHL been his void of HOF lock players

If nobody played another game
I can think of two goaltenders, 2 forwards, and no defenseman

As far as predictions, that's hard to say, but a couple forwards area still fairly young and have almost gathered enough hardware and stats to get in.

There's at least one that will get in, IMO, but I don't want to derail my own rules lol.

Pete
01-25-2016, 06:34 PM
There's at least one that will get in, IMO, but I don't want to derail my own rules lol.
Duncan Keith.

Puck Head
01-25-2016, 09:24 PM
Duncan Keith.

Not enough yet
Chara would be closer is both players stopped
Playing today

Pete
01-25-2016, 09:32 PM
Not enough yet
Chara would be closer is both players stopped
Playing today
3 cups....2 Norris and Conn Smythe isn't enough?

Vs 1 cup 1 Norris? I beg to differ.

Puck Head
01-25-2016, 10:22 PM
3 cups....2 Norris and Conn Smythe isn't enough? Vs 1 cup 1 Norris? I beg to differ.

Games and points He just doesn't have enough yet.

Chara does, and 6 or so Norris nominations

Kevin
01-25-2016, 10:36 PM
I think both Chara and Keith both will get in. Keith's already played over 800 games and averages more than .5 pts per game. That, on top of the 2 Norris' and the Conn Smyth, will get him in.

NYRangers92
01-25-2016, 10:36 PM
Patrick Kane
-Calder
-3 Cups
-Conn Smythe
-Probably scoring title this season
-Probably Hart this season

Only 27. Is there a younger player who is a definite HOFer?

Puck Head
01-25-2016, 10:39 PM
Patrick Kane -Calder -3 Cups -Conn Smythe -Probably scoring title this season -Probably Hart this season Only 27. Is there a younger player who is a definite HOFer?

No, but he's not in the same class as Crosby and Ovechkin at same age

NYRangers92
01-25-2016, 10:44 PM
Age 27 season:
Crosby-- 28-56-84 (77 games)
Malkin-- 23-49-72 (60 games)
Kane-- 30-43-73 (52 games and counting)

Granted his Points per game is not really close to those two, but there are multiple factors behind that. But if we're comparing them at the same age that Kane is now, hes coming out on top.

Puck Head
01-25-2016, 10:56 PM
Age 27 season: Crosby-- 28-56-84 (77 games) Malkin-- 23-49-72 (60 games) Kane-- 30-43-73 (52 games and counting) Granted his Points per game is not really close to those two, but there are multiple factors behind that. But if we're comparing them at the same age that Kane is now, hes coming out on top.

No no
We are talking HOF credentials
And at the same age Kane isn't anywhere near ur same class as Crosby and Ovechkin

Pete
01-26-2016, 06:55 AM
Patrick Kane
-Calder
-3 Cups
-Conn Smythe
-Probably scoring title this season
-Probably Hart this season

Only 27. Is there a younger player who is a definite HOFer?
Toews. International wins, as well.

BlairBettsBlocksEverything
01-26-2016, 09:24 AM
I think Erik Karlsson will eventually become a HOFer but he has to keep doing it for a few more years.

Of the young guns that I think eventually will make it, I think Johnny Hockey will eventually become one.

Future
01-26-2016, 10:34 AM
Depending how long he plays, Joe Thornton could end up top-10 all time in assists. Hard to leave a guy like that out I think.

The thing that's difficult now about making guesses on the HOF is that, outside of the obvious guys (Crosby, Jagr, Ovi), the points aren't there like they used to be. It's just a lot harder to score than it was in the past, so guys are going to have a hard time getting in based on stats.

Talent-wise, there are a LOT of players right now who could go.

CreaseCrusader91
01-26-2016, 10:43 AM
3 cups....2 Norris and Conn Smythe isn't enough?

Vs 1 cup 1 Norris? I beg to differ.

Two Olympic Gold medals help him too since HHOF values International success equally.

Morphinity
01-26-2016, 10:47 AM
Marian Hossa

1219 games played, 494 goals, 587 assists, 1081 points
194 playoff games played, 49 goals, 95 assists, 144 points

He's won three Stanley Cups and has been to the Final five times with three different teams. He probably would have won a Selke or two if the award wasn't handed only to centers. That's not to mention fourteen international appearances (including four Olympics). He's a fantastic all around player. EZ Hall of Famer.

--

Since I have now fulfilled the rules of this thread. I take issue with Puck Head's qualifying players who "could stop playing now" and still make the Hall of Fame. I don't get this line of thinking at all. Maybe that was a thing in the 80s, but with the growth of the league and the development of the game, it's harder to put up the insane points and win multiple Cups to get to that level of "Hall-of-Famer by 25." Players now require a fuller career arc to see that success. I mean look at Marian Hossa, who is a first ballot Hall of Famer. If he stopped playing after his stint with the Thrashers, he would have still had incredible point per game numbers, but he would have not won any Cups or had an significant playoff appearances.

NYRangers92
01-26-2016, 11:13 AM
Toews. International wins, as well.

He's (slightly) older haha

phillyb™
01-26-2016, 11:16 AM
Depending how long he plays, Joe Thornton could end up top-10 all time in assists. Hard to leave a guy like that out I think.

The thing that's difficult now about making guesses on the HOF is that, outside of the obvious guys (Crosby, Jagr, Ovi), the points aren't there like they used to be. It's just a lot harder to score than it was in the past, so guys are going to have a hard time getting in based on stats.

thornton crossed my mind as well. over 800 points for two teams.

Puck Head
01-26-2016, 11:22 AM
Marian Hossa 1219 games played, 494 goals, 587 assists, 1081 points 194 playoff games played, 49 goals, 95 assists, 144 points He's won three Stanley Cups and has been to the Final five times with three different teams. He probably would have won a Selke or two if the award wasn't handed only to centers. That's not to mention fourteen international appearances (including four Olympics). He's a fantastic all around player. EZ Hall of Famer. -- Since I have now fulfilled the rules of this thread. I take issue with Puck Head's qualifying players who "could stop playing now" and still make the Hall of Fame. I don't get this line of thinking at all. Maybe that was a thing in the 80s, but with the growth of the league and the development of the game, it's harder to put up the insane points and win multiple Cups to get to that level of "Hall-of-Famer by 25." Players now require a fuller career arc to see that success. I mean look at Marian Hossa, who is a first ballot Hall of Famer. If he stopped playing after his stint with the Thrashers, he would have still had incredible point per game numbers, but he would have not won any Cups or had an significant playoff appearances.

Simple
There are two different discussions. 4-5 players I could see getting a HOF nod in regards to what they have already accomplished.

And the players we think will continue performing at a high level and thus get in. The later becomes a bit grey. Stampkos for example

AmericanJesus
01-26-2016, 12:34 PM
Pavel Datsyuk

2 cups

3 Selke

4 Lady Byng

Just under a point per game over his career.

Puck Head
01-26-2016, 03:30 PM
Pavel Datsyuk 2 cups 3 Selke 4 Lady Byng Just under a point per game over his career.

And international work
I agree on this one

Kevin
01-26-2016, 08:45 PM
Pavel Datsyuk

2 cups

3 Selke

4 Lady Byng

Just under a point per game over his career.

For some reason I feel he gets overlooked at times. Or maybe that's just me...anyway, great choice. I think he's in as well.

Kevin
01-26-2016, 08:50 PM

I'm curious if he actually makes it. I think for him the lack of a Cup could leave him out. He's always been a very good player but never dominant for long stretches. He's got the one Hart but never finished in the top 3 again, although his pt per game number is very good.

Pete
01-26-2016, 08:54 PM
I'm curious if he actually makes it. I think for him the lack of a Cup could leave him out. He's always been a very good player but never dominant for long stretches. He's got the one Hart but never finished in the top 3 again, although his pt per game number is very good.
I think he has enough international wins to help him in.

Kevin
01-27-2016, 01:41 PM
This is stalling a little...how about the Sedin twins? Both are closing in on 1,000 points in their careers. Henrik has a Hart and Daniel finished 2nd one year.

Keirik
01-27-2016, 02:23 PM
It's hard to induct Thornton before inducting Pierre Turgeon IMO. Thornton is just a compile to me. Hawerchuk in the HOF?

Puck Head
01-27-2016, 04:12 PM
It's hard to induct Thornton before inducting Pierre Turgeon IMO. Thornton is just a compile to me. Hawerchuk in the HOF?

Well who's not in is a different story

Recchi deserves it as much as any current NHL player not named Jagr

Andreychuk also comes to mind.
Kariya, Tkaichuk, Lindros off top of head

Kevin
01-27-2016, 04:26 PM
Well who's not in is a different story

Recchi deserves it as much as any current NHL player not named Jagr

Andreychuk also comes to mind.
Kariya, Tkaichuk, Lindros off top of head

Was this past year Recchi's first year on the ballot? I think he makes it in eventually but I'm okay with him not being a first ballot selection. Was Recchi ever even the best player on his team? I always viewed him as a supporting player that was just really good at his job, not the guy that got game-planned against.

Future
01-28-2016, 10:06 AM
Hmm. Good point, though I would never think of Turgeon as a HoFer.

Keirik
01-28-2016, 10:51 AM
Hmm. Good point, though I would never think of Turgeon as a HoFer.

Well, i agree with that. I actually don't particularly feel either are HOFers but thats just me. Neither were a dominant player for a long enough time. Very good players yes, but best of the best? Nah.

Future
01-28-2016, 10:57 AM
Well, i agree with that. I actually don't particularly feel either are HOFers but thats just me. Neither were a dominant player for a long enough time. Very good players yes, but best of the best? Nah.
Yea, I mean I think you probably changed my mind about Thornton lol

Though I won't really say that Thornton was just "very good." The guy is an elite set up man, as evidenced by the top 10 assist mark, should he hit it.

Keirik
01-28-2016, 11:19 AM
Yea, I mean I think you probably changed my mind about Thornton lol

Though I won't really say that Thornton was just "very good." The guy is an elite set up man, as evidenced by the top 10 assist mark, should he hit it.

Well, to me, he hasn't led the league in assists since around 2008 i believe, so if you are getting into the HOF just based on one category, then you should be the top dog in that category a lot more often. In fairness though he is usually top 5 so it's really nitpicking on my part. The thing is, he's only twice hit 100 points and 30 goals so he really is too one sided in my book. I think it took Oates a fairly long time to get in to the hall so we shall see.

Puck Head
01-28-2016, 11:54 AM
The next generation of candidates won't be the 100 pt guys Since the lockout that group has pretty much been Crosby, Malkin and Ovechkin