PDA

View Full Version : Rumor/Report: Lightning Made Stamkos Offer Averaging $8.5M a Season

Phil in Absentia
01-23-2016, 10:46 PM
Steve Yzerman's got a lot of work to do in Tampa Bay, but he knows his priorities.

The Lightning general manager recently made a contract offer to pending unrestricted free agent Steven Stamkos that averaged $8.5 million per season, according to Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman, speaking on Saturday's "Headlines" segment on "Hockey Night in Canada."

Friedman said the offer was made "some time in the last few weeks."

Earlier this week, Friedman addressed the contract offer in his "30 Thoughts" column:

Obviously, it was not accepted, but it would be wrong to use the word "rejected." My sense is it's a negotiation point, an attempt to see where everyone stands.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/943958

Kevin
01-24-2016, 12:35 PM
If they can bring him in under 10 mil a year then they pulled off a mini-miracle.

Pete
01-24-2016, 12:52 PM
I think that's in line for a player like him. Kane and Toews have achieved more and should make more. It's not all about points.

Phil in Absentia
01-24-2016, 12:59 PM
I agree. I actaully think the $9M mark should be where he falls. Though if the old market holds true, he'll make $10.5M to $11M without much fuss. He has to hit the open market to do so, though.

Then again, depending on where he lands, I think Kypreos and Marek were right in saying that a team like the Leafs could get him to sign for less on an AAV because they can guarantee the market will make up for the lost dollars in corporate sponsorships that exist there, that don't in Tampa or other cities.

Karan
01-24-2016, 04:37 PM
$8.5M AAV is the best Yzerman can muster up? Enjoy July 1st Mr. Stamkos.

Dunny
01-24-2016, 05:24 PM
If he wanted to make money he should have stuck with baseball. I almost feel bad for these guys.