PDA

View Full Version : NHL Blows It, Reportedly 'Orchestrated' John Scott's ASG Exit; Update: WILL PLAY!

Phil in Absentia
01-15-2016, 07:19 PM
The big takeaway from the trade, according to McKenzie, is that the NHL pulled strings to make it happen, and thus solve The John Scott Problem.

:tweet: @TSNBobMcKenzie: John Scott was previously asked by both NHL and Arizona Coyotes to bow out of NHL All-Star Game. He refused. Trade likely takes care of that

:tweet: @NicholsOnHockey: McKenzie: "His inclusion in this trade, in my mind, was absolutely orchestrated to solve the All-Star issue for the league." #Habs #Coyotes

They'd already tried making that happen through a more benevolent, less nakedly ridiculous route, according to ESPN.com's Scott Burnside:

(ESPN.com) was told the NHL initially offered Scott an out from being a participant in the skills competition and in the 3-on-3 tournament by allowing him to attend as though he was an injured player, meeting with the media and attending the related events but not going onto the ice. But Scott declined, saying he wanted to be a full participant.

That'd have been something of a compromise, but — and this is what's important — Scott was A) voted in and B) wanted to go. The league should've accepted the results of the voting system they chose, safeguard against a repeat if they really felt it necessary and laughed their way through the weekend. Nobody would've thought all that much of it; it's been a topic of discussion on Hockey Twitter for weeks, and anecdotally, it seemed like most people had either warmed up to it or talked themselves out of caring all that much.

But now, the league has apparently managed to piss off a chunk of its fanbase and, maybe worse, activate the Streisand Effect. If you are a professional league, you cannot rig All-Star voting. To make things worse still, Scott's wife is apparently expecting twins in Arizona, he's unlikely to ever play for the Canadiens and, presumably, he's missing out on the All-Star bonus.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl-news/4691417-john-scott-nhl-all-star-game-2016-rosters-voting-results?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

--

He got hosed. Absolutely hosed.

I hope the ratings for this game fall through the floor for this.

RichieNextel305
01-15-2016, 07:41 PM
I was gonna tune into the ASG for the first time in awhile because of this. Now? No interest. The ASG sucks and this would have been entertaining.

Valriera
01-15-2016, 07:41 PM
Yep, that's seriously fucked up. Zero reason for him to ever be included in any trade. Silly.

Lt. Dan
01-15-2016, 07:53 PM
Wow. Says a lot when a guy like McKenzie has no problem saying he believes it was orchestrated. Not that it's anything new, but the NHL should be fucking ashamed of themselves. I get that John Scott isn't an all star, but he was voted in by the fans through a system the NHL made. Slap in the face to all the parties involved.

Captain Clutch
01-15-2016, 08:04 PM
NHL shoots itslef in the foot and their answer is to saw it off themselves.

Dunny
01-15-2016, 08:53 PM
Wow. This is absolutely awful. I would love to know who the people making the decisions are..

RichieNextel305
01-15-2016, 08:56 PM
This would have bought in some eyes. Just a stupid move from a stupid league.

Vodka Drunkenski
01-15-2016, 09:05 PM
What a joke, let's see how the league tries to backtrack, if they even try I should say.

Captain Clutch
01-15-2016, 09:14 PM
Basically what I get from the NHL is you can abuse/be abused, molest or rape, be involved in all sorts of shady stuff but god forbid you're a below average player in the All Star game they will make you disappear.

CreaseCrusader91
01-15-2016, 09:33 PM
Worst part is wife is expecting twins and now they relocate from AZ to Newfoundland. That's quite a trek. That and Scott misses out on chance to make some bonus money from the $1M purse. For a guy on limited contracts every little bit helps.

phillyb™
01-15-2016, 11:49 PM
i'd sooner watch an ASG with 3rd and 4th liners than all stars.
it'd make the whole thing entertaining.
and if it determined something in the playoffs (like baseball's all star game), it'd actually have merit.

like many times before though, the NHL fails in this instance.

Morphinity
01-16-2016, 12:27 AM
Pretty fucked up to make a guy move across the country just because he got voted into some stupid all star game.

Captain Clutch
01-16-2016, 01:23 AM
Pretty fucked up to make a guy move across the country just because he got voted into some stupid all star game.

His wife is expected to be having twins any day now as well.

Pete
01-16-2016, 07:34 AM
Basically what I get from the NHL is you can abuse/be abused, molest or rape, be involved in all sorts of shady stuff but god forbid you're a below average player in the All Star game they will make you disappear.
Wait, what?

Pete
01-16-2016, 07:35 AM
This league is so JV.

Mike
01-16-2016, 07:56 AM
I guess I'm the only one that doesn't see what they did as a bad thing. Lol

BlairBettsBlocksEverything
01-16-2016, 08:45 AM
Literally the only reason I'd watch the all star game. way to go NHL.

Karan
01-16-2016, 02:10 PM
This part was especially tough to read. Sounds like his family especially was really excited about it all.

"It's one of those things where I never thought I'd be able to get to go, so when I found out it was a possibility my family was like, ‘you have to go. It's going to be so cool,'" Scott said in a phone conversation with Puck Daddy last week. "They're excited for it -- probably more excited than I am. It'll be one of those ‘once-in-a-lifetime' experiences."

What a pathetic thing to do in an effort to boost ratings. If anything they could've spun this into a positive feel good story and then simply fixed the voting next year instead of making a mockery of it. Hopefully the ratings are worse than ever now.

Blue Heaven
01-16-2016, 02:15 PM
NHL should have just added another roster spot to both teams when they knew that John Scott was going to be in. Had no plans watching the All-Star Game anyway, stupid gimmick, this game is for the NHL and its sponsors anyway.

Dunny
01-16-2016, 02:19 PM
This league is so JV.

Yup, that's exactly the case.

Phil in Absentia
01-19-2016, 11:55 AM
:tweet: @TSN_Sports: NHL announces John Scott will captain the Pacific Division All-Stars at the 2016 https://t.co/EZTuX1TzbO

--

Yay!

ThirtyONE
01-19-2016, 11:56 AM
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=798493

NEW YORK – John Scott will captain the Pacific Division team at the 2016 Honda NHL All-Star Weekend in Nashville, the National Hockey League announced today.

Scott, elected to the Pacific Division captaincy in fan voting while a member of the Arizona Coyotes, was traded Friday to the Montreal Canadiens of the Atlantic Division. The resultant change in division, and Scott’s subsequent assignment to the American Hockey League, created a unique circumstance that required review – the result of which was a determination to maintain the status quo for the All-Star weekend in order to preserve all parties' pre-existing expectations, including Scott’s desire to participate.

"I am looking forward to enjoying a fun and unique experience at All-Star Weekend in Nashville with my family," said Scott. "While being voted to the All-Star Game by the fans was not something I expected to happen, I am excited to participate in the All-Star events with my fellow players."

I wonder if the NHL did this because they felt the media pressure?

phillyb™
01-19-2016, 11:58 AM
fuck yes!
good on them.
let him go this year and change the voting next year. don't fuck this guy over because of the stupid fan-voting.

i wonder the same shit and i kind of hope it was the media.
haven't checked in a few days, but all of the comments on their IG pics have been #freejohnscott

Morphinity
01-19-2016, 12:01 PM
The amount of hooplah this shit caused is both funny and disturbing.

Phil in Absentia
01-19-2016, 12:18 PM
The amount of hooplah this shit caused is both funny and disturbing.

Why? I think it's pretty clear the fans supported this, and the NHL tried to torpedo it, underestimating their own fanbase, as they often do.

Future
01-19-2016, 12:18 PM
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=798493

I wonder if the NHL did this because they felt the media pressure?
Almost certainly, I'd say.

Morphinity
01-19-2016, 12:23 PM
Why? I think it's pretty clear the fans supported this, and the NHL tried to torpedo it, underestimating their own fanbase, as they often do.

No, I'm talking about the people trying to vilify the fans who voted him and the people who orchestrated it. They saw the Scott trade as some sort of victory.

Phil in Absentia
01-19-2016, 12:55 PM
No, I'm talking about the people trying to vilify the fans who voted him and the people who orchestrated it. They saw the Scott trade as some sort of victory.

Ah, gotcha. Misunderstood.

We agree.

Scott was voted in, joke or not, and he should play. The fact the NHL tried to torpedo it was the real joke. Honor your system and change it next year so this doesn't happen again.

Then again, I think it's hilarious that John Scott of all people has more people wanting to watch the game this year than in like the last decade plus.

Captain Clutch
01-19-2016, 01:02 PM
The NHL underestimates their fans and their presence on social media of all forms. Hockey has to have the largest social media presence and impact of any league.

CreaseCrusader91
01-19-2016, 01:30 PM
I really hope Scott stages a fake fight with someone like Jagr off opening face off as a gag.

Pete
01-20-2016, 01:34 AM
This waffling is just stupid already.

Phil in Absentia
01-22-2016, 10:15 AM
:tweet: @NicholsOnHockey: "This is a nastier story than I think we really even know. I think some of these conversations were pretty ugly." #Habs #Coyotes 2/2

--

This is a quote from Elliotte Friedman on the John Scott situation

Lt. Dan
01-22-2016, 10:49 AM
:tweet: @NicholsOnHockey: "This is a nastier story than I think we really even know. I think some of these conversations were pretty ugly." #Habs #Coyotes 2/2

--

This is a quote from Elliotte Friedman on the John Scott situation

Looks incomplete?

I am Scags
01-22-2016, 11:18 AM
I'm a little late to the party on this and just caught up to speed because the national sports news has caught onto this story and has been covering it quite strongly.

I absolutely LOVE this whole thing on so many levels!

I love how stupid and foolish it made this league look; not only on the fact that the league put so much emphasis on a stupid scrimmage but the fact that they tried to bury one of their own for such petty stupid reasons.
I love how the fans came together and orchestrated this. It just highlights the fact of how meaningless any All Star exhibition really is and how the league showed its two faces in plain sight
I love how a player known all his career as goon and anything but your prototypical all star has taken this whole thing in stride with class and dignity

sg3
01-22-2016, 11:21 AM
Wait

They had a way to keep this undeserving no talent goon out

And theyve decided to let the bum back in??

Unbelievable

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

I am Scags
01-22-2016, 11:29 AM
Wait

They had a way to keep this undeserving no talent goon out

And theyve decided to let the bum back in??

Unbelievable

sorry but the only stupid bums I see in this whole foolish masquerade is this ridiculous league

Phil in Absentia
01-22-2016, 11:32 AM
Looks incomplete?

No, first tweet was just Nichols saying that Friedman had "an interesting final line just now in a brief, 30 second discussion on the John Scott All-Star situation".

The quote itself is complete.

sg3
01-22-2016, 12:02 PM
sorry but the only stupid bums I see in this whole foolish masquerade is this ridiculous league
Never said he was a stupid bum

Just a no talent goon who should never be allowed within 50 miles of an all star game no less be a Captain

But you are right

The NHL is stupid for allowing idiotic fan voting for this game

Mentosman42
01-22-2016, 12:21 PM
The funniest thing to me is that the league never saw this coming. People tried to do the same thing in 07 with Fitzpatrick, you would think that they would realize this is going to become a problem because people love to have spoof candidates and such.

I am Scags
01-22-2016, 02:07 PM
Never said he was a stupid bum

Just a no talent goon who should never be allowed within 50 miles of an all star game no less be a Captain

But you are right

The NHL is stupid for allowing idiotic fan voting for this game

Well, I guess where we differ is that I as fan have absolutely zero interest or use for the NHL all star game and every major sports all star game for that matter. To me with the advent of full TV coverage and the internet where we can choose to see stars at any moment that decades ago we could not see unless they came to your home city, that there is little use for the game itself.
Don't get me wrong, keep the skills competitions because those are great and players legitimately try in those, but name your best players who made the list and be done with it, spare us the meaningless hard to watch game where absolutely zero effort is induced.

And I don't think the league is idiotic for allowing fan votes. MLB and the NBA also allow their fans to vote for their respective all star teams. Where I take issue with the NHL is their backtracking and actually having the gall to allow fans to vote, then welch on it and say that the guy they picked can't go because he isn't deemed a worthy player in the game.

Phil in Absentia
01-22-2016, 02:08 PM
The funniest thing to me is that the league never saw this coming. People tried to do the same thing in 07 with Fitzpatrick, you would think that they would realize this is going to become a problem because people love to have spoof candidates and such.

Not just Fitzpatrick — also with Komisarek and all the Canadiens making the starting line-up in 2009, the Rangers with Girardi in 2012, etc.

It seems every year there is a push for an otherwise undeserving candidate becuase the game itself is largely not respected.

I am Scags
01-22-2016, 02:14 PM
Well, I guess where we differ is that I as fan have absolutely zero interest or use for the NHL all star game and every major sports all star game for that matter. To me with the advent of full TV coverage and the internet where we can choose to see stars at any moment that decades ago we could not see unless they came to your home city, that there is little use for the game itself.
Don't get me wrong, keep the skills competitions because those are great and players legitimately try in those, but name your best players who made the list and be done with it, spare us the meaningless hard to watch game where absolutely zero effort is induced.

And I don't think the league is idiotic for allowing fan votes. MLB and the NBA also allow their fans to vote for their respective all star teams. Where I take issue with the NHL is their backtracking and actually having the gall to allow fans to vote, then welch on it and say that the guy they picked can't go because he isn't deemed a worthy player in the game.

What's also funny is that now that the league made such a big to do about this, you know the fans will conspire more and more if the format stays as is. If you don't want John Scott in your all star game then don't leave the voting entirely to the fans, simple

Captain Clutch
01-22-2016, 04:31 PM
NHL looks worse and worse everyday because of this. But it is deserving.

Phil in Absentia
01-22-2016, 05:16 PM
What's also funny is that now that the league made such a big to do about this, you know the fans will conspire more and more if the format stays as is. If you don't want John Scott in your all star game then don't leave the voting entirely to the fans, simple

Fan voting itself isn't an issue. I mean, I guess it is, but it's a small one. It's why they did this that matters. It was a form of protest in direct response to the NHL continuing to put on a largely unwatchable, boring event.

Unless that gets ironed out somehow, either by cancelling or replacing the ASG, or by somehow sparking real interest in it so the players actually give a fuck when they get sent to it, this apathetic audience is just going to get worse.

Kevin
01-22-2016, 05:50 PM
Fan voting itself isn't an issue. I mean, I guess it is, but it's a small one. It's why they did this that matters. It was a form of protest in direct response to the NHL continuing to put on a largely unwatchable, boring event.

Unless that gets ironed out somehow, either by cancelling or replacing the ASG, or by somehow sparking real interest in it so the players actually give a fuck when they get sent to it, this apathetic audience is just going to get worse.

Personally I think the majority did it as a joke and didn't really give any thought to the reasons that they did it. Did you see something that makes you think it was a protest type of action? I don't really care one way or another that he's in it or not. My only issue would be if I played for Arizona and was having an All-Star caliber year and this "joke" cost me a spot.

Phil in Absentia
01-22-2016, 09:17 PM
Personally I think the majority did it as a joke and didn't really give any thought to the reasons that they did it. Did you see something that makes you think it was a protest type of action? I don't really care one way or another that he's in it or not. My only issue would be if I played for Arizona and was having an All-Star caliber year and this "joke" cost me a spot.

It was started by both the Marek v. Wyshynski podcast and Steve Dangle's podcast, and both turned the volume up in rallying fans around doing so because it would be ridiculous, which was in direct response to how boring the game has been for years.

Respecttheblue
01-22-2016, 09:23 PM
Yep, that's seriously fucked up. Zero reason for him to ever be included in any trade. Silly.

Fuck the BettmanHL if it's true.

Kevin
01-22-2016, 09:37 PM
It was started by both the Marek v. Wyshynski podcast and Steve Dangle's podcast, and both turned the volume up in rallying fans around doing so because it would be ridiculous, which was in direct response to how boring the game has been for years.

Got ya. I never listened to those podcasts.