PDA

View Full Version : Confirmed: LAK Re-Sign [C] Anze Kopitar to 8-Year/$80M Extension; $10M AAV

Phil in Absentia
01-13-2016, 12:34 PM
:tweet: @LAKings: Count it! That’s eight more years for Anze Kopitar in a #LAKings uniform.
OFFICIAL >> https://t.co/0OgNxt93ag https://t.co/nvRPFwUH02

:tweet: @DarrenDreger: Kopitar year by year: $14 mil, $13 mil, $12 mil, $11mil, $8mil, $8mil,$7mil,$7 mil. No move clause immediately and first 4 yrs.

:tweet: @DarrenDreger: Last 4 yrs of Kopitar extension protected by limited no trade clause.

:tweet: @reporterchris: Anze Kopitar extension by season, starting with 2016-17:

$9M sb/$5M salary
$9M sb/$4M salary
$12M
$11M
$8M
$8M
$7M
$7M

DiJock94
01-13-2016, 01:01 PM
These 8 figure cap hits make me sick

Phil in Absentia
01-13-2016, 01:04 PM
It's the wave of the future. I was like a broken record about this all through the last lockout when the NHL was adamant about contract term (the hill they'll die on). The moment that was reality, I was shouting from the rooftops that league salary averages were about to go through the roof, becuase teams could no longer tack on dummy years to deals to artificially lower the average.

DiJock94
01-13-2016, 01:09 PM
How are teams suppose to field a decent team with players being this greedy? Half of NHL players are going to end up being league minimum AHL players

Phil in Absentia
01-13-2016, 01:13 PM
It'll be tough, but they'll figure it out. This type of payout is going to be reserved for the leagues' absolute premiere players. Most stars will still likely sign around the $7-8M per season mark.

It just puts that much more of an emphasis on drafting well, so you constantly have a new rotation of cost-controlled, ELC or second-year players to fall back on. It'll teach teams not to give their 4/5/6 D or third-line players much money at all.

Faiz
01-13-2016, 02:13 PM
Stamkos is probably excited hearing this, using this as one of the benchmarks, his next contract will be upwards of $10mil guaranteed, if it wasn't already.

Phil in Absentia
01-13-2016, 02:14 PM
I think it was already guaranteed because of Kane and Toews. He's probably getting a little more, to be honest. Closer to $11M.

Faiz
01-13-2016, 02:33 PM
Definitely, it's a salary cap league.
Toews, Kane at 8 year $84mil.
Kopitar rumored at $10mil.
Crosby at $12mil, Malkin at $9.5mil.
Giroux at $10mil.
Getzlaf at $9.25

All point to Stamkos having a big payday.

Johnnydollaz18
01-13-2016, 02:37 PM
Dimitri Filipovic @DimFilipovic

5 years from now Kings will have ~32M tied up in a 33 YO Kopitar, 36 YO Carter, 36 YO Dustin Brown, 35 YO Jon Quick, 39 YO Marian Gaborik.

Yikes. One of them has to be moved.

Faiz
01-13-2016, 02:46 PM
I'd assume Kopitar gets a NMC/NTC.
Dustin Brown has a limited NTC.

I'd assume they'd ship Gaborik out before his value completely depletes. But yeah, Kings are tied up in a lot of contracts. Dustin Brown and Carter through to end of '21-'22. Gaborik till end of '20-'21, Quick until 22-23 I believe.

Future
01-13-2016, 02:55 PM
How are teams suppose to field a decent team with players being this greedy? Half of NHL players are going to end up being league minimum AHL players
Stop signing ridiculous contracts. No way Kopitar is worth $10m on a team that has about a maximum 2 year window to win another cup

Faiz
01-13-2016, 03:46 PM
Stop signing ridiculous contracts. No way Kopitar is worth $10m on a team that has about a maximum 2 year window to win another cup

When you look at players around the league of their caliber and compare contracts, the money they get should be around the same.

A good example would be Claude Giroux, both are 28 years old, and have put up roughly the same numbers throughout their careers. Kopitar has 2 more seasons experience, and is a vet who's won the cup twice, scoring 20+ points in both of those runs (albeit his goal scoring could have been better, 8 and 5 in 2011-12 and 2013-14 playoff runs respectively)

Claude Giroux is getting paid $10mil AAV. So you'd expect Kopitar to get near the same, if not more. And Giroux is just one comparison around the league. (see list above, post #8)

And I get the point you are trying to make, Kings have a limited window and signing a "ridiculous" contract may not be considered a smart move. Comparisons aside, a major factor here is what are others willing to pay for Kopitar, and you know people will pay him. If they don't sign him, someone else will. And now their window of winning another cup has just went from a few years to possibly none.

Phil in Absentia
01-13-2016, 03:48 PM
When you look at players around the league of their caliber and compare contracts, the money they get should be around the same.

A good example would be Claude Giroux, both are 28 years old, and have put up roughly the same numbers throughout their careers. Kopitar has 2 more seasons experience, and is a vet who's won the cup twice, scoring 20+ points in both of those runs (albeit his goal scoring could have been better, 8 and 5 in 2011-12 and 2013-14 playoff runs respectively)

Claude Giroux is getting paid $10mil AAV. So you'd expect Kopitar to get near the same, if not more. And Giroux is just one comparison around the league. (see list above, post #8)

And I get the point you are trying to make, Kings have a limited window and signing a "ridiculous" contract may not be considered a smart move. Comparisons aside, a major factor here is what are others willing to pay for Kopitar, and you know people will pay him. If they don't sign him, someone else will. And now their window of winning another cup has just went from a few years to possibly none.

Giroux is getting paid $8.275M in AAV. He's making $10M in actaul salary this season.

Slobberknocker
01-13-2016, 04:21 PM
this will serve to bring more parity on the league and will serve to benefit teams that draft well and can continue to integrate cost controlled players.

It should force a team like the Rangers to build the right way as long as the salary cap continues to just grind higher.

Faiz
01-13-2016, 05:32 PM
Giroux is getting paid $8.275M in AAV. He's making $10M in actaul salary this season.

Sorry, my numbers got sloppy when I rushed it. Thanks for pointing it out.

Puck Head
01-13-2016, 05:43 PM
That's a lot of money for a player like him.
And that's not even my issue, my biggest issue would be for the years they are covering, (age 29-37).

In comparison to other large contracts and what age they signed.
Kane (25)
Toews (26)
Giroux (25)
Ovechkin (22)
Malkin (26)
Crosby (25)

Phil in Absentia
01-13-2016, 06:38 PM
That's a lot of money for a player like him.
And that's not even my issue, my biggest issue would be for the years they are covering, (age 29-37).

In comparison to other large contracts and what age they signed.
Kane (25)
Toews (26)
Giroux (25)
Ovechkin (22)
Malkin (26)
Crosby (25)

They're stuck, though. What choice do they have — watch someone else pay it and be Kopitar-less?

Looks to me like they are gonna bank on the first four-to-six years, hoping that he can remain this type of competior over that span. The last two suck, but they're a requirement for the first six.

DiJock94
01-13-2016, 06:45 PM
This makes me appreciate the stepan and brassard deals that much more

CreaseCrusader91
01-13-2016, 09:31 PM
The term is the only kicker. $10M for the best offensive two-way center in the league isn't that bad.

Pete
01-13-2016, 11:27 PM
Dog of a contract.

ThirtyONE
01-16-2016, 01:06 AM
Bad deal. Kopitar is not in the same category as Kane and Toews.

Phil in Absentia
01-16-2016, 02:51 PM
:tweet: @LAKings: Count it! That’s eight more years for Anze Kopitar in a #LAKings uniform.
OFFICIAL >> https://t.co/0OgNxt93ag https://t.co/nvRPFwUH02

:tweet: @DarrenDreger: Kopitar year by year: $14 mil, $13 mil, $12 mil, $11mil, $8mil, $8mil,$7mil,$7 mil. No move clause immediately and first 4 yrs.

:tweet: @DarrenDreger: Last 4 yrs of Kopitar extension protected by limited no trade clause.

:tweet: @reporterchris: Anze Kopitar extension by season, starting with 2016-17:

$9M sb/$5M salary
$9M sb/$4M salary
$12M
$11M
$8M
$8M
$7M
$7M

Karan
01-16-2016, 05:46 PM
His cap hit is above market value no doubt but it all comes down to how much value he adds to the Kings. The guy has helped them win 2 cups and consistently leads the team in scoring. I would've expected him to take bit of a hometown discount though...

Phil in Absentia
01-16-2016, 05:58 PM
His cap hit is above market value no doubt but it all comes down to how much value he adds to the Kings. The guy has helped them win 2 cups and consistently leads the team in scoring. I would've expected him to take bit of a hometown discount though...

Nearly non-existant in the NHL.

Karan
01-16-2016, 06:26 PM
Well his agent sure did a hell of a job squeezing Lombardi real good on this one.

Cash or Czech?
01-16-2016, 06:31 PM
At least these contracts seem to be ending when they are younger, though that's also because of the 7/8 year contract cap. He's signed until he's 36. That's the going rate for a 2nd tier NHL center.

Pete
01-16-2016, 06:49 PM
Huh? $10 million is the going rate for 2nd tier? Since when?

Cash or Czech?
01-17-2016, 12:13 PM
Huh? $10 million is the going rate for 2nd tier? Since when?

I was talking length of contract, not money.

Respecttheblue
01-17-2016, 05:38 PM
It's the wave of the future. I was like a broken record about this all through the last lockout when the NHL was adamant about contract term (the hill they'll die on). The moment that was reality, I was shouting from the rooftops that league salary averages were about to go through the roof, becuase teams could no longer tack on dummy years to deals to artificially lower the average.

Ugh. he's 28 already. Is this going to be another Lecavalier type situation. Hope we don't do this. Umm someone remind me what did we do with Nash? Not this crazy I don't think, right?

CreaseCrusader91
01-17-2016, 05:49 PM
Ugh. he's 28 already. Is this going to be another Lecavalier type situation. Hope we don't do this. Umm someone remind me what did we do with Nash? Not this crazy I don't think, right?

Lecavalier was never as good defensively as Kopitar is. He's likely to be a valuable player for the majority of this deal because of the overall game he plays. Even if the offense dips from where he is now into the 40-50 range he's still dominant defensively, winning face offs, possessing the puck and killing penalties.

Phil in Absentia
01-17-2016, 05:50 PM

The Rangers didn't sign Nash — Columbus did. The Rangers just traded for him.

Dunny
01-17-2016, 06:04 PM
Nash contract is pretty good, mostly because there's only 2 years left on it.