• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What Are Your Favourite Sports Movies?

Faiz

Most of them, honeslty. Cheesy as they are, they're just good time-killers and they're great movies if you just wanna kill a couple hours and not really think too hard.

Gridiorn Gang, all the Mighty Ducks movies, Miracle, Mystery Alaska, Rookie of the Year, Moneyball, Major League, Invincible, The Rookie, Cool Runnings, Coach Carter, We Are Marshall, The Replacements, Little Giants, etc.

Major League is probably my favorite. Baseball movies in general make up my favorite sports movies. I don't know why but that sport translates better than the others to film. Boxing movies do too. There have been so many good boxing movies going all the way back to the 30's.

So much more than in real life. Moneyball is one of my favorites ever.

Was that a documentary or an actual movie? I wanted to watch but kind of forgot about it.

the don cherry thing?

it was definitely a movie with characters. there are four total and i think they're all around 90 minutes each.

keep your head up kid: the don cherry story

and

wrath of grapes: the don cherry story II

Miracle, Rocky (I and II), Goon, Field of Dreams, The Natural, and the Mighty Ducks are all good. I've probably missed a few, but in terms of hollywood sports movies, i haven't watched many, especially recently.

As for documentaries, you can't go wrong with the ESPN Films 30 for 30 (or sometimes just ESPN Films). So many good ones. Some of my favorites are: June 17, 1994, You don't know Bo, Broke, The U parts 1 and 2, Of Miracles and Men, Small Potatoes, Kings Ransom, the Fab 5, and a few more. As someone who loves sports history, this series is just awesome.

Staples like what's already been mentioned.

But can't forget Slapshot because - albeit a cliche pick - it's classic . Also, The Rocket (Maurice Richard) - while having some cheesy moments - was nicely shot. Plus includes a cameo from this guy:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ApbVkpmqIx0/VMaaXQ8TxWI/AAAAAAAADtI/gF3BK2hO37g/s1600/image0011.jpg

rvbcaboose mentioned documentaries earlier. Hoop Dreams was good. And the 30 for 30s he mentioned were all good. Plus, Bernie and Ernie (Knicks), Steve Bartman, (Once Brothers)Divac/Petrovic were worthy watches.

• 2 months later...

Archived