PDA

View Full Version : Is Stamkos to Toronto This Years' Vanek to Minnesota?

Phil in Absentia
12-15-2015, 05:27 PM
You can't turn your head without seeing/reading another article either outright predicting Stamkos signing with Toronto this summer or strongly hinting at the possiblity he might. I won't link them all here. Just this one:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2015/12/15/steven-stamkos-toronto-maple-leafs-tampa-bay-lightning/77376968/

I don't think this one is as sure-fire as Vanek/Minnesota was—arguably the worst kept secret in hockey of the last decade—but I do think this story will probably pretend to be the rest of the year.

Interestingly enough, McKenzie fanned the flames a bit this afternoon, hinting that Stamkos would probably be intrigued by the position the Habs are in, should they fall short of winning the Cup this spring...

:tweet: @Hope_Smoke: Mckenzie mentions Habs as team that would be an interest for Stamkos due to pieces currently there and possibility of winning.

Cash or Czech?
12-15-2015, 06:14 PM
The Habs definitely make more sense. It depends on what the Lightning would want in a trade, because the Leafs and Habs are in entirely different situations and Stamkos probably wants to win now. He'd be in a group of talented centers with Galchenyuk and Plekanec in Montreal, that's for sure.

Phil in Absentia
12-15-2015, 06:54 PM
:tweet: @DarrenDreger: Intrigued by the Stamkos buzz. My sense...if he leaves TB it won't be about $ and his top priority will be to go to a team ready to win.

RichieNextel305
12-15-2015, 09:44 PM
Not even close. This is more LeBron to the Knicks in 2010 then Vanek to Minny.

Vodka Drunkenski
12-16-2015, 07:42 AM
He'll follow the $, they always do

Lt. Dan
12-16-2015, 08:27 AM
He'll follow the $, they always do

You think? I just don't see him signing with a team that's years away from winning just for the money..

Dunny
12-16-2015, 09:15 AM
Well his offer will be really close to the same no matter where he goes. Toronto could offer a max deal, and they probably will.

Phil in Absentia
12-16-2015, 11:07 AM
"It doesn't feel that weird," said Stamkos after his team's 5-4 overtime win over the Leafs. "Did it feel weird for you guys? I don't think there was any difference once the puck dropped. I always like coming to see friends and family. It's exciting that way. But to be honest, it really felt like any other game.''

Does anyone really buy that? Especially after it came less than a week after his Twitter mishap involving "liking" a TSN question asking whether he should join the Leafs after the season.

Sorry, this was no ordinary homecoming.

The evening began with arena security barring fans from bringing in signs that read "Sign Stamkos." The hitch, according to Leafs p.r., is that the signs were produced by local radio station TSN 1050, not an official authorized partner of the hockey team. OK, then.

Minutes after Vladislav Namestikov's OT winner for Tampa, some fans in the Air Canada Centre nose bleeds could be heard chanting, "We want Stamkos!”

Did his usage in the playoffs, when he played wing for a while instead of his natural center, really aggravate him that much? Did that really make him reconsider his future with the Lightning? Or has this been more about a game plan with Newport Sports to patiently maximize his options? Will Stamkos -- armed with a no-movement clause -- seek a resolution before the Feb. 29 trade deadline or play out the season and decide afterward?

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/14379575/nhl-tampa-bay-lightning-star-steven-stamkos-play-toronto-next-season

Phil in Absentia
12-16-2015, 02:32 PM
If there is one take-away for me from a week or so of Stammerama in the self-proclaimed Centre of the Hockey Universe, it is as follows:

Steven Stamkos won't be playing for the Tampa Bay Lightning next season.

I can't say that ‎unequivocally, with 100 per cent, dead-set certainty, because, you know, never say never, there's always a chance, blah blah blah...

But c'mon, if Stamkos and the Bolts were going to live happily ever after they'd be at least a little cozied up by now, sort of like where it currently stands with Anze Kopitar and the Los Angeles Kings.

Stamkos and the Lightning aren't even holding hands. ‎Absent a lightning bolt out of the blue, they're not going to either.

http://www.tsn.ca/all-signs-point-to-stamkos-leaving-tampa-1.410192