PDA

View Full Version : Rumor/Report: Maple Leafs to Get New Logo and Uniforms in 2016

Phil in Absentia
12-13-2015, 04:17 PM
Sports uniform expert Chris Creamer is reporting that the Maple Leafs can be expected to don all-new gear next season in conjunction with the team’s centennial anniversary. When reached, an MLSE spokesman declined comment on the report, telling Sportsnet “We will be announcing centennial plans in the new year.”

Toronto’s logo has not seen a major change since 1970 and the team has been using the current iteration since 1987.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CWHSg3MU4AA4OMg.jpg:large

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/report-maple-leafs-to-get-new-logo-and-uniforms-in-2016/

!br-avery!
12-13-2015, 06:25 PM
the 4th one was always my favorite

CreaseCrusader91
12-13-2015, 08:07 PM
Unpopular opinion, I would like if the Rangers followed suit.

McDougalfaschnitzer
12-14-2015, 01:35 AM

Same.

sg3
12-14-2015, 05:29 AM
Unpopular opinion, I would like if the Rangers followed suit.
We tried that once under Ferguson. Fortunately Shero restored tradition

phillyb™
12-14-2015, 10:45 AM

it looks great. didn't they put that on their alternate or outdoor jerseys recently?

Future
12-14-2015, 11:21 AM
We can't expect anything significant I don't think. Their logo is still a leaf, and they'll always be blue and white.

Phil in Absentia
12-14-2015, 11:23 AM
We can't expect anything significant I don't think. Their logo is still a leaf, and they'll always be blue and white.

Maybe. They changed it pretty significantly out of the '05 lockout.

Future
12-14-2015, 12:15 PM
Maybe. They changed it pretty significantly out of the '05 lockout.
Changed what? The logo has been the same since 1988.

The changed the uni a little bit in 2007, but it was nothing significant.

2000-2007:
http://www.nhluniforms.com/MapleLeafs/Images/MapleLeafs43.png
2007-2008:
http://www.nhluniforms.com/MapleLeafs/Images/MapleLeafs46.png

Phil in Absentia
12-14-2015, 12:58 PM
For a team like Toronto, that's significant change.

BlairBettsBlocksEverything
12-14-2015, 01:10 PM
"New Year New Me!"

Phil in Absentia
02-02-2016, 10:21 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaQmAAgVAAAA6pb.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/icethetics/status/694722024657154048

--

Marlies sharing in the change:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaQl8Y8WIAQgY-g.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/mirtle/status/694722050594881540

Future
02-03-2016, 10:14 AM
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

RichieNextel305
02-03-2016, 10:28 AM
I love the Leafs logo.

Future
02-03-2016, 11:43 AM
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--0uJJv7rn--/sbfnvc8atjhjq5jcen26.jpg

Phil in Absentia
02-03-2016, 12:24 PM
I think it's fantastic. Wonderfully classic. With a franchise like the Leafs, you can't expect overnight change, like them coming out with a bull for a logo and a brand new color scheme of orange and gray, for example. They have a tradition to speak to and respect. But the logo feels great. A lot more organic than the current version.

Future
02-03-2016, 12:28 PM
I think it's fantastic. Wonderfully classic. With a franchise like the Leafs, you can't expect overnight change, like them coming out with a bull for a logo and a brand new color scheme of orange and gray, for example. They have a tradition to speak to and respect. But the logo feels great. A lot more organic than the current version.
What do you mean organic? There are butt cheeks on the bottom.

ThirtyONE
02-03-2016, 12:44 PM
So it's the same as the 00-07 logo?

Puck Head
02-03-2016, 01:27 PM

Along with Habs, and maybe Blackhawks, IMO the best logo in pro sports.
I wanted to play for the Maple Leafs growing up due to that logo and jersey

Phil in Absentia
02-03-2016, 02:50 PM
What do you mean organic? There are butt cheeks on the bottom.

As in derived from living matter. It's a more literal, realistic representation of an actual leaf, which is a nice change of pace from the blocky, stylized version they've been working with for years now.

Future
02-03-2016, 04:49 PM
As in derived from living matter. It's a more literal, realistic representation of an actual leaf, which is a nice change of pace from the blocky, stylized version they've been working with for years now.
lol I know, I was kidding

Pete
02-04-2016, 09:15 AM
Why is tradition OK for the Leafs and not the Rangers?

ThirtyONE
02-04-2016, 11:04 AM

I was wondering the same thing. I've never understood some fan's call for new uniforms and/or branding.

Phil in Absentia
02-04-2016, 11:26 AM

You're conflating the issue. I said they have a history and tradition to adhere and respect. The same as the Rangers. It's just as unrealistic for me to expect a branding overhaul for the Rangers for exactly the same reasons, even if I personally wish they would. Just because I don't really like the brand very much.

Every arbitrary six team is subject to the same legacy limitations. In fact, probably most teams prior to the '92 expansion. It's why the only teams who've really done it are relatively new. Jackets, Stars, Panthers, Sabres, etc.

Phil in Absentia
02-04-2016, 11:27 AM
I was wondering the same thing. I've never understood some fan's call for new uniforms and/or branding.

So ask. I've been the driving voice behind rebranding the Rangers for years. No need to passive aggressively question "some fans". Just ask me. I'll be happy to answer.

Future
02-04-2016, 11:45 AM
You're conflating the issue. I said they have a history and tradition to adhere and respect. The same as the Rangers. It's just as unrealistic for me to expect a branding overhaul for the Rangers for exactly the same reasons, even if I personally wish they would. Just because I don't really like the brand very much.

Every arbitrary six team is subject to the same legacy limitations. In fact, probably most teams prior to the '92 expansion. It's why the only teams who've really done it are relatively new. Jackets, Stars, Panthers, Sabres, etc.
Generally, I agree, but the Capitals, Kings, Sabres and Canucks have gone through pretty heavy re-branding but joined the league in the early 70s.

You're right that teams aren't leaving their traditional unis, but the point only stands for Original 6 teams.

Phil in Absentia
02-04-2016, 11:50 AM
Generally, I agree, but the Capitals, Kings, Sabres and Canucks have gone through pretty heavy re-branding but joined the league in the early 70s. You're right that teams aren't leaving their traditional unis, but the point only stands for Original 6 teams.

I'm speaking to generalities. Arbitrary Six teams are the most adherent to that kind of brand loyalty and rarely, if ever, waver. Newer franchises still trying to establish their brand are more open to overhauls. Again, generally speaking.

Future
02-04-2016, 11:59 AM
I'm speaking to generalities. Arbitrary Six teams are the most adherent to that kind of brand loyalty and rarely, if ever, waver. Newer franchises still trying to establish their brand are more open to overhauls. Again, generally speaking.
Yea. But I think "newer" stops after Original 6, is all I'm saying. Like, the Jets are no more likely to re-brand than, say, the Isles (who I think are, inevitably, going to).

McDougalfaschnitzer
02-05-2016, 01:10 AM
So ask. I've been the driving voice behind rebranding the Rangers for years. No need to passive aggressively question "some fans". Just ask me. I'll be happy to answer.

I'd be interested to see if any concepts could be better than the current one. All of the proposals I've seen have looked amateurish and none could carry any of the gravitas needed to match the current look.

Phil in Absentia
02-05-2016, 07:54 AM
I'd be interested to see if any concepts could be better than the current one. All of the proposals I've seen have looked amateurish and none could carry any of the gravitas needed to match the current look.

I was always a fan of darkening the colors. Think Heritage. Navy blue, a richer red and either white or one of those tanned tones they went with.

I'm not sure you can change the horizontal letters, but just updating the actual jersey designs would go a long way.

Also. The road numbers need to change, badly. The red/blue combo with the two-tone base they have is painful to read. White needs to be the number color base. Red or blue the second tone. Having two primary colors that close strains the eye.