PDA

View Full Version : Article: Patrick O'Sullivan: Black & Blue

Future
12-09-2015, 10:32 AM
Incredible on a number of levels.

But even in my own home, the abuse was ignored. Iíll never forget this moment when I was 10 years old. I was about to leave the house for a game when my mother pulled me aside and whispered, ďYou better play well out there today, because if you donít, itís going to be bad tonight.Ē

Itís so ironic, because the hockey community loves to talk about toughness and courage. In that world, courage is supposed to mean standing in front of a slap shot without flinching, or taking your lumps in a fight.

But thatís easy. Thatís not real courage. Anybody can do that.

I guarantee you thereís hundreds of kids across North America who will get dressed for hockey this weekend with their stomach turning, thinking the same thing I did as a kid:

ďI better play really good there, or tonight is going to be really bad.Ē

It just takes one person to act on their instinct and stand up for that child. Thatís real courage. The kind we donít always glorify in the hockey world.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/patrick-osullivan-nhl-abuse/

Phil in Absentia
12-09-2015, 10:56 AM
This is gut-wrenching.

Morphinity
12-09-2015, 11:26 AM
Just terrible. Always had the crazy hockey dads in my time playing youth hockey, but I never (at least in my naive mind) suspected anyone of being physically abused.

Lt. Dan
12-09-2015, 11:31 AM
I don't even know what to say after reading that. Fuck people :(

Future
12-09-2015, 12:17 PM
He actually published a book about this a while ago as well, might go a bit more in-depth. Kind of forgot about it after it came out, probably an interesting read.

http://www.harpercollins.com/9781443444668/breaking-away

ThirtyONE
12-09-2015, 05:21 PM
Good god. Like someone else mentioned, I grew up playing with and against some LUNATIC parents but as a kid I didn't even consider they were actually beating their kids. When I think back on it, some of them probably were....

There was a fight midgets and one of the parents on our team yelled out to his son, "Kick him with your skate, Chris!" It takes some kind of maniac to say something like that.

Mike
12-09-2015, 07:50 PM
This is beyond extreme. I've been around hockey and rinks for 30+ years, and never heard anything to this extent. Being in a rink 4-5 days a week for the last 8 years, you'd think you've heard it all. Then there's this story. Wow.