PDA

View Full Version : [LeBrun] "Bye Weeks" Coming For The 2016-2017 Season

Morphinity
11-20-2015, 04:44 PM
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/14173014/nhl-implement-bye-weeks-teams-2016-17-season

The NHL will work in a five-day "bye week" next season as part of the negotiation with the NHL Players' Association to sign off on the All-Star format changes announced this week, according to sources.

In an important gain for the players, which they got in return for accepting the three-on-three All-Star Game format, the league will build in a five-day bye week for each team into their schedule between Jan. 1 and Feb. 28 next season, sources told ESPN.com.

Interesting this was a bargaining chip used by the PA, in return for approving 3-on-3 ASG.

Kinda lame, but I see the merit. The Rangers already have this basically every year with their crazy scheduling.

Captain Clutch
11-20-2015, 04:57 PM
The Rangers seem to always have 3-5 days between games so I guess we'll be used to it but the NHLPA is really fighting for less playing time. Shorter camps, shorter pre season, bye weeks.

ThirtyONE
11-20-2015, 05:38 PM
I mean, the rangers have weeks off at a time so it really won't change anything. If I was the NHLPA I'd be trying to get rid of back to back games rather than creating more.

NYR2711
11-22-2015, 10:04 AM
I don't like this because if a team is hot,and then hits the bye week, it takes some momentum away from the team, plus, not playing a game for 5 days can get a player a little rusty or off his game slightly. Its not like this is baseball where they play 4 games in a row.