PDA

View Full Version : [TSN] New Collar Technology Aims To Curb Concussions

CreaseCrusader91
11-20-2015, 10:56 AM
http://www.tsn.ca/polopoly_fs/1.396340.1447947915!/fileimage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_620/concussion-prevention-band.jpg

Performance Sports Group, the parent company of Bauer Hockey, unveiled the latest device on Tuesday: a band worn on the neck that it believes could ultimately reduce the number of concussions in sports by addressing the “slosh theory.”Slosh is the movement of the brain, which is floating in cerebrospinal fluid inside the skull. When the head experiences an impact, the brain sloshes inside the skull and can rotate or strike the inside walls of the cranium, often tearing brain fibres.
The band constricts the outflow of blood from the head by applying light pressure to the jugular veins in the neck. That results in a mild increase in blood volume in the skull, which theoretically creates less room for the brain to move around in during trauma - almost acting as a natural cushion against potential damage.

“By doing that, you more or less take up the space inside the head so the brain can’t jiggle as much,” said Dr. Charles Tator, senior scientist at Toronto Western Hospital and one of Canada’s leading concussion experts, in a video presentation

Performance Sports Group touted two different research studies that claimed to find an 83 per cent reduction in the number of torn brain fibres in animals used in a standard concussion model when the band was utilized.

http://www.tsn.ca/new-collar-technology-aims-to-curb-concussions-1.396911

It was a very interesting presentation, and the band itself felt OK. The link above also lists how there are some skeptics over the blood flow, but the band pretty much diverts blood similar to when we lie down.

It isn't listed in the article but the genesis for this was when they studied the effect elevation had on concussions. In higher elevation our brain swells up a bit and there is lest room for movement. In the study conducted there was a 30 percent reduction in concussions in NFL, college and high school samples in areas of higher elevation to those in regular situations.

TL/DR: This is a really cool product that could help curb concussions in due time, but there is a ways to go before it is ready.

Mike
11-20-2015, 11:08 AM
That's a great invention for the student athletes, but no one in the show is wearing that around their neck. They don't even keep all of the padding inside their lids. What makes anyone think they'll wear these things?

Phil in Absentia
11-20-2015, 11:13 AM
That's a great invention for the student athletes, but no one in the show is wearing that around their neck. They don't even keep all of the padding inside their lids. What makes anyone think they'll wear these things?

No one in the show now. Fifteen years from now, it may be common place. Similar to how visors were mandated for all players not grandfathered into the new policy.

If this proves to substantially reduce the frequencey and/or impact of concussions, I can't see the NHl just brushing it to the side because Shane Doan doesn't want to wear one today.

Future
11-20-2015, 11:30 AM
I bet people used to say the same thing about visors.

CreaseCrusader91
11-20-2015, 11:49 AM
It really isn't a major inconvenience to wear. The program actually opened up about a number of athletes talking about their past related to mTBI and support for this product, and one of them was Marc Staal.

Mike
11-20-2015, 12:01 PM
No one in the show now. Fifteen years from now, it may be common place. Similar to how visors were mandated for all players not grandfathered into the new policy.

If this proves to substantially reduce the frequencey and/or impact of concussions, I can't see the NHl just brushing it to the side because Shane Doan doesn't want to wear one today.

I bet people used to say the same thing about visors.

It really isn't a major inconvenience to wear. The program actually opened up about a number of athletes talking about their past related to mTBI and support for this product, and one of them was Marc Staal.
It's one thing if it's a rule. There are plenty of guys who don't want to wear visors, but have to. It's not about inconvenience, it's about appearance.

CreaseCrusader91
11-20-2015, 12:03 PM
It's one thing if it's a rule. There are plenty of guys who don't want to wear visors, but have to. It's not about inconvenience, it's about appearance.

I get that, I just think a visor is well, more in your face so to speak as opposed to this is just something that's a colored collar.

Id expect the company will try and get their sponsored athletes such as Lundqvist and Stamkos etc to pilot it and hope others take suit.

Mike
11-20-2015, 12:21 PM
I get that, I just think a visor is well, more in your face so to speak as opposed to this is just something that's a colored collar.

Id expect the company will try and get their sponsored athletes such as Lundqvist and Stamkos etc to pilot it and hope others take suit.
Visors were always 50/50 from the start. It's not the same thing. A visor doesn't make you look like a tool box.

Phil in Absentia
11-20-2015, 12:28 PM
Visors were always 50/50 from the start. It's not the same thing. A visor doesn't make you look like a tool box.

It is the same thing, because this isn't the reason players would be rejecting this technology. Personal preference is.

I'm sure guys in the 70's said the exact same thing about helmets.

Future
11-20-2015, 12:29 PM
I don't think you'd even see the collar really...but, counter point. Huge tool:

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/002/292/923/hi-res-7317920_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=420&q=75

Mike
11-20-2015, 12:42 PM
It is the same thing, because this isn't the reason players would be rejecting this technology. Personal preference is.

I'm sure guys in the 70's said the exact same thing about helmets.

No. I don't think you understand what happens to a player from opponents and teammates when they look ridiculous. Helmets didn't look ridiculous. Visors didn't look ridiculous. THESE things look ridiculous. Imagine Max Talbot approaching Sean Avery while wearing a Saturn ring around his neck.

Mike
11-20-2015, 12:44 PM
I don't think you'd even see the collar really...but, counter point. Huge tool:

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/002/292/923/hi-res-7317920_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=420&q=75

Players eat each other alive for wearing fishbowls. Shit, it even happens at levels where you have to protect your face. I bought a fishbowl in HS 25+ years ago as a freshman. I wore it for 2 practices.

Phil in Absentia
11-20-2015, 12:47 PM
No. I don't think you understand what happens to a player from opponents and teammates when they look ridiculous. Helmets didn't look ridiculous. Visors didn't look ridiculous. THESE things look ridiculous. Imagine Max Talbot approaching Sean Avery while wearing a Saturn ring around his neck.

You are effectively arguing that because you think the players wil be made fun of for wearing something like this, that the NHL won't potentilaly adopt it.

The NHL mandated helmets in what, 1979? You don't think some guys got ridiculed for "being a pussy" for having a bucket on their head before then? Or that guys like Heatley or John Madden or even Marc Staal didn't get shit for wearing visors that covered 95% of their face?

None of these are viable reasons to refuse to take into consideration new safety measures.

Shit-talking has been in the game since day one, and it's almost certainly never leaving. Players will always find something to ridicule one another about.

Mike
11-20-2015, 12:53 PM
You are effectively arguing that because you think the players wil be made fun of for wearing something like this, that the NHL won't potentilaly adopt it.

The NHL mandated helmets in what, 1979? You don't think some guys got ridiculed for "being a pussy" for having a bucket on their head before then? Or that guys like Heatley or John Madden or even Marc Staal didn't get shit for wearing visors that covered 95% of their face?

None of these are viable reasons to refuse to take into consideration new safety measures.

Shit-talking has been in the game since day one, and it's almost certainly never leaving. Players will always find something to ridicule one another about.
No, I'm not saying the NHL won't mandate it because they look ridiculous. See post #6.

Phil in Absentia
11-20-2015, 12:58 PM
No, I'm not saying the NHL won't mandate it because they look ridiculous. See post #6.

Fair enough. All I'm saying is that if there's a measurable reduction in concussions because of this tech, which I do think the NHL will at the very least consider testing, it won't matter that players make fun of one another for wearing it. The NHL will simply mandate it, the same as they did helmets and visors.

Mike
11-20-2015, 01:03 PM
I'm not debating that the NHL won't mandate them if they're proven effectively.

Pete
11-20-2015, 01:16 PM
Of everyone is wearing it, no one is gonna get made fun of.

Bet they integrate it into shoulder pads eventually.

Mike
11-20-2015, 01:22 PM
Of everyone is wearing it, no one is gonna get made fun of.

Bet they integrate it into shoulder pads eventually.

Right, and the only way that happens is if the league mandates it. I don't think it could be attached to shoulder pads. They're too low. Football, yes, for sure. Some guys wear the neck collars in football. They've been around for decades.

CCCP
11-24-2015, 12:49 PM
buy their stock now. with these concussion related lawsuits NHL and NFL will mandate them