PDA

View Full Version : Rumor/Report: Islanders Trying to Trade Travis Hamonic

Phil in Absentia
11-18-2015, 04:07 PM
Very quietly, the New York Islanders are trying a manoeuvre a difficult situation — the possibility of trading Travis Hamonic.

Hamonic, a talented 25-year-old defender who does tremendous things off the ice, is in play, although the exact reasons are private.

One rumour indicated it was because he was unhappy with the unusual Long Island–Brooklyn setup for the team’s players, but a few sources blew that rationale out of the water.

“Nothing to do with it,” one said.

“This was a possibility before games began this season,” said another.

Islanders general manager Garth Snow and Hamonic’s agent, Kevin Epp, declined comment. Hamonic himself could not be reached.

Several sources indicate Snow is not interested in a picks or prospects type of return. He’s looking for equal-level replacement.

That’s reason No. 1 this hasn’t happened yet. There aren’t a lot of these players available.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/new-york-islanders-trying-to-trade-hamonic/

Manny-O-War
11-18-2015, 04:13 PM
This is just classic Islanders. Classic.

Phil in Absentia
11-18-2015, 04:16 PM
G for Hamonic? I'd do it.

Future
11-18-2015, 04:17 PM
What team would trade an equal defenseman for an equal defenseman?

Think they'd take Boyle and a pick? lol

Manny-O-War
11-18-2015, 04:22 PM
A team that really, really hates the player they are trying to get rid of. I bet they want "Hamonic but without the attitude."

Morphinity
11-18-2015, 04:49 PM
:tweet: @DarrenDreger
Credit to @FriedgeHNIC on Hamonic story. He has family concerns in West Canada and requested a move before the season. Hamonic loves the Isles. This is personal. Wpg, Edmtn, Cgy and Van all preferred. Might expand to other west cities. Tough on Isles....

--

So no, the Islanders don't "really, really hate" him lol

NYRangers92
11-18-2015, 05:44 PM
So to echo Wyshynski, how has Peter Chiarelli not done this yet?

Pete
11-18-2015, 05:48 PM
So to echo Wyshynski, how has Peter Chiarelli not done this yet?

Because he has nothing to give.

Niko
11-18-2015, 05:53 PM
Edmonton has a lot of young forward talent to spare. What am I missing Pete?

Phil in Absentia
11-18-2015, 05:56 PM
Because he has nothing to give.

Well, sure he does, but not that he'd want to trade. Why give up Klefbom right away, or Darnell Nurse? He'd want Hamonic to play with those guys.

Pete
11-18-2015, 05:58 PM
Those guys aren't equal value to Hamonic, today. They might be. One day.

I think the Isles would want a D back, not a forward.

Morphinity
11-18-2015, 06:41 PM
Ferrence + a forward

Dunny
11-18-2015, 07:09 PM
Vancouver needs help too.

phillyb™
11-18-2015, 07:16 PM
Ferrence + a forward

i could definitely see this since ferrence doesn't wear the C anymore.
ferrence and pouliot?
do the isles need someone like pouliot?

Future
11-19-2015, 09:26 AM
i could definitely see this since ferrence doesn't wear the C anymore.
ferrence and pouliot?
do the isles need someone like pouliot?
The Isles are barely a .500 team and are struggling both scoring and keeping the puck out of their own net.

They need a lot of things lol. I actually think Ference and Pouliot, or something similar, would make some sense for them, at least in the short term.

NYR2711
11-19-2015, 09:49 AM
Those guys aren't equal value to Hamonic, today. They might be. One day.

I think the Isles would want a D back, not a forward.

There was an article in Newsday's print version which said that this is what they want. They don't want picks or prospects, they want a top 4 defensemen.

Cash or Czech?
11-19-2015, 09:52 AM
They probably want someone equal to him in skill that doesn't get hurt every season. I could understand why they want to trade him. He's always in and out of the lineup.

Morphinity
11-19-2015, 09:53 AM
They probably want someone equal to him in skill that doesn't get hurt every season. I could understand why they want to trade him. He's always in and out of the lineup.

That's not why they're looking to trade him. They don't even really want to trade him. But they're doing it begrudgingly because he's having family issues.

NYR2711
11-19-2015, 10:19 AM

He asked them for the trade last year, they don't want to move him.

Blue Heaven
11-30-2015, 05:00 PM
http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2015/11/30/report-jets-offered-byfuglien-for-hamonic-isles-said-no/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Report: Jets offered Byfuglien for Hamonic, Isles said no

“I think the Islanders were offered Byfuglien and they said no,” Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman said this morning on Sportsnet 960 (audio), per Today’s Slapshot. “And I understand why, because Byfuglien’s got no term left.

Phil in Absentia
11-30-2015, 05:05 PM
Yeah I can see why they turned it down. It was mentioned earlier, I forget by who, that they wanted a comparable player under contract, not a pending UFA.

Being offered Byfuglien is kind of insulting. Unless they were given the opportunity to talk to Byfuglien about an extension right away.

NYR2711
12-01-2015, 12:38 AM
But if you look at it in the other teams point of view, they dont realy have to offer anything big. Everyone knows Hamonic wants out, so the Islanders have very little leverage for a deal. Yes they dont have to move him, but then they have an unhappy player in the locker room which could lead to some thing down the line if he isnt moved.

Future
12-01-2015, 09:06 AM
Yeah I can see why they turned it down. It was mentioned earlier, I forget by who, that they wanted a comparable player under contract, not a pending UFA.

Being offered Byfuglien is kind of insulting. Unless they were given the opportunity to talk to Byfuglien about an extension right away.
Idk about insulting.

Buff is a much better player than Hamonic. They're simply not going to get a top 4 defenseman, under contract, back, unless the guy is 30+

AmericanJesus
12-01-2015, 10:09 AM
But if you look at it in the other teams point of view, they dont realy have to offer anything big. Everyone knows Hamonic wants out, so the Islanders have very little leverage for a deal. Yes they dont have to move him, but then they have an unhappy player in the locker room which could lead to some thing down the line if he isnt moved.

This is partially true. There are probably a handful of teams that are competing for him though. So it's not like an MSL situation where he's specifically said he'll only go to one team. He's the type of player on the type of contract that would benefit a lot of the teams that are on his likely "list". He's also said he'll play the rest of the year if the Islanders need him to, so there is more leverage there.

Phil in Absentia
12-01-2015, 11:40 AM
Idk about insulting. Buff is a much better player than Hamonic. They're simply not going to get a top 4 defenseman, under contract, back, unless the guy is 30+

Of course it's insulting. In what world is Travis Hamonic -- a 23-minutes-a-night, 25-year old, 30-point, top pairing defenseman on a sweet heart contract worth just $3.857M against the cap until 2020 -- equal to the value of owning Dustin Byfuglien for roughly 55 games?

Byfuglien is a rental. Unless he isn't. Then it might be worth it. But that means being able to talk extension before the deal.

Trouba, Brodin, Klefbom -- these are the types of players I'm asking for in return.

Future
12-01-2015, 12:06 PM
Of course it's insulting. In what world is Travis Hamonic -- a 23-minutes-a-night, 25-year old, 30-point, top pairing defenseman on a sweet heart contract worth just $3.857M against the cap until 2020 -- equal to the value of owning Dustin Byfuglien for roughly 55 games?

Byfuglien is a rental. Unless he isn't. Then it might be worth it. But that means being able to talk extension before the deal.

Trouba, Brodin, Klefbom -- these are the types of players I'm asking for in return.
But why would any of those teams dump those guys?

What motivation does any other team have to trade a top 4 guy for a top 4 guy? Unless they think Hamonic is better than what they have...which would in turn be insulting again. There's no reason for any team to just make a like-for-like trade, and there's no reason that the Isles should expect that.

Buff's contract might make him a no-deal for the Isles, but he would step in and immediately be a first pair D for them. That's a significant upgrade over Hamonic for a team that wants to be competitive right now.

Phil in Absentia
12-01-2015, 12:29 PM
But why would any of those teams dump those guys?

They aren't "dumping" them. They are moving them for a better, more established defender in Hamonic.

What motivation does any other team have to trade a top 4 guy for a top 4 guy? Unless they think Hamonic is better than what they have...which would in turn be insulting again. There's no reason for any team to just make a like-for-like trade, and there's no reason that the Isles should expect that.

See above.

Buff's contract might make him a no-deal for the Isles, but he would step in and immediately be a first pair D for them. That's a significant upgrade over Hamonic for a team that wants to be competitive right now.

But that's not worth it if he's only there for 50 games and playoffs. They'd be better off offering a first round pick and whatever else the Jets want to rent him, keeping Hamonic and revisiting the trade this summer.

Future
12-01-2015, 12:44 PM
They aren't "dumping" them. They are moving them for a better, more established defender in Hamonic.

See above.
Ok, then if Hamonic is better than those players, why would the Isles do it? That's kind of my point. The Isles are going to lose value in a trade like that, so the idea of Buff being offered isn't exactly insulting. If the Isles are prepared to put a lesser player into their lineup, fine, but they're not going to get exactly what they want so to scoff at the idea of a better player, even if only for the short-term, I think is silly.

Phil in Absentia
12-01-2015, 01:09 PM
Ok, then if Hamonic is better than those players, why would the Isles do it? That's kind of my point. The Isles are going to lose value in a trade like that, so the idea of Buff being offered isn't exactly insulting. If the Isles are prepared to put a lesser player into their lineup, fine, but they're not going to get exactly what they want so to scoff at the idea of a better player, even if only for the short-term, I think is silly.

Because Hamonic wants out and they want to honor his request.

They lose value regardless because they are almost certainly giving up the better player.

Again, unless Byfuglien is willing to talk extension, I completely understand the Isles balking at any offers of a pending UFA.

NYR2711
12-02-2015, 11:38 AM
This is partially true. There are probably a handful of teams that are competing for him though. So it's not like an MSL situation where he's specifically said he'll only go to one team. He's the type of player on the type of contract that would benefit a lot of the teams that are on his likely "list". He's also said he'll play the rest of the year if the Islanders need him to, so there is more leverage there.

He did say he wanted to go to a Western Canadian team though, so thats only what 4 teams? Didn't he also just re-sign for a couple of years. He may stay the year, but then what happens after this year if they can't move him? Or, if he starts to get in a rut for a couple of games, will other players in the locker room accuse him of purposely playing like crap to get moved? For now everything is fine, but as time goes on, it could start to become an issue. Yes they can choose whoever to send him to, I don't believe he has a NTC, but will another team step in with a good offer knowing he might not want to be there either?

Phil in Absentia
12-02-2015, 11:47 AM
Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, Minnesota and Colorado are all in the mix.

Puck Head
12-02-2015, 12:07 PM
Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, Minnesota and Colorado are all in the mix.

Makes no sense that 3 of those teams help him nada in regards to being closer to home. Does he simply want out of New York?

Giacomin
12-04-2015, 11:40 PM
A few days back someone on SiriusXM (hockey blogger or puck daddy) mentioned the Isles possibly being offered Klefboom, but they wanted more because they feel Klef has been spotty so far this year. Not sure how reliable. From what it sounds like, the Isles really don't want to trade Hamonic, considering what they expect in return. I wonder if they don't wind up holding out until the deadline and possibly just wait till the off season. There are no equal dmen on the mkt now. They need to find a Klef plus useful forward type deal. Yet why would Edm give up Klef or Nurse, their best young dmen, plus a forward the Isles would value? Forget Ference, he's been a healthy scratch and not a close substitute for Hamonic.

Buff likely was offered, but wants a longterm 8M/year deal and probably wouldn't just agree to a new deal immediately, wanting to feel things out. Doubt the Jets even have gotten Buff involved enough to have him negotiating with another club before xmas. Meanwhile the Isles know they have a sweetheart contract and likely don't want double the salary and term of Hamonic. Ranger fans don't want to see Buff in the 1st or 2nd round of the playoffs. He'd bring the heat to Brooklyn, but too much uncertainty (signed contract needed; new ownership, Jet's decision, etc) to see this deal happen now.