PDA

View Full Version : Are the Dallas Stars For Real?

jjweimar
11-08-2015, 11:39 AM
The team has the two leading point scorers in the NHL, leader in points and assists, plus leader in goals, 1st in the West in points, there defense is decent, not good not great not bad...goaltending is questionable...can they be a real threat all year and into the postseason?

I watch a lot of their games, my wife is a die hard fan because of Modano and she has stuck with them. They are super entertaining. If their goaltenders play even have decent hockey they will be a threat in my opinion. They are tied with the Rangers for second in the NHL in points with same games played.

Pete
11-08-2015, 12:00 PM
Probably the most exciting team in the NHL on any given night right now.

As with any season, have to wait until other teams get sorted to really tell. We'll know more after Thanksgiving.

EdMc28
11-08-2015, 12:39 PM
Reminds me of those Bruce coached Caps teams.

AmericanJesus
11-08-2015, 12:48 PM
Like most up and coming teams, they're for real in regards to the regular season. They'll need to get their feet wet in the post season and then gain more and more experience there if you mean "for real" in challenging for a Cup. We've seen plenty of teams have lights out regular seasons and then falter repeatedly in the early rounds of the post season.

If I were them, I'd be concentrating on getting the goals against down. They're currently 19th in the league.

Phil in Absentia
11-08-2015, 03:51 PM
Goaltending is still the big question mark there. Will Lehtonen/Niemi hold up over the season?

Offense is probably top-3 in the league though.

RichieNextel305
11-08-2015, 04:42 PM
Way too early to tell. But I remember having a conversatiom on here with someone around the playoffs last year about how they could compete this year. Very exciting team.

ThirtyONE
11-09-2015, 12:41 PM
I say yes. Their big problem last year was that Lethonin was garbage and this year Niemi has been phenomenal in place of him. I don't know if they are the best team in the west but I'd bet on them at least making the playoffs.

I don't know why but I've watched a lot of their games this year which maybe that says something about how they play the game. It's fun to watch.

phillyb™
11-09-2015, 01:15 PM
I say yes. Their big problem last year was that Lethonin was garbage and this year Niemi has been phenomenal in place of him. I don't know if they are the best team in the west but I'd bet on them at least making the playoffs.

I don't know why but I've watched a lot of their games this year which maybe that says something about how they play the game. It's fun to watch.

yep!
really fun to watch. they're always a threat. i love their lineup.
i've been helping a friend who doesn't know much about the nhl put together fantasy teams. whenever dallas is playing, we always choose some stars.

Future
11-09-2015, 04:20 PM
No. Well, at least not yet.

You don't go anywhere in the playoffs giving up 2.6 GA/PG. And they have played a pretty cake schedule. They're just beating up on the bottom half of the East. They're 12 wins are against:
PIT (2)
EDM
TBL
FLA
PHI
ANA
VAN
SJS
BOS
CAR
DET

Pit is the only over .500 team they've beaten, and they both came in the first two weeks of the season when Pit was playing terrible. That team is destined to fail in the playoffs when their age catches up with them and they realize that defense is first in the playoffs. They can shit in their hat if they think they're going to go anywhere by just outscoring everybody.

Having said that, Jamie Benn is probably the best player in the league right now, and they are a lot of fun to watch

Morphinity
11-09-2015, 04:24 PM
To me, that goaltending tandem strategy is paying off for now, but I don't know if it's really something that can go a lot further. Once you get to the playoffs, one would think that you've got to go with one guy. Who is that guy?

jjweimar
11-09-2015, 04:26 PM
Who in the west is going to stop them, maybe Nashville with their D, Stl...possibly, Chicago has the scoring to stick with them, who else is there anymore, LA isn't that good, ANA isn't that good, SJ not there, Det not as good anymore either

jjweimar
11-09-2015, 04:27 PM
I believe you will end the year with a few elite teams 2-4 of them a bunch of people fighting for playoff spots and 4-6 teams bottom feeders

Future
11-09-2015, 04:29 PM
Who in the west is going to stop them, maybe Nashville with their D, Stl...possibly, Chicago has the scoring to stick with them, who else is there anymore, LA isn't that good, ANA isn't that good, SJ not there, Det not as good anymore either
Detroit is also in the East lol

Its too early to know who could stop them...I think it's the usually players in the West. STL, LAK, CHI, ANA (they've won 4 in a row and are getting themselves relevant) are all built to win in the playoffs a lot more than Dallas is

Morphinity
11-09-2015, 04:30 PM

Well, Detroit isn't in the West anymore ;)

I think LA is better than you give them credit for. Not the beasts they used to be, but they'll be challenging. Anaheim will improve and has been improving. Minnesota is a good team.

Gotta remember it's still early. I think they'll make the playoffs.

jjweimar
11-09-2015, 04:32 PM
Yes now det is in the east. Stupid mistake on my part. I just don't see the Kings there and STL, Chi, Ana, Nsh are pretty much their competition then. If Niemi can play well and take over the #1 position it may give them some base to grow on.

phillyb™
11-09-2015, 08:48 PM
Well, Detroit isn't in the West anymore ;)

I think LA is better than you give them credit for. Not the beasts they used to be, but they'll be challenging. Anaheim will improve and has been improving. Minnesota is a good team.

Gotta remember it's still early. I think they'll make the playoffs.

more than half the league makes the playoffs ;)

but i picked dallas to win the cup last year at the beginning of the season (don't ask).
either way, the nhl does better with a team like dallas in the post season. they're a fucking fun team.