PDA

View Full Version : Injury Report: PIT [F] Pascal Dupuis Taken To Hospital; Possibly Blood Clot Related

Morphinity
11-06-2015, 08:35 PM
:tweet: @JoshYohe_PGH
Pascal Dupuis has been taken to the hospital. Efforting to get more info.

:tweet: @JoshYohe_PGH
Dupuis appears to be having problems that could be related to the blood clot problems.

--

Fuckin' sucks.

Dunny
11-06-2015, 08:41 PM
Stop playing! It's a game!

Scary stuff.

Vodka Drunkenski
11-06-2015, 08:44 PM
He needs to stop playing and get a different role with the organization or the NHL.

Phil in Absentia
11-06-2015, 09:19 PM
That's awful to hear. His detailed Players Tribune write-up on what it takes for him just to play is incredibly detailed.

RichieNextel305
11-07-2015, 12:07 AM
At this point he just needs to stop. I understand and respect the passion, but don't die on the ice.

Respecttheblue
11-07-2015, 07:57 AM
That's awful to hear. His detailed Players Tribune write-up on what it takes for him just to play is incredibly detailed.

Thanks, his Players Tribune articles are enthralling reading, well worth reading, you'll understand his passion for the game and the team, and why he keeps getting back up after being knocked down, rather than seeing him as just a player with a blood clot issue. He's human; I'm sure many of us have tried to gut through or work through a physical or medical issue at some point that should have been reason to call an ambulance to get to an ER; just because maybe we found a way...not the smartest thing, but a human thing.

Remember when Ortmeyer had it. We were both being cat-scanned to rule out pulmonary embolism at about the same time different places. It was scary to think that was even a possibility, and it was some comfort that. "hey well Jed is going through this," at that time. I got lucky that day, Ortmeyer didn't...he went on the blood thinners, too, like Dupuis, but he continued to play for many years in other cities and leagues.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/pascal-dupuis-penguins-comeback/

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/in-my-blood/

Pete
11-07-2015, 08:08 AM
Ultimately he might have to call it quits, but I'm sure it's extremely hard to deal with your own mortality plus the end of your career....which is also the only thing you've ever known.

It's easy to say "just quit", but hard to do.

Phil in Absentia
11-07-2015, 09:58 AM
Ultimately he might have to call it quits, but I'm sure it's extremely hard to deal with your own mortality plus the end of your career....which is also the only thing you've ever known.

It's easy to say "just quit", but hard to do.

For sure. Especially from us, who have nothing at stake. No skin in the game.

Much harder for a guy who has dedicated his entire life to the game to just up and quit.

Vodka Drunkenski
11-07-2015, 10:39 AM
I'm sure there will plenty of opportunities within the organization or NHL for him.

Dunny
11-07-2015, 11:11 AM
OK, how about this, he should stop playing because he's awful anyways.

Pete
11-07-2015, 11:13 AM
I mean, he's not....And they haven't found anyone else who can play with Crosby....so...yea.

Future
11-11-2015, 11:39 AM
Doesn't exercise reduce the chance of blood clots?

I don't think that issue really has anything to do with hockey, so he might as well play. It's not like he's getting concussions.

Morphinity
11-11-2015, 11:41 AM
Well now that he's got your medical clearance, I'm sure he'll play :rofl:

Future
11-11-2015, 12:14 PM
lol...I'm just saying that if the clots are going to keep coming regardless of if he's playing hockey or not, why stop playing hockey?

Morphinity
11-11-2015, 12:25 PM
Since he's susceptible to clots forming, they can move to key areas of the body like the brain, the lungs, or the heart and cause him to die?

Here's a quote from his The Players' Tribune article:

The doctor explained that I had a pulmonary embolism. One of the branches of my lung was clogged. The clot probably started in my calf when my leg was immobilized on the flight back from Ottawa. My lung wasn’t getting blood supply and was slowly dying. The words just kind of whizzed by me. I went to grab my clothes when the doc explained that I had to stay in the hospital for a few days.

He said, “Duper, listen, you basically had a stroke of your lung. It’s serious. If this would’ve went to your heart or your brain, it could’ve been fatal.”

As for why he can't play hockey if he has blood clots, he has to be put on blood thinners. And if he's on blood thinners and he gets cut in a game, it might be difficult to stop the bleeding. Also, he'd be more susceptible to internal bleeding from simple contact which could be very hard to treat and could cause major injuries.

Karan
11-11-2015, 07:46 PM
Nice return to the lineup...scores 13 seconds into the game against MTL.