PDA

View Full Version : Article: Islanders Have New Home, But Fans Have Yet To Catch On

Phil in Absentia
10-27-2015, 11:38 AM
While the Islanders sold out their season opener (15,795) against the defending champion Chicago Blackhawks, the subsequent home games failed to come close to being sellouts. The second home game of the season, a Columbus Day matinee against the Winnipeg Jets, drew just 11,183 fans, and attendance for games against the Nashville Predators (10,542) and San Jose Sharks (11,577) was about the same.

There was an uptick against the Boston Bruins (13,113) on a Friday night, but some of that could be attributed to a boost from the Bruins fans in attendance.

While it’s still a small sample size, the figures could be concerning given what the Islanders drew last season at the Coliseum. After the first five home games of the 2014-15 season, the Islanders averaged 13,108, which was about 5 percent higher than the Islanders average attendance at Barclays (12,442), which ranks last in the NHL.

In terms of attendance compared to capacity, the Islanders rank No. 29, behind only the New Jersey Devils, with 78.7 percent of the arena filled. Of the 30 NHL teams, 24 have averaged a 90 percent filled arena.

Two longtime Islanders fans, both donning John Tavares jerseys, didn't feel satisfied with the team's home in Friday's game against the Bruins. They griped the Coliseum did a better job of compacting the noise, providing a better hockey atmosphere, and weren't keen on the long drive from Nassau County.

"I don't even like the elevators," joked one Islanders fan, who asked to not be identified.

"Coliseum was better, by far," said the other. "You were closer to the ice."

http://www.ibtimes.com/islanders-have-new-home-fans-have-yet-catch-2156667

Cash or Czech?
10-27-2015, 11:49 AM
30 more years!

JOHN
10-27-2015, 11:50 AM
Welcome to all new stadiums. There are no more Coliseum's, Spectrum's or Igloo's being built. You don't sit on top of the ice anymore.

I am Scags
10-27-2015, 11:58 AM
Welcome to all new stadiums. There are no more Coliseum's, Spectrum's or Igloo's being built. You don't sit on top of the ice anymore.

Exactly. Those intimate and yet intimidating venues are ancient history. Sporting venues are about luxury seating and suites and concessions whether it be gourmet eateries or boutiques and shops.

Phil in Absentia
10-27-2015, 12:01 PM

I'm much more concerned with the attendance, especially because from a lot of what I've read and heard, the die-hards are holding a grudge over them leaving and effectively refusing to travel to Barclays, complaining that it's too difficult to get to. Which we all know is bullshit. There are eleven subway stations within three blocks and the LIRR station is right across the street.

Parsley
10-27-2015, 12:02 PM
I can't get over the big ass SUV I see on TV behind the corner glass due to the weird layout of the place. I was watching last night and where I expect to see fans there is that big car along with some other advertisement.

Phil in Absentia
10-27-2015, 12:07 PM
I can't get over the big ass SUV I see on TV behind the corner glass due to the weird layout of the place. I was watching last night and where I expect to see fans there is that big car along with some other advertisement.

That's another non-issue. No different than the on-the-glass advertisements everyone got used to, or the LED ones along the boards. At first it's an eyesore (as it's designed to be), and after a handful of games it's just part of your viewing experience and no longer a distraction (or as big of one).

The lack of fans not showing up despite the ease of commute is far and away their biggest issue.

Parsley
10-27-2015, 12:29 PM
I know just saying it looks silly.

In the end I hope the isles end up elsewhere. Like out west.

Mike
10-27-2015, 12:34 PM

This goes for all sports.
Old Giant Stadium >>>>>>>>>>>>> Met Life
Old Yankee Stadium >>>>>>>>>>>> New Yankee Stadium

They're all way to wide. Architects suck.

JOHN
10-27-2015, 12:35 PM
This goes for all sports.
Old Giant Stadium >>>>>>>>>>>>> Met Life
Old Yankee Stadium >>>>>>>>>>>> New Yankee Stadium

Yep. Except the multipurpose baseball/football stadiums. The vet for instance was a fine football stadium, great actually. Fucking awful for baseball.

Future
10-27-2015, 03:29 PM
I mean, did anybody not see this coming?

Pete
10-27-2015, 06:23 PM
This is a temporary problem. If the Isles remain good, in 2-3 years, they'll be OK. This is like judging players after the first period of the first game of the season.

Vodka Drunkenski
10-27-2015, 06:29 PM
This is a temporary problem. If the Isles remain good, in 2-3 years, they'll be OK. This is like judging players after the first period of the first game of the season.

Or the first 10 games

Dunny
10-27-2015, 06:55 PM
London Knights nipping at their heels for attendance.

Man, that's a small building.

NYRangers92
10-27-2015, 06:55 PM
Just out of curiosity, do you need a permit to park at most LIRR stations? I know at Farmingdale you do, and street parking is sparse and far away. I'm trying to piece together the true cost of mass transport on the LIRR.

Phil in Absentia
10-27-2015, 09:08 PM

Because they'll develop a brand new fanbase, regardless of what the die hards living in the fading glory of the early 80's think or do.

I agree.

Pete
10-27-2015, 09:09 PM
Because they'll develop a brand new fanbase, regardless of what the die hards living in the fading glory of the early 80's think or do.

I agree.
Bingo.

Keirik
10-28-2015, 01:24 AM
I'm much more concerned with the attendance, especially because from a lot of what I've read and heard, the die-hards are holding a grudge over them leaving and effectively refusing to travel to Barclays, complaining that it's too difficult to get to. Which we all know is bullshit. There are eleven subway stations within three blocks and the LIRR station is right across the street.

See, its not bs at all. Ive been sayng that for a lng time. Its Long Island and the mentality here in terms of travel is by car. Always has been and always will. drive thrus, SUVs, the whole concept of "LI style" where 4 people meet up somewhere in 4 different cars, etc. that doesnt just change overnight.

I am Scags
10-28-2015, 02:42 AM
Their elected officials didn't want an arena and the people of Nassau County didn't put up a real fight to demand they stay, so I say to all those suburbanites complaining about the islanders and brooklyn now; GOOD! You got what you deserved

Pete
10-28-2015, 07:28 AM
When the team moved, I don't really think they gave a shit about losing legacy fans who weren't going to games anyway. I think the goal is to grow a new fan base.

It'll take time, but it's certainly achieveable.

Phil in Absentia
10-28-2015, 09:00 AM
See, its not bs at all. Ive been sayng that for a lng time. Its Long Island and the mentality here in terms of travel is by car. Always has been and always will. drive thrus, SUVs, the whole concept of "LI style" where 4 people meet up somewhere in 4 different cars, etc. that doesnt just change overnight.

You're talking to someone who grew up on the Island, Keith. I understand that, but I also traveld via LIRR since I was about 12-years old. I've ridden it consistently for the last 15-years for work and family. In fact, I've been going to Atlantic Terminal since before it was even called Atlantic Terminal. Since it was Flatbush Avenue, with a shitty behind-the-glass ticket window on the same level as the six platforms.

All I'm saying is that it's a bullshit excuse to claim you can't get there, or that it's too difficult. It isn't. You just don't want to go. And frankly, if you weren't going when they were still in the Coliseum, who gives a shit? You were part of the probelm to begin with.

Future
10-28-2015, 10:45 AM

I agree.
Which is why they should have completed re-branded in the first place, and why I still think they will.

They're alienating the old fans, might as well just own it lol

Phil in Absentia
10-28-2015, 10:47 AM
Meaning losing the old colors? Team name?

So Nashty
10-28-2015, 11:35 AM
When the team moved, I don't really think they gave a shit about losing legacy fans who weren't going to games anyway. I think the goal is to grow a new fan base.

It'll take time, but it's certainly achieveable.

This. Panicking now would be stupid. There were obviously going to be growing pains.

Keirik
10-28-2015, 11:41 AM
You're talking to someone who grew up on the Island, Keith. I understand that, but I also traveld via LIRR since I was about 12-years old. I've ridden it consistently for the last 15-years for work and family. In fact, I've been going to Atlantic Terminal since before it was even called Atlantic Terminal. Since it was Flatbush Avenue, with a shitty behind-the-glass ticket window on the same level as the six platforms.

All I'm saying is that it's a bullshit excuse to claim you can't get there, or that it's too difficult. It isn't. You just don't want to go. And frankly, if you weren't going when they were still in the Coliseum, who gives a shit? You were part of the probelm to begin with.
I know you grew up out here, which was why i thought it strange for your response. I do in theory get it though. It makes perfect sense. Then again, drive at 8am on the LIE or 5pm on the same road and see how many people love driving their cars lol.

NYR2711
10-28-2015, 11:50 AM

I would say its more of the cost. Teams, especially here in New York, have priced out the average fans. I bought Rangers tickets for Friday nights game, and it cost $500 for 3 tickets, and that doesn't include food and drinks and the stuff my kids are gonna want. I looked into going o a Giants game because my son and wife want to go to a game, and it would have cost us close to $800 for the tickets alone, so thats out. These leagues and arena's have made the prices so expensive and cater more towards the cooperate side, its disgusting. Next year, Im gonna have to buy 4 seats, and I can just imagine what thats going to cost.

NYR2711
10-28-2015, 11:56 AM

I agree its nice taking the train in, but the price for the train is also getting ridiculous. Its definitely cheaper driving, but there is no parking over there. For example, if I were to go from Babylon to Atlantic Terminal, its $30 a person round trip, as long a sI buy the ticket prior to boarding, on board its $42 round trip. Add that to the price of the ticket, plus the bloated food prices, and its hard for a family to go, similar to going to MSG. The only difference is that you have more people from Jersey and the City going to Ranger games than to Islander games where most of the fans are coming from Long Island.

Keirik
10-28-2015, 12:00 PM
I agree its nice taking the train in, but the price for the train is also getting ridiculous. Its definitely cheaper driving, but there is no parking over there. For example, if I were to go from Babylon to Atlantic Terminal, its $30 a person round trip, as long a sI buy the ticket prior to boarding, on board its $42 round trip. Add that to the price of the ticket, plus the bloated food prices, and its hard for a family to go, similar to going to MSG. The only difference is that you have more people from Jersey and the City going to Ranger games than to Islander games where most of the fans are coming from Long Island.

Dont you get to ride the train for free though? ;)

Phil in Absentia
10-28-2015, 12:03 PM

I'm only talking about ease of travel, not price. Sporting games are luxuries in this economy few families and/or middle class citizens can afford. I go to like one, tops, a year. Because not only does the team almost always lose when I go, but by the end of it, I'm reminded that I'd much rather just keep that money and watch from my couch.

What I'm saying is that anyone coming from Long Island, price aside, can't use the excuse that it's too difficult to get there. It isn't. Every single line, including the fringe off-shoot lines that run locally on the north and south shores connect to one of the three main lines, which, except for the rare Penn express train, stop at Jamica where you can transfer to the Atlantic Terminal line by walking across the platform.

It's simple commuting. And for most people it's as simple as getting on any of the three main lines, taking it to Jamaica, transfering once and walking across the street into the building once they arrive 12 minutes later.

NYR2711
10-28-2015, 12:20 PM
Dont you get to ride the train for free though? ;)

I do, but I also have my wife and kids with me, so she still has to buy a ticket, and when I went to Islander/Ranger games, I used to just buy a ticket because I didn't want to deal with the fights on the train and have to get involved. We had one conductor one time force me and another cop to pay for tickets on the train, even after showing our passes, and something happened on the train and she got mad because we didn't get up and help out. I told her we were paying customers.

Future
10-28-2015, 12:46 PM
Meaning losing the old colors? Team name?
Yea.

I think it's pretty obvious that they're trying to build the whole Brooklyn sports thing in tandem with the Nets, a la Bruins/Celtics and Blackhawks/Bulls. I don't think it's long before those third jerseys, or a modified version of them, become the actual home jersey. And the name "Islanders" now has absolutely no connection to Brooklyn...it obviously did with Long Island, so a name change makes sense.

Generally, my gut tells me that they only held onto the name as a compromise of sorts to appease some old fans and help make sure attendance was solid right away. Maybe there was some sponsorship deals as well. But long term, I don't think you move the team to Brooklyn with ANY intent of keeping them the Islanders.

Phil in Absentia
10-28-2015, 12:51 PM
Yea.

I think it's pretty obvious that they're trying to build the whole Brooklyn sports thing in tandem with the Nets, a la Bruins/Celtics and Blackhawks/Bulls. I don't think it's long before those third jerseys, or a modified version of them, become the actual home jersey. And the name "Islanders" now has absolutely no connection to Brooklyn...it obviously did with Long Island, so a name change makes sense.

Generally, my gut tells me that they only held onto the name as a compromise of sorts to appease some old fans and help make sure attendance was solid right away. Maybe there was some sponsorship deals as well. But long term, I don't think you move the team to Brooklyn with ANY intent of keeping them the Islanders.

Why? Brooklyn is part of Long Island.

I doubt they'll change the name itself, but I do agree that you'll probably, evenually, see the current thirds become more of a constant. Maybe even where the current homes (or aways) become the third?

phillyb™
10-28-2015, 01:13 PM
i almost made a comment about the name islanders and thought to myself, "meh...let's not go there" - while brooklyn is technically still part of that piece of land, it doesn't get considered an "island."

Phil in Absentia
10-28-2015, 01:20 PM
i almost made a comment about the name islanders and thought to myself, "meh...let's not go there" - while brooklyn is technically still part of that piece of land, it doesn't get considered an "island."

Because it falls under the jurisdiction of New York City. But that's where they play now, and Long Island as a body of land, stretches from Montauk to Fort Hamilton.

Future
10-28-2015, 01:24 PM
Why? Brooklyn is part of Long Island.

I doubt they'll change the name itself, but I do agree that you'll probably, evenually, see the current thirds become more of a constant. Maybe even where the current homes (or aways) become the third?
Maybe geographically it is, but it's more Manhattan than it is Suffolk, and I don't think the name "Islanders" was built for the former.

To me, it's akin to a NY team being named the Metros and saying it applies to people who live in Rochester b/c they're in NY.

Phil in Absentia
10-28-2015, 01:28 PM
Maybe geographically it is, but it's more Manhattan than it is Suffolk, and I don't think the name "Islanders" was built for the former.

To me, it's akin to a NY team being named the Metros and saying it applies to people who live in Rochester b/c they're in NY.

There's too much equity built into "Islanders" to start fresh. It's one thing to change a logo. It's another to change a franchise. Especially when they've only moved like 30 miles west.

Future
10-28-2015, 01:40 PM
There's too much equity built into "Islanders" to start fresh. It's one thing to change a logo. It's another to change a franchise. Especially when they've only moved like 30 miles west.
I don't think they would have moved if the "Islanders" had any equity. They haven't been relevant for like 30 years and the name itself no longer has any value. They're on a plane with the Coyotes, Panthers, Blue Jackets and Hurricanes.

Keirik
10-28-2015, 01:59 PM
Brooklyn isn't part of Long Island so the name Islanders doesn't make sense for the intended name, but it does make sense since technically it is all an island. It would have been dumb to change the name though right now. If there is a new fanbase in 5-10 years from now from a new generation then revisit it if there is some uproar about it.

SaveByRichter35
10-28-2015, 06:09 PM

Brooklyn isn't part of Long Island so the name Islanders doesn't make sense for the intended name, but it does make sense since technically it is all an island. It would have been dumb to change the name though right now. If there is a new fanbase in 5-10 years from now from a new generation then revisit it if there is some uproar about it.

I think you all, with the exception of Rome, need to take a look at a map. Not only is Brooklyn literally on Long Island, regardless of it being a Borough of NYC, but Manhattan is also an Island. How does the term islanders not work for a team who is literally located on an island or a team who is now considered to be part of another island?

Morphinity
10-28-2015, 06:10 PM
I think you all, with the exception of Rome, need to take a look at a map. Not only is Brooklyn LITERALLY on Long Island, regardless of it being a Borough of NYC, but Manhattan is ALSO an Island. How does the term ISLANDERS not work for team who is literally located on an island or a team who is now considered to be part of another island?

Brooklyn isn't part of Manhattan though lol... Which I'm assuming you meant because you mentioned Manhattan is also an island.

phillyb™
10-28-2015, 06:18 PM
don't lump me up in that shit, i did recognize that it's part of the same land. i said people don't consider an island because of what rome said.

Keirik
10-28-2015, 06:44 PM
I think you all, with the exception of Rome, need to take a look at a map. Not only is Brooklyn LITERALLY on Long Island, regardless of it being a Borough of NYC, but Manhattan is ALSO an Island. How does the term ISLANDERS not work for team who is literally located on an island or a team who is now considered to be part of another island?

I think you need to take a look at my post and read it carefully.

SaveByRichter35
10-28-2015, 09:21 PM
Brooklyn isn't part of Manhattan though lol... Which I'm assuming you meant because you mentioned Manhattan is also an island.
Thanks. I am aware Brooklyn isn't on Manhattan. The reason I mentioned it had to do with what future said in his post.

I think you need to take a look at my post and read it carefully.
I think you need to read your post again. Specifically the first sentence. Find a map of Long Island and find Brooklyn on it. When you do that reference my post again.

SaveByRichter35
10-28-2015, 09:25 PM
I think it looks dumb too. First time I saw it I felt like I was watching a game in Europe.

Keirik
10-28-2015, 09:58 PM
Thanks. I am aware Brooklyn isn't on Manhattan. The reason I mentioned it had to do with what future said in his post.

I think you need to read your post again. Specifically the first sentence. Find a map of Long Island and find Brooklyn on it. When you do that reference my post again.

I have no idea why you came into this thread so hostile but i specifically said it doesn't make sense from the standpoint that they named the team after LONG ISLANDERS, not an Island but TECHNICALLY MAKES SENSE SINCE IT IS ALL AN ISLAND. People from Brooklyn do not consider themselves LONG ISLANDERS. Never have, never will. Hell, to be honest, you read everyone's post and misinterpreted everyone. I really don't think anyone here needs to look at a map. We are all adults and everyone knows basic geography. Reading comprehension is a great tool to master.

Ask someone if they are from Brooklyn and see how many of them agree they are Long Islanders. Ask someone from the Hamptons if they consider Brooklyn part of Long Island and you will get a resounding no. Ask someone if the Mets play in Long Island and they will say no and ask someone if the Islanders play in Long Island....etc etc.

Lastly, i did read my first sentence. It was two parted. Did you read the entire sentence? I'm assuming no since you incorrectly said "the first sentence."

I can't believe we are arguing about whether Brooklyn is part of Long Island when no one considers it at all.

SaveByRichter35
10-28-2015, 11:33 PM
I'm not being hostile at all man, sorry you took it that way. I changed the capitalized words to italicized to help remove the confusion on that.

I know people from Brooklyn and Queens don't consider where they live to be Long Island. That doesn't mean they are correct. Every map in the world that includes Long Island on it says otherwise. The discussion was never about what people think. It was the literal fact the it is geographically located on Long Island.

Phil in Absentia
10-28-2015, 11:40 PM
There's really no confusion here. People who live in Brooklyn or in Queens live on Long Island. They just don't technically live "in" it. To do so, you'd need to be residing within Nassau or Suffolk counties.

The technicality can apply in either direction, but geographically speaking, both Queens and Brooklyn are part of the same land mass.

I am Scags
10-28-2015, 11:48 PM
Well I'm from dirty Jersey so eff all you New Yorkers! ;)

Parsley
10-28-2015, 11:50 PM
Well I'm from dirty Jersey so eff all you New Yorkers! ;)

:lol:

Parsley
10-28-2015, 11:55 PM
Pennsyltucky is where it's at bitches!

Me and Chappie say so.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bey0tpICEAE4sPr.jpg

I am Scags
10-29-2015, 12:36 AM
lol!

Yea it doesn't matter if you cross the Delaware at Dingmans Ferry or all the way down at the Walt Whitman bridge, you always know when you're in Pennsyltucky!

Mike
10-29-2015, 12:54 AM
Phuck Philly too

I am Scags
10-29-2015, 01:02 AM
Phuck Philly too

Yep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNnkDjMVJqE

Provolone_NYR35
10-29-2015, 07:17 AM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/29/e08e80a6498781f719cdac4de0ac9948.jpg I smell a return of the New York Americans.

Parsley
10-29-2015, 07:32 AM
Yep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNnkDjMVJqE

LOVE that rant. LOVE it. I'm closer To Amish folks than I am center city Philly so I feel ok. ;)

Keirik
10-29-2015, 08:41 AM
There's really no confusion here. People who live in Brooklyn or in Queens live on Long Island. They just don't technically live "in" it. To do so, you'd need to be residing within Nassau or Suffolk counties.

The technicality can apply in either direction, but geographically speaking, both Queens and Brooklyn are part of the same land mass.
Which Everyone knows. However tbe whole "get a map" stuff is rather ludicrous. The Islanders were a Long Island team based around people who lived IN Long Island. Even their color scheme of orange and blue was made aeound Nassau Countys color scheme. Brooklynites are correct in saying they dont live in LI just as the Islanders are no longer based in Long Island.

Future
10-29-2015, 09:04 AM
I'm not being hostile at all man, sorry you took it that way. I changed the capitalized words to italicized to help remove the confusion on that.

I know people from Brooklyn and Queens don't consider where they live to be Long Island. That doesn't mean they are correct. Every map in the world that includes Long Island on it says otherwise. The discussion was never about what people think. It was the literal fact the it is geographically located on Long Island.
The geography isn't the point.

What people think is ENTIRELY the discussion. Nobody would hear the term "Islander" and think Brooklyn. That's the point that you're missing. Nobody is saying Brooklyn isn't geographically a part of LI. So kill the "get a map" nonsense.

NYR2711
10-29-2015, 10:15 AM

Well, there motto is " We're all Islanders", meaning we are all Long Islanders, so that really doesn't work for Brooklyn. Yes part of New York City is a part of Long Island, but the people who live in Brooklyn and Queens would kill you if you called them Long Islanders.

NYR2711
10-29-2015, 10:17 AM
Pennsyltucky is where it's at bitches!

Me and Chappie say so.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bey0tpICEAE4sPr.jpg

Pars, which one is you?

Provolone_NYR35
10-29-2015, 10:17 AM
They had Matt Martin at the nhl store. Then they paid the mets players to come to the game like last week. They are trying so hard.

Phil in Absentia
10-29-2015, 10:18 AM
Well, there motto is " We're all Islanders", meaning we are all Long Islanders, so that really doesn't work for Brooklyn. Yes part of New York City is a part of Long Island, but the people who live in Brooklyn and Queens would kill you if you called them Long Islanders.

That's a slogan/tag line. It can change. Easily.

The Rangers change theirs like every other year. This "Rangerstown" thing was only concocted in the last two or three years.

Phil in Absentia
10-29-2015, 10:26 AM
Which Everyone knows. However tbe whole "get a map" stuff is rather ludicrous. The Islanders were a Long Island team based around people who lived IN Long Island. Even their color scheme of orange and blue was made aeound Nassau Countys color scheme. Brooklynites are correct in saying they dont live in LI just as the Islanders are no longer based in Long Island.

Sure. But changing the team name itself is a pretty massive undertaking that would only further alienate what fans are showing up right now. It's easy for us to sit here and talk about how and why they should, but that's because we've got no skin in the game. If the Rangers were sold tomorrow, or moved to Yonkers, and all of a sudden there was talk that because of that move they should now change their name to something else, I think you'd see a massive uproar over it. Understandably, too.

This isn't like when the Whalers moved to Raleigh. This club moved, literally, two counties west. They're like 30 miles away, or less, from where they used to play, still in the same state, still on the same geographic body of land. I get it, "Islanders" is slang for those living on Long Island but not in the jurisdiction of New York City. But it's also a name they've built a lot of equity in. It's not easy to just drop it and treat them like an expansion club because they're playing in a new building that technically falls within the county bounds of New York City.

Case in point? The New York Giants don't even play in New York State. Neither do the New York Jets. Should they change their names too?

NYR2711
10-29-2015, 10:29 AM
That's a slogan/tag line. It can change. Easily.

The Rangers change theirs like every other year. This "Rangerstown" thing was only concocted in the last two or three years.

I agree, but that goes towards the idea that the team name is based on Long Islanders, which is something Brooklynites and whatever the fuck Queens people call themselves, don't consider themselves. The Rangers have at least acknowledged the suburbs in there shit, I have seen promo's that say Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland and other outside area's.

NYR2711
10-29-2015, 10:32 AM
Sure. But changing the team name itself is a pretty massive undertaking that would only further alienate what fans are showing up right now. It's easy for us to sit here and talk about how and why they should, but that's because we've got no skin in the game. If the Rangers were sold tomorrow, or moved to Yonkers, and all of a sudden there was talk that because of that move they should now change their name to something else, I think you'd see a massive uproar over it. Understandably, too.

This isn't like when the Whalers moved to Raleigh. This club moved, literally, two counties west. They're like 30 miles away, or less, from where they used to play, still in the same state, still on the same geographic body of land. I get it, "Islanders" is slang for those living on Long Island but not in the jurisdiction of New York City. But it's also a name they've built a lot of equity in. It's not easy to just drop it and treat them like an expansion club because they're playing in a new building that technically falls within the county bounds of New York City.

Case in point? The New York Giants don't even play in New York State. Neither do the New York Jets. Should they change their names too?

But the Rangers weren't named for NYC, where the Islanders were named for Long Island. There has also been a huge argument over the New York Giants/Jets being in Jersey and still being called New York. Both have their headquarters in New York, so thats one reason why they keep the New York part.

I am Scags
10-29-2015, 10:34 AM
And that's with every team. LIie the Devils had the marketing slogan line for a few years as "Jerseys Team". Even the Yankees the most successful franchise in sports history creates new marketing slogans every season or two

Phil in Absentia
10-29-2015, 10:39 AM
But the Rangers weren't named for NYC, where the Islanders were named for Long Island. There has also been a huge argument over the New York Giants/Jets being in Jersey and still being called New York. Both have their headquarters in New York, so thats one reason why they keep the New York part.

I'm not saying it isn't a little weird to be called Islanders and play in Brooklyn. Specifically because of how the county lines are drafted.

I'm saying it's not weird enough to warrant changing the name becuase geographically speaking, they never actually "left" the Island.

To me, this is just one of those things where you shrug your shoulders and go "eh, whatever". Becuase it's not egregious enough to warrant rebranding the franchise IMO.

I am Scags
10-29-2015, 10:39 AM

Certain Jersey politicians have for years tried to influence a name change for the NY teams that play in Rutherford to NJ. I think its so stupid, ok so they play in a shitty ass swamp in jersey, they are NY teams that were both born in NY

NYR2711
10-29-2015, 11:13 AM
I'm not saying it isn't a little weird to be called Islanders and play in Brooklyn. Specifically because of how the county lines are drafted.

I'm saying it's not weird enough to warrant changing the name becuase geographically speaking, they never actually "left" the Island.

To me, this is just one of those things where you shrug your shoulders and go "eh, whatever". Becuase it's not egregious enough to warrant rebranding the franchise IMO.

I agree with you, but I also understand where others are coming from. I also just think its shitty what the team did to its true fans in moving away from them instead of to an area that was still in the heart of the area for their fans.

NYR2711
10-29-2015, 11:14 AM
Certain Jersey politicians have for years tried to influence a name change for the NY teams that play in Rutherford to NJ. I think its so stupid, ok so they play in a shitty ass swamp in jersey, they are NY teams that were both born in NY

I do kind of agree with them though. Its like the fight for the Statute of Liberty. Jersey says its theirs, yet you have to go to New York to go there.

Phil in Absentia
10-29-2015, 11:34 AM
I agree with you, but I also understand where others are coming from. I also just think its shitty what the team did to its true fans in moving away from them instead of to an area that was still in the heart of the area for their fans.

See, I feel the opposite. The "true fans" deserve it, becuase they put up little fight to keep them there in the first place. The Isles tried for almost a decade to come to an agreement with Nassau county for a new arena becuase there was no way they could keep playing in the delapidated Coliseum and the county just dragged it's feet every time.

Now that the team leaves, they all of a sudden find the time and effort to renovate the Coliseum, even if they aren't building a new arena? Too fucking bad. Too little too late. And the "die hard" Isles fans weren't coming to games anyway. So they were part of the reason the team left to begin with.

Keirik
10-29-2015, 11:45 AM
I do, but I also have my wife and kids with me, so she still has to buy a ticket, and when I went to Islander/Ranger games, I used to just buy a ticket because I didn't want to deal with the fights on the train and have to get involved. We had one conductor one time force me and another cop to pay for tickets on the train, even after showing our passes, and something happened on the train and she got mad because we didn't get up and help out. I told her we were paying customers.
That's odd. The passes are supposed to work. They are sponsored by the LIRR specifically.

NYR2711
10-29-2015, 11:48 AM
See, I feel the opposite. The "true fans" deserve it, becuase they put up little fight to keep them there in the first place. The Isles tried for almost a decade to come to an agreement with Nassau county for a new arena becuase there was no way they could keep playing in the delapidated Coliseum and the county just dragged it's feet every time.

Now that the team leaves, they all of a sudden find the time and effort to renovate the Coliseum, even if they aren't building a new arena? Too fucking bad. Too little too late. And the "die hard" Isles fans weren't coming to games anyway. So they were part of the reason the team left to begin with.

The problem is that they only looked in Nassau, Suffolk offered to them and they wouldnt even consider it. The place for them was Suffolk. But they are also cheap and didn't want to put any money in on the deal. If they built a new arena in like Islip or even Brentwood, they would have had a great spot, but they refused to look in those area's. It would have kept the team among its fans.

NYR2711
10-29-2015, 11:49 AM
That's odd. The passes are supposed to work. They are sponsored by the LIRR specifically.

It all depends on the conductor. I have had a couple of asshole conductors, but not many. Most are really cool.

Keirik
10-29-2015, 12:03 PM

Well, we agree. I originally said 3 pages back that I did not think this is the right time at all to change the name. It would have to be revisited in the next generation of fans if there was a massive petition for it.

Jules
10-29-2015, 12:36 PM

I don't agree. I thought the experience at the Xcel (Wild) and the Nationwide (Jackets) were both fine, and there are some modern college hockey arenas that are fantastic too. It can be done, but mainly for arenas that know their mainstay, or one of their mainstays, is hockey.

Morphinity
10-29-2015, 12:42 PM
I don't agree. I thought the experience at the Xcel (Wild) and the Nationwide (Jackets) were both fine, and there are some modern college hockey arenas that are fantastic too. It can be done, but mainly for arenas that know their mainstay, or one of their mainstays, is hockey.

I wouldn't consider these new arenas/stadiums since they were opened in 2000.

Future
10-29-2015, 02:24 PM
The lack of attendance and, inevitably, financial troubles, are the egregious part, not the name in and of itself.

Blue Heaven
12-17-2015, 01:54 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/islanders-fans-vs--brooklyn-arena-security-getting-ugly-150739269.html

On Tuesday night at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, two fans allegedly tried to move closer to the ice in order to photograph the Jumbotron above the New York Islanders’ rink. On the screen: a tribute to one of the fan’s late father, a message the family paid to be displayed.

The fans went to an area designated for fans with special needs, and were met there by arena workers that weren’t having it. That sparked a melee between fans and security workers that was caught on film

https://vid.me/wyGh

RichieNextel305
12-17-2015, 03:31 PM
The security in every building now is absolutely horrific. They're all assholes on power trips. It's so inconsistent too. They all make it painfully tough to enjoy a sporting event. They have this us against the world mentality, where they think paying patrons are there to annoy them and not watch the event they paid for. It's absurd. MSG is no different. I'd actually put their security up there as maybe the worst around, though I haven't been to Barclays yet.

They have to lighten up. I understand you're there to keep the peace, but after awhile, you have to stop being so confrontational and bitching and moaning about irrelevant nonsense just to keep yourself from being bored at an event you're working. If someone curses loudly and you want to approach them, do so in a professional manner. Don't call for 8 security guards to walk over with you, get in your face and basically dare you to say something nasty or sarcastic.

Security all over is horrible. Like I said, it's a bunch of toolbags on power trips.

Future
12-17-2015, 03:55 PM
Having worked security a couple of times - including monitoring the handicapped/special needs section at a Monster truck show... - I can honestly say that I understand if those guards were dicks, because people try very hard to take advantage of it. I don't really know what happened here, but it doesn't surprise me.