PDA

View Full Version : [TSN] LeBrun/McKenzie: Jackets' "Working Phone Hard" for Defenseman, Could Fire Richards

Phil in Absentia
10-19-2015, 05:19 PM
:tweet: @NicholsOnHockey: LeBrun: "To no one's surprise, I'm told the Jackets are working the phone hard, trying to get a defenseman at least." #CBJ

:tweet: @NicholsOnHockey: McKenzie: I get sense #CBJ get sense this is critical, fork in road moment. Can't sustain losing streak thatíll bury playoff chances. (1/2)

:tweet: @NicholsOnHockey: McKenzie: Therefore, itís legit that thereís talk about Todd Richardsí job. Itís legit thereís talk about trying a trade first. (2/2) #CBJ

--

Also, on #MvsW yesterday/today (recorded Sunday), Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch actually championed the idea that John Tortorella could be the guy they task with replacing Richards, if they go that route.

Pete
10-19-2015, 05:34 PM
Dubinsky just got hard.

Puck Head
10-19-2015, 09:32 PM
Girardi for Dubinsky!

Phil in Absentia
10-19-2015, 09:35 PM
Dan Boyle would look good as a Blue Jacket...

Come on, Dan... don't you agree?

Keirik
10-19-2015, 10:02 PM
Girardi for Dubinsky!

Done and DONE!

Cash or Czech?
10-19-2015, 11:20 PM
I can't even think of which defensemen are even available 6 games into the season.

torontonyr
10-20-2015, 12:06 AM
I can't even think of which defensemen are even available 6 games into the season.

Any chance we offer McIlrath? If we're looking to cut loose, and we very well may be, this would be the opportunity to yield a higher return.

Vodka Drunkenski
10-20-2015, 06:35 AM
I would think they would want something more than a 6/7 guy.

Valriera
10-20-2015, 07:26 AM
Girardi for Dubinsky!

Yes please. Still have my dubinsky jersey: was my favorite player when he was here.

Pete
10-20-2015, 09:03 AM
Why swap one guy not worth his paycheck for another?

Cash or Czech?
10-20-2015, 09:36 AM
Any chance we offer McIlrath? If we're looking to cut loose, and we very well may be, this would be the opportunity to yield a higher return.

They need defensive help, not someone on par with what they have.

---

I could see Ference or Fayne going from Edmonton, Jared Cowan from Ottawa, Luke Schenn from Philly or Roman Polak from the Leafs. None of these guys are upgrades to what they have, and there realistically the only guys available this early. Bobrovsky has been giving up shit goals that he should stop all year. IMO they should start McElhinney for a few games, then get Bob back in. They had a successful run with this group, and it's not a good group of D, but they should be able to turn it around on their own.

Future
10-20-2015, 09:50 AM
As much as I like Dubi, I don't think he really has a role here now unless we're unloading Fast or Stalberg.

Future
10-20-2015, 09:51 AM
I thought CBJ was going to be really good this year, considering how they finished last season andt he fact that they are pretty healthy. Bobrovsky hasn't really been good, but I'm just real surprised how bad they've been.

Cash or Czech?
10-20-2015, 10:40 AM
@smitchcd: #CBJ G Curtis McElhinney working in starter’s net this a.m.

---

Bob fully admitted he lacked confidence right now.

Phil in Absentia
10-20-2015, 10:42 AM
Philly's been looking to move both Schenn brothers. Wonder if they both go to CBJ?

Phil in Absentia
10-20-2015, 11:00 AM
The word last weekend was GM Jarmo Kekalainen wanted to make a trade before a coaching change, and he’s certainly trying. He’s looking for a defenceman who can make life harder on opposing forwards.

There are two problems. First, when you’re struggling, other GMs throw anvils instead of life jackets. Second, it can be very difficult to find trading partners this early. Most teams want to see what they’ve got.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Kekalainen asked about Anaheim’s Shea Theodore, but not sure the Ducks would even consider it. They love him, even as Theodore’s being brought along slowly.

As for Todd Richards, when we last saw him, he was coaching a huge underdog at the Worlds (Team USA) to a stunning bronze medal. Can’t imagine he forgot what to do in five months.

If the Blue Jackets eventually do make a change, there’s been a lot of speculation about everyone from Guy Boucher to Jacques Martin (who worked with Kekalainen in Ottawa) to John Tortorella.

One thing about Boucher, who was about 10 minutes from being Toronto’s coach before Mike Babcock called: He does not have an out during the season. He’s at SC Bern in Switzerland and did, at one point, have a 48-hour window to pursue NHL jobs. But that is now closed.

You always look for connections. Others include Davis Payne, who President of Hockey Operations John Davidson hired in St. Louis. But I don’t see Los Angeles allowing it in-season.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-reeling-blue-jackets-search-for-answers/

Morphinity
10-20-2015, 11:05 AM
Philly's been looking to move both Schenn brothers. Wonder if they both go to CBJ?
Except Luke Schenn is atrocious and doesn't help them at all.

Phil in Absentia
10-20-2015, 11:23 AM
"Help" is a relative term. They clearly want a shake-up, and from what I'm reading, few teams, if any, are talking trade this early. Might have to take what you can get, if you can get it.

I don't think Luke Schenn is very good either, but Renť Bourque was also on the edge of his NHL career when he went to Columbus, and he turned it around pretty good and turned into an effective player for them. They also are one of the only teams in the league still playing that hulking, heavy hockey style. So Luke Schenn would conceivably fit that mold.

Cash or Czech?
10-20-2015, 11:34 AM
I wouldn't say Bourque revitalized in Columbus, as he's a $3.33M cap hit that has four goals in 13 games spread across two seasons, an injury history and 0 points this year. Schenn would add to their problem, but I absolutely see why they'd go after him if they want to play this physical style, also considering Philly wants to sell. I'm not so convinced on selling Brayden Schenn, it could be a real breakout year for him as a 2nd liner.

With Anaheim's penchant to replace players about to get big money with cheap young talent, there's little to no chance they move Theodore. He's going to be a stud and help Anaheim for at least 5 years. He's such a talented player at both ends of the ice, I don't think there's a package they could offer that Anaheim would accept.

A team like Tampa may be interested in a move, with Hedman, Coburn, Garrison and Carle all LHD and filling very similar roles (the latter three especially), with Stralman on the right as well as Sustr and talented prospects Koekkoek and Anthony DeAngelo. It's going to be tough, they may just need to adjust their systems and play a more concentrated game.

Phil in Absentia
10-20-2015, 11:37 AM
Maybe revitalized isn't what I mean to say, but he's given them bigger minutes than what he was doing in Montrťal, where he was a healty scratch pretty often.

Cash or Czech?
10-20-2015, 11:43 AM
Maybe revitalized isn't what I mean to say, but he's given them bigger minutes than what he was doing in Montrťal, where he was a healty scratch pretty often.

Fair enough. He's definitely had a greater impact on the ice. He hasn't been a relevant factor on the score sheet since he was with the Flames way back when.

Morphinity
10-20-2015, 12:12 PM
Well they're starting McIlhenney tonight and healthy scratching Cam Atkinson. If they get blown out again, then I'd say a domino might fall.

Phil in Absentia
10-20-2015, 01:10 PM
Well they're starting McIlhenney tonight and healthy scratching Cam Atkinson. If they get blown out again, then I'd say a domino might fall.

Arthur Staple tweeted earlier this morning that the Jackets are at a 9% chance of making the playoffs, speculating that the Isles game could be the tipping point for any major change they make. Coaching, trade, whatever.

Like the old saying goes, you can't make the playoffs in October, but you can certainly miss them.

Morphinity
10-20-2015, 01:22 PM
Arthur Staple tweeted earlier this morning that the Jackets are at a 9% chance of making the playoffs, speculating that the Isles game could be the tipping point for any major change they make. Coaching, trade, whatever.

Like the old saying goes, you can't make the playoffs in October, but you can certainly miss them.

Yep. I was talking to someone yesterday about it - that if they wanted to erase this 0-6-0 start and just get to .500, they need to win 6 in a row, which is no small feat.

It's 12 points out of 12 that they've missed out on. It's bad, real bad.

Phil in Absentia
10-20-2015, 09:59 PM
:tweet: @NYP_Brooksie: Not aware that decision has been made in Columbus, but told that Jackets are looking at Tortorella and Boucher if Todd Richards is dismissed

Keirik
10-20-2015, 10:11 PM
http://a.fssta.com/content/dam/fsdigital/fscom/NHL/images/2014/04/24/PlayoffAction/042414-Blue-Jackets-Brandon-Dubinsky-PI-CH.vresize.1200.675.high.54.jpg

Morphinity
10-20-2015, 10:18 PM
:tweet: @NYP_Brooksie: Not aware that decision has been made in Columbus, but told that Jackets are looking at Tortorella and Boucher if Todd Richards is dismissed

Boucher would have to break his Swiss contract. He doesn't have a negotiating window right now or an out clause.

Phil in Absentia
10-20-2015, 10:25 PM
Ah, didn't know that. Tortorella would need the Canucks' permission, from what I read earlier. Doubt they'd stand in his way.

Morphinity
10-20-2015, 10:29 PM
Yeah, from 30 Thoughts:

5. As for Todd Richards, when we last saw him, he was coaching a huge underdog at the Worlds (Team USA) to a stunning bronze medal. Can’t imagine he forgot what to do in five months.

If the Blue Jackets eventually do make a change, there’s been a lot of speculation about everyone from Guy Boucher to Jacques Martin (who worked with Kekalainen in Ottawa) to John Tortorella.

One thing about Boucher, who was about 10 minutes from being Toronto’s coach before Mike Babcock called: He does not have an out during the season. He’s at SC Bern in Switzerland and did, at one point, have a 48-hour window to pursue NHL jobs. But that is now closed.

You always look for connections. Others include Davis Payne, who President of Hockey Operations John Davidson hired in St. Louis. But I don’t see Los Angeles allowing it in-season.

Phil in Absentia
10-20-2015, 10:39 PM
For Boucher, yes. Doesn't mention Torts. I read it from a Score article earlier. Hang on, I'll find it...

Mike
10-20-2015, 10:41 PM
That team is more of a Torts team than Vancouver was. I hope he gets the job.

Phil in Absentia
10-20-2015, 10:42 PM
That team is more of a Torts team than Vancouver was. I hope he gets the job.

Columbus? For sure. They're sort of tailor made for him in composition. Especially if his coaching philosophy hasn't really changed since NYR/VAN.

Pete
10-20-2015, 10:47 PM
Torts style is dated. His window was with us and he missed it. He's not fit to be an NHL head coach.

Phil in Absentia
10-20-2015, 10:48 PM
Torts style is dated. His window was with us and he missed it. He's not fit to be an NHL head coach.

If his style won't work, how would Boucher's? They basically coach the same way.

Pete
10-20-2015, 10:50 PM
If his style won't work, how would Boucher's? They basically coach the same way.
I mean the style of hockey. Not how they treat players.

Boucher trap bullshit won't work either.

Phil in Absentia
10-20-2015, 10:57 PM
I mean the style of hockey. Not how they treat players.

Boucher trap bullshit won't work either.

...and Lemaire? Boucher basically emulated the style Lemaire made famous.

I dunno... I think Torts could give it one last go.

Pete
10-20-2015, 11:01 PM
...and Lemaire? Boucher basically emulated the style Lemaire made famous.

I dunno... I think Torts could give it one last go.
That style of hockey is dead. It's why the Bruins and Kings and jackets are bad. Tampa and Chicago and the Rangers are the norm. Fast skilled hockey.

Jackets roster is faulty.

Phil in Absentia
10-20-2015, 11:57 PM
Combined tweets from Aaron Portzline:

:tweet: @Aportzline: #CBJ Brandon Dubinsky on Todd Richards: "It’s not just him. There’s 23 guys in here. He’s working his a** off. He’s trying to change things, make us a better team. For a majority of the seven games so far, we haven't gone out there and executed. It's unfair on our part to play in front of him that way. He cares a lot about winning. He cares deeply about this organization, the city, the fans, the team, the players. I feel like we're letting him down and it's unfortunate. It's a really shitty feeling. It's 100% unfair to put this on him. We put our skates on and play. He puts the game plan together. If we don't execute it, that's on us."

torontonyr
10-21-2015, 01:18 AM
Tort's style won't work - but it will work better with the roster they have now than anything else, at least in my opinion.

Transition the team, hope Torts adjusts, if not - move on.

Future
10-21-2015, 08:08 AM
Torts' adjusts his style. He said that the NYR didn't play the same system that they did in TB and, I'm not really sure what they did in VAN, but I'm assuming it would be nuanced again in CBJ.

RichieNextel305
10-21-2015, 09:21 AM
Reading on Twitter that it is official that Richards is out and Tortorella is in. Will post a link in a minute.