PDA

View Full Version : Article: Ryan Callahan, Brian Boyle and Anton Stralman Return as Former Rangers

Travis Bickle
11-16-2014, 04:21 AM
TAMPA, Fla. - It will be an interesting time for three longtime Rangers Monday night when the Lightning visits Madison Square Garden.

If it were just Brian Boyle, or Anton Stralman, or Ryan Callahan playing in his first game at the Garden as a former Ranger, that would be enough. But all three will be there for the Lightning, and it will make for a different sort of welcome home.

"We haven't talked too much about it, but I think there's a mutual understanding that if there's one game the three of us want to win, it's this one," Stralman said. "It's going to be exciting going in there."

"This is my team now. This is where my loyalties are," Boyle said. "It's different. It's in the past. I have fond memories, a lot of respect for the Rangers, the utmost respect -- it was a blast. I'm thankful to be here, too."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/rangers/ryan-callahan-brian-boyle-and-anton-stralman-return-as-former-rangers-1.9621805

Tonybologna
11-16-2014, 05:04 AM
This is depressing, mostly Boyle and Stralman, especially considering where the team is lacking right now. But mostly because they were right there at the end of the most exciting playoff run I've seen as a fan. Even worse was seeing Dan Boyle signed for only a tiny bit less than what stralman would have cost. Good luck to all of them but not on Monday, and not in the playoffs if they are in our way.

Vodka Drunkenski
11-16-2014, 05:18 AM
Stralmans deal didn't work because of years, not $

momentum
11-16-2014, 06:03 AM
Stralmans deal didn't work because of years, not $Stralman is good bang for the buck even at his current deal and it was a mistake not signing him. Not only would it have made us a better team right now but it would have made the dealings with Staal easier as well.

Respecttheblue
11-16-2014, 09:55 AM
Stralmans deal didn't work because of years, not $

I guess that is true if we were planning to need flexibility in the short term for those same dollars, versus certitude on defense.

Assuming you get a certain level of play/or/bang for your buck 'X' for $4.5M

If Stralman is equivalent bang for the buck X for 2 years at $4.5M, and he's only 28 (still young for Dmen) then why not 5 years through age 32-33?

We essentially replaced the first two years of that bang for buck X with Dan Boyle who's signed for the same.
If we do not resign Boyle at age 37 (hardly likely), then there are 3 more years of bang for the buck X on defense that theoretically need to be replaced.

Unless of course we think we can replace defensive performance X, or close to it, with a younger player in two years' time (to avoid erosion of performance) or spread out/share those defense dollars elsewhere in the defense or even the overall team picture.

I'm kind of liking Boyle, despite the flub last night that led to a goal against, but I want my (cake) Stralman, too, and eat it.

I guess it's a conundrum no one can solve except by winning a cup or by beating Tampa in the playoffs, or by Boyle and his successor equivalently performing at or exceeding Stralman's performance the next 5 years.
:confused:
OK my brain hurts, and I can't see into the future, either, I give up and hope Slats got it right.

NYR2711
11-16-2014, 10:02 AM
Stralman is good bang for the buck even at his current deal and it was a mistake not signing him. Not only would it have made us a better team right now but it would have made the dealings with Staal easier as well.

The only reason Stralman took that deal so cheaply is because he isn't paying as much in taxes on it, so he is making more. Honestly, with the play of Klein and Hunwick, losing Stralman hasn't been that big of an issue. The main problem is injures to the back line. IMO, Boyle is the one we could really use, he has 5 goals already this season, and we have no one for the 3rd line, where he wanted to play.

Karan
11-16-2014, 12:22 PM
Our PK could badly use Boyle out there - that's where his loss is most noticeable and it's really cost us a few games already.

Pete
11-16-2014, 12:31 PM
The only reason Stralman took that deal so cheaply is because he isn't paying as much in taxes on it, so he is making more. Honestly, with the play of Klein and Hunwick, losing Stralman hasn't been that big of an issue. The main problem is injures to the back line. IMO, Boyle is the one we could really use, he has 5 goals already this season, and we have no one for the 3rd line, where he wanted to play.

I'm sorry but the tax issue is totally overblown.
Stralman wanted years that NYR weren't willing to give. Sather has been enamored with DBoyle forever. It was a mistake to take him and not Stralman.

Staal looks awful without Stralman.

Karan
11-16-2014, 12:42 PM
5 years for Stralman given he's only 28 was not a bad term at all. It's similar to the deal that Sather handed out to Rozsival several years ago so I'm not quite sure why he was so stubborn on this one.

phillyb™
11-16-2014, 12:54 PM
staal for stralman and boyle.
ugh. beat them on monday please!

Phil in Absentia
11-16-2014, 01:01 PM
I'm sorry but the tax issue is totally overblown.
Stralman wanted years that NYR weren't willing to give. Sather has been enamored with DBoyle forever. It was a mistake to take him and not Stralman.

Staal looks awful without Stralman.

If it were me, I'd just have found a way to add Boyle in place of Klein, not Strålman.

Myusername
11-16-2014, 01:21 PM
Depressing indeed. Callahan has 13 points in 13 games to boot. Not as upset about him since we really had no choice there

Letting Stralman go is looking more and more like it was the wrong decision. Even more so because it's damn hard to find reliable d-men in the league that can be had.

Monday's game is going to be tough. Tampa is scoring almost 4 goals per game and our defense sucks balls. Could possibly get ugly

McDougalfaschnitzer
11-16-2014, 01:21 PM
You think any of them will get a video nod during a break in play?

Phil in Absentia
11-16-2014, 01:26 PM
Depressing indeed. Callahan has 13 points in 13 games to boot. Not as upset about him since we really had no choice there

Letting Stralman go is looking more and more like it was the wrong decision. Even more so because it's damn hard to find reliable d-men in the league that can be had.

Monday's game is going to be tough. Tampa is scoring almost 4 goals per game and our defense sucks balls. Could possibly get ugly

Playing along side Stamkos.

You think any of them will get a video nod during a break in play?

Only one who'd really "deserve" it is Callahan.

McDougalfaschnitzer
11-16-2014, 01:26 PM

Only one who'd really "deserve" it is Callahan.
That's what I thought too. Would be awkward for the other guys so maybe they should do that haha

Pete
11-16-2014, 01:42 PM

Same can be said of MSL. Fact is, there are guys who wouldn't put up P/G with Stamkos. Cally is.

Phil in Absentia
11-16-2014, 01:46 PM
Same can be said of MSL. Fact is, there are guys who wouldn't put up P/G with Stamkos. Cally is.

Maybe. I'm just saying, he's never been a P/G player in the past, and he's now playing with one, so it's understandable that he's showing that improvement due to quality of line mates... or mate.

Pete
11-16-2014, 01:53 PM
Maybe. I'm just saying, he's never been a P/G player in the past, and he's now playing with one, so it's understandable that he's showing that improvement due to quality of line mates... or mate.

Truth. Fun fact is last I looked, Tyler Johnson leads them in points. Hes not on their line.

Dunny
11-16-2014, 01:57 PM
Yes, Stamkos has actually been much less dominant than usual this year.

Drew a Penalty
11-16-2014, 01:57 PM
Truth. Fun fact is last I looked, Tyler Johnson leads them in points. Hes not on their line.

Yep. He's with Palat and Kucherov.

Pete
11-16-2014, 01:59 PM

Probably that P/G Cally dragging him down! :rofl:

momentum
11-17-2014, 06:45 AM
Yes, Stamkos has actually been much less dominant than usual this year.

Because he's playing with Cally...

AmericanJesus
11-17-2014, 08:49 AM
Maybe Stamkos isn't quite as good (18gp, 11g!, 8a!, 19p!) because he broke his leg and he's admitted it may never be what it was.

jsm7302
11-17-2014, 08:52 AM
Because he's playing with Cally...

When you place Ryan Callahan in a place where Marty St. Louis used to play, you cant expect the same output. MSL is a future HOF'er. Ryan Callahan is a future broadcaster at most. We win the MSL deal all day long/ everyday. Stamkos probably calls MSL daily and bitches about it.

Pete
11-17-2014, 09:32 AM
When you place Ryan Callahan in a place where Marty St. Louis used to play, you cant expect the same output. MSL is a future HOF'er. Ryan Callahan is a future broadcaster at most. We win the MSL deal all day long/ everyday. Stamkos probably calls MSL daily and bitches about it.

Not. Sure. If. Srs.

!br-avery!
11-17-2014, 12:45 PM
Really miss Boyle and Stralman ,both upped their games so much in the playoffs .Boyle for all the shit he got was a solid piece Of the puzzle we had here,who knows when that will be replaced correctly.

Morphinity
11-17-2014, 01:06 PM
I just find it comical that Boyle said he wanted a bigger role, but he's on the 4th line playing an extra 30 seconds per night.

!br-avery!
11-17-2014, 01:32 PM
I just find it comical that Boyle said he wanted a bigger role, but he's on the 4th line playing an extra 30 seconds per night.

That's HUGE !

Dunny
11-17-2014, 01:38 PM

And we have a glaring 3C opening.

Morphinity
11-17-2014, 01:48 PM

He's not a 3C though! That's the point!

Future
11-17-2014, 02:01 PM
5 on 5 Boyle doesn't give you anything that Hayes doesnt...

Vodka Drunkenski
11-17-2014, 02:03 PM
He does in playoffs

Future
11-17-2014, 02:15 PM
He does in playoffs
Meh.

I honestly don't think there is anything more overrated than Brian Boyle in the playoffs. He had 8 points, was a -3, and only played 13 min a night. He did play better in the playoffs than regular season, but he was so irrelevant throughout the season - other than on the PK - that that's not saying much.

Pete
11-17-2014, 02:55 PM
He does in playoffs

And in the faceoff circle, and there are more than just ES minutes played in games.

Vodka Drunkenski
11-17-2014, 03:29 PM
Meh. I honestly don't think there is anything more overrated than Brian Boyle in the playoffs. He had 8 points, was a -3, and only played 13 min a night. He did play better in the playoffs than regular season, but he was so irrelevant throughout the season - other than on the PK - that that's not saying much.

So then you have no issues with Nash? Good regular season player, not so much in the playoffs.

Dunny
11-17-2014, 04:04 PM
5 on 5 Boyle doesn't give you anything that Hayes doesnt...

Oh come on. I just don't agree with this at all.

Phil in Absentia
11-17-2014, 04:23 PM
Five-on-five, Boyle gives you so much more than Hayes — specifically in face-offs (53% to 30%), and in the playoffs, where Boyle has routinely stepped his game up and scored a lot of big goals for the team over the years. Now, to be fair, Hayes hasn't had that opportunity yet, but until he does, and until he performs better, it's just another thing he doesn't bring that Boyle did.

Future
11-17-2014, 04:40 PM
So then you have no issues with Nash? Good regular season player, not so much in the playoffs.
What does one have to do with the other?

Future
11-17-2014, 04:42 PM
Five-on-five, Boyle gives you so much more than Hayes — specifically in face-offs (53% to 30%), and in the playoffs, where Boyle has routinely stepped his game up and scored a lot of big goals for the team over the years. Now, to be fair, Hayes hasn't had that opportunity yet, but until he does, and until he performs better, it's just another thing he doesn't bring that Boyle did.
So you'd rather have Boyle between Hags and Duclair than Hayes?

I wouldn't.

Boyle is an infinitely better 4th liner than Hayes. But third line players have to score, and Boyle has stone hands.

Vodka Drunkenski
11-17-2014, 04:59 PM
What does one have to do with the other?

Similar comparison to your argument.

Vodka Drunkenski
11-17-2014, 05:03 PM
So you'd rather have Boyle between Hags and Duclair than Hayes? I wouldn't. Boyle is an infinitely better 4th liner than Hayes. But third line players have to score, and Boyle has stone hands.

Stone hands would be our 4th leading scorer on the 3rd/4th line.

Pete
11-17-2014, 05:06 PM
So you'd rather have Boyle between Hags and Duclair than Hayes?

I wouldn't.

Boyle is an infinitely better 4th liner than Hayes. But third line players have to score, and Boyle has stone hands.

This year:

Hayes on the third line: 2 goals.
Boyle on the 4th: 5 goals.

Future
11-17-2014, 05:06 PM
Similar comparison to your argument.
I think Boyle's playoff performance is overrated.

I was disappointed in Nash in the playoffs like everyone else.

The two don't have to be exclusive.

Future
11-17-2014, 05:07 PM
This year:

Hayes is a rookie...

Pete
11-17-2014, 05:08 PM
Hayes is a rookie...

Explain what that has to do with the point you were making?

Future
11-17-2014, 05:09 PM
This year:

Hayes is a rookie...if Boyle goes out and has himself a career year, so be it.

Mike
11-17-2014, 05:09 PM

Sather should have countered with:
Same 4th line duties as last year
Same PK duties as last year
3 appearances in Rangerstown commercials

Slobberknocker
11-18-2014, 07:32 PM
shoulda coulda woulda

if my aunt had a jones she would be my uncle.