PDA

View Full Version : Playmaking, Confidence and Creativity Up Over Last Year?

Respecttheblue
11-13-2014, 10:16 PM
I don't know about y'alls but I'm liking the looks of this team even more ... maybe even more than last year.
I think that has something to do with what I'm seeing in terms of Playmaking, Confidence and Creativity. Is it just me or does it seem like they are moving the puck faster and into more space. (I'll turn a blind eye to the sloppy defensive coverage in some really bad games for a moment; I think that can improve.)

While recent years's goals sometimes seemed to depend a few notches more on last ditch efforts on lower-percentage / broken plays, this year I seem to be seeing faster puck movement that's leading into more legit chances. We're not converting them all, but we seem to be getting a lot better looks.

Obviously Nash, Zucc and MSL have been part of this, and Hayes has added a dimension too. Kreider's gotten open, and it seems like the contagion of creativity and confidence is spreading — viz recent surprising goals from Klein and Girardi. Stepan has come back and has fit right into the way they are moving it. Heck even John Moore is looking like he knows what he's doing again.

Is it just something in the water in my part of Nassau, or is anyone else feeling the same?

Respecttheblue
11-13-2014, 11:14 PM
OK bitchez, I will admit the beer I was drinking this evening was extremely suspect.

In fact it was so suspect I would not even mention it. It came in a box called Harpoon Snowed in Selection, "Winter Warmer" and it had freaking nutmeg and cinnamon in it.
Like I said, completely suspect. Musta had something to do with this here thread

Lt. Dan
11-13-2014, 11:17 PM
:rofl:

momentum
11-13-2014, 11:25 PM
Brassard is looking almost elite imo, really playing great, seem less hesitant in his play.

Future
11-14-2014, 09:03 AM
Well the roster has more skill on it, so of course they are doing more things with skill.

Phil in Absentia
11-14-2014, 09:24 AM
I don't know what the data say (I'd imagine it's increased to this sample size year-to-year for specific players), but I do know that the likes of Brassard, Stepan and Nash all look noticeably more effective, and our passing and offense is substantially more entertaining. I don't go into any games thinking "this team can't score", and I no longer feel in every game where the Rangers give up the first goal that the game is now out of reach.

NYR2711
11-14-2014, 09:58 AM
I feel their offensive playmaking, creativity and confidence is up more than we have seen since before Renney, but in the same aspect, I also feel that our defensive confidence has been shot. Its like we have flip flopped our issues. I don't see our defense being any worse than previous years, but there are so many mistakes made in the defensive zone that it is starting to get as frustrating as past years when we had to squeak out 2-1 wins. Too many missed assignments or lack of coverage by both forwards and defensemen. Hopefully they can get it together soon at that end.

phillyb™
11-14-2014, 11:06 AM
:rofl:

my exact reaction to reading blue's second post. hahahah

Pete
11-14-2014, 11:23 AM
It's very hard in this league to push offense and and also be adept at keeping pucks out of your own net.

Seems the Avs and Rangers are 2 teams who did it last year and are having trouble this year, but they've got different reasons.

Lots of teams can run and gun offensively, but you have to be able to defend.

Lt. Dan
11-14-2014, 11:24 AM
;713963]my exact reaction to reading blue's second post. hahahah

Probably the best follow-up post ever

Slobberknocker
11-14-2014, 11:55 AM
There are some good things to like so far. Nash for one. Brass has stepped up, Steps is not as rusty as i expected him to be.

i sort of feel like with Steps and Boyle coming back we are really just starting the season now.

I like the Nash/MSL chemistry so far.

AmericanJesus
11-14-2014, 12:00 PM
It's very hard in this league to push offense and and also be adept at keeping pucks out of your own net.

Seems the Avs and Rangers are 2 teams who did it last year and are having trouble this year, but they've got different reasons.

This. When you have forwards going as soon as you gain possession in the offensive zone then a turnover will often end up in the back of the net. And when defenders are asked to make plays with the puck in the defensive zone to spring offense, they will naturally not be in the best defensive positions.

We have seen the front of our net becoming a liability I think precisely because it's one of the least offensive areas of the ice. You don't want to pass from or receive a pass to there very often. The only reason to be there is to defend.

JOHN
11-14-2014, 12:41 PM

It'll be nice to see where we are with that once McD comes back. I think come deadline time we will need to find someone else in the back end, if for no other reason than depth, but we do have the pieces in the top end to be able to defend much more effectively than we have up until this point.

Respecttheblue
11-14-2014, 02:03 PM
I feel their offensive playmaking, creativity and confidence is up more than we have seen since before Renney, but in the same aspect, I also feel that our defensive confidence has been shot. Its like we have flip flopped our issues. I don't see our defense being any worse than previous years, but there are so many mistakes made in the defensive zone that it is starting to get as frustrating as past years when we had to squeak out 2-1 wins. Too many missed assignments or lack of coverage by both forwards and defensemen. Hopefully they can get it together soon at that end.

I think it's great that they've kinda sorta rediscovered the secrets of creating offense — I really thought at times in the last two years the malaise of not scoring had gotten into their heads so deep they'd never get it out, and each shot would have a tension hitch in it -- forever sending it into the goalie's chest. And I'd say they are not out of the woods yet. It could be fragile.
But, man am I liking seeing more legit wide open chances. I believe that in the playoffs you always have to be able to score one more than the other guys (even if sometimes that means Hank saving one more).

it's very hard in this league to push offense and and also be adept at keeping pucks out of your own net.

On one hand, a bunch of them, at least, can draw some confidence in knowing they wet able to tighten it up last year.
The new ones, not so much perhaps, we'll find out I guess.

On the other hand, they've got all season to work to find that balance between offense and defense. [some of it is work -- back checking effectively] We also have some bodies coming back eventually who might help — 27 — when he gets his sea legs.

I loved seeing the chance they took with Girardi in front of the net. Nice joker card to play once in a while.

Respecttheblue
11-14-2014, 02:13 PM
Brassard is looking almost elite imo, really playing great, seem less hesitant in his play.

I forgot to mention him, but I dig it, definitely.

There seems to be a bit of a transformation there, too.
The guy went through some ups and a down or two. Funny how that happens, but this mix of players, this uptick in offense, seems to help raise the tide of most of the boats.

That said, the other day I was going to ask, OK "how long are we going to be in this slump?" I get the feeling they believe they can turn it on and off at will, almost, which as we've seen before can lead to some *cough* lazy periods in which Hank gets hung out to dry.

Respecttheblue
11-14-2014, 02:16 PM
It'll be nice to see where we are with that once McD comes back. I think come deadline time we will need to find someone else in the back end, if for no other reason than depth, but we do have the pieces in the top end to be able to defend much more effectively than we have up until this point.

If by then it looks like our Forwards are capable of contending, and D is the playoff area needing a little shoring up, it would be hard to criticize Slats for not doing what most GMs in his position would do; help beef up a potential contender. I like that he's shown restraint at the deadline, even when it got a bit frustrating sometimes.

This. When you have forwards going as soon as you gain possession in the offensive zone then a turnover will often end up in the back of the net. And when defenders are asked to make plays with the puck in the defensive zone to spring offense, they will naturally not be in the best defensive positions.

We have seen the front of our net becoming a liability I think precisely because it's one of the least offensive areas of the ice. You don't want to pass from or receive a pass to there very often. The only reason to be there is to defend.

I guess that comes with the territory.

I have the feeling AV won't let that slide too far. And he'll use the next 65 games or so to guide them toward finding that balance. One game recently the attempt to tighten up seemed to go too far…but who knows. I'm more confident in AV not having knee-jerk reactions or going ballistic,but being calm about keeping this team on track. Lot of responsibility for McD, though, I'm guessing with the "leadership group" they are sharing the mental burden.

Future
11-14-2014, 03:28 PM
Mac, playing at a high level, would make a huge difference.

Actually I think our defensive depth is really strong, assuming everyone is healthy. Hunwick's playing well and he's basically our 7th D. Whether everyone plays well throughout the season is anybody's guess, but I actually really like where we're at.

The thing I like most about the way this defense is built, is that you've got three pairs with a stay-at-home guy, and a puck mover. It's not that black and white but in theory, it should allow us to always have a 4 man attack without being too risky.

Ranger Lothbrok
11-16-2014, 12:48 PM
Oh I think we're a much more exciting and creative team already. I wish there were some way to show the stats, but to me it's evident even in the odd-man rushes. I'm seeing a lot of 3-on-2's, 2-on-1's, breakaways, etc.. And surprise surprise, we're actually cashing in on them! When I see MSL breaking down one wing and Nash down the other, and the fans come out of their seats, you get the feeling there's a substantial likelihood the puck ends up in the net.

EVERYONE is playing with more confidence. Kreider, Brass, Nash and even Zook look like different players. Zook's production hasn't been there, but my feeling is that it will be. He plays hard, takes chances, and has superior vision and passing skills. Our guys aren't afraid to make plays for fear of getting benched anymore. They're taking risks and it's paying off.

This is what I hoped would happen when we switched from Torts to AV. Torts inherited a very young team that was up and coming, and drilled the essential defensive elements in to their games. You earned your ice time if you showed you were competent in your own end first. If you were a liability, you sat. Once he and the team grew apart from each other, Vigneault enters the picture as someone willing to take more chances and willing to show more patience. It took a while to set in, but I think our boys are reaching the next stage of their game. Learning the ropes, learning the defensive fundamentals, and then exploring the O-Zone more. There's not a single product of our system that doesn't backcheck like a fiend.

The main issue is to not let the high pace jumble our defensive play, which has been happening. We're running around confused in the defensive zone too often. We used to stand up at the blueline and not even let teams in. Now we chase them around for extended shifts and seem to get pinned often. The injuries certainly haven't helped that, and we've been better of late. But once everyone is healthy, and things (hopefully) settle down more, I think we'll look like a more complete team, and a real contender for that matter.