PDA

View Full Version : The Rangers Handling of Duclair

AmericanJesus
11-12-2014, 01:58 PM
:tweet: Andrew Gross ‏@AGrossRecord AV repeats Duclair is day to day as far as when he plays again. But says he has a skill set he hasn't seen in a lot of young players.

:tweet: Pat Leonard @PLeonardNYDN AV on Duclair: "With my experience & Glen’s experience, who’s been around since the Dark Ages, that we’ll be able to figure it out." #NYR

:tweet: Pat Leonard ‏@PLeonardNYDN Vigneault says Duclair is a part of this team, sometimes for a young player a couple games out is good opp to do video, learn, then apply

We also know that AV said that Duclair has to stick in the top 9 in order to stay in the lineup, but alluded to the fact that if he wasn't in the top 9, that didn't mean he'd be sent back to Juniors. He did play Duclair on the 4th line (when asked about the top 9 thing, he said, "I lied"), but then Duclair came out of the lineup.

Since the Rangers dominated Pittsburgh, I don't see them making any lineup changes other than Boyle going in for Kostka. Duclair likely doesn't get back in until the team faulters.

My question is, given that we've seen more than just preseason now, how do we feel about the way Duclair is being handled by the Rangers?

Please, please, please lets not turn this into a "player X" sucks and Duclair should be in over him thread. This is about the best way to develop a young player. If you think he should be playing in a top 9 role, then say that. We don't have to get into who he'd replace, as that will derail the thread.

Mike
11-12-2014, 02:03 PM
Both the Rangers, and Duclair are handling it perfectly. There's no reason to insert him where he doesn't belong, or where he won't succeed. He has a bright future. It will all come together eventually. Might not be this year, or next, but they're on the right path.

Future
11-12-2014, 02:06 PM
I think its fine. Playing him for 50-60 games in the NHL will give him a lot more than playing a full season of junior.

Morphinity
11-12-2014, 02:08 PM
I think he's being handled very well.

There were two recent instances, by my eye, that clearly show he needs some more work on the defensive aspect of his game. The first was the horrid backcheck on the Toronto shorthanded goal and the second was a play in the EDM game where he got caught chasing a defenseman at the point and let him blow right by him for a shot on net.

He's here to learn. The organization thinks he can learn more here and I agree. He wasn't completely out-classed in any of his games, he's just making some rookie mistakes - what you would expect out of a rookie.

He'll get more playing time this season and hopefully we can see him grow.

Slobberknocker
11-12-2014, 02:38 PM
i like giving him starting goalie time. 60 - games or so. 19 or not you need to go through a full season and the playoffs to understand what it takes. it would be abnormal if he didnt hit a wall at some point.

i dont think sending him back to the Quebec league does anything good right now. AHL yes but not an option.

Phil in Absentia
11-12-2014, 02:41 PM
No issue. I don't think it was all that realistic to expect him to play 82 games anyway (provided he remained healthy enough to play them).

He plays a handful of games, he finds success and failures, and he watches every N number of games in order to correct mistakes and isolate areas he can improve.

Pete
11-12-2014, 02:46 PM
I think it's been great.

The fact that in almost every game he's played in, he looks good shows that AV knows when to play him, and when to sit him, and how much to play him in-game.

However, I hope they let him go to WJCs.

Bretzky
11-12-2014, 02:47 PM
No issue. I don't think it was all that realistic to expect him to play 82 games anyway (provided he remained healthy enough to play them).

He plays a handful of games, he finds success and failures, and he watches every N number of games in order to correct mistakes and isolate areas he can improve.

Agreed.

Very happy with how they've handled him so far.

Sitting and watching video for a little while seems like it may have helped John Moore simplify his game. He played much calmer and more decisive with the puck vs the Penguins IMO. Could've been a case of the whole team playing great so he blended in, but I've got my eye on him for the next few games to see how he looks after returning from the suspension. Last night was a good start though.

Myusername
11-12-2014, 02:58 PM
Unless we have injuries he'll probably go to play for Canada

I do like that he still manages to produce and be noticeable despite his very limited ice time. That's probably why AV hasn't send him down yet. Although not to the extent last year, this team is deep and he's going to have to wait his turn.

Future
11-12-2014, 03:48 PM
Can you come back after playing WJC?

Bretzky
11-12-2014, 03:59 PM
Yes

Slobberknocker
11-12-2014, 04:24 PM
that might be worth doing. he could theoretically go there with a ton of confidence, tear it up there and come back ready to go.

yada
11-12-2014, 04:35 PM
Only thing I dislike about the way duclair and hayes have been handled is lack of 3 period ice time. It reminds too much of how the rangers played too conservative in the post season.

RichieNextel305
11-12-2014, 04:55 PM
I think it's a situation that had the makings of, I don't want to say disaster but maybe some conflict among the fanbase and whatnot. But, the way Vigneault and the staff have handled him has been brilliant IMO. And really, it's situations like this where you really see just how lucky we are to have Vigneault as our coach. He really is one of the best coaches in the sport.

fletch
11-12-2014, 07:22 PM
Competitive ice time helps young players develop. For me it's not just how many games Duclair plays with NYR but also how much ice time is he getting, who are his linemates, and is he facing opposition first and/or second lines.

I may be in the minority but if he was expected to be a healthy scratch 3-4 games in a row I'd rather have him hitting the ice in the minors. Players never like to get sent down but there really is no substitute for playing.

I remain an interested observer. Now that Stepan is back it will be interesting how the lines and ice time shake out for everyone on the roster.

Slobberknocker
11-13-2014, 01:08 PM
before you get into an ice time debate, one of the news paper articles after the pens game showed a pretty even spread between top player and 4 tier player, like +/- 3 minutes. they even cited Nash's shifts being shorter this year.

Ranger Lothbrok
11-13-2014, 01:51 PM
I think he's being handled very well.

There were two recent instances, by my eye, that clearly show he needs some more work on the defensive aspect of his game. The first was the horrid backcheck on the Toronto shorthanded goal and the second was a play in the EDM game where he got caught chasing a defenseman at the point and let him blow right by him for a shot on net.

He's here to learn. The organization thinks he can learn more here and I agree. He wasn't completely out-classed in any of his games, he's just making some rookie mistakes - what you would expect out of a rookie.

He'll get more playing time this season and hopefully we can see him grow.

Agree with this. Frankly, I think this is being handled better than some of our best prospects in recent memory. Nothing's being done to hamper his confidence, and he's not getting the "square peg in round hole" treatment. If he plays, he's playing a situation where he can generate offense. With the exception of the last game he was in where he played on the 4th line, he's not being relegated to a checking role just for the sake of getting him in the lineup.

He's with the big team, he's been on NHL ice, and now he's watching games from an outside, wider perspective. That type of observation often helps young players tremendously. Really puts the chalkboard X and O plays in to context, seeing how they're executed. They want him to succeed, so they're benching him and working through his mistakes, without sending him back to Junior or making him play a style he's not meant to. I'm confident that when he looks ready to execute the offensive game in practice, he'll regain a top 9 role. And if he plays well, he'll keep it.

No problems with his handling at all so far. I think it's perfect for a VERY young, highly skilled player who's only one month in to his NHL career. Teach him without ruining his confidence.

yada
11-13-2014, 05:48 PM
What I like the most about the handling was after the awful back check that led to the sh goal against duclair didnt get benched like I expected. He received a 5 on 5 shift once pp ended

Respecttheblue
11-13-2014, 09:12 PM
Have no problem with him sitting and watching here and there. It's all part of learning and seeing what the NHL game is all bout from different perspectives.

Just like surfers spend some quality time on the beach watching the waves and understanding them, feeling their timing, their rhythms, their set-ups and shifts from a more overall point of view before going back in and surfing again. He should be better for it.

Phil in Absentia
11-13-2014, 09:57 PM
Could see him going in against the Penguins on Saturday.

Respecttheblue
11-13-2014, 10:09 PM
Could see him going in against the Penguins on Saturday.

I think Maloney on the radio this evening was saying he didn't see that happening, but I don't see why not. Maybe give Stemp or Hags a spell.

AmericanJesus
11-13-2014, 10:12 PM
I think Maloney on the radio this evening was saying he didn't see that happening, but I don't see why not. Maybe give Stemp or Hags a spell.

I'd sit Stemp. For a guy that puts up decent numbers for a third liner, he sure doesn't do much.

leetchy2
11-13-2014, 10:32 PM
I'd like to see Duke get a shot on the 3rd line soon: Hags, Hayes, Duclair. Both Hayes and Hagelin are responsible enough back checking and in their own zone, plus Hayes is a good playmaker to set up Duclair for the shot. I think it could work and potentially be an upgrade vs. Stempniak on that line.

Future
11-14-2014, 09:14 AM
I'd like to see Duke get a shot on the 3rd line soon: Hags, Hayes, Duclair. Both Hayes and Hagelin are responsible enough back checking and in their own zone, plus Hayes is a good playmaker to set up Duclair for the shot. I think it could work and potentially be an upgrade vs. Stempniak on that line.
Agreed.

I think Stemp is a bit better in terms of puck possession though, just b/c he's older and stronger.

Myusername
11-14-2014, 07:19 PM
Duclair needs to bulk up, but that will come with time. I doubt he's ever going to be board player, but he does need to at least try to dig pucks out. So far he's been mostly a peripheral player. The nice thing is he isn't lacking in anything that can't be taught or improved on with some experience. Just have to be patient

Myusername
11-14-2014, 07:22 PM
I'd sit Stemp. For a guy that puts up decent numbers for a third liner, he sure doesn't do much.

Doubt Stepniak is sitting... he's doing his job. I'd sit Glass. He's somehow managed to be a -8 in just 16 games and provides all of zero offense. Just don't see the need for him

lefty9
11-15-2014, 10:34 AM
I dont think its a good idea playing two rookies on the same line, we are trying to win not rebuild