PDA

View Full Version : Article: Rick Nash Looks Different This Year

CreaseCrusader91
11-10-2014, 03:24 PM
With 11 goals through the team’s 14 games, Nash holds a share of the league lead for the Maurice Richard Trophy (co-leader Corey Perry of Anaheim was placed on injured reserve Sunday).

Even more impressive is that 10 of Nash’s 11 goals have come at even strength – an NHL best. And since being traded to New York from Columbus during the summer of 2012, a whopping 45 percent of his goals have come in the third period. It’s early, but Nash is on pace for 64 goals, which would crush his previous best of 41 in 2003-04.

Minor hockey coaches who preach the value of “short shifts, boys” would be wise to show their players Nash’s stat line.

Despite averaging more shifts than any other Ranger this season (26.4) and seeing regular action on both the power play and penalty kill, Nash actually skates a minute less per game than his linemates, and two-and-a-half minutes less than he did his first season in the Big Apple.

No one among the NHL’s top-11 goal-getters sees less time on ice. And only one Ranger, fourth-liner Tanner Glass (37 seconds), takes shorter shifts than Nash’s 39-second runs.

Unless there’s a chance to pounce in transition, Nash’s shifts are mostly patience and positioning. His ability to anticipate has yielded 16 takeaways, fifth best in the league. Like a predator sleeping until he sees food, nary a stride is wasted. But when he sniffs an opportunity to score, the feet and hands take over.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/new-york-rangers-rick-nash-wing-goal-scoring-lead-even-strength/

Really good article, I posted the parts I thought were interesting.

RichieNextel305
11-10-2014, 03:37 PM
He does. I hope he knows he has something to prove, and judging by his play thus far, he does. It's not even his goal total that is most impressive. For me, what is most impressive is that he is absolutely dominating play for multiple shifts per game, most of them coming later on in the game.

Phil in Absentia
11-10-2014, 03:40 PM
He looks much the same as he did in the lockout-shortened season, honestly. He was dominating game then, too. The issue over him as a player has, and continues to be, the carry-over effect of his regular season performances to the post-season, which have left much to be desired.

At the end of the day, amazing as he's been, and as awesome as it is to have a 40~ goal scorer on your team, what matters is how well that translates to the post-season IMO. I'd rather have Jeff Carter than Rick Nash if we're judging both players based on their ability to put up when the going gets tough.

If the concussions were the issue, so be it. But he needs to prove that by staying healthy and not trailing off dramatically when April, May and June come into effect. This is all for naught, really, if the same transition of best regular season forward to worst post-season performer continues.

Karan
11-10-2014, 03:43 PM
He's gotten rid of the beard. It was slowing him down last year.

Blue Heaven
11-10-2014, 03:54 PM
He's not playing like a pansy anymore

fletch
11-10-2014, 04:23 PM
Great start to the year. I'm hoping that he continues with this more aggressive personna (getting to the net more frequently, not sitting back and spectating). Of course he will be continued to be judged by what he does or does not do in the playoffs, so we'll have to wait and see.

Future
11-10-2014, 05:31 PM
I just think he wasn't confident that his head wasn't going to turn into mashed potatoes completely. It takes a long time to return from serious concussions.

Pete
11-10-2014, 05:36 PM
I will always cheer for him and be grateful for helping get us to the post season — but you have to do it in the playoffs for any of it to matter.

RichieNextel305
11-10-2014, 05:48 PM
Can't say I disagree there. I hope Nash scores his 60. But, much like the San Jose Sharks, Nash is now going to be judged on what he does come mid-April on from this point on. He has the tools to be a dominant force in a 7-game series, much the same way the Sharks have long had a team that should be feared in a 7-game series. But, in order to actually be feared you have to perform there to give the naysayers something to be worried about.

Nash could score 60 this year. But, if he has another postseason like he did last year, it will be all for nothing. He simply needs to perform there. But, lets worry about that and pray for that when it comes. We need to get there first.

BlueJay
11-10-2014, 06:21 PM
He became a Dad.

momentum
11-10-2014, 06:55 PM
Nasher is gonna prove it in the playoffs as well this year, you can feel he's on a mission. GO NASH! WE LOVE YOU!

Ranger Lothbrok
11-11-2014, 09:48 AM
Honestly, if you had asked me the day after Game 5 vs. LA, I would've had no problem dealing him straight up for Dubi. I would've preferred Dubi's better all-around play, grit and heart. But now, he's playing like the player we thought we were going to get when we made the deal. He's showing how dominant he can be and how talented he truly is.

He's a threat on every shift. He brings fans out of their seats every time he touches the puck. He's not missing when he gets a chance, which to me is a HUGE key difference. He's truly taking over games in every sense of the word.

I wouldn't say the production is worthless if he disappears in the post-season, because absent his production in the regular season we might not draw home ice, and we might not even make it. For better or worse, his regular season play DOES have a bearing on the post-season. That said, he IS a colossal disappointment if he pulls the same shit this season.

The best players, the legendary ones, elevate their game to the next level. They guarantee a win when facing elimination and back it up with a hat trick on away ice. They rob one of the best pure goal scorers in the league on a penalty shot in the in the Stanley Cup finals. They respond to getting benched by burying the first goal of Game 7 in the SCFs.

If he wants to be remembered as a great Ranger, he's gotta show up when it matters. My gut feeling is that if he stays healthy, he'll dominate. He got so close to a Cup, and had Game 5 on his stick in double-OT with a wide open net, and he had it tipped over the crossbar. The Nash of today buries that. I'm going to guess he's gonna be hungry, and he's gonna have a huge chip on his shoulder. He's going to want to show fans and opposing players that he's not someone to be ignored. I think we see one of the most dominant playoff performances in recent Rangers history if he stays healthy. Just a gut feeling.

Future
11-11-2014, 10:16 AM
Nash was hungry last year, and he was gripping it. Being hungry isn't the key for him to succeed. Being loose and confident is.

Pete
11-11-2014, 10:17 AM
Can't say I agree at all. In the playoffs, he wasn't willing to take the puck to the net with authority. He was content to chuck from the outside. This year, he looks to be imposing his will on the slot, and that's a huge difference from last playoffs.

DiJock94
11-11-2014, 12:47 PM
Can't say I agree at all. In the playoffs, he wasn't willing to take the puck to the net with authority. He was content to chuck from the outside. This year, he looks to be imposing his will on the slot, and that's a huge difference from last playoffs.

I agree. His fear of going to the net after his concussion is what caused the down year.

Myusername
11-11-2014, 10:30 PM
I think he's been playing by far his best hockey as a Ranger. He was good when we first traded for him, but this is something else. 16 points in 14 games playing only like 17.5 minutes a games. He's been straight up dominant

That said, his shooting percentage is ridiculous at over 20% and you have to expect that to go down

yada
11-12-2014, 02:33 AM
Like nash but hes still gonna go on a long drought 2 goals in 11 games. Its a long season filled with hot and cold streaks. I think the concussions previous years has really hurt his regular season play. What im most impressed with has been his pk work, playing on the Canadian team really brought out some strong play and made him a better over all hockey player.

Last years playoff were maddening some games I felt he was playing good hockey but not getting rewarded and strong defensively. Biggest problem was as the games became more important he didn't start producing.

Slobberknocker
11-12-2014, 12:26 PM
how can you not love what he's doing right now. that being said, show me in apr/may/june.

Dunny
11-12-2014, 12:31 PM
It's not like he's choked in the playoffs for 5 straight years though.

I think he'll be fine because I don't understand what's so different about playoff hockey other than the season being over if you lose part.

Phil in Absentia
11-12-2014, 12:34 PM

I think he'll be fine because I don't understand what's so different about playoff hockey other than the season being over if you lose part.

Higher intensity rate, on average. Less (almost no) fighting. Faster pace.

And as you mentioned, the season-ending aspect of every game actually meaning something.

In short, the temperature of a game in November is probably not even a tenth as "hot" as one played in May or June.

Pete
11-12-2014, 12:39 PM
Higher intensity rate, on average. Less (almost no) fighting. Faster pace.

And as you mentioned, the season-ending aspect of every game actually meaning something.

In short, the temperature of a game in November is probably not even a tenth as "hot" as one played in May or June.

And you're playing against the best teams who all have a plan for you.

Morphinity
11-12-2014, 12:41 PM

Well, it's been two straight years, so it's still not a good amount of time.

And in playoff hockey, line/D matchups are way more common/easier than in the regular season.

The level of understanding of your opponent and preparation in a 7 game series rather than a random regular season game is far greater.

JOHN
11-12-2014, 12:49 PM
And you've also played a full season worth of games at that point. You're body isn't in the same state.

Morphinity
11-12-2014, 12:53 PM
Yeah, there's a lot of differences between playoff hockey and regular season hockey lol

Future
11-12-2014, 02:09 PM
I think he's been playing by far his best hockey as a Ranger. He was good when we first traded for him, but this is something else. 16 points in 14 games playing only like 17.5 minutes a games. He's been straight up dominant

That said, his shooting percentage is ridiculous at over 20% and you have to expect that to go down
Someone - maybe Katie Strang? - posted an article about his shooting percentage. Just by law of averages, you would expect it to go down. But, he's mostly taking high percentage shots. It's not like he's scoring on seeing-eye wristers or anything like that. The only reason his shooting percentage would go down is if he starts to settle for those weak shots that he got in the playoffs.

Myusername
11-12-2014, 03:05 PM
It's going down... it's unheard of for any player to maintain a shooting percentage that high. Even 15% is pretty rare

That said, he will face his demons in the playoffs again. I am curious to see if he can overcome them. Regular season is not even remotely comparable to the playoffs

Travis Bickle
11-13-2014, 02:22 AM
Rick Nash entered Wednesday’s action tied with the Stars’ Tyler Seguin for the league lead with 12 goals. He has also called himself a streaky player, and thinks that his maturity is going to be able to keep his hot start rolling.

“I think at a young age, you try to switch and do too much when you’re struggling,” he said. “As you get older, I think you learn sometimes simple is better.”

As for thinking about possible year-end totals — he is on pace for 66 goals — that isn’t even on his mind.

“It’s good,” he said, “but there are so many games left and so much more hockey.”

http://nypost.com/2014/11/12/the-conundrum-the-rangers-have-with-anthony-duclair/

---

Keep it rolling Rick.

Respecttheblue
11-13-2014, 09:33 AM

And there we have it.

So, barring injuries and other team issues, time — or rather the months of April May June — will tell, if we're lucky enough to make it there with Nash, Henrik and all the vital players that make this team a legit contender, intact.

That being said, the other day I WONDERED what his thought process might be if if Rick Nash had said to himself, "You know, I could have been the difference there; we were just that far away, and I cold have been that difference if I had played like I/people think I could have (or had I been able to play like I once was able to)." Of course, we know Nash was coming off a concussion that left him a shadow of himself, other injuries, so it's done, it is what it is, we've seen Staal, Jagr, Gaborik, all come off injuries that left them less of a player for a significant period of time, and it's just bad luck. But that thought process, if it occurred, might lead to him thinking, "you know, I'm healthy now, I don't want to let anther opportunity like that slip away."

DiJock94
11-13-2014, 11:08 AM
And there we have it.

So, barring injuries and other team issues, time — or rather the months of April May June — will tell, if we're lucky enough to make it there with Nash, Henrik and all the vital players that make this team a legit contender, intact.

That being said, the other day I WONDERED what his thought process might be if if Rick Nash had said to himself, "You know, I could have been the difference there; we were just that far away, and I cold have been that difference if I had played like I/people think I could have (or had I been able to play like I once was able to)." Of course, we know Nash was coming off a concussion that left him a shadow of himself, other injuries, so it's done, it is what it is, we've seen Staal, Jagr, Gaborik, all come off injuries that left them less of a player for a significant period of time, and it's just bad luck. But that thought process, if it occurred, might lead to him thinking, "you know, I'm healthy now, I don't want to let anther opportunity like that slip away."

He's also in the best physical shape he's been in since his early 20s, that's definitely been one of the biggest contributors

RangersRule2
11-17-2014, 12:41 AM
He's scoring from 5-15 feet, last year and playoffs he was on the perimeter the whole time.

phillyb™
11-17-2014, 12:02 PM
he just needs to keep doing what he's doing.
get to the front of the net, ricky!