PDA

View Full Version : Good Chance NHL Salary Cap Will Not Increase Next Season

Phil in Absentia
11-09-2014, 01:11 PM
TORONTO — NHL general managers are no longer operating under the assumption that the cap is going to increase next season.

The projected decline in the Canadian dollar — up at least temporarily a tick to 88 cents on the U.S. dollar as of Friday — has had an impact on discussions regarding extensions in at least three cases, front office sources have told The Post.

Further anecdotal evidence suggests these are not isolated instances.

Given the fixation of escrow under which the players currently are having 14 percent of their pay withheld, it certainly is a realistic possibility the NHLPA will not exercise a 5-percent escalator for 2015-16.

That might mean a stagnant cap in the $69 million range, which fall some $5 million to $6 million shy of previous optimistic projections.

That would mean that clubs facing a cap crunch now cannot responsibly count on relief for next season. That has put a hold on extension negotiations.

http://nypost.com/2014/11/08/theres-a-good-chance-the-nhl-salary-cap-wont-increase/

--

Or in other words, the Rangers.

This might explain the teams' hardline stance on Staal's negotiation.

Drew a Penalty
11-09-2014, 01:14 PM
That could hurt big time on some upcoming extensions. One or two key guys are definitely getting let go if the cap doesn't increase.

Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc
11-09-2014, 01:17 PM
That could hurt big time on some upcoming extensions. One or two key guys are definitely getting let go if the cap doesn't increase.

What's the chance of that being Zucc?

Drew a Penalty
11-09-2014, 01:25 PM

I have no idea. Staal, St. Louis and Zuccarello are upcoming UFAs. Hagelin and Stepan are upcoming RFAs. This is just my opinion, but I think we see Staal and one of Zuccarello/Hagelin on the way out if the cap doesn't go up.

CreaseCrusader91
11-09-2014, 02:33 PM
I think it is still to early too tell. TV revenue, playoff revenue, Stadium Series and WC revenue isn't accounted yet. All of those figures equal big dollars, so I think at the very least we can see a $1-$2M increase.

fletch
11-09-2014, 03:36 PM
Bad news if the cap doesn't rise, not only for the Rangers but for the league. Finances not as rosy as hoped?

EdMc28
11-09-2014, 11:22 PM

With the way he's playing I don't think he's going to get a raise. Putting all of that stuff aside I really don't think he's going to ask for a boatload of money in any case. He's always come off as the ultimate team player whenever someones asked him about contract situations.

Pete
11-10-2014, 06:09 AM
With the way he's playing , maybe we let him walk.

DiJock94
11-10-2014, 06:50 AM
Only guy I see having an issue keeping is hagelin wee got him pretty cheap right now

Morphinity
11-10-2014, 10:04 AM
Bad news if the cap doesn't rise, not only for the Rangers but for the league. Finances not as rosy as hoped?

The Canadian dollar vs. US dollar is back to pre-recession levels, basically. A lot of the league's success over the past 5 or 6 years has been due to the strength of the Canadian dollar.

fletch
11-10-2014, 04:20 PM
The Canadian dollar vs. US dollar is back to pre-recession levels, basically. A lot of the league's success over the past 5 or 6 years has been due to the strength of the Canadian dollar.

CANADA (shaking fists in frustration)

CreaseCrusader91
12-08-2014, 06:16 PM
:tweet: @SWhyno:
"Preliminary" cap estimate for 2015-16 is roughly $73 million, commissioner Gary Bettman said. This is depending on Canadian dollar.

RichieNextel305
12-08-2014, 06:21 PM
That would help.

Phil in Absentia
12-08-2014, 08:24 PM
Would help a lot. We're talking about an extra $4M, potentially. That's significant.