PDA

View Full Version : How Underrated is Carl Hagelin?

Pete
11-08-2014, 09:34 PM
Guy does nothing but score clutch goals. I keep him no matter what. Great player.

CreaseCrusader91
11-08-2014, 09:58 PM
Considering where he was drafted, he's done nothing but exceed expectations.

Phil in Absentia
11-08-2014, 10:04 PM
There is no such thing as "no matter what". Every player has two sets of value -- value to the team and value to the market. When a guys value to the market vastly out weighs his value to the team, the only "no matter what" scenario that occurs, or should, is letting him go and/or trading him. See Callahan, Ryan.

He's a great fit on this team, and his playoff performances are extremely valuable, but he has to be on the right ticket.

High and Wide
11-08-2014, 10:08 PM
I think he is certainly a valuable player, but I think he is still undisciplined. He takes some pretty reckless penalties. Tonight it cost us an early lead.

That said, every time I say something about his recklessness to someone, he proves his value elsewhere.

!br-avery!
11-08-2014, 11:31 PM
Solid player and a Playoff player. Can be pretty clutch.

Vodka Drunkenski
11-09-2014, 01:37 AM
I think he is certainly a valuable player, but I think he is still undisciplined. He takes some pretty reckless penalties. Tonight it cost us an early lead. That said, every time I say something about his recklessness to someone, he proves his value elsewhere.

Tonight wasn't a reckless penalty, it was an awful call

Pete
11-09-2014, 01:39 AM
I think he is certainly a valuable player, but I think he is still undisciplined. He takes some pretty reckless penalties. Tonight it cost us an early lead.

That said, every time I say something about his recklessness to someone, he proves his value elsewhere.As a smaller player , he has to have an edge.

There is no such thing as "no matter what". Every player has two sets of value -- value to the team and value to the market. When a guys value to the market vastly out weighs his value to the team, the only "no matter what" scenario that occurs, or should, is letting him go and/or trading him. See Callahan, Ryan.

He's a great fit on this team, and his playoff performances are extremely valuable, but he has to be on the right ticket.
There is for me. I don't. Think he'll get greedy. He's a key player who can play on any line, PK, and proven playoff performer on a team lacking.

fletch
11-09-2014, 09:30 AM
Hagelin is one of my favorite players on the team, so I'm biased in his favor. His speed can provide instant offense when he gets sprung on a breakaway, and he's found more ways to contribute in the offensive zone and on the PK.

JOHN
11-09-2014, 09:55 AM
What I like about him now especially is his confidence. You can see with the way he plays and skates, he's very confident in his role and what he had to do on the ice.

G1000
11-09-2014, 10:06 AM
As a smaller player , he has to have an edge.

There is for me. I don't. Think he'll get greedy. He's a key player who can play on any line, PK, and proven playoff performer on a team lacking.

A guy like that....you give him his raise and give him security.

cousin
11-09-2014, 10:46 AM
Love hagelin on the kill and forecheck. Not a skilled top line guy but definitely effective in the right role.

Respecttheblue
11-09-2014, 11:16 AM
One of my favorite Rangers since watching him in his last year in some U Mich games on TV. Personally I think he's underrated, but I'll admit I tend to see the good with Hagelin and less the things that drive some folk a bit nuts.

He wore the "C" on Red Berenson's team indicating there's more to this kid than just hustle, clutch goals, great forechecking, and a nice flow.

IMO Good thing he's an RFA and not a UFA.
I see more upside to him, and hope we can keep him as long as possible.

Right now he's a deal at $2-pointwhatevermillion. Rangers should get to keep him a couple more years at a more favorable rate as an RFA.
After that who knows ? Seems like a perfect fit on a team that wants to compete, like the NYR.

NYRangers723
11-09-2014, 11:38 AM
Always bee a hags fan. Underrated for sure.

Myusername
11-09-2014, 12:03 PM
Not sure he's really underrated... a lot of people around the league know him because he's the fastest or one of the fastest skaters in the league.

That said, it's impossible not to like him. You know exactly what you're going to get from him every game, and that is 100% effort. I do wish his hands were a little better, but for a 6th round pick that's being greedy. He kind of reminds of Jeter in a sense minus the celebrity. Not the greatest player but he'll give you the same output every season and score some big goals along the way

Pete
11-09-2014, 12:06 PM
Yea, he's underrated for sure. Especially by folks here. I used to be one. He's included in many trade proposal and salary dumps and talked about like he's expendable.

People knowing how fast he is is one thing. Knowing how good he is is another.

NYRangers723
11-09-2014, 12:48 PM
Yea, he's underrated for sure. Especially by folks here. I used to be one. He's included in many trade proposal and salary dumps and talked about like he's expendable.

agreed. Now i would trade him in the right deal but some fans act like he is a throw in. He is a great penalty killer who can give you 15-18 goals on the third line

CreaseCrusader91
11-09-2014, 12:56 PM
He's another player who'd be missed when gone, and we'd pay to try and replace.

Drew a Penalty
11-09-2014, 01:13 PM
I've always been iffy regarding him. I love what he offers with his speed and at times he great, but he's also just not the most intelligent player. He's such a bland offensive player and so much of his offense involves him taking a slapshot off the rush or cycling the puck endlessly. I'd keep him if the price is right, but there are going to be teams looking for that kind of speed and that will try and make a top 6 player out of him.

Phil in Absentia
11-09-2014, 01:16 PM

I don't either, but that's not a guarantee, and in the event he does push his ask, "no matter what" goes out the window IMO.

Especially with the Brooks report this morning about the NHL salary cap potentially not increasing next season.

phillyb™
11-09-2014, 01:44 PM
fell asleep right after he tied the game.
played well last night from what i saw.
i recall him getting a bit of shit last season, but i'm sure that was topical.

i 62 hags

Myusername
11-09-2014, 04:58 PM

Hagelin is not really a hot topic because we all know what to expect from him and we usually get. There's really nothing to talk about (or argue about) with him. I guess in that sense he's underrated... but I doubt Rangers fans forgot about him or whatever. He's not really good enough to warrant a multi-page appreciation thread nor is he bad enough for a whipping boy thread. We'd much rather argue about Glass and Malone all day because they're way more polarizing and the opinions are much more split there. Whereas with Hagelin I think we can all agree that he's a good but not great player that will show up every night

Pete
11-09-2014, 06:08 PM
Well the fact that you're saying he isn't good enough to warrant a multi page appreciation thread goes to show how underrated he is.

He lead the team in playoff goals last year. Yea, you can say that was because our stars didn't perform, and you're right, but someone had to lead in goals and it wasn't Zuccarello, or Boyle or Moore...it was Hags.

Dunny
11-09-2014, 06:11 PM
Solid. "Does what it says on the can" type. Like a guided missile on the forecheck. Limited by his really average set of hands though.

Pete
11-09-2014, 06:33 PM
Does it again.

Bretzky
11-09-2014, 10:01 PM
Guy does nothing but score clutch goals. I keep him no matter what. Great player.

Hagelin is one player we 100% agree on.

His speed alone allows him to pressure and force turnovers consistently.

He makes clutch plays under pressure, his work along the boards is so underrated. For a smaller guy, he spins off checks and works the corners and behind the net with the best of em.

I'm so glad we didn't trade him for some short-term upgrade.

I hope he's a career Ranger, and I agree: I don't think he gets greedy. He may end up wearing an A later in his career if he stays in NY. He's been a positive for us much more often than not. I actually can't remember many games at all where I was like "GOD DAMNIT, WTF HAGELIN?" after the game is over.

Since he came up, he's been a consistent hard-worker and a clutch performer who has the kind of skillset where he can play on any line and be effective. 1st line he won't hold even the best players back. 4th line he can still use his speed to be an effective checker while contributing secondary scoring no matter who he's playing with .

He definitely deserves this thread. (I just hope he doesn't start sucking now like Hunwick did after his thread went up :P Love ya Pete)

The Dude
11-09-2014, 11:29 PM
Was never big on the guy. Saw him as weak and lacking hands big time. Kind of inconsistent.

Then last years playoffs happened, and the guy was just everywhere and aggressive on offense by going to the net.

Hes definitely grown on me. Seems to be hardened. Not afraid of making mistakes by knowing his own boundaries.

With that being said, i still deal him in a package to land a need like a legit 1st line center. Old or young.

Phil in Absentia
11-10-2014, 09:27 AM
Hagelin, to me, is almost what guys like Dan Cleary did for the Wings years back. Never someone to light up the scoring charts or really "wow" you with all-world talent, but his execution and effectiveness were almost surgical when it mattered most — the playoffs.

That, and Pete and I do agree here completely, is almost invaluable.

lefty9
11-10-2014, 09:35 AM
I do feel that he is underrated around here, he doesn't have to score to contribute

Morphinity
11-10-2014, 10:03 AM
He's certainly come a long way. The playoffs last year were a revelation for him. Earlier last season I felt he was overrated because of his speed. He wasn't contributing much more than that. But he's proven to be quite an effective player over the last 40-50 games played.

Respecttheblue
11-10-2014, 10:11 AM
He's another player who'd be missed when gone, and we'd pay to try and replace.

exactly.

and there's only so much replacing of players like this that you can do before you are just no longer the same team — and in particular no longer as fast of a team.

as a prime example of this team's speed identity and strategy, he helps create that critical mass of overwhelming speed hustle and forechecking, along with Kreider especially when this team is doing well. In addition he's a clutch goal scorer, and IMO very underrated on BSBH as such. One of few players to actually step up his goalscoring pace from .23 to .28 per game in the playoffs.

I remember years ago when Hagelin won the fastest skater competition at the all-star game, and was dumbfounded at how little interest there was on BSBH in that very promising sign of what might be in Hagelin's future. (Sure it was just a skiing competition, but this was the Michigan captain, and a player who had a knack for scoring already.)

Slobberknocker
11-10-2014, 10:19 AM
love the guy. definately a lunch pail guy which every team needs to be a winner.

that being said if the guys hands were a bit better he'd be lethal.

Future
11-10-2014, 10:39 AM
He is a perfect bottom 6 forward. A guy you need to win, but is limited in what he can do. A glue guy, if you will.

Mike
11-10-2014, 10:53 AM
As a smaller player , he has to have an edge.

You may be right, but I think if push comes to shove, he signs here for less than he would somewhere else. Depending on the amount, of course. Like Zuc, he has ties, and friends here. That doesn't always play a part in everyone's decision, but like I said above, he'll stay here for a little less.

momentum
11-10-2014, 06:58 PM
I agree with the orginial post