PDA

View Full Version : Recalled/Assigned: Chris Mueller Returned to Hartford

Phil in Absentia
11-06-2014, 01:17 PM
:tweet: @NYRangers: OFFICIAL: #NYR have assigned forward Chris Mueller to the @WolfPackAHL.

:tweet: @HartnettHockey: Rangers have assigned forward Chris Mueller to the Hartford Wolf Pack of the AHL. #NYR

--

Would imagine Stepan is nearing a return. Playing Saturday, maybe?

Mike
11-06-2014, 01:23 PM
Looks that way. I hope it doesn't take him long to get back into game shape. I can see the melted marshmallow oozing out of his pores for a week or 2

SyKeS
11-06-2014, 01:29 PM
Question is, do you keep the line of MSL-Brass-Nash or split them up and put in Stepan? Have a feeling he'll slot in with Zucc and Kreids.

Slobberknocker
11-06-2014, 01:45 PM
so does this mean hayes sticks for now?

Dunny
11-06-2014, 01:51 PM
Wow thought it'd be Hayes.

momentum
11-06-2014, 01:52 PM
Love Hayes, glad he's given this opportunity.

Pete
11-06-2014, 01:55 PM
Wow thought it'd be Hayes.

It should be Hayes. He has more to gain in the AHL than Mueller, and less to learn in the NHL than Mueller.

Future
11-06-2014, 01:58 PM
Question is, do you keep the line of MSL-Brass-Nash or split them up and put in Stepan? Have a feeling he'll slot in with Zucc and Kreids.
I'd actually put Stepan in Moore's spot, between Hags and Duclair...at least until we know he's in game shape. That should give us a little more punch throughout the lineup without breaking up any chemistry that might have been established. Maybe it will even help get a bit more out of Duke.

CreaseCrusader91
11-06-2014, 02:25 PM
It should be Hayes. He has more to gain in the AHL than Mueller, and less to learn in the NHL than Mueller.
Mueller had to be assigned for contractual reasons. He cleared waivers 30 days ago, so he had to be assigned or be "recalled" again.

So really I see this as a paper move in which Hayes could end up swapping with him.

Ba Ba Bluey
11-06-2014, 03:01 PM
Looks that way. I hope it doesn't take him long to get back into game shape. I can see the melted marshmallow oozing out of his pores for a week or 2

Like a human rice crispy treat...

Pete
11-06-2014, 03:03 PM

:repped:

Bretzky
11-06-2014, 09:28 PM
Pete, clearly the coaching staff has disagreed with you at every turn so far regarding Hayes. Please stop with the should stuff.

They like him at center for now and they see him as a NHL player THIS SEASON. He has leapfrogged Miller and it's now his spot to lose. He's learning (yes, at the NHL level) and he has so much potential, that they are willing to live with any growing pains while he develops his game at the highest level with the best linemates. He's very close to being an impact player already; just needs a little fine-tuning and to get used to the timing of the NHL game. He's going to be a possession monster in this league for a long time. They clearly like his overall game more than JT Miller's or Chris Mueller's.

Mike
11-06-2014, 10:47 PM

hahahahaha

Pete
11-07-2014, 07:40 AM
Pete, clearly the coaching staff has disagreed with you at every turn so far regarding Hayes. Please stop with the should stuff.

They like him at center for now and they see him as a NHL player THIS SEASON. He has leapfrogged Miller and it's now his spot to lose. He's learning (yes, at the NHL level) and he has so much potential, that they are willing to live with any growing pains while he develops his game at the highest level with the best linemates. He's very close to being an impact player already; just needs a little fine-tuning and to get used to the timing of the NHL game. He's going to be a possession monster in this league for a long time. They clearly like his overall game more than JT Miller's or Chris Mueller's.

No one tells you to stop giving your opinion, so don't tell me to stop giving mine.

He definitely isn't close to being an impact player, and he definitely does need fine tuning, and that's the reason he should go to the A...To DEVELOP. People here just seem to like to rush everyone and have no patience.

Future
11-07-2014, 09:01 AM
No one tells you to stop giving your opinion, so don't tell me to stop giving mine.

He definitely isn't close to being an impact player, and he definitely does need fine tuning, and that's the reason he should go to the A...To DEVELOP. People here just seem to like to rush everyone and have no patience.
Except for everyone who wants to hold on to McIlrath lol

Phil in Absentia
11-07-2014, 09:54 AM
Both Hayes and Miller have noticeable draw-backs. With Miller, it's probably some off-ice/attitude issues, which he seems to have corrected, and defensively he reminds me a lot of early years Dubinsky where great plays and great games are nullified by brain farts and give-aways that tend to cost the team. Over time, these can be ironed out as the player learns.

With Hayes, it's his offense that suffers, and especially his ability to win a face-off. There is no worse center on this team right now than him at the dot. In fact, his 26.3 FO% is dead last by miles. Dom Moore is at 55.2%, Brassard is at 56.2% and Mueller is/was at 59.4%. That's not negligible. Especially for a guy who is "going to be a possession monster in this league for a long time". Possession requires actually owning the puck, which he can't do off the drop. That puts him always behind the eight ball on plays where he has to defensively recover it in order to possess it.

Bretzky
11-07-2014, 10:03 AM

I guess AV and the coaching staff are just like everyone here who want to rush everyone and have no patience since they are the ones who decided to keep Hayes up to begin with and now seem content to continue to see how he handles certain situations at this level.

It's fine to have an opinion, but the "should" stuff makes it seem like you're saying AV and the coaching staff and everyone who agrees with them is wrong, and you are right and that's fact. That's all I meant by it. No offense intended.

Bretzky
11-07-2014, 10:07 AM
Both Hayes and Miller have noticeable draw-backs. With Miller, it's probably some off-ice/attitude issues, which he seems to have corrected, and defensively he reminds me a lot of early years Dubinsky where great plays and great games are nullified by brain farts and give-aways that tend to cost the team. Over time, these can be ironed out as the player learns.

With Hayes, it's his offense that suffers, and especially his ability to win a face-off. There is no worse center on this team right now than him at the dot. In fact, his 26.3 FO% is dead last by miles. Dom Moore is at 55.2%, Brassard is at 56.2% and Mueller is/was at 59.4%. That's not negligible. Especially for a guy who is "going to be a possession monster in this league for a long time". Possession requires actually owning the puck, which he can't do off the drop. That puts him always behind the eight ball on plays where he has to defensively recover it in order to possess it.

Possession numbers have to do with a lot more than faceoffs, though.

Yes, they're a part of it, and they are a part of his game that is no doubt correctable. Most rookie centers (let alone career-wingers being asked to play center) don't come into the NHL and dominate the dot. Sidney Crosby was pretty bad at faceoffs his rookie season. He's now more than adequate on draws. Hayes will no doubt improve on faceoffs. That's a tiny issue to me development-wise. His ability to handle the puck, protect the puck, draw coverage with patience, and pass the puck to someone's tape are the more important factors leading to his strong possession game.

Pete
11-07-2014, 10:10 AM
I guess AV and the coaching staff are just like everyone here who want to rush everyone and have no patience since they are the ones who decided to keep Hayes up to begin with and now seem content to continue to see how he handles certain situations at this level.

It's fine to have an opinion, but the "should" stuff makes it seem like you're saying AV and the coaching staff and everyone who agrees with them is wrong, and you are right and that's fact. That's all I meant by it. No offense intended.

Well it wasn't that long ago that we had a coach that you didn't agree with and you had no issue voicing your opinion relentlessly about it. And you have no issue voicing your opinion about moves that are made by the GM. So if you're going to say "the staff knows best", then say "the staff knows best" all the time. Don't just say the staff knows best when they do something you agree with.

These guys are not infallible. They make mistakes all the time. If they do something I don't agree with, it's just my opinion, same as everyone else shares theirs. It was the opinion of a lot of people that we should have taken Tarasenko, but they took McIlrath. Looks like a guy likes Chappie was right, and Gordie Clark was wrong. Sometimes these guys fuck up, they are human, too.

Bretzky
11-07-2014, 10:21 AM
Well it wasn't that long ago that we had a coach that you didn't agree with and you had no issue voicing your opinion relentlessly about it. And you have no issue voicing your opinion about moves that are made by the GM. So if you're going to say "the staff knows best", then say "the staff knows best" all the time. Don't just say the staff knows best when they do something you agree with.

These guys are not infallible. They make mistakes all the time. If they do something I don't agree with, it's just my opinion, same as everyone else shares theirs. It was the opinion of a lot of people that we should have taken Tarasenko, but they took McIlrath. Looks like a guy likes Chappie was right, and Gordie Clark was wrong. Sometimes these guys fuck up, they are human, too.

They're not stupid though.

Saying that Chappie was right and Clark was wrong doesn't tell the whole story.

I could disagree with every draft pick we make and then whichever one busts first, I can say I was right.

My point is, Clark didn't draft McIlrath because he thought the player we all watched a few nights ago is a good player. He drafted him because he thought he would develop into something much better than he ended up developing into. If McIlrath had developed the way Clark thought he would, we'd all be buying McIlrath jerseys and talking about him wearing an A in the future. The draft is not a perfect science and there are busts taken in the first round every year. Obviously this is a special case as the McIlrath pick was a few picks off board and there seemed to be better choices, and in hindsight there were, but it happens. Clark tried to hit a home-run and failed miserably.

But back to our debate, arguing if they took the right guy in a draft is totally different than arguing that Chris Mueller should play over Hayes. First of all, Mueller isn't part of their long-term plans. Hayes is. They view the two differently and hold them to different standards right now. Secondly, the draft is about projecting, anticipating, for lack of a better word, GUESSING what a player is going to turn into / develop into years down the line. (ie: even Tarasenko, the flavor of the month: we didn't know just how good he was going to be in the NHL until last season, maybe even this season to see how really dominant he can be and how he can take over games. That's the fruits of a draft pick from 4+ years ago just coming to fruition now). Whereas the coaches see their players every day and talk to them, know a lot more than we do, so as far as lineup decisions, it's a lot harder for me to nitpick when I don't have all the info. GM decisions are different as there's always open debate about the balance of planning for the future and going for The Cup this season. And yes, you're right I'm being a bit of a hypocrite because I disagreed vehemently with many of Tortorella's decisions. So I'll stop rambling now. :P

Pete
11-07-2014, 10:29 AM
They're not stupid though.

Saying that Chappie was right and Clark was wrong doesn't tell the whole story.

I could disagree with every draft pick we make and then whichever one busts first, I can say I was right.

My point is, Clark didn't draft McIlrath because he thought the player we all watched a few nights ago is a good player. He drafted him because he thought he would develop into something much better than he ended up developing into. If McIlrath had developed the way Clark thought he would, we'd all be buying McIlrath jerseys and talking about him wearing an A in the future. The draft is not a perfect science and there are busts taken in the first round every year. Obviously this is a special case as the McIlrath pick was a few picks off board and there seemed to be better choices, and in hindsight there were, but it happens. Clark tried to hit a home-run and failed miserably.

But back to our debate, arguing if they took the right guy in a draft is totally different than arguing that Chris Mueller should play over Hayes. First of all, Mueller isn't part of their long-term plans. Hayes is. They view the two differently and hold them to different standards right now. Secondly, the draft is about projecting, anticipating, for lack of a better word, GUESSING what a player is going to turn into / develop into years down the line. (ie: even Tarasenko, the flavor of the month: we didn't know just how good he was going to be in the NHL until last season, maybe even this season to see how really dominant he can be and how he can take over games. That's the fruits of a draft pick from 4+ years ago just coming to fruition now). Whereas the coaches see their players every day and talk to them, know a lot more than we do, so as far as lineup decisions, it's a lot harder for me to nitpick when I don't have all the info. GM decisions are different as there's always open debate about the balance of planning for the future and going for The Cup this season. And yes, you're right I'm being a bit of a hypocrite because I disagreed vehemently with many of Tortorella's decisions. So I'll stop rambling now. :P

Yes, I know all of this. I know how the draft works. I know the differences between Hayes and Mueller and their depth in the organization. This is all obvious.

Hayes has a lot to learn. He does good things, but he does bad things, too. Mueller has played well. There is no reason, IMO, that he can't play here while Hayes goes to the AHL and gets the fine tuning that you already said he needed. When he tighten up some areas of his game, he comes up and Mueller goes down. I have no problem bringing players along slowly and letting them develop. There's not a doubt in my mind that if Duclair was AHL eligible, he'd be there right now. And I'd have no issue with that. You send guys down and it's not the end of the world. You can always recall them.

DiJock94
11-07-2014, 10:42 AM
Yes, I know all of this. I know how the draft works. I know the differences between Hayes and Mueller and their depth in the organization. This is all obvious.

Hayes has a lot to learn. He does good things, but he does bad things, too. Mueller has played well. There is no reason, IMO, that he can't play here while Hayes goes to the AHL and gets the fine tuning that you already said he needed. When he tighten up some areas of his game, he comes up and Mueller goes down. I have no problem bringing players along slowly and letting them develop. There's not a doubt in my mind that if Duclair was AHL eligible, he'd be there right now. And I'd have no issue with that. You send guys down and it's not the end of the world. You can always recall them.

I personally think his size down the middle is the only thing that's kept him from being sent down