PDA

View Full Version : Who Gives a Rat's Ass About Fenwick When Hunwick?

Pete
11-05-2014, 11:23 PM
This signing was glossed over and even crapped on, and even even his camp was poo-poo'd by many.

But he's worth his contract just for what he's doing right now. Probably our best D behind G, and giving this team what it desperately needed since moving DZ - a FUCKIN stretch pass attack.

No telling of he keeps it up, but he's been well worth it just for this stretch of games, even if he goes to the shitter later.

I'd be SO much more comfortable with him on the 3rd pair than Moore.

Here's to you, Matt Hunwick.

:cheers:

Phil in Absentia
11-05-2014, 11:27 PM
The crazy thing is, his signing thread saw about as much action as Nick Tarnasky's. I don't think most people knew who he was when he was picked up. I doubt many watched him play much outside a handful of Avs games when the Ranger were in town, or vice versa. I know I didn't. I certainly didn't pay too much attention to him in Avs games, either. The offensive D I was always focused on there was Tyson Barrie.

He's been a revelation though. He's giving the Rangers everything John Moore was supposed to. Strong, quick skating. Adept hockey IQ and puck control mixed with real production. His puck control alone has been instrumental in setting up prime scoring opportunities. Most notably tonight in both early goals — the Nash-ass goal he set Brassard up for perfectly, and the spring pass to MSL, catching the Wings on a poorly timed change.

I don't see how Moore gets back into this line-up when Boyle and McDonagh are healthy again. The way I see it, Hunwick has leap-frogged him.

Myusername
11-05-2014, 11:34 PM
Um, what exactly was wrong with my comment that it got deleted? It's been 10 games

The funny thing is Pete is usually the first one to go and rain on everyone's parade when everyone gets excited over tiny sample sizes

Phil in Absentia
11-05-2014, 11:37 PM
Um, what exactly was wrong with my comment that it got deleted? It's been 10 games

The funny thing is Pete is usually the first one to go and rain on everyone's parade when everyone gets excited over tiny sample sizes

It'd have been fine if you expanded on it. "Too early" isn't really an adequate response to a thread like this.

There's definitely something to be said of the sample size still being small, but that doesn't really change the fact that he's doing really well right now on a team ravaged by injuries early.

Respecttheblue
11-05-2014, 11:43 PM
He did OK in camp too. Was right down the line of sight for that shot he got an assist on vs Chicago (MSL deflected it in), so that struck me.

Thing is he kinda fits this team's offensive ethos. Even if Moore reestablishes his game, Honey-wick is a good replacement for Diaz, and should get his share of the play.

rvbcaboose
11-06-2014, 12:22 AM
If Hunwick keeps this up, Moore should be relegated to 7th D man. Offensive capabilities and defensive stability? Sign me up.

When healthy, D pairs should look like:

MacTruck-G
Staal-Boyle
Hunwick-Klein
Moore

Sign me up.

Captain Clutch
11-06-2014, 01:09 AM
Hunwick has been great, brings some offense on the backend

TwoMinutesForNothing
11-06-2014, 01:48 AM
Maybe they want to trade Moore instead of benching him and killing his value. Could explain the Kaberle interest, just to keep him as the spare instead of Moore.

H-Dreamer
11-06-2014, 02:55 AM
Pleasent surprise so far, that's for sure.
Let's see if he can keep it up for a whole season + Playoffs.

Pete
11-06-2014, 06:02 AM

Maybe if you'd bothered to read the entire OP, you'd see that I said he's worth his contract for what he's done just while we're injured.

So the comment "too early" doesn't even make sense. To early for what? To acknowledge what he's already done?

The difference between this thread and your posts is that you use 9 periods of preseason play to confirm a player should make a jump from junior to the NHL. THAT is a to small a sample size to determine what you want it to, just like you can't determine from a you tube clip that Haggerty has the hardest and most accurate shot on the team...when he's playing against non-NHLers.

Vodka Drunkenski
11-06-2014, 06:31 AM
I haven't watched much of the games lately but the bits and pieces that I've seen, he's been doing exactly what we are looking for from him. Not saying this guy is top 4 but he's filling the gap while we're hurt, I'll take it.

DiJock94
11-06-2014, 06:52 AM
He skates well makes smart passes plays solid positional defense. No gripes so far he definitely unseated moore

thes5
11-06-2014, 07:32 AM
He has been exceeding expectation, that's for sure.
What is really perplexing is why the Avs let him go? That is a team that needs to upgrade its defense.

Bretzky
11-06-2014, 08:30 AM
From the Game Thread last night:

Someone please start a Matt Hunwick appreciation thread.

He's been so solid in every zone, has two more assists tonight and actually looked like a real PPQB earlier tonight.

Thanks Pete! :D

Right on. Hunwick has been a revelation thus far.

You can't ask him to compete more than he does defensively against bigger, stronger guys. He's been so focused and so workman-like. I really can't believe how well he fits on this team / in this system.

His breakout pass has been a thing of beauty to watch. And last night, he was given multiple opportunities to QB the PP to a degree, and he looked like he had been doing it for years.

Nothing seems to phase this guy. Nothing seems to overwhelm him.

His hockey-sense and mobility help him make up for what he lacks in size; he's a very smart player.

It's a joy watching him. I hope he can continue to stay focused and keep contributing in all three zones.

NYRangers723
11-06-2014, 08:38 AM
Hunwick has been fasntastic ever since he made that save against San Jose. I wonder is this makes John Moore Trade bait when we get boyle and mac back?

NYRangers723
11-06-2014, 08:40 AM
He has been exceeding expectation, that's for sure.
What is really perplexing is why the Avs let him go? That is a team that needs to upgrade its defense.

It happens sometimes. Stralman was given up on by a few teams and now he is making good money and racking up points

So Nashty
11-06-2014, 08:51 AM
Hope he remains over Moore to be honest. Not to get in the Moore bashing bandwagon but the guy simply does not provide much.

Future
11-06-2014, 09:15 AM
Hunwick has been fasntastic ever since he made that save against San Jose. I wonder is this makes John Moore Trade bait when we get boyle and mac back?
What would anybody even give us for John Moore? A 6th round pick? He's a more than capable 7th defenseman. I'd keep him.

Niko
11-06-2014, 09:24 AM
When more comes back, it'd be nice to retain him for depth purposes, as we've see how thin we can be stretched in "worst case scenarios".

Truth be told, I don't hate Moore, because I feel the majority of his "mistakes" were mental. Not to say I don't prefer Hunwick at this point, but I'm not going to say Moore is useless either.

G1000
11-06-2014, 11:01 AM
What would anybody even give us for John Moore? A 6th round pick? He's a more than capable 7th defenseman. I'd keep him.

Honestly, a team with little on the backend who can afford to invest in the future (think Buffalo, Carolina, Colorado?, Calgary) or a team that's probably going move a really big asset on the backend (Buffalo and Tyler Myers, Washington and Mike Green).

There's always Edmonton.

NYR2711
11-06-2014, 11:16 AM
I have been pleasantly surprised with Hunwick's play so far. He has looked good to me, and has some decent hands, something I wasn't really expecting out of him. I wouldnt mind him as a regular on the back line.

Phil in Absentia
11-06-2014, 11:16 AM

Even Ryan Hollweg fetched a 5th round draft pick.

Moore is worth more based on raw talent alone. I'm willing to bet at least a dozen GM's in this league would be going into a deal for him with the same "I can fix him" mentality Sather has with his own reclamation projects. Especially considering he's just 23 years old and still restricted.

G1000
11-06-2014, 11:24 AM
I'd be wary of moving Moore before locking Staal up though.

DiJock94
11-06-2014, 11:33 AM

Brady Skjei

Phil in Absentia
11-06-2014, 11:49 AM

I'm not so sure the two are related. Right now, today, I don't really see a world in which John Moore is competing for that role, where he'd be asked to step onto that second pairing and eat those minutes against that level of competition.

Though I do see what you are getting at, at least in principle. Sort of a cutting off your nose to spite your face situation.

The good thing is there are a handful of half-decent defenders who can be picked up, presuming they make it to UFA this summer, so even if Staal gets moved, you may be able to throw your hat into the ring for Johnny Oduya, Johnny Boychuk, Andrej Sekera and/or Alec Martinez.

Brady Skjei

Might be ready, but unlikely to be able to step into the role Staal plays today by next season considering he's played in exactly zero professional hockey games to date. Making the jump from NCAA to the NHL full-time doesn't come without its share of stumbles. Just ask Chris Kreider. Most require AHL time, like Hagelin.

jjweimar
11-06-2014, 11:58 AM
Honestly, a team with little on the backend who can afford to invest in the future (think Buffalo, Carolina, Colorado?, Calgary) or a team that's probably going move a really big asset on the backend (Buffalo and Tyler Myers, Washington and Mike Green).

There's always Edmonton.

We couldn't afford Tyler Myers and honestly, living in Western, NY we don't want him. Not a great skater, doesn't move the puck well, he's big but not physical...He'll get torn apart here...

I agree with trading him to a team like Buffalo or Carolina or Edmonton just because they could use a player with some NHL experience and their D is brutal...Go get a 4th rd pick or a prospect in return, or package him with someone like McIlrath and or Miller/Kristo and go get a nice pick or a better dman or a forward...there's wiggle room in any of those trades, Buffalo would be perfect trade those four pick up one player, one prospect one pick.

DiJock94
11-06-2014, 12:12 PM
I'm not so sure the two are related. Right now, today, I don't really see a world in which John Moore is competing for that role, where he'd be asked to step onto that second pairing and eat those minutes against that level of competition.

Though I do see what you are getting at, at least in principle. Sort of a cutting off your nose to spite your face situation.

The good thing is there are a handful of half-decent defenders who can be picked up, presuming they make it to UFA this summer, so even if Staal gets moved, you may be able to throw your hat into the ring for Johnny Oduya, Johnny Boychuk, Andrej Sekera and/or Alec Martinez.

Might be ready, but unlikely to be able to step into the role Staal plays today by next season considering he's played in exactly zero professional hockey games to date. Making the jump from NCAA to the NHL full-time doesn't come without its share of stumbles. Just ask Chris Kreider. Most require AHL time, like Hagelin.

Not always McDonagh only needed brief seasoning I'm sure we could use a stop gap for half a season. Not so sure they let Staal walk anyway.

Slobberknocker
11-06-2014, 12:31 PM
i posted in the game thread the season he first played 53 games with the Bruins and was quite productive. than they traded him to the Av's and his production went down hill. could have been due to the Av's being sorta a bad team there but to me it looks like he gets lost in the mix somewhat.

Than he gets here and gets a talent upgrade and at 29 has maturity and desire. could be a nice three platform base for him to come into his own somewhat.

take 29 years old and looks at the moore bashers at 23 and wonders if quickly discarding him is something that won't look badly some 3 - 4 years down the road.

i dont know about you but i did a lot of stupid things when i was 23.

momentum
11-06-2014, 12:40 PM
It happens sometimes. Stralman was given up on by a few teams and now he is making good money and racking up points

Hopefully Hunwick is our new Stralman, if he is, and we get our d back healthy things look pretty good all of a sudden.

BlueJay
11-06-2014, 12:41 PM
Guy has been better than expected, for sure. Then again, he's 29 so...

So, some of you would rather trade Moore before McIlrath? Don't wanna derail this deserved thread.

Respecttheblue
11-06-2014, 01:00 PM

Hunwick aside I think we've established that there's a ton of "like" here to what he brings to the table and how he seems to fit with the team's offensive leanings

* that our defensive depth could evaporate so quickly that we have 3 or 4 men on the blue line who would otherwise be playing in Hartford, were it not for the fortunate opportunity to get a look in NYC, should be a warning about how quickly defensive strength can become question mark not something you want int he playoffs. Simply put, we need the manpower and have to be very careful about how we handle the remaining healthy guys. No guarantee all the guys come back healthy and stay that way.

*remember when we were scrapping around with Bickel Wywitka, Eminger when injuries hit it can change on a dime. Another reason why you keep tried and true assets like Staal *we already lost one in Stralman.

*it was only a season or so ago that a lot of folk were calling J Moore McDonagh lite. I'd be wary of bailing on him at such a young age. Sure, I could see Slats trading at the deadline (or even now if the right offer came along and it better be good cos Moore still fits in the model of promising YOUNG defenseman with NHL experience which is trade gold) if he can up-tool to get a sure-thing veteran blueliner for the playoffs, but we are not there yet and J. Moore is yet young .. D-men can take a significantly longer time to ripen into defensive stalwarts. We got pedigree in McDonagh and Staal, spoiled, Sauer was another fast learner at the NHL level. Doesn't aways work out quite so quickly.

momentum
11-06-2014, 01:53 PM
Guy has been better than expected, for sure. Then again, he's 29 so...

So, some of you would rather trade Moore before McIlrath? Don't wanna derail this deserved thread.

At this point I'd rather play Moore than McIlrath for sure. So no. I'd not trade Moore before McIlrath.

The Dude
11-08-2014, 02:20 AM
Maybe they want to trade Moore instead of benching him and killing his value. Could explain the Kaberle interest, just to keep him as the spare instead of Moore.

Exactly what I was thinking. Wondering who they can package him with to clear a contract spot. Malone I guess? Mueller? Miller? Mcllrath?

What exactly would they be getting in return for such possible packages?

Liking Hunwick. Thought he and the dude they traded to clear a contract for Duclair to fit, were pretty good in camp.

I'd like to see Moore go. Just never liked his game, and never bought the hype. Really wish they gave DelZotto the leash Moore has gotten. I still see DelZotto as a good young player, with a chance to really be good.

Bretzky
11-08-2014, 10:57 AM
They gave Del Zotto a bigger, longer leash than Moore.

He had a bigger role, got more minutes both ES and PP, and was kept around despite making the same mistakes over and over while his offensive production and confidence declined to nothing.

God damnit, Lisa Ann.

Anyway, I don't see a reason to trade Moore just to trade him. Not right now. Hunwick took his spot. Moore is 23. Maybe he takes his spot back at some point. Who knows. If Moore was drafted by NYR, some of you would have a lot more patience with him IMO.

Pete
11-08-2014, 11:16 AM
AV didn't give DZ any leash at all.

Tonybologna
11-08-2014, 06:31 PM
What I "love" about the injuries is once again, the Rangers seem to have found a diamond in the rough who adds incredible depth to our blue line. I was worried about our defense this year losing Stralman, and Moore looking like crap a bit, but if Hunwick has found a another level to his game here and continues playing like this if/when he drops down to the 3rd pairing on a healthy team then I am confident this defense won't have trouble. Moore could even benefit from being 7th defender and having competition for a spot.

Also even though Stralman > Boyle and Hunwick
Boyle and Hunwick > Moore

So I think our 3rd pairing gets better than last years, while our 2nd takes a bit of a hit defensively with Boyle, he was brought in for offense so I'm not too concerned as long as he brings more offense on the power play and at even strength. Just trying to look on the bright side of losing Stralman and all these injuries which it looks like the team is coming out of pretty well.

Cheers Hunwick!

Bretzky
11-08-2014, 06:52 PM
AV didn't give DZ any leash at all.

And he shouldn't have, because by the time AV got here, Del Zotto was a turnover machine with zero confidence who couldn't be relied on to take a regular shift without being a liability, and his offense had all but dried up. Not sure what AV could've done other than let him make more turnovers and continue to put him out there (oh wait, that's what Tortorella did and DZ didn't play his way through it; he only made more and more mental mistakes).

Bretzky
11-08-2014, 06:53 PM
What I "love" about the injuries is once again, the Rangers seem to have found a diamond in the rough who adds incredible depth to our blue line. I was worried about our defense this year losing Stralman, and Moore looking like crap a bit, but if Hunwick has found a another level to his game here and continues playing like this if/when he drops down to the 3rd pairing on a healthy team then I am confident this defense won't have trouble. Moore could even benefit from being 7th defender and having competition for a spot.

Also even though Stralman > Boyle and Hunwick
Boyle and Hunwick > Moore

So I think our 3rd pairing gets better than last years, while our 2nd takes a bit of a hit defensively with Boyle, he was brought in for offense so I'm not too concerned as long as he brings more offense on the power play and at even strength. Just trying to look on the bright side of losing Stralman and all these injuries which it looks like the team is coming out of pretty well.

Cheers Hunwick!

Agreed.

Pete
11-08-2014, 06:55 PM
And he shouldn't have, because by the time AV got here, Del Zotto was a turnover machine with zero confidence who couldn't be relied on to take a regular shift without being a liability, and his offense had all but dried up. Not sure what AV could've done other than let him make more turnovers and continue to put him out there (oh wait, that's what Tortorella did and DZ didn't play his way through it; he only made more and more mental mistakes).

Well, you've said your peace, and neither guy is here, so this is the point you'll be expected to drop it and move on.

There are fair conversations that can be had about both guys, but you aren't prepared to have them, so again, let it go.

Bretzky
11-08-2014, 07:28 PM
Well, you've said your peace, and neither guy is here, so this is the point you'll be expected to drop it and move on.

There are fair conversations that can be had about both guys, but you aren't prepared to have them, so again, let it go.

I have no idea what you're talking about, Pete. PM me?

Pete
11-08-2014, 07:29 PM
I have no idea what you're talking about, Pete. PM me?

Sure, let's talk after the game.

Dunny
11-08-2014, 10:05 PM
Didn't think he was very good tonight.

High and Wide
11-08-2014, 10:09 PM
He had a poor game, but I don't think a single player stood out defensively.

Pete
11-09-2014, 01:42 AM
Didn't think he was very good tonight.

He sucked. Like 2/3 of the team.

Dunny
11-09-2014, 07:46 AM
Yeah, forwards didn't help the back end. They all obviously got caught up in playing the Leafs game, which is fun and I think they're better suited to play it than the Leafs are but the back end needs some help.

Bretzky
11-09-2014, 08:09 PM
Damnit Pete. Ever since this thread he's been making soft plays and turning the puck over.

Pete
11-09-2014, 08:16 PM
Damnit Pete. Ever since this thread he's been making soft plays and turning the puck over.

I know. I fucked up.