PDA

View Full Version : What's Up With Zuccarello?

Morphinity
11-04-2014, 10:17 AM
GP
G
A
P
+/-

Our favorite Honey Badger is starting the season in a bit of a slump. Outside of that one game (1g,2a) where the team bursted to beat MIN, he has 1 assist.

He's obviously banged up as he was a not-so-healthy scratch last night, so is it him playing hurt (as many people have projected)? Is it him being snakebitten (he's had quite a few chances)? Is he missing Pouliot? Is the constant line-juggling in the face of the team trying to manage without Stepan affecting him?

Thoughts?

DiJock94
11-04-2014, 10:37 AM
Injuries and tougher Matchups ? He was getting abused the first few games

Phil in Absentia
11-04-2014, 10:41 AM
Hard to say. Sample size is probably still too small to really draw a determination from this. For the time being, I'd just chalk it up to a combination of line-juggling, first season away from Pouliot and Brassard in terms of line mate consistency and just a poor start.

AmericanJesus
11-04-2014, 10:54 AM
The scoring doesn't concern me (small sample size) as much as the overall play. He hasn't been the consistent gnat that we're used to seeing, buzzing around opponents until they cough up the puck. Probably banged up some even before the groin injury, would be my guess.

Pete
11-04-2014, 10:56 AM
Just put Kreider on that line when Steps is back and call it a day.

Mike
11-04-2014, 10:58 AM
The scoring doesn't concern me (small sample size) as much as the overall play. He hasn't been the consistent gnat that we're used to seeing, buzzing around opponents until they cough up the puck. Probably banged up some even before the groin injury, would be my guess.

I see what you did there.

Puck Head
11-04-2014, 01:22 PM
Just put Kreider on that line when Steps is back and call it a day.

Sounds good to me.
Plenty of speed on the outside, and the one area Stepan looks solid typically is taking care of his defensive assignment.

Pete
11-04-2014, 01:35 PM
Sounds good to me.
Plenty of speed on the outside, and the one area Stepan looks solid typically is taking care of his defensive assignment.

No, I meant:

Nash Stepan MSL
Kreider Brassard Zuccarello

Cash or Czech?
11-04-2014, 01:36 PM
He has tougher matchups because last year he was on the third line. Now he's on the 2nd/1st line and opponents are targeting him. He has the 2nd highest Corsi QoC on the team (is this being used right? I'm only starting to warm up to advanced stats) while last year he was 11th. I believe he took advantage of being an unknown quantity and now that opponents know him and target him, he has to step up and elevate his game even more.

Travis Bickle
11-05-2014, 05:12 AM
The good injury news for the Blueshirts is Vigneault sounded optimistic about winger Mats Zuccarello being ready for Wednesday after he missed Monday’s 4-3 shootout loss to the Blues with what is assumed to be a lower-body injury.

http://nypost.com/2014/11/04/stepan-yet-to-pass-vigneault-test/

Future
11-05-2014, 09:21 AM
I think Zucc, like St. Louis, is gripping it. Just seems tight to me.

Valriera
11-05-2014, 10:12 AM
Him and Brass need a big guy to play with. Zucc started the season with Brassard and St. Louis for three games or so and that line was always terrible. Once Stepan gets back this situation is a whole lot better.