PDA

View Full Version : Praise For Derick Brassard In Absence of Derek Stepan

CreaseCrusader91
11-03-2014, 10:23 PM
4-5-9 in 11 games played.
Second on team in scoring.
0.81 P/GP average.
Winning 56.7% of faceoffs.

And he's killing penalties. Wasn't a fan when he got here. Am a fan now.

With Derek Stepan on the verge of returning to the lineup, I think Brass deserves some praise for how he's handled his role as the de facto No. 1 center. At times St. Louis has been the top center in name, but I think Brassard's contributions to date have been solid. He is definitely showing the skill he has, but I am hoping he can maintain it somewhat.

We all know that consistency, or lack thereof, has been an issue with him, but kudos to him how he's stepped up in a time in which many were skeptical on how he'd handle himself.

Really looking forward to see how things are once Stepan is back, and some of the burden is off his shoulders.

Pete
11-03-2014, 10:31 PM

Dunny
11-03-2014, 10:47 PM
I doubt him every year and every year he pulls me back in.

Respecttheblue
11-03-2014, 11:00 PM
Would rep Brassard...but will have to make do with reppin Crease Crusader instead ;)

Bretzky
11-03-2014, 11:07 PM
The only thing preventing him from being a legitimate reliable 2C is consistency. If he can play the way he has for most nights this season, he'll end up with 50+ points.

Very pleased with him so far. Still, would like him to look for his shot more or try to create his own shot. He very creative and good at creating space but always dishes it after making a nice move. Needs to use that great shot of his more for sure!

CreaseCrusader91
11-03-2014, 11:22 PM

Great point, added to OP.

Slobberknocker
11-04-2014, 07:01 AM
he's been solid. that being said i'd like to see him shoot a bit more.

AmericanJesus
11-04-2014, 08:42 AM
Brassard has stepped up and done everything we needed him to do. People legitimately questioned how he'd react to having his responsibilities elevated this season after signing a new contract. Well, they got elevated even higher than anyone would have thought with Stepan's injury and he's done nothing so far but shown he can handle it. If he can maintain, when Stepan gets up to form the center position may not be the area of concern we all thought it would be this season.

Pete
11-04-2014, 08:44 AM
Brassard has stepped up and done everything we needed him to do. People legitimately questioned how he'd react to having his responsibilities elevated this season after signing a new contract. Well, they got elevated even higher than anyone would have thought with Stepan's injury and he's done nothing so far but shown he can handle it. If he can maintain, when Stepan gets up to form the center position may not be the area of concern we all thought it would be this season.

Truth. I wouldn't change a thing about the way he's playing right now. .81 P/G, whatever he's doing is working. And he's doing it without Zuke, proving that he doesn't only have chemistry with one guy.

NYRangers723
11-04-2014, 08:47 AM
Brass got off to a awful start but since he scored that first goal he has been real good. Zucc has been hurt most of the year so he hasnt been able to get in the flow yet.

Morphinity
11-04-2014, 09:20 AM
Can he do it for 10 more games? 20 more games?

Brassard always does this. He goes on 12 or so game stretches where he's amazing and you say to yourself, "Wow, this guy is so skilled. How did Columbus ever trade him?" And then he goes 8 games where he gets 1 assist, and you're like "Oh yeah..."

Phil in Absentia
11-04-2014, 09:33 AM
Can he do it for 10 more games? 20 more games?

Brassard always does this. He goes on 12 or so game stretches where he's amazing and you say to yourself, "Wow, this guy is so skilled. How did Columbus ever trade him?" And then he goes 8 games where he gets 1 assist, and you're like "Oh yeah..."

Of course he does — he's a second line center. If he was "consistent", he'd be a first. I see people say this type of stuff all the time as if it's a legitimate knock on players. "He's not consistent!"

Of course he isn't. There are maybe a handful of players in the entire league who are. Even twenty-goal scorers aren't consistent. If they were, they'd be 82-goal scorers. It's why P/G and G/G are such great statistics, especially if you view them over multiple years. In that respect, Brassard actually is pretty consistent, year-to-year.

Morphinity
11-04-2014, 09:38 AM
Of course he does — he's a second line center. If he was "consistent", he'd be a first. I see people say this type of stuff all the time as if it's a legitimate knock on players. "He's not consistent!"

Of course he isn't. There are maybe a handful of players in the entire league who are. Even twenty-goal scorers aren't consistent. If they were, they'd be 82-goal scorers. It's why P/G and G/G are such great statistics, especially if you view them over multiple years. In that respect, Brassard actually is pretty consistent, year-to-year.

Brassard is streaky. Is that better? You get production in bursts and then he vanishes.

I understand how consistency works.

CreaseCrusader91
11-04-2014, 09:53 AM
Brassard is streaky. Is that better? You get production in bursts and then he vanishes.

This I can understand, and it is a valid concern. I think maybe things will play out differently since he is producing as the guy now.

When Step is back the dynamic will change, and that should help. It may not, but at least he's killing penalties and winning faceoffs in addition.

That's something that will still make him valuable when his offense hits a skid.

Just playing D.A.

Phil in Absentia
11-04-2014, 10:00 AM

It is, yes. It might seem like minutia, but to me, consistency and streakiness aren't really the same thing. If a guy scores a goal every three games, that's consistent with his scoring pattern, ya know?

Streaky to me indicates a player scores a lot in bunches and then falls off for periods of time that can't really be tracked as well.

But I do agree, he's a streaky scorer. It's what's held him back from reaching the potential he came into the league with. The Jackets were hoping for a P/G first-line center.

Morphinity
11-04-2014, 10:01 AM
This I can understand, and it is a valid concern. I think maybe things will play out differently since he is producing as the guy now.

When Step is back the dynamic will change, and that should help. It may not, but at least he's killing penalties and winning faceoffs in addition.

That's something that will still make him valuable when his offense hits a skid.

Just playing D.A.

That is a major departure from last year. Hopefully he can keep that up. Maybe it will lead to him being more consistent ("consistency" means more than scoring a point every game, Phil. Jeez.).

Morphinity
11-04-2014, 10:03 AM
It is, yes. It might seem like minutia, but to me, consistency and streakiness aren't really the same thing. If a guy scores a goal every three games, that's consistent with his scoring pattern, ya know?

Streaky to me indicates a player scores a lot in bunches and then falls off for periods of time that can't really be tracked as well.

But I do agree, he's a streaky scorer. It's what's held him back from reaching the potential he came into the league with. The Jackets were hoping for a P/G first-line center.

And why wouldn't they? His 2nd season (31 games) he shot up to .81 p/g and the skill was obviously there. Then the next season he dropped to .46 p/g.

Sounds like another borderline 1st/2nd line center we have in our organization.....

Future
11-04-2014, 10:12 AM

I like the word streaky a lot better than inconsistent for Brassard. And I agree with you. But I think most 2nd line players are like that, to be honest.

AmericanJesus
11-04-2014, 10:51 AM
Start a thread to praise something. End up complaining about it. Internet wins!

Morphinity
11-04-2014, 10:52 AM
What does Pete call it? "Perspective"?

Phil in Absentia
11-04-2014, 10:54 AM
And why wouldn't they? His 2nd season (31 games) he shot up to .81 p/g and the skill was obviously there. Then the next season he dropped to .46 p/g.

Sounds like another borderline 1st/2nd line center we have in our organization.....

Most likely, yeah. There's always the chance that he just finds a gear and goes, almost like what you are seeing with Nash, who is technically beyond what should be his "best years" (those are averages, after all), but I'm quite content with the idea of him being a 55~ point center. For his price tag, his age, and his playoff production, I'd call that a "well worth it" scenario.

He's pacing almost 70 points today, which will almost certainly come back to Earth a bit, but it's a really great sign to see.

Pete
11-04-2014, 11:04 AM
HIs contract value is that of a 55 point player. I'm expecting that.

Phil in Absentia
11-04-2014, 11:13 AM

Same. Any more is gravy. Basically, I'm looking for like 18-20 goals and around 55 points, plus playoffs.

Morphinity
11-04-2014, 11:15 AM

Yep. I hope he exceeds that though! It would sure be nice, and it sure is nice now.

RichieNextel305
11-04-2014, 11:22 AM
I was weary of getting Brassard in that trade because I felt as though he was mentioned in trade rumors everywhere, and if a guy that young with that much upside was rumored to go just about everywhere, then he likely wasn't what he was talked up to be.

Since he's gotten here though, he has steadily improved and become a very solid player for this team. I have no regrets about the trade at this point. I love Gaborik, but the move had to be made. And Brassard has become a key player, and a gigantic playoff performer.

G1000
11-05-2014, 11:04 PM
Make it 11 in 12, and his increased desire to pull the trigger has been rather useful on the powerplay.

Phil in Absentia
11-05-2014, 11:07 PM
2-5-7 in his last four games.

11 points in 12 games played thus far.

Dude is killin' it.

Travis Bickle
11-05-2014, 11:16 PM
Brass is en fuego right now.

So Nashty
11-06-2014, 08:52 AM
In all fairness that Nash goal was all him last night too lol

wrobles70
11-06-2014, 09:12 AM
Br-Ass goal

DiJock94
11-06-2014, 10:21 AM
Was not sold on that Beassard contract at all. Thought he was a very streaky 45 pt player at he was what he was but if more ice time is all he really needed than I'm thrilled because he is either on another typical hot streak or he is the real deal and we got him at a great price. Two thumbs up... For now

G1000
11-06-2014, 11:10 AM
In all fairness that Nash goal was all him last night too lol

And squats. Don't forget squats.

CreaseCrusader91
11-23-2014, 10:24 PM
With his great pass to Nash tonight, Brassard picked up his 10th assists of the season. 6-10-16 in 20 games, and he has 11 points in his last 11 games. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop, consistency has been the issue with him, but he just keeps impressing me night after night.

Pete
11-23-2014, 10:31 PM
Like MSL said, you can't judge a player by numbers...He seems to already have come down to earth. Really not a noticeable game. That said, guess in games like this when you win 5-0, everyone stands out.

MacTruck
01-03-2015, 10:24 PM
This thread probably warrants a name change, but how about Derick Brassard!

Brass is currently on pace for 71 points and has been one of our most consistent offensive producers. There has been a lot of talk about the impressive play of Klein, Nash, and Stepan, but in my opinion no player has exceeded expectations to the level that Brass has.

This team also has 4 players on track for 68+ points (Nash 87, Stepan 73, Brassard 71, St. Louis 68).

When was the last time the New York Rangers has 4 players with 68+ points at the end of a season?

1995-1996: (Mark Messier 99, Brian Leetch 85, Pat Verbeek 82, Luc Robitaille 69)

Vodka Drunkenski
01-03-2015, 11:49 PM
Streaky player, need more consistency

CreaseCrusader91
01-04-2015, 12:03 AM
Streaky player, need more consistency

I think this is just the player he is, 71 points is an improvement of anything he's done thus far.

RichieNextel305
01-09-2015, 04:33 PM
I was going to start my own thread on the guy. But I figured I'd just bump this one up.

This guy has been outstanding this year. I think he's finally breaking out. I believe he's on pace for 75 points. He's having a great season, and really looks comfortable playing here in New York. Sure it doesn't hurt that he's playing on a line with a guy who may score 50 goals, lol.

Phil in Absentia
01-09-2015, 04:34 PM
Pacing 73 points, to be technical, but absolutely pacing a career year. It seems he's finally found his stride at the NHL level, and you can see (with consistency) the level of play that made him such a high draft pick in the first place.

Morphinity
01-09-2015, 04:57 PM
He looks good out there too. He's got a confidence about him that he needs to play well.

Lt. Dan
01-09-2015, 05:04 PM
Very creative player and how sick is his slap shot? Damn

Pete
01-09-2015, 05:32 PM
Very creative player and how sick is his slap shot? Damn
Totally agree. Most creative offensive forward we have.

Drew a Penalty
01-09-2015, 05:33 PM
I was a huge doubter even through December. He's been consistent long for almost the entire season though. Can't deny that he's been good.

MacTruck
01-09-2015, 06:07 PM
Totally agree. Most creative offensive forward we have.
An argument can be made for both his linemates but he's up there.

CreaseCrusader91
01-09-2015, 06:37 PM
Slats did right thing signing to the deal he did. That support and extension of faith must have helped Brassard's confidence.

Pete
01-09-2015, 07:52 PM
He's entering the years forwards peak.

Vodka Drunkenski
01-09-2015, 08:20 PM
I have to admit, he's made me a fan of his. Streaky but could be a lot worse

RichieNextel305
01-09-2015, 09:06 PM
I agree and disagree as far as him being streaky. Maybe occasionally with putting points up. But you notice him and he creates chances just about every night.

Pete
01-09-2015, 09:44 PM
I agree and disagree as far as him being streaky. Maybe occasionally with putting points up. But you notice him and he creates chances just about every night.
Agree. When he isn't producing it's because he isn't shooting. When he's using his shot and not pass-only he's very dangerous and produces.

Slobberknocker
01-09-2015, 09:52 PM
he figured it out this year. been a joy to watch.

Lt. Dan
01-09-2015, 10:20 PM
Agree. When he isn't producing it's because he isn't shooting. When he's using his shot and not pass-only he's very dangerous and produces.

It's been mentioned numerous times by some of the players that Brassard watches tons of tape too. He's a big hockey nerd and truly loves the game.

SaveByRichter35
01-10-2015, 08:18 AM
Just needs to bump up that face off win % a smidge. Overall a great season so far though, lets hope he keeps going!

Pete
01-10-2015, 08:45 AM
Just needs to bump up that face off win % a smidge. Overall a great season so far though, lets hope he keeps going!
That's really nitpicking though for everything else he's done.

SaveByRichter35
01-10-2015, 09:43 AM
I'm not nitpicking. I agreed he has had a fantastic season so far. All I am saying I'd like to see his fo% go up. That goes for all of our centers. Would you rather it go down?

!br-avery!
01-10-2015, 10:25 AM
I was a huge doubter even through December. He's been consistent long for almost the entire season though. Can't deny that he's been good.He also looks a lot more confident and comfortable even from last season

Pete
01-10-2015, 10:26 AM
I'm not nitpicking. I agreed he has had a fantastic season so far. All I am saying I'd like to see his fo% go up. That goes for all of our centers. Would you rather it go down?

That's a silly comment.

His face off percentage probably isn't changing. He's raised it 3% since coming over from Columbus. He's the team leader in assists and 3rd in points. He's done everything we could've asked for and more. So knocking the one thing he's below average at is nitpicking IMO.

Every player has holes in their game.

SaveByRichter35
01-10-2015, 11:31 AM
I'd like to see everyone do better at faceoffs.

Pete
01-10-2015, 11:39 AM
Fair enough. It's certainly an area of need.

SaveByRichter35
01-10-2015, 12:00 PM
Sorry to be so adamant about it...its a problem on my beer league team too. Guys lost several key d-zone faceoffs last night that thankfully never made it into the net behind me. Just don't wanna see it bite the Rangers in the ass you know lol.

Pete
01-10-2015, 12:14 PM
Sorry to be so adamant about it...its a problem on my beer league team too. Guys lost several key d-zone faceoffs last night that thankfully never made it into the net behind me. Just don't wanna see it bite the Rangers in the ass you know lol.
I hear ya dude. Sucks that only Moore is competent. Would be great to add a Boyle type responsible big bodied winger who can draw.

SaveByRichter35
01-10-2015, 12:35 PM
If only we had someone like that...oh wait

CreaseCrusader91
02-24-2015, 10:58 PM
With an assist tonight Brassard made some personal history.

He now has 13 goals and 35 assists for 48 points. Previous high was 47 with Columbus in 2010-11.

Brassard is now pacing 18 goals, 49 assists and 67 points with a 0.84 PPG.

Quite an amazing year for NYR's $5 million center. :thumbs:

Keirik
02-25-2015, 12:17 AM
He's certainly made a believer of me for now. I still worry about him in the postseason a bit because of his size. He's not that small but he plays small in a way. He really didn't do it for me last playoffs

Patrick Bateman
02-25-2015, 09:04 AM
He's certainly made a believer of me for now. I still worry about him in the postseason a bit because of his size. He's not that small but he plays small in a way. He really didn't do it for me last playoffs

Don't really agree there, he was the best skater in the 2012-13 playoffs and he wasn't awful last playoffs. He also shows a bit of edge at times

momentum
02-25-2015, 09:25 AM
Brassard is a very good player. Pretty much the perfect 2nd line center IMO. Have no complaint about him whatsoever. Seems to love the game and works hard every night. creative well rounded player signed to a good contract.

NYRangerFan
02-27-2015, 01:18 AM
We have a good 1-2 punch with Stepan and Brassard. If we can somehow add another top 6 center to this team, we are set

JOHN
02-27-2015, 09:05 AM
I don't have a favorite ranger, but Brassard is up there in terms of guys I really like. He's become a really good player.